The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2020!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

500.jpg

First time watching on blu. I have the Best Buy steelbook.....love the art work with the map of Texas in the background.

s-l400.jpg

71L2+spvrzL._AC_SX522_.jpg

I'm not really into these kinds of animated flicks.......but this is definitely my favorite that I've seen. It's a ton of fun. It moves at a bat shit crazy pace, genuinely funny at times.....I can't recommend enough.

The wife picked up some Pumpkin Egg Nog. Tried it out with a little Texas whiskey........ Not too shabby.

Only 5 more nights of October horror viewing and partying....enjoy them as much as possible!! Cheers!!

Attached Files:

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 25TH:

THE BARN.png

95.) The Barn (2016) (Blu-ray) - I'm a sucker for these Halloween set indie-horrors, but most of them are one-and-done movies. The Barn is given more care than most, making it one that's easily worth revisiting. Watching the documentary on the blu-ray gave me an even greater appreciation, because the filmmaker actually made the movie TWICE because he wasn't satisfied with the original cut. Only four scenes from the original shoot were used in the finished film, and he reassembled the same cast a year later to remake the entire movie. I believe it said the original 2013 shoot was 12 days, but when all was said and done there were 54 shooting days over the two shoots. I feel like a lot of indie filmmakers wouldn't have had that dedication, and just released the original version as is. It really shows though, as the movie delivers a well above-average little seasonal slasher flick. Cool effects, fun characters, and great Halloween atmosphere. I hadn't seen this since the DVD was released, and had a great time seeing it again.
    If anyone hasn't seen if yet, this is also available on Amazon Prime.

ATTACK JACK O LANTERN.png

96.) Goosebumps: Attack Of The Jack-O'-Lanterns (also includes episodes: Vampire Breath & Let's Get Invisible) (DVD) - This disc kicks off with one of the three notable Halloween episodes of the series. In Attack Of The Jack-O'-Lanterns, a group of trick-or-treaters encounter two strange pumpkin-headed creatures who invite them to an upscale neighborhood, where they are forced to trick-or-treat forever. Very entertaining episode with lots of Halloween decor. Up next is Vampire Breath, a fairly entertaining if a bit corny episode where two siblings find a coffin containing a vampire in their basement. Finally, there's Let's Get Invisible, about a group of kids who find a mysterious mirror in the attic with the power to make them invisible. The only catch is the longer they stay invisible, the more likely they are to stay that way! Another fun episode, this one featuring a very young Kevin Zegers (Frozen, The Hollow, Wrong Turn). Thoroughly enjoyed all three episodes on this disc.

OCTOBER 26TH:

97.) The Walking Dead: World Beyond Episodes 2 - 4 "The Blaze Of Gory" & "The Tyger And The Lamb" & "The Wrong End Of A Telescope" (DVR / AMC) - The premiere episode offered a promising set-up, but with these three subsequent episodes, this series has already settled into the same boring tropes as its parent series. Zombies are few and far between, and the characters just kind of mumble at each other about nothing, that is when they're even talking. There's a lot of just walking around silently. It doesn't help that our four leads are so aggressively uninteresting. The series basically has them traveling from point A to B, and these episodes have all just been them on the journey with little to nothing happening. There are no more episodes of the series this month, and I don't think I care to continue. I will probably just finish out the original Walking Dead series and part ways with the franchise, with no interest in any of the spin-offs.

98.) Unsolved Mysteries Volume 2 Episodes 4 - 6 "Tsunami Spirits" & "Lady In The Lake" & "Stolen Kids" (NetFlix) - We were promised a ghost episode this time around, but Tsunami Spirits wasn't what I had in mind. The Ghost episodes were always my favorites of the original series, but this one was just sad and depressing. Without the re-enactments, there is nothing creepy about it. As for the final two episodes, they're pretty standard Dateline fare. Lady In The Lake at least paints a compelling mystery, as there are a lot of strange details about the case that don't add up. Stolen Kids is just depressing, offering only the grieving parents. There are no clues or anything given for the audience to follow, the kids were just snatched from a park with no evidence or tips. Honestly, this new Unsolved Mysteries is pretty disappointing, and the new makers don't seem to grasp what made the original series so memorable. This is just Dateline without resolutions. These are the final episodes of Volume 2, so no more Unsolved Mysteries for the rest of the year.

