The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2020!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 21, 2020.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/15/2020

DAY OF THE DEAD (1985)

[​IMG]

The zombie apocalypse in Dawn of the Dead (1978) continues in South Florida years later. The search for additional human survivors in the cities turns up nothing yet again. A group of scientists and military personnel work together to find solutions. Much of the time is spent down under as in an underground bunker. Very little to get optimistic about though. Nicknamed "Frankenstein" by his peers, Dr. Logan (Richard Liberty) estimates the zombie population outnumbers the living 400,000 to 1. Supplies including ammunition are running low. Stress levels are off the charts. This is helped in no way by the volatile Captain Rhodes (Joe Pilato) who assumes command following the death of Major Cooper. Fearless scientist Sarah (Lori Cardille) works extra hard along with her inner circle in the fight for survival. The biggest question for the moment might be how long before the undead penetrate the safety of their bunker?

For the third film in George Romero's living dead series there is an overwhelming sense of dread and urgency in a claustrophobic setting. There is a stark contrast from the camaraderie found in Dawn of the Dead where the four central characters really stuck together. Nearly everyone hates each other spending ample time hurling F-bombs and pointing guns at one another. Would have preferred to see some additional above ground action. The little we do get in that regard is cool with some alligators seen in the city streets overrun by zombies. Budget cuts must not have helped. Much of that money no doubt went to special effects. Tom Savini displays some of his finest work in that department with plenty of content still packing a punch today. Sherman Howard is terrific as Bub, the focus of Frankenstein's controversial zombie experiments. Lori Cardille shines as a strong heroic lead. Joe Pilato is arguably one of the best villains in the Romero universe with his scumbag portrayal. We got to meet cast members from Day of the Dead years ago at a horror convention. Lori and Joe were by far the nicest, with Pilato loudly getting into character and reciting some of his memorable dialogue uncensored.

Enjoyed revisiting this while waiting patiently for the Second Sight release of Dawn of the Dead.

THEY LIVE (1988)

[​IMG]

A drifter called Nada (Roddy Piper) finds his way to Los Angeles looking for construction work. Landing a gig he meets another down on his luck dude named Frank (Keith David). Both of them bunk down in a homeless camp across from a church which serves as a secret meeting ground for an underground resistance. A turning point occurs when Nada one day discovers sunglasses with special abilities. Wear these and your world view changes dramatically. All the colors of the environment are now seen in black and white, subliminal messages to control the masses are everywhere, and most alarmingly a significant percentage of the population are alien creatures trying to disguise themselves as humans. A resistance leader named Gilbert (Peter Jason) has bigger plans for the construction duo in their organization.

I acknowledge that They Live is much more of a science-fiction adventure than horror, but just felt inspired to watch this with the U.S. presidential election drawing near. 32 years later, director John Carpenter's film feels perhaps even more relevant today given the current toxicity of politics in this country. High unemployment, a vanishing middle class, police brutality, violence in the streets, and dissenters labeled as terrorists are onscreen in the feature while reflecting much of the madness of 2020.

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper is my all-time favorite wrestler. Nada was a great fit for his ring persona. The dialogue delivery and improvisation comes naturally with all of the wrestling interviews and storylines he was so famous for. The extended alleyway brawl with Keith David is a highlight. Piper credited Keith David years later as being tougher than a number of his WWF foes. Meg Foster doesn't get a lot of screen time but makes the most of it in her pivotal role as a cable television employee. Carpenter regular George Buck Flower gets more than his usual cameo. While it's rather shocking how his character "drank the Kool-Aid" later on, it's a nice change of pace to see George with a role of more substance.

Still unsure how I would rank my favorite John Carpenter films, but They Live would probably sit near the top for me personally.

Gore Lunatic, hots4, maskull and 9 others like this.
  2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

So, I saw one of those "top movies to stream on Shudder" articles yesterday, and while some of the recent popular movies like Host and The Mortuary Collection were mentioned, two that I haven't seen anyone here talk about also made the list and with glowing reviews. That said, last night's viewings were

The Beach House (Shudder) - This is not a bad little movie! A young couple goes to the titular beach house for an off-season vacay, they find an older couple has already rented the place. The foursome enjoy themselves, but there's some kind of airborne contagion with nasty effects. OK, there's some big narrative gaps, and we never find out what's really happening. But there's one scene (cited in the article I mentioned, they called it "cringe-worthy body horror") that was really unsettling. It's worth a stream for that alone. Unfortunately, like I said there's a lot of loose ends, and the ending of the film made zero sense. But I also appreciated an anti-cliche. Ever watch a horror (or action) movie, someone suffers a debilitating injury like a stabbing, shooting, even the loss of a limb, and they just wrap a T-shirt around it and say "Let's go!" In this film, a serious injury limits a character's mobility for the remainder of the film. I like little touches like that.

Sweet, Sweet, Lonely Girl (Shudder) - Best cinematography I've seen in years. Unfortunately, that's all that's worth mentioning in this movie. Sometime in the 70s or 80s (it's not really clear - the music and cars are all 70s, but there's a Sony Walkman and Ronald Reagan is on the TV), a young woman goes to an old Victorian mansion to tend to her agoraphobic aunt. She meets a free-spirited young woman and they begin a whirlwind romance. That's kind of it. I think the twist ending (which I didn't get) hints at another identity for either the main character or the lover, but it went over my head. I highly doubt knowing what happened would make the film any better, or scarier though. Because it's not. Still, it looks great.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 16TH:

NOCTURNE.png

55.) Welcome To The Blumhouse: Nocturne (2020) (Amazon Prime) - Amazon released four Blumhouse movies this October, seemingly ones that Jason Blum didn't know what to do with. None of them looked especially interesting, but I figured I should at least give them a shot. Nocturne is the story of twin sisters, both of whom play the piano but one is more talented and acclaimed than the other. The less talented of the two finds the music notebook of a former piano