The Devil from Massacre Video

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by russweiss, Jan 2, 2020.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Trailer:

3. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

This movie looks like it eats bonkers and shits crazy
    I went and blind bought it at the 35 dollar price on amazon.

4. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I love this kind of stuff, I preordered this directly when it first went up on the Massacre site a few months ago. Hopefully, I'll get my copy before the regular release date.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I watched the trailer for this on the recent American Rampage / Danger USA Blu-ray, and it looks completely nuts.

I mean WOW, it truly looked like the actors really went through a disgusting hell for this one! o_O

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Will the Massacre Video version keep the horrible subtitles? "How dare you even hold each other!"

That's one reason I'll never dump laserdisc as format; the Hong Kong movies taken directly from theatrical prints, with mangled English subtitles. "Love is a conveyor belt of warmth"

8. russweiss

I used to own quite a few Hong Kong laserdiscs. It became pretty expensive when they started splitting one movie onto two laserdiscs. During the 90's when I was really collecting and watching HK titles not only was there a problem with the subtitle translations but often they used white writing and it became totally unreadable during some daylight scenes.

9. russweiss

There was a disclaimer before the film began. It stated that the only known print was used for the transfer and that it had extensive damage. That is not an understatement. Of all the discs I own I can't think of one that has more print damage than this. It's unfortunate because the clarity is pretty good and the damage really distracts in a lot of scenes. It also permeates the entire film.

The movie itself is very Asian. There is a vengeful ghost, black magic curses, and themes of revenge. The curses include many snakes, worms, eels, maggots, and centipedes. Be warned there is an on screen actual killing of a snake which I know some people on here says really puts them off. Even though there are many outrageous scenes that you can typically only find in Asian films I still can't really recommended it. I'm glad I had a chance to see it but doubt I would ever watch it again. Recently I watched Seeding of a Ghost which is a far superior film.

As an extra there is a 1" tape master transfer as well. I really can't figure out why they added this. First off it is VHS quality. It's also pan and scan for a scope film so you're missing nearly half the image. Lastly, it's dubbed which is rarely a good thing when it comes to foreign films.