HOUSE OF THE WITCH.png

99.) House Of The Witch (2017) (DVD) - It's no secret that I was a huge fan of SyFy Channel's October Original Movies until they stopped making them. Most of the year, we'd get the nearly unwatchable creature features that gave the channel a bad name, but in October we'd typically get some kind of Halloween-set teen-horror movie every weekend. I had seen this one when it aired in 2017, and I didn't consider it among their better originals like Killer High, Truth Or Dare, American Horror House, NeverKnock, The Night Before Halloween, You Might Be The Killer, etc. However, when I spotted the DVD for dirt cheap on Hamilton Book, I figured why not? The plot involves six small town teenagers who sneak into the local haunted house for a Halloween party, but find themselves locked inside with the ghost of a witch. For the first half-hour, I was thinking the movie was better than I remembered, but once the teens are trapped in the house, it gets a bit bland and repetitive. The supernatural stuff has no cohesion, it's just the teens wandering from room to room and weird supernatural stuff happens. Even though the movie is set on Halloween, only two brief scenes at the local diner feature any sort of Halloween decorations. 90% of the movie takes place inside the titular house, which is pretty ugly looking and not decorated at all. So yeah, this isn't a very good one. Pick up Killer High or Truth Or Dare (both available on DVD) if you want a good example of the type of fun October teen-horror movies SyFy used to make.

LIGHTNING BUG 2.png
    LIGHTNING BUG.png

100.) Lightning Bug (2004) (Blu-ray) - Over the years, this has become one of my all-time favorite Halloween movies, and it's not even a horror movie. That said, it's a movie that horror fans should adore and relate to. This coming-of-age tale follows Green Graves, a horror-obsessed teenager in small town Alabama who dreams of moving to Hollywood to make creature effects, but in the meantime wants to do the effects for the local Halloween spook house. However, this brings him into opposition with a crazy right-wing church group who consider the spook house to be Satanic and want it shut down. It doesn't help that the leader of these zealots also happens to be the mother of the cute girl (That '70s Show's Laura Prepon) who works at the local video store where he rents his horror movies. This year I watched the Extended Cut, which runs 15 minutes longer than the theatrical cut. Going forward, I will probably stick with the theatrical, as the biggest difference with this version is the inclusion of a comic-relief uncle who huffs paint, sports an erection, and has no business in this otherwise terrific movie. He was best left on the cutting room floor. As for the theatrical cut, what a wonderful movie! I can't recommend it enough.

[​IMG]

101.) Goosebumps: The Headless Ghost (also includes episodes: Awesome Ants & Teacher's Pet) (DVD) - Being a kid's TV series, The Headless Ghost is nowhere near as evocative as it sounds, but is still an appropriately moody and fun little episode. The episode is about two teens who sneak into tourist attraction Hill House to investigate its ghosts, including one of a decapitated boy. Whatever you do, stay away from the strawberry ice cream. Awesome Ants was a bit generic for me, and not one of the better episodes. A kid gets an ant farm and feeds the ants expired hot dogs (?) only for them to grow in size and terrorize the town. I was not familiar with the book, so I didn't have as much of an attachment to this episode. I was also unfamiliar with the book for Teacher's Pet, but it turned out to be the best of the three episodes. It involves a class trip to the woods, where two students find a mysterious cabin full of strange experiments. Tragically, this episode ends with "In Loving Memory Of Michelle Risi", the 16 year old star of this episode who died before it even aired.

OCTOBER 27TH:

102.) Lovecraft Country Episode 10 "Full Circle" (DVR / HBO) - The season finale brings all of our regulars together for one big final showdown. A few of them don't survive the episode! Overall, this was a solid finale to a terrific season of television. I think I said this last time, but if you're a horror fan and you're not watching Lovecraft Country, you should be. There's not a lot of horror and sci-fi out there that is brimming with as much creativity as this show. Season two seems like a safe bet, and I'm already salivating for it. Being that this is the season finale, this concludes Lovecraft Country for the year.

