The best and worst of Blu-Ray quality

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bigdaddyhorse, Aug 27, 2009.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Exactly.

2. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

And I think you don't realize that a 3 out of 5 for a Blu Ray review doesn't mean it is equal to a 3 out of 5 for a DVD review.

Here's a great example and how Digitalbits reviews their movies.

They review their Blu Rays on a scale of 1-20 for video and audio. A perfect DVD would only be a 10 on the scale, so even a movie that didn't get a great score like say Star Trek VI, it still received a 16 out of 20 for video and an 18 for audio. So its video and audio are still almost twice as good as a perfect DVD.

I'm pretty sure you just aren't actually reading the reviews, either that that or not properly understanding how their scales work compared to DVDs.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Exactly, so now you can safely upgrade as those issues have been pretty much absent the past year and a half. Time to forget about the mistakes made in the first year when they were still testing the market and at war with another format and accept that it is a great format now.

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

5. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Of that list I have the SAW I through III blus as well as BASIC INSTINCT. Haven't watched B.I. yet but don't see any problem with the SAW blus. The video quality is clearly better than my DVD copies. These films are grainy and they use a lot of murky colors - those are issues with the film, not the transfer or the Blu Ray.

Looked up a few reviews of these and the reviewers seem to confirm my thinking, rating them 3 out of 5 on video but also stating things like:

"As mentioned in my previous reviews for this series, the movies are shot in generally dark, dank locales with a muted color palette and the end result is a movie that will never look beautiful on Blu-ray or any other format. "

and

"The image is drab and the colors suffer as a result, but I believe this is more due to artistic choices rather than a faulty transfer."

I really think some people are expecting unrealistic miracles with this format and are attributing problems with the films to problems with Blu Ray. A hi definition transfer isn't going to magically make a crappy looking movie look prestine. If the source film looks like shit its going to look like shit whether you view it in the theater, on DVD, or on Blu. These movies are the exception to the rule. In 99% of the cases the Blu will still look better than the DVD, and better lensed films with good source materials are going to look absolutely stunning.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  6. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

There's nothing below average about the Requiem for a Dream Blu-ray. I was worried Lionsgate would botch it, as it is my favorite film and all, but I was pleasantly surprised by how great of a job they did with it.

7. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Yeah, I wonder about those scores on that site!! My friend got Alexander for $10 and when I was over, I was horrified (not at the movie) at the transfer. It looked like a bad DVD yet Blu Ray.com gave it a high score.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I thought American Psycho looked great, rushed or not.

I'm watching Labyrinth right now and that's another that I can wholeheartedly recommend to fans of the film.

Everything isn't going to look like it was shot yesterday and for 80 million dollars. Some films are just scratched and grainy right down to the negative, but I'll take increased detail and improved colors and contrast wherever I can get it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

really? looked pretty excellent to me.

10. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Being There looks great.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Picked up a few more Blus tonight

Carrie

I've watch a little of it, and I'm not too impressed. Yes, I know DePalma used a "soft" style, and I like it a lot. But I think that soft look is pretty much the same on DVD as BR. Plus, the DVD has all those great special features, so I'm holding on to that no matter what.

Death Proof

Again, hard to gauge, due to the intentional cruminess and low-budget look of the film. Worse, I can't get rid of the DVD of this movie either, as my DVD was signed by Zoe Bell.

Halloween

Now this was a fucking revelation, and justifies the purchase of the Blu-Ray player. It's that good. Granted, I never got this on DVD, I've stuck with the Criterion LD, so it's a double leap in quality for me. But yeah. Wow. This is pretty amazing.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Wow you held off on all the DVD editions of Halloween? Heh, that must've taken some will power haha.

But I dunno, I was a little unimpressed with Carrie as well, but after further inspection, I've come to the conclusion that it does indeed look way better than the DVD. It's also "correctly" framed at 1.85:1. The DVD edition had thin black bars on all 4 sides of the frame.

~Matt

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I like it, but I've never been a huge huge fan of it. The Criterion LD had a good widescreen transfer, and tons of extras. Plus, when I was standard definition, laser and DVD was not that far apart in quality. So I did not re-buy a lot of my lasers on DVD. That's gonna change with HD though.

14. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I didn't find the video quality to be impressive in Carrie but I got the impression the film couldn't look much better. I'm no expert, so I was wondering if anyone else agrees

Halloween really blew me away when I saw it. Wow!

15. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people spend too much time looking for incredibly increased detail, while ignoring other benefits of the format, such as improved colors, richer blacks, etc. If a film is shot on 16mm or shot in a very soft focus, then the improvement in detail may not be that great, but there could still be a wealth of other improvements.

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Well don't know what to tell you guys, either there was something wrong with your set ups or you expecting too much compared to how it was shot as every reviewer I checked out gave both of those very high marks.

Sites I checked include High Def Digest, Bluray.com, IGN, Home Theatre Forum, DVD Beaver, DVDTown, DVD Talk, DVDReview and DVD Verdict.

17. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I haven't watch it in years but I remember being really impressed with the Black Rain Blu-ray. I own Alexander but I haven't watched it yet. Although, the BD of the Final Cut of Alexander has a ton of features that aren't on the DVD (which only has the introduction), including a brand new commentary from Oliver Stone.

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, alright. Guilty.

Carrie DOES look better on Blu than on the SD DVD, and I did notice the color improvement. It just wasn't as dramatic as some of the other discs I've seen, and I fully acknowledge it's due to the source materials. I'm really impressed with Halloween though. And I had to think about it while I was purchasing it, even though Best Buy had it at just $9.99. Really glad I jumped on that one.

Death Proof was really an impulse buy, but I'm enough of a Tarantino fan I'll probably buy all his films on Blu anyway.

19. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I did watch Rent (the live Broadway show not the movie) on blu-ray last night and it looked amazing. I saw this live once and loved it and this was the next best thing. 5 outta 5 on video quality for this one.

20. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami

Really? Best Buy has it for $10 right now. Maybe I'll pick it up this weekend.

I just watched Hardware. One of my favorite films and I've seen it countless times. This was like seeing it for the first time again! I've never seen it look so good!! Damn! I'm hooked on Blu and want to rush out there and buy new ones all the time. It really has made my movie viewing an exciting experience.