The Bye Bye Man (2017)

Discussion in 'General' started by Harry Warden, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Guest

2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I mean, we aren't even trying anymore with these titles.

Trailer:

othervoice1 likes this.
  3. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

This is out on Friday, anyone going? I'm pretty easy to please, so I'll give it a shot. Really gotta wonder about that title though, I've seen the trailer in the theater a couple times and there were huge bursts of laughter once the title shows at the end. Not sure why you'd make a serious horror movie and call it something that's going to make 99% of people who hear the title giggle.

Workshed likes this.
  4. Dave

Dave Pimp

It really is the worst title I have seen in years. Don't judge a book by its cover, I know. Can't help not wanting to see this due to crap title.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I do want to check it out, but I went to the theater twice last weekend (Underworld and A Monster Calls) and there's a barrage of titles all through January and February I want to check out (Split, Get Out, Resident Evil, etc), so unfortunately this one doesn't quite make the cut.

I'll check it out when it hits disc or HBO.

6. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Guest

My brother and I plan on going this weekend. I will let you know if it's worth the cost of admission.

7. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

8. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Guest

9. Natas

Natas I like movies with tits and blood

10. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Saw this today. Certainly not very good, but not nearly as terrible as the 1/10 reviews I'm seeing on every site make it out to be. Very stupid at times, with a couple of huge unintentional belly laugh worthy scenes (the seance "Don't say it, don't think it!" scene was a howler), but overall it was pretty mediocre and perfectly watchable. I wouldn't see it twice, and I can't really recommend a full price theater ticket for it, but I didn't want to gouge my eyes out while it was on.

I will remember this one for a while though because I encountered the worst piece of shit assholes I've ever seen in a movie theater, and I go a lot. I've gone to over a hundred movies in the past two years. Never seen anything like this before. Three ugly teenagers - a girl and two dudes, show up a few minutes late, talk full volume for a few minutes before quieting down. 10 minutes later a huge cloud of fruit scented smoke rises from their row. This happens about a dozen more times. Lots of talking, laughing, at one point there was some brief singing. About ten minutes before the end of the movie, the girl climbs over the seats into my row (it's reserved seating so there's literally a small wall she had to scale to get up there), climbs over my row to the back of the theater and gets in front of the window to try and make shadow puppets.

I kept my mouth shut because I've got a pretty bad temper that I'm trying to keep under control. If I open my mouth, I can't just say "Hey, can you guys stop it?", I go immediately into a "Cut the shit, or I'll rip your fucking throats out!" level of crazy. If it were a movie I cared about I would've just narced on them, but I didn't really want to start any kind of shit over The Bye Bye Man.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  11. Natas

Oh man......I respect your restraint. Don't know what I would have done in that scenario. Did anyone say something to them? I mean.....teens will be teens...... but SHADOW PUPPETS?!?!?! That slut was asking for a backhand. LOL

Looks like you went to a matinee too? Damn......you can usually avoid bullshit like that with matinees. I'm sorry you got the shaft this afternoon. Just keep in mind there is karma....and those 3 little snot rags will be addicted to percocet, pan handling on the side of the highway, advertising blowjobs for cheeseburgers before you know it. :D

12. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Well there were only 5 people in the theater, me in the back, a lady by herself in the front and then the three kids in front me so nobody said anything to them. I was about to lose it, if she had stayed at the window trying to do shadow puppets for two more seconds I would've went off, but thankfully for both of us she stopped and went back to her seat. I was fully turned around staring at her with my arms open in the "are you fucking retarded?" gesture.

Yeah, I pretty much only go to the earliest showtime I can, you usually avoid assholes and teenagers that way, but not today. I love horror, good and bad, so I try and go to pretty much any movie that comes out, but it seems like a lot of shitheads also like to go to horror movies so I usually wait for a weekday the weekend after a movie comes out. Guess I'll have to do that for Resident Evil in a couple weeks.

Natas likes this.
  13. Natas

"Hey bitch, you take shadow puppet requests? Can ya do giraffe?"

upload_2017-1-13_13-38-13.jpeg

14. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I was considering seeing this, but when I saw that it had originally been given an R rating and is coming out with a PG-13 I decided it was pointless. Same thing with the cut-down Amityville movie if that ever ends up actually meeting a release date. It's the worst turn-off for me. If it was shot as a PG-13, I at least consider giving it a shot...but these movies that make cuts after the fact will never get my business.

Zombie Dude, Harry Warden and hots4 like this.
  15. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Guest

I can certainly respect your opinion. I didn't know it was originally rated R. It sucks that they would cut it down to a PG-13 level. Man, they are really trying hard to push this film too. The amount of advertising is more than I can remember for a film in a very long time. They must be desperate to get folks to the theater.

Zombie Dude and bigwes15 like this.
  16. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

Suicide, restraining your anger like that can't be good for your health...

17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I've seen a few reviews for Bye Bye Man and it doesn't sound good at all. I hear the acting is pretty laughable and poor so not sure the R rating would fix any issues there. Still hate hearing about films like this and the new Amityville being cut to PG-13. It makes me sick. Amityville sounded pretty promising during the test screen phase so hopefully the bluray (if it ever comes) will have the R cut.

18. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Earned a fucking D- over at the AV Club:

19. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Guest

My brother and I were supposed to go this past weekend, but something came up in his schedule and he couldn't go. I said Fuck it, and stayed home after hearing/reading the terrible reviews. If it comes to our cheap$3 theater, then I might go.

20. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

will wait for dvd