Previous Entries:
    1.) Cabin By The Lake (2000)
    2.) Pet Sematary (1989)
    3.) Mercy Black (2019)
    4.) Nancy Drew Episodes 1 & 2 "Pilot" & "The Secret Of The Old Morgue"
    5.) Scare Me (2020)
    6.) Return To Cabin By The Lake (2001)
    7.) Monsterland Episodes 1 & 2 "Port Fourchon, Louisiana" & "Eugene, Oregon"
    8.) 12 Hour Shift (2020)
    9.) Nancy Drew Episodes 3 & 4 "The Curse Of The Dark Storm" & "The Haunted Ring"
    10.) Halloween Party (2019)
    11.) Let's Scare Julie (2020)
    12.) The Night Brings Charlie (1990)
    13.) Death Of Me (2020)
    14.) Vampires Vs. The Bronx (2020)
    15.) Nancy Drew Episodes 5 & 6 "The Case Of The Wayward Spirit" & "The Mystery Of Blackwood Lodge"
    16.) Do Not Reply (2019)
    17.) Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill! (2017)
    18.) The Clown At Midnight (1998)
    19.) Monsterland Episodes 3 & 4 "New Orleans, Louisiana" & "New York, New York"
    20.) Nancy Drew Episodes 7 & 8 "The Tale Of The Fallen Sea Queen" & "The Path Of Shadows"
    21.) Lovecraft Country Episode 1 "Sundown"
    22.) The Dead Ones (2019)
    23.) Possession: Until Death Do You Part (1987)
    24.) Monsterland Episodes 5 & 6 "Plainfield, Illinois" & "Palacios, Texas"
    25.) Hosts (2020)
    26.) Phantom Of Death (1988)
    27.) The Walking Dead Season 10 Episode 16 "A Certain Doom"
    28.) The Walking Dead: World Beyond Episode 1 "Brave"
    29.) Spontaneous (2020)
    30.) Tales From The Hood 3 (2020)
    31.) Eerie, Indiana Disc One Episodes 1 - 3
    32.) Nancy Drew Episodes 9 & 10 "The Hidden Staircase" & "The Mark Of The Poisoner's Pearl"
    33.) The Masque Of The Red Death (1989)
    34.) The Locals (2003)
    35.) Books Of Blood (2020)
    36.) The Wolf Of Snow Hollow (2020)
    37.) Hubie Halloween (2020)
    38.) Monsterland Episodes 7 & 8 "Iron River, Michigan" & "Newark, New Jersey"
    39.) Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 2 Episode 1 "Houses Of Hell"
    40.) The Cleansing Hour (2019)
    41.) Alone (2020)
    42.) Save Yourselves! (2020)
    43.) Nancy Drew Episodes 11 & 12 "The Phantom Of Bonny Scot" & "The Lady Of Larkspur Lane"
    44.) Lovecraft Country Episode 2 "Whitey's On The Moon"
    45.) Never Hike In The Snow (2020) + Here Comes The Night (2019)
    46.) Broil (2020)
    47.) Goosebumps: The Blob That Ate Everyone (also: Piano Lessons Can Be Murder & My Hairiest Adventure)
    48.) Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo! (2020)
    49.) Nancy Drew Episodes 13 & 14 "The Whisper Box" & "The Sign Of The Uninvited Guest"
    50.) Lovecraft Country Episode 3 "Holy Ghost"
    51.) Night Terror (1989)
    52.) The Mortuary Collection (2019)
    53.) Memorial Valley Massacre (1989)
    54.) Goosebumps: Monster Blood (also: How To Kill A Monster & The Girl Who Cried Monster)
    55.) Welcome To The Blumhouse: Nocturne (2020)
    56.) Love And Monsters (2020)
    57.) Amusement (2008)
    58.) School Killer (2001)
    59.) Goosebumps: Night Of The Living Dummy (includes: Night Of The Living Dummy II & Bride Of The Living Dummy)
    60.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 2 Episodes 4 - 7
    61.) Titicut Follies (1967)
    62.) Nancy Drew Episodes 15 & 16 "The Terror Of Horseshoe Bay" & "The Haunting Of Nancy Drew"
    63.) Lovecraft Country Episode 4 "A History Of Violence"
    64.) Grave Robbers (aka Ladrones De Tumbas) (1989)
    65.) Goosebumps: A Night In Terror Tower (also: Stay Out Of The Basement)
    66.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 3 Episodes 8 - 11
    67.) Nancy Drew Episodes 17 & 18 "The Girl In The Locket" & "The Clue In The Captain's Painting"
    68.) Lovecraft Country Episode 5 "Strange Case"
    69.) Spellcaster (1988)
    70.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 4 Episodes 12 - 15
    71.) Lovecraft Country Episode 6 "Meet Me In Daegu"
    72.) Pet Sematary II (1992)
    73.) The Devil Within Her (aka Sharon's Baby) (1975)
    74.) The Funhouse (1981)
    75.) Goosebumps: One Day At Horrorland (also: Welcome To Camp Nightmare)
    76.) They Live Inside Us (2020)
    77.) Rebecca (2020)
    78.) The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
    79.) Goosebumps: Night Of The Living Dummy III
    80.) Lovecraft Country Episode 7 "I Am."
    81.) The Witches (2020)
    82.) Unsolved Mysteries: Volume 2 Episodes 1 - 3 "Washington Insider Murder" & "A Death In Oslo" & "Death Row Fugitive"
    83.) Bad Hair (2020)
    84.) The Dark (1993)
    85.) Lovecraft Country Episode 8 "Jig-a-Bobo"
    86.) The Haunting Of Bly Manor Episodes 1 - 3 "The Great Good Place" & "The Pupil" & "The Two Faces, Part One"
    87.) Satan's Little Helper (2004)
    88.) Livid (2011)
    89.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 5 Episodes 16 - 19
    90.) Primal Rage (1988)
    91.) Night Of The Demons (2009)
    92.) Goosebumps: Welcome To Dead House
    93.) Lovecraft Country Episode 9 "Rewind 1921"
    94.) The Haunting Of Bly Manor Episodes 4 - 6 "The Way It Came" & "The Altar Of The Dead" & "The Jolly Corner"

3. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

Empty man just played at the drive in with elm st 84.
    The week before was a godzilla triple feature with destroy all monsters, godzilla vs megalon. Forget the third one.
    This weekend is a triple bill of Terror is a man, Horror of the blood monsters, and Dracula vs Framkenstein (adamson).
    In Sept there was a festival that showed Killer crocodile, Grizzly, Day of the animals, Piranha 78, The uninvited (clark), Chopping mall, Videodrome, and Lizard in a womans skin.

Colin, hots4, Rocker10 and 1 other person like this.
  4. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    Day 26. DON’T MESS WITH TEXAS: What to get? Watch one set, , deep in the heart of Texas.

Movie # 50:
    Night Fright (1967) (DVD)

A strange object crashes near a rural Texas collage town, soon something in the woods is killing the locals. Wow this film is filled with people walking in the woods. Students, scientists, cops! Everybody is walking in the woods. When they're not walking, they're talking. There's a ton of bad day for night in this sucker. Once in awhile the monster graces us with his presence. What you can see of it, the creature looks like a guy in an ape costume wearing a Klingon mask.

[​IMG]

Also finished off 1st season of Ash vs. Evil Dead and started season 2. Loving the show so far. Love how their bringing all the movies together and adding to Ash's backstory. Also, was great seeing Samara Weaving in a few episodes.

[​IMG]

5. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 27

120. Aenigma (1987) Blu - Turned into a Fulci day. Was able to have a look at Severin's version of this movie and it looked quite good.

121. The City Of The Living Dead (1980) Blu - Decided to take a run through the gates of hell trilogy. I like Christopher George in this one. He is in quite a few movies I like, so it's always good to see him. This might be my favorite of the three.

