The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - Part 2017!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2017.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

It's that time of year again folks. Time for ghosts, goblins, scary children, big men with long blades, werewolves, vampires, mummys, killer bunnies, and all other things that are there to give you nightmares...or make you laugh at the silliness of it all. It's time for

The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

It's time to watch a ton of horror movies in the month of October!!!

Here's how it works: Every year the people here on Horror Digital watch a crap load of horror-related movies/tv shows and then come to this thread to brag, write a review, post pics, or get ideas for what to watch next. Just do a post for each movie you watch for each day. It really is fun, especially if everyone joins in and gets in the spirit. It lasts all month and hopefully everyone will join in starting October 1st at 12 a.m. Sound like fun? Of course it does. Sound hard? Not at all. Just check out last year's thread to get an idea how it works. It's here.

So let the fun and horror and perhaps a little bit of screaming begin!

2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]

[ 44x 2007 | 56x 2008 | 63x 2009 | 33x 2010 | 42x 2011 | 77x 2012 | 47x 2013 | 47x 2014 | 56x 2015 | 48x 2016]

01 10/01 Vampira Presents, The Thirteenth Guest (1932)
    02 10/01 Dead of Night (1945)
    03 10/02 The Queen of Spades (1949)
    04 10/03 Mystery Science Theater 3000 Presents, Devil Doll (1964/1997)
    05 10/03 Night of the Demon (1957)
    06 10/04 Paul Naschy Presents, Vengeance of the Zombies ( La Rebelión de las Muertas ) (1973)
    07 10/05 Alucarda, the daughter of darkness ( Alucarda, la hija de las tinieblas ) (1977)
    08 10/06 Tales from the Hood (1995)
    09 10/07 Svengoolie Presents, The Wolf Man (1941)
    10 10/07 William Friedkin Presents, The Exorcist (1973)
    11 10/08 Legion ( Exorcist III) (1990) [Director's Cut]
    12 10/11 Mystery Science Theater 3000 Presents, Soultaker (1990)
    13 10/12 One Dark Night (1982)
    14 10/13 Friday the 13th (1980) [96 Minute Uncut Version]
    15 10/13 Friday the 13th, Part 2 (1981)
    16 10/14 Svengoolie Presents, Duel (1971) [Svengoolie]
    17 10/14 Rifftrax Presents, The Little Shop of Horrors (1960)
    18 10/14 Friday the 13th, Part 3 (1982)
    19 10/14 Friday the 13th, The Final Chapter (1984)
    20 10/16 Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror ( Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens ) (1922) [theater w/ live organist]
    21 10/17 Michael J. Nelson Presents, a Mystery Science Theater 3000 Presentation of, Boggy Creek II: and the Legend Continues (1985)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017 at 11:10 PM
    hulkyduck, maskull and Workshed like this.
  4. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I'll be giving the Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge a go again this year. Last October I got 19 movies in before my car broke down and messed up my free time for the month. Check out the rules here:

http://blog.scarecrow.com/psychochallenge/

hulkyduck, loutoad23, maskull and 3 others like this.
  5. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Love Scarecrow and miss them! This is great, thanks.

hulkyduck and fattyjoe37 like this.
  6. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

Im going to try to watch films i havnt saw yet.

Oct 1st.
    The Last Shark

[​IMG]

I've been on a shark kick lately and my daughter and I watched Jaws 1 & 2. This isn't as bad as I thought has more shark scenes then Jaws and some nice set pieces. I recommend it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    hulkyduck and Kim Bruun like this.
  7. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

That's pretty badass, man. Respect.

But.....all October I like planning a bunch of movies but I also enjoy waking up and figuring what classics and/or new features I want to dive into that day. I don't think I'd enjoy sticking to such a strict schedule.

With a new chucky flick arriving next week, I think I'm gonna start the month off with a few Childs Play films as well as Curse. I'm also gonna watch Jeepers Creepers on the projector because I feel the need to remind myself how fucking badass the Creeper really is, despite that dusty old queef of a movie part 3 turned into. Gonna also do the Collector and the Collection back to back early in the month......sounds like a good start to me.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    hulkyduck likes this.
  8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'm feeling ambitious, but work is fucking killing me right now. Hope to at least get in some classics.

hulkyduck likes this.
  9. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

I'm in as usual. Been popping in quite a bit, just not logged in as I usually do it on my tablet, but have come up with plenty of good stuff for this October. Just when you thought you had seen most of what's out there when it comes to older stuff, I get lots of ideas on stuff I wasn't familiar with. Good site and community to get fresh ideas on the genre. Looking forward to getting it going!

