The Dark Tower (2017, Stephen King Adaptation)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, May 3, 2017.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I finally watched Dark Tower. I'm not sure what I think. It wasn't what I was expecting. I still want to read the books. But I guess I was expecting something more epic. Something worthy of all the books that people like. I guess this was kind of generic. Almost light summer fantasy movie type. Although it does have its dark moments. I did like the tie in stuff with the other Stephen King properties. And Idris Elba always seems to turn in a good performance no matter the movie.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Hands down the worst SK adaptation ever in the history of SK adaptations... and that is saying a lot. In order to even remotely understand and appreciate the story as presented you really need to have read the books first, and if you’ve read the books you would understand and hate how awful this movie truly is. It is a film without an audience and satisfies nobody.

Zombie Dude and othervoice1 like this.
  3. Dave

Dave Pimp

Loved the books though I was disappointed with four-six. I will give them another try eventually.

I never watched this movie and never will. Hopefully Amazon gets it right with the show.

othervoice1 likes this.
  4. ImmortalSlasher

Really? I remember posting about some Stephen King stuff and how I was surprised by some of the dark scenes in the IT movie. But the Under the Dome and Mist TV series are really bad. I only stuck with those to see how they were going to end. Dark Tower might feel a bit generic to me at times but it's far better than those two TV shows.

But I'm going to read the Dark Tower books as I read a book spoiler when I was curious about the overall Stephen King Universe. I read that
    the movie takes place after the books. And that the gunslinger character is going through a time loop.
    So I'm curious how the movie will play out once I read the books.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I was speaking specifically about theatrical adaptations, not TV shows. I haven’t seen either one of the shows you mentioned.

6. ImmortalSlasher

Then avoid those two like the plague. Unless you just want to watch for the pretty lead actresses.