122. The Beyond (1981) Blu - This to me is the odd one. I like it, but it has some odd elements to it. I feel you have to be paying much more attention to this one than the other three. Fulci definitely had his style and things at times have you scratching your head. This is one I plan on going back to in the next few weeks to go through extras.

123. The House By The Cemetery (1981) Blu - The movie with Bob, well one of them as there was a Bob in the other one too. This was the annoying little blonde kid. I was reading his bio on IMDB and apparently he didn't make too many movies. Another decent movie. Enjoyed my run through the trilogy today.

124. Rings (2017) Blu - First time watch with this one. It kind of expands the story a bit, but at the same time it felt like it was expanding outside of the story. A more personal story related to one of the main characters.I thought it was okay. For that trilogy, nothing beats the first movie.

125. Dark Water (2002) Blu - First time watch as well. This was a great movie I thought. It really strikes a variety of different feelings. As far as tempo, this movie stayed at a simmer for a long time and then went to a boil. I kind of figured out what was going on before it was shown, but not everything in the ending. I plan on digging more into the J-Horror genre as time goes on. It seems some of the better ideas are coming out of Japan and have been for a bit, then Hollywood remakes it. Starting to really dig the foreign films.

~Rocker10

6. indrid13

[​IMG]

Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    Day 27. ALKEBULAN: Watch something from the second largest continent.

Movie # 51:
    House of the Living Dead (1974) (DVD)

More like House of The Living Snores. There's a plot about a family on a South African plantation and there's a crazy brother locked up in attic. There's a couple kills and some mad science, but not much else except for people talking. Oh, and lots of family drama.

7. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 27th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Another crop of films I watch every October without fail, and all four rank in my top 10 of all time in the genre. True classics by any sense of the word.

68) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

69) Halloween (1978)

70) An American Werewolf in London

71) Return of the Living Dead

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Haunt (Shudder) - As mentioned, this looked interesting enough on The Last Drive-In to give it a shot without JBB's commentary. I'll be watching that version shortly. It's not a terrible movie. Six college kids go to an "extreme" haunted house, only to find it's way more extreme than they hoped. Before long the scares are authentic and they're fighting for their life. It kept my interest, but there's plot holes you can drive a truck through. I would have liked for there to be more ambiguity as to whether or not what's happening was really just part of the act, and midway through there's a nice little misdirection when
    one of the employees becomes helpful in getting the protagonists out of the attraction, even giving them his keys, only to lock them in further
    . It had potential that I felt was wasted, and the backstory on the final girl was rather pointless. Enjoyable enough, but after I watch The Last Drive-In version, I imagine I'll probably never revisit it again. Shazi Raja (Angela) is awfully easy on the eyes though.

EDIT: Wanted to add to my comments on this, after watching The Last Drive-In. Joe Bob mentions that they successfully avoided the "no cell phone service" cliche, and I absolutely agree. But they go balls-deep on one cliche: the catastrophic injury that doesn't bother the person in the slightest. If you read my mini-review of The Beach House, I praised it for having a character hobbled by an injury the rest of the film. In Haunts, one character has
    a nail go all the way into her foot, AND all the skin on her hands ripped off by superglue
    and shakes it off like it's nothing.

And Shazi Raja is still pretty.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

29. Lust for a Vampire (Jimmy Sangster, 1971)

[​IMG]

Jimmy Sangster may have been responsible for writing many of Hammer's best films, but he was also responsible for directing a few of their weaker ones. Since the Anchor Bay DVD has been OOP for a very long time, I'd never had the opportunity to watch this until now. It's the second in the loosely-connected (which is to say, not at all connected) Karnstein Trilogy, and is undoubtedly the worst. I say that having only minimal memories of Twins of Evil. What I do remember about that one was that it had Peter Cushing, and plenty of breasts. This film had no Cushing, and fewer breasts than you would expect. It does have Ralph Bates, and he's probably the best thing about the film as the weaselly headmaster and would-be vampire acolyte. But he's gone way too soon. I feel like it might have been a better film with him as the lead, but instead we're given Michael Johnson as LeStrange. He's a horny author who tricks his way into a teaching position at the school so he can try to bed his students. Classy. Yutte Stensgaard is the object of his affection. She's pretty enough, but very dull in the Carmilla/Mircalla/Marcilla role, and there's not an instant of actual chemistry between her and LeStrange. There is, however, a ridiculous sex scene between the two where she sings via internal monologue (I think?) about their "strange love".

