The Babysitter (2017, Horror Comedy, via Netflix)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Oct 4, 2017.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The sequel The Babysitter: Killer Queen is being released tomorrow.

I re-visited the first movie again last night, my third time watching it. It's still a blast. Can't wait for this sequel!

Myron Breck and Steel76 like this.
  2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I watched the sequel, and I thought it was just as fun as the original. Hilarious splatter gags, that made me scream with laughter :D

hots4, CPT HOOK and Myron Breck like this.
  3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Best news all day.

Steel76 likes this.
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The good news is that this sequel is a lot of fun, and fans of the original should have a good time. They went even further with the gore this time around, and the returning villains are all a delight to watch. I'm glad they were able to get so much of the original cast back.

The bad news is that it's more or less the same script done less effectively. They lean much more into the comedy than the horror, but the humor is less effective this time around, falling back on repeating the same jokes and gags. Setting the original in suburbia, where this teenage devil cult are invading the safety of our homes, it does lend a bit of creepiness to the material. There is absolutely nothing creepy about this desert lake set sequel. However, that doesn't mean it's not still fun.

I also felt this one stretched itself a bit too thin, running 15 minutes longer than the tightly paced original. There is never a dull moment in the first movie, but this one has a few slow stretches, typically involving the lead and his new love interest. The movie is at its best whenever the returning cult members (Robbie Amell, Bella Throne, Andrew Bachelor, and Hana Mae Lee) are on screen. Their scenes really recapture what was so fun about the original.

So yes, this is an inferior sequel. However, it's still an unabashedly fun horror movie that is well worth your time, and is likely to be one of the year's stronger genre offerings.

Colin likes this.
  5. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Put this on the other night with my wife and had a good time.
    I don't remember the first film well but thought it was a bit more on the horror side where this sequel is basically a full comedy.
    I liked the new girl and her relationship with the lead so for me it didn't drag. I actually found the slowest part to be with Samara Weaving's character. I didn't feel she fit into this new story well at all and only serves as a pointless cameo.

7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I enjoyed this a lot. Some nasty gore, itmoved along at a brisk pace, I never found it boring, and I enjoyed how they wrapped the movie up. I good time had by myself and the wife.