The Bad Seed

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dwatts, Oct 5, 2006.

1. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I don't know that last time I saw this movie. I've owned the DVD for more than a year but have never gotten around to watching it. Tonight was the night though, and I wanted to drop a post to say what a damn fine film this is. Which feels like a kind of pointless thing to say, since it's a recognized classic. However, I wanted to blurt it out anyway :)

The DVD from Warners is nice too.

It's a great story, with some great performances, some steady direction, and touches on some pretty heavy topics, particularly for 1956. Astonishing little film then, and well worth picking up.

ps: I did a search, there simply has to be a thread or two on this film, but they didn't show up.

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Did you know they are going to remake it?

3. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Nope, that isn't one I was aware of. It has the pontential to give another procious kid a workout. Here's hoping they take this dynamite film and do something decent with it :)

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

And guess who gonna take a shot at it. Eli Roth - Oh brother....

If there is a god, maybe he won't.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I though Roth had to drop out of that project. **Knocks on wood**

6. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Not muich to go on there, is there? This will certainly be a case where a remake, no matter how good or bad, wouldn't be able to over shadow the original film in any way.

I appreciate Eli Roth and what he's done so far, I think he'd be a fine choice for Director, but it doesn't look like that will happen. I appreciate the updates though guys!

7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Roth already pitched a new take on it so it is possible that even another director’s remake of The Bad Seed will have his fingerprints. “I mean, I went into Warner Bros. and I said, ‘I want to kill more kids than Schindler’s List.’

See this is what I'm talking about with this guy. I mean who talks like that? What is he trying to prove? He should not be supported in any shape or form.

8. killnstalk

killnstalk Guest

Anyone know theres already a remake of this from 1985 with blair brown and david caradine?

9. Mazurka Macabre

Mazurka Macabre Member

I loved The Bad Seed. At first I enjoyed it because of of the hilarity it afforded ("Miss Fern dies her hair." -Mrs. Daigle), but when I thought about it in historical context (mid 1950s) I was amazed at what this film was willing to do:

Family was such an important thing to this decade, yet in this film we have attempted infanticide/matricide and an absent father. I won't even begin a feminist (abortion parable?) or psycho-analytic reading of this film; it's so loaded you'd never be able to stop. Not to mention the discourse on science (genetics) and religion (The film has politely asked me to refrain from expounding on this!).

I can't imagine a remake will be any good unless they drop the whole "genetically inherited evil" theme. Nature v. nurture isn't a very interesting debate anymore, as people basically agree that it is a combination of both that influences the developing mind.

10. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I'm bumping this old thread rather than starting a new one for anyone planning to watch the new Lifetime version this Sunday. Rob Lowe directs and stars. I don't have high hopes but Patty McCormack has a cameo and the little girl does have a creepy Esther/Orphan vibe.

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/the-bad-seed

CPT HOOK and Katatonia like this.
  11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Hmm, could be interesting. I didn't even realize they were remaking it yet again.

Coincidentally, I finally got around to buying the Warner Blu-ray release of the original 1956 film just a couple of weeks ago. Pretty mediocre transfer though... it's watchable, but barely looks much better than an upconverted DVD.

chancetx likes this.
  12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched it last night. I was really into it for the first hour or so, in a '90s domestic thriller way. After a while though, it runs out of steam. By the end, I was a little bored with it.

What I liked about the set-up is that you have the child from hell, but in addition to that they give her the babysitter from hell to spar with. For the first hour or so, you never actually see who is committing the murders, so like The Temp it could be a whodunnit. Is it the kid, or could there be a twist and it'll be the crazy babysitter who is obsessed with the dad? The answer is revealed at the end of the second act, and from there the movie goes into a really boring third act.

More interesting was the series premiere of You, from Greg Berlanti (Love Simon, Riverdale) and Sera Gamble (former Supernatural showrunner), which aired immediately after. Apparently Lifetime has gone the FX route, as they can now say the f-word and show nudity. It's sort of a quirky mash-up of rom-com and stalker thriller. Penn Badgley (Easy A, The Stepfather remake) plays a NYC bookstore manager who becomes obsessed with one of his customers and begins to stalk her with the aid of social media. The twist is that it's entirely from his perspective and he's surprisingly disarming. Basically Ingrid Goes West: The Series. I found it very entertaining and a surprisingly fun twist on a tired formula. And yes, it does go horror by the end. Looking forward to episode 2!

chancetx likes this.
  13. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Finally watched this and agree with your assessment, CPT. Moderately entertaining but that final act was a slog. Although I would say the final half hour of the original drags a bit too so maybe it's the source material. Hard to convey on film the inner conflict of the parent once they know what their child is and what they should do about it.

On your recommendation I recorded "You" but haven't watched it yet. Probably wouldn't have given it a second thought so thanks for the tip. And I never would have recognized Penn Badgley but I guess I haven't seen him in anything since The Stepfather.