A real low point in the Hammer cannon.

30. Housebound (Gerard Johnstone, 2014)

[​IMG]

A young ne'er-do-well is sentenced to house arrest with her estranged mother and stepfather. Things go from bad to worse as she discovers that her creaky childhood home may be haunted.

I had never heard of this before my brother-in-law lent it to me out of the blue. He didn't really say anything about it, so I set it aside with the intention of watching it during October. Surprise surprise, it turned out to be one of the best things I've seen all month. The characters were sympathetic, relatable, and well-developed. The story was interesting and unpredictable. It was technically well made. And best of all, both its comedy and horror elements are played really well. Just a really excellent, satisfying film, top to bottom.

I may have been the only one not aware of this film, but if anybody else out there hasn't heard of it: you owe it to yourself to check it out. It was a ton of fun.

31. Monstrous (Bruce Wemple, 2020)

[​IMG]

My wife, at home on maternity leave, decided that she wanted to check out Jordan Peele's Us. It wasn't available on Netflix or Prime, so she decided to stream it using one of the many less reputable apps out there. These are the text messages I received from her:

"So I was trying to watch US but the link was wrong and it was actually playing MonstroUS"

"I spent the 1st fifteen minutes waiting for black people to show up"

"Before I realized it wasn't the right movie"

"But now I want to know if these white girls get killed at the end"

I thought that was pretty damn funny, and worth sharing.

In any case, we did indeed watch Monstrous, and for what is clearly a low-budget, indie film, it turned out to be really pretty good. It's got a ton of atmosphere, and the creature effects are nicely done. It's goes pretty dark, and has some really vicious scenes. A couple of characters make some wonky decisions during the climax, but I found that pretty easy to forgive. This was another surprising discovery, and I have my wife's glitchy streaming app to thank for it. (She still hasn't seen Us)

32. Monster Shark (a.k.a. Devilfish) (Lamberto Bava, 1984)

[​IMG]

Apparently this was on MST3K? I only just now found that out. I guess I can see why. It's pretty silly, and for a movie about a giant killer shark/octopus hybrid (who knew Sharktopus wasn't an original idea?), it's pretty unforgivable that you never really see the monster. But despite all that, I found myself really enjoying this. It was never boring, the people and locations were all pleasant to watch, and what parts you do see of the monster were entertainingly goofy. While I love Demons and Demons 2 (to a lesser extent), I've found some of Lamberto Bava's movies (like Macabre and Blade in the Dark) to be a little slow and uninteresting. Macabre especially I found to be flat-out boring. This, on the other hand, held my attention the whole way through. So I was happy with it.

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, you do only have minimal memories, 'cuz that film ain't the boob fest you seem to recall. Even the titular (pun sort of intended) Twins don't disrobe that much, and never at the same time. It's not a bad movie though, one of the better "later" Hammer films.

indrid13 and dave13 like this.
  11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Shiiiiiiiiiiit.

You posted this just after Netflix sent me two discs from my queue. And they do have it on DVD, for those who still use that part of Netflix's service.

Oh well, like I say, there's no reason you have to stop watching horror movies when October ends. I'll be seeing this next month.

hots4, Colin, indrid13 and 1 other person like this.
  12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Well, there you go. Have you watched Lust for a Vampire recently? Curious which film has the edge, in terms of overall breast-number.

indrid13 likes this.
  13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Nah, not in like 20 years. I do remember it being rather dull though. At least Twins of Evil is a good enough movie that you don't need nudity for it to be enjoyable. Still, I wanted to see the Twins'.......um......twins.

indrid13 likes this.
  14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I hope you dig it.