~Rocker10

hulkyduck and Angelman like this.
  10. maskull

Well I probably won't get to do my annual midnight watching of Silver Bullet but I just booked Monday off so I'll have two days at the start of the month to get a nice running start. Starting to pile up the movies I was to watch. I can't wait because like usual I haven't watched any horror for the last month just to make the start of October extra special.

hulkyduck, Gore Lunatic and Natas like this.
  11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Some theme ideas:

Tributes:
    George A. Romero
    Tobe Hooper
    William Peter Blatty
    Haruo Nakajima
    Adam West (One Dark Night / Zombie Nightmare)
    Harry Dean Stanton (Alien / Christine)
    Robert Osbourne (dust off a VHS/DVD recording of him introduction a favorite perhaps?)
    David Shepard

10/13 Friday the 13th

10/20 Bela Lugosi's Birthday

10/27 Frankenstein Friday (last Friday of October)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  12. maskull

Well I already have my Tobe Hooper tribute planned out but yeah, I think I'll at least do a Romero one as well. Try to watch the few films of theirs that I haven't seen yet.

hulkyduck and Gore Lunatic like this.
  13. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

I started last night at midnight. It wasn't intentional though..... but I bought the Halloween blu ray set probably over a month ago and it's been starring me in the face......so I said fuck it. Started my October officially with Halloween H20.

Most Myers flicks after part 2 are pretty divisive. H20 is no exception. And I get it. But I fucking love this movie. Does it have teeny-dawsons creek vibes with the cast? Yup. But guess what.....last I checked there was never an episode of Dawsons Creek with Michael Myers cutting motherfuckers (or else I would have actually watched an episode or two) lol

I love the pace, the score, Jamie Lee is amazing IMO, the bits of humor work for me, I honestly have no gripes with H20 and I'm glad that's how I kicked off the season. Looks fan-fucking-tastic in HD too. Much better than the VHS copy I have (blank tape, I recorded off of pay-per-view probably in 1999)

14. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 1st (midnight viewing): Mad Doctor of Blood Island

Part 2 of - and my introduction to - the Blood Island trilogy. A mad doctor tries to cure leukaemia with chlorophyll injections, but ends up creating a hideous mutant zombie creature instead. 50's mad science, great early gore effects, and a rather cool monster (not as awesome as that in Beast of Blood, but much better than the one from Brides of Blood). There's also female nudity, a studly John Ashley, character dynamics like something out of a Mexican soap opera, and some weird, rapid zoom/zoom out effect whenever the creature attacks - epileptics be warned. Not quite as feverish as the trailer implies, but I kinda enjoyed it.

15. Colin

Colin Member

October 1st
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

1) Road Games (2016): A mediocre drama thriller with a slightly Cleaver twist ending. The film starts out interesting enough, and the “who is who” element was handled pretty well. Things really fall apart in the final act though, featuring an uninteresting and needless “Swerve” that proves to be of no use. I loved the film score which added a nice ambiance, but the direction and cinematography felt flat and boring. It was also a treat to see Barbra Crampton again even if her performance was often over the tip and distracting. (5/10)

2) Drifter: Jesus Christ, this was equal parts boring and pretentious. The Film’s Premise had me sold – I mean, who doesn’t love a good post apocalypse, cannibal clan film? – But it came up demonstrably short on all fronts. The acting from the cannibals is so over the top and cringe worthy I considered shutting the film off on two occasions. The biggest problem here would have to be the runtime. At only 80 minutes this thing felt twice as long thanks to the piss poor editing choices. One too many scenes unnecessarily drag on to create “tension” but the filmmakers fail to do so. Lastly, there is the obvious nod (or rip off) to Tobe Hopper’s “Texas Chainsaw Massacre”. The good thing about the ending was that it was over. If anything, I enjoyed the musical score, which was brooding and menacing, but not much else stand out (3/10)

16. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oct 1st-

Watching The Omen this morning was fun. I'd picked up the Blu-Ray box set last year at FYE's going out of business sale. The first one is fine, but I've always liked 2 and 3 better. Their both much more schlocky. In an alternate universe I like to think they made the film with their first choice, Charles Bronson. He wouldn't have taken Damian's shit. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

17. maskull

[​IMG]

October 01, 2017

#1): ParaNorman (2012):
    So my niece wanted to watch this last night (too early to count towards an October watch) but she passed out part way through and I ended up watching the whole thing. Then this morning she woke up and wanted to watch it from the beginning so I watched it a second time in under 12 hours. But I'm not complaining. Such a great movie that I've seen many times already and will watch many times more I'm sure. Also a good October watch for the younger kids.

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

9/29/17 WARMUP

SUSPIRIA 4K RESTORATION
    in theater @ Alamo Drafthouse

[​IMG]

Dario Argento's classic was shown on one of the bigger screens at our local Alamo Drafthouse. This restoration fully lived up to the hype. Flawless presentation! Lots of vintage Argento trailers were shown before the feature - including: Four Flies on Grey Velvet, Deep Red, Phenomena, Bird with the Crystal Plumage, The Cat o' Nine Tails, Inferno, & more!

hulkyduck, Workshed, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  19. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Haven't started watching any horror just yet, but I did manage to snag tickets to the New Beverly Cinema's famous all-night horror marathon. Tickets sold out in seconds, so I'm pretty ecstatic. It happens next Saturday night-Sunday morning and I'll report back on what I watched after.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, maskull and 3 others like this.
  20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Definitely want the full report from this one

indrid13 and fattyjoe37 like this.