The best and worst of Blu-Ray quality

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bigdaddyhorse, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Oh, I should get that To Live and Die in LA disc then. I just saw it for the first time last year and loved it. I picked up a copy of the SE DVD, but haven't watched it yet. I'd gladly go Blu for that movie. Is it cheap anywhere?

I also got The Wild Bunch when it was on sale (~$10), but haven't watched it yet. That's a movie you need to devote some time to. I did preview the disc though, and it looks amazing.

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Yea that is going to make me double dip whenever that actually gets released.

3. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I got my copy for 10$ (5 bucks off for trade-in here in Canada at HMV), but Amazon has it for $15.99...pretty good. http://www.amazon.com/Live-Die-L-Bl...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1265975631&sr=1-1

4. geeare

geeare Guest

the worse Blu-ray I've seen to date has to be the Halford Rock in Rio concert. it's just terrible and I was very pissed off because the Blu cost about 15 more than the DVD and it's hardly even VHS quality. I thought it was some crazy effect they were using at the first of the concert but it just never got any better. too bad. Anyway, sound is awesome. If i had to do it again I would just get the DVD.

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Midnight Movie (2008). Clean image, but not very impressive in HD terms. I'm aware this was a low budget production but still, I've watched upscaled DVDs that look much much better.
    As for the movie itself, it was alright. Starts out kind of mediocre/bad/dumb but the final 15 minutes made it worthwhile.

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Caught Star Trek last night from the library, beautiful as it should be.

Can't recall if I ever mentioned how good Trick R' Treat looks on Blu, damn near perfect!

On the bad side, Chasing Amy. I had a feeling hi-def wouldn't benifit this film anyway, and boy was I right. Some scenes looked out of focus and mis-framed, like they used that print Kevin Smith was bitching about on the dvd commentary where he's doing the whole "Fuck DVD" rant. It sounds and looks like what they were talking about just before that in many parts. A few parts looked good and upgraded, but some scenes looked far worse than the Criterion dvd. All in all, very disappointing and not at all worth upgrading unless you have to have the new features.
    Considering I haven't seen this disc for under $29.99 yet (haven't looked online, and won't bother after testing it), I can not state how much a rip-off it would be to buy this new. I might buy it if I ever see it for under $10 just for the new commentary and doc (decent doc btw), maybe. I'm thinking more around $5 now. Thankfully I got this free at the library, and didn't mind returning within a week.

7. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Is it just me or was the CABIN FEVER blu not very impressive?

8. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Agreed. I was underwhelmed by it, and I also noticed some sort of lines in the background during Winston's booze party. That said, I'm happy to have the unrated cut finally.

9. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

the crazies looked really good for a 1973 movie on blu-ray

10. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Public Enemies looks amazing on Blu, actually I think it looked even better then it did in theaters. In theaters, during the night scenes it looked really pixelated, but that is all cleared up on Blu. The blacks are perfect, and the forest chase scene looks amazing with its lush greens!

11. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

For a DTV production, Otis (2008) looks great in HD. Fun flick too.

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG]

Long Weekend a.k.a. Nature's Mistake (2008) looks amazing on Blu-ray. The German Region B disc provides breathtaking detail and some of the best greens seen in outdoors scenes. Very lifelike.
    HD pores fetishists will be disappointed though. Not enough close ups ;)

13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

OMG is that a real term now or did you make that up? lol

14. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

®Hellbilly ;)

15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I think Michael Mann shot the film on high def video,so the transfer should be exceptional.

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah he always shoots digitally now so all his films should look great on Blu. Miami Vice did as well, can;t want to see Collateral as I thought the DVD was rather lacking.

17. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I watched the Blu-ray of The Alphabet Killer last night and the video looked great. However, the audio was the same Dolby Digital 5.1 track from the DVD. Also, as many of you already know, none of the special features were ported over to the Blu-ray. This doesn't really bother me as I don't have the time for special features anymore anyway. However, what did bother me is that there is no menu, what-so-ever. The movie starts up right away and when you hit "Top Menu," the movie just resets itself. When the movie finishes, it just starts over again. This, to me anyway, seems unacceptable in 2010, on Blu-ray, from a fairly major player on the home video scene. I also bought The Girl Next Door (Ketchum) and The Lost but haven't watched those yet. I assume they're the same but I can't say for sure. Does anyone know? Also, does anyone know if it's the same way with the recent releases of Behind the Mask, Jack Brooks and Spiral?

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Somebody went to Bestbuy.

19. BrokeNads

BrokeNads New Member

bad quality is see in bluray is basic instink and the best kill bills
    also the warriors is nice in the colors

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I don't know about Spiral, but Behind the Mask and Jack Brooks are the same story on Blu-ray. No features ported over, and the same lossy audio track as the old DVD editions. Anchor Bay is falling fast.