indrid13 likes this.
  15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Same here. I was a little bummed that it won't be in the mail for this weekend, but I doubt I'll be watching many "new to me" movies the rest of the month anyway (with one exception on Shudder, the WNUF Halloween Special). With Halloween so close, we're at the point of the concert where we're expecting the all-time hits, not hearing the band say "this one's gonna be on our new album which comes out in a few weeks". It's gonna be Night of the Living Dead, Suspiria, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Exorcist, et al the rest of the way.

dave13 and indrid13 like this.
  16. indrid13

[​IMG]

Movie #52:
    Hatchetman (2003) (DVD)

After reading a couple reviews on here, I picked this up off of Amazon. I honestly enjoyed it. Strippers vs. a cheap Halloween masked maniac. Reminded me of something I'd stay up to watch on USA Up All Night back in the '90's. Of course all the nudity would have been removed. But we'd get some Gilbert Gottfried as the fifth Ramone skits. Perfectly balanced. As all things should be.

[​IMG]

Movie #53:
    Primal Rage (1988) (DVD)

A cheesy Halloween treat written by Umberto Lenzi and directed by Vittorio Rambaldi, son of special effects guru Carlo Rambaldi (who did the effects), perfect for October. The Halloween dance sequence is a highlight.

[​IMG]

Movie#54:
    Werewolf Island (2020) (DVD)

Well... About that werewolf. Not so much a werewolf and more a vengeful spirit. This is one of those films where the director wrote, produced and stars in the movie. Yeah, you know how that sort of thing turns out. Not so much a movie as a series of badly done flashbacks telling the story of the island's curse. You don't really get a werewolf, but you do get Native Americans, Snooty French people, 1920's gangsters and '70's bikers. And the effects during the climax... Yeah. Also a dude gets his balls ripped off.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  17. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

If my only contribution to this sites October thread is Hatchetman, I'll punch myself in the dick.

I'll try and step my game up for the home stretch, fellers hahahaha

indrid13, CPT HOOK and fattyjoe37 like this.
  18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/26/2020

THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN OF THE HIMALAYAS (1957)

[​IMG]

British botanist Dr. John Rollason (Peter Cushing) and his wife Helen (Maureen Connell) are guests of the Lama at the Rongbuk Monastery. The couple often does field work together and at least Helen thinks it's all for botanical research, especially since her husband's climbing accident a few years back. Another crew shows up led by an American named Tom Friend (Forrest Tucker). The real expedition comes together as a search up in the Himalayas for the legendary Yeti despite the expected objections from family and the religious order. Both men with their strong personalities have very different intentions should they encounter the creature.

The Abominable Snowman is not your typical production when it comes to Sasquatch Cinema. It's more of a psychological story spending ample time with how the elusive beast gets inside the head of its pursuers. Whether it's infrasound or some kind of telepathy, the hunted know how to combat their hunters and survive. While watching this, I can't help but think of the Val Lewton films in which you see so little of the monster onscreen yet can't escape their haunting presence. If you are patient enough to stick around, the Yeti does get a proper cameo unlike say more recent fare like Willow Creek (2013) where no such payoff materializes. Peter Cushing is perfectly cast as the progressive minded Doctor that is driven by scientific curiosity and benevolent ideas. The ironically named Tom Friend as played by Forrest Tucker is a corporate-minded asshole in comparison looking for fame and fortune already boasting a resume of shady operations.

Scream Factory released this late last year on Blu-ray. Roughly 5 minutes of footage comes from a lesser standard def source. Not as bad as it sounds. Worthy pickup for fans of cryptozoology, early Hammer, and Sasquatch.

THE LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK (1972)

[​IMG]

The Legend of Boggy Creek is a docudrama regional production based on events in the decades leading up to the early 1970's of Fouke, Arkansas. Many reports of a Sasquatch creature stalking the area while drawing national attention to this Southwestern corner of the state. A mix of local residents and experienced actors are interviewed along with an old-fashioned narrator serving as your tour guide. Let's face it though, the main attraction would be all of the reenactments of personal encounters. It's hard not to sympathize with Bigfoot at times when some redneck types are quick to start shooting just because they see it out in the swamps or just passing through forests. Not all is warm & cuddly though when the creature turns up the aggression on some private homes without any nearby neighbors to help. It's funny when the narrator insists that this Sasquatch is most definitely "the only one of its kind." Yes, this G-rated feature gets a silly song sandwiched in around that point. Fear not however, the horror content is still there with some startling up close visions.

