The Babadook (2014)

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I just watched it, and I found it genuinely frightening, if a bit too bleak to just be good, scary fun. It is nicely layered, though, in terms of story, and the two principal actors, mother and child, are excellent. The child in particular impressed me. As offputting as the character is at times (yes, he is an annoying, frustrating child), it's an intense, unaffected performance that brings to mind a child exposed to or suffering from severe mental illness. It definitely needs to sink it, but I'm tempted to say that it's one of the stronger recent horror movies - easily better than Sinister and The Conjuring.

2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

A lot of talk about this one. I'll probably try to check it out sooner than later.

3. thrashard76

thrashard76 Thrash or be Thrashed

I'd give this one a go just by the trailer alone.

4. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

One of the best films I have ever seen. Found it life affirming and deeply moving spiritually. I love it when a movie can teach me something and this was it. After having fought with Mr. Babadook a few times myself, I found it to be a great film about unintegrated trauma. To me it played like a collaboration between Cheryl Strayed and Shirley Jackson.

5. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Agreed.

I like how, at the end of the movie, the Babadook is still there, but managed. You can't get rid of him, but you can learn to live with him. That's a pretty powerful point.

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Thoroughly enjoyed this one from a fresh directorial voice. The use of sound was especially effective, the color palette and "Babadook" visuals only heightened creep-factor. I watched this on a windy, blustery evening and got the chills throughout.

Once the plot unravels, it only gets better--a rarity in horror today, where so much is best left unsaid.

I found the child actor to be impressive--he's supposed to annoy and exasperate the audience, because that is what's driving the mother to the edge. This is a claustrophobic, teeth-grinding story. Recommended.

7. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I haven't hated a film in a long time. The Babadook changed that for me.

I can't say anything more about the kid that hasn't already been said. Within the first 15 minutes, the film robbed itself of any good will the uneven design might have built up. Not the least bit tense or suspenseful. When it was over, I turned to the person I went with and said, "That was the worst Home Alone movie I've ever seen."

8. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

:lol:

The tonal change from my post to yours is incredible, fistfuck. A divisive film.

9. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Love you, bae.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

The Babadook is available on Netflix streaming.

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Wow, same day as disc.

Looks like they also added The Canal, which I've been eager to check out.

13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

the babadook turned out to be a good film I just finished watching it. recommended

14. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I noticed the addition of The Houses October Built also to Netflix streaming.

15. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I've watched The Babaganoush twice in the last twenty four hours and must admit to liking it far more the second time around.
    The term 'thinking man's horror film' could be liberally applied to this one, though the subtext of the film is so blatant it would be pretty hard for most to miss it. I only hope this film was not influenced by the director's own personal experiences.
    The lead actress is great, and I must admit the child excelled at being insufferable which makes it hard to say anything nice about him but I guess that's the sign of a job well done in terms of realizing his role.
    A definite slow burn with tons of payoff in the last third. I guess it's the closest I've seen to anything approaching a modern day classic in a while. The Babadook itself is a pretty cool entity, equal parts Grimm fairy tale and Freddy Krueger.
    I also appreciated the nice nod to Bava's Black Sabbath in one of the film's creepier moments.
    I recommend this one, at least for a one time watch.

16. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Just watched it. Overall I enjoyed the film but agree with some others about the kid being one of the most annoying in film history. I kept hoping the Babadook (or anyone else) would cut his little throat. The film started out a little slow but did offer some nice scenes along the way. I didn't notice anyone else mention it but I was really disappointed with the non ending. Anyone want to chime in on their interpretation? My wife watched this with me and she didn't care for it.

17. Anthropophagus

Sent my interpretation to your PM.
    Don't want to risk ruining this film for anyone here.

18. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Thank you. Seriously, thank you. I'm hoping to get time to sit down with this one sometime tomorrow.

19. Anthropophagus

No problem, enjoy the film.
    It's one that will leave you thinking for days afterwards and is sure to be open to interpretation.

20. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Active Member

Watched this movie this evening. It was okay, I can see how it has gotten lots of praise but it didn't really do it for me. The slow burn was fine but it was almost too slow in many places. It had some nice creepy images and sounds, but overall just not my cup of tea I guess. I was happy that I did end up stumbling onto the "How the Dook stole Christmas" easter egg though, kind of funny...