The Disaster Artist (2017)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Nov 30, 2017.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention I watched both Volumes of Best F(r)iends a week or two ago. It was... a movie, I guess? Or two movies, I should say.

Part of The Room's bizarre charm is that you have Tommy playing the everyman when he's anything but. Here, he's playing an oddball mortician, and he's actually kind of perfect for the role. So you really don't have that unintentional humor. It's mostly just weird.

I will say that Volume 1 was moderately interesting, but Volume 2 was just boring. So yeah, that happened.

Oh, and seems like a good time to share this:

Workshed likes this.
  2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Jesus that looks soooooo fucking bad!

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Greg's looking a liiiiiiiiittle bloated these days.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Is it me or did Big Shark come out of nowhere? You heard things about Tommy and Greg working on their epic drama for a few years so that was no surprise but I never caught rumblings about anything else. So for it to come so hot off the heels of their latest movie is a big surprise.

It's one thing for these guys to scrap together enough money to put together a road trip drama. Hell that's why so many of them got made in the 70's it was the cheapest way to make a movie without sets! This feels different to me. You need to put up some big upfront cash to get something like a shark movie. Shooting in water is the opposite of cheap. You might not think it with the deluge of bad cheap shark movies we've been seeing but it's true. You've got expensive equipment that can't get wet so going consumer just isn't going to cut it. And renting out places that can handle that kind of water ain't cheap. And just the production design needed to handle water is serious business.

So I'm curious. But with so much Wiseau so soon I wonder if the novelty will wear off to the point that even The Room looses its charm. Once Tommy Wiseau becomes overexposed it just looses its mystique as it were.