I have a couple books on the Boggy Creek beast and am well aware that sightings have continued in that region even in recent years. While driving cross country earlier this year, we decided to stop in Fouke, Arkansas. It was our first visit. Didn't have as much time as I would have liked, but we did stop at the Monster Mart. It's more than just a convenience store, there is a really cool Sasquatch museum with an emphasis on the local Southern history. We also stopped at the actual Boggy Creek itself and took some photos with our adventurous Bichon poodle standing at the "Boggy Creek" sign. Unfortunately this part of the creek is quite narrow, but widens into more rugged backwoods territory such as the nearby Sulphur River Bottoms. More sightings have occurred there.

The daughter of director Charles B. Pierce acquired the rights to the film and finally released this on a Blu-ray in the past year. It's completely bare bones in content and packaging. The feature presentation is not spectacular quality, but most definitely a considerable upgrade from the many public domain DVDs.

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

33. One Missed Call 2 (Renpei Tsukamoto, 2005)

[​IMG]

Mimiko's curse continues.

Except this time it's not Mimiko. Or is it? Even the movie isn't sure.

A new group of friends are terrorized by the killer phone calls and must try to find a way to stop the curse before their time is up. This sequel seemed confused about what it wanted to be. On one hand, parts of it stuck so close to the original that it became pretty derivative - set pieces, locations, and even kills are lifted from the first one. On the other hand, it took the mythology and forced it to deviate in such unnecessarily complicated ways, that it stopped feeling like it was even related to the first film. Both parts were occasionally satisfying. There was still a lot of good imagery, lots of solid creepy atmosphere, lots of spooky girls with long black wet hair. The kills are still pretty good, but the changes to the mythology really undermine a lot of what came before. Some of the new stuff works really well on it's own, but makes no sense in the context of the larger story. In the end, the film ends up losing focus. It becomes a bit of a muddled mess, less than the sum of it's parts. Still ok, but not as good as the first.

34. Hammer House of Horror S01E08: Children of the Full Moon (Tom Clegg, 1980)

[​IMG]

I've been enjoying working my way (slowly) through Hammer House of Horror. Though it doesn't come close to hitting the highs that the studio did in the 50s and 60s, at its best the show offers some pleasantly restrained tv terror. Children of the Full Moon isn't the best episode I've seen (the one before this, The Silent Scream with Peter Cushing was pretty fantastic), but it's still quirky and cute, and although it's entirely predictable, it's a lot of fun. I love the scene where the straight laced husband is confiding in his colleague about how horny his wife is.

35. One Missed Call: Final (Manabu Asou, 2006)

[​IMG]

Yeeesh. Wow, did this ever suck. Completely forgettable characters. Terrible pop-star leads whose acting style seems to be emoting in slow motion, always looking at each other and everyone else with Bambi eyes, even when they're in their death throws. This film inexplicably decided to rely on sentimentality instead of any kind of attempt at fear. It's all about the pain of being bullied, telling people your true feelings, sacrificing everything for the one you love, fighting evil spirits with uplifting email messages, and the importance of cell phone dongles. Ugh. This film has only a single interesting element to it's credit: it introduces the ability of the recipient to forward the phone message, thereby passing the curse on to someone else and saving themselves. It's a good idea, and makes for some potentially interesting scenes of chaos and betrayal. Scenes which are all undermined by the whiny emo magazine idol teenagers who are unfortunately our heroes. It even did away with the nasty death scenes in favor of garbage bland CGI deaths. Lousy. Really, really lousy. From what I've read, the second one gets a lot of flack, but I can't see how anybody could complain about that one when tripe like this exists within the same franchise. At least number 2 was trying to be scary.

20. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Now where did you ever get the idea that you would get to decide who punches you in the dick?

[​IMG]

We're not letting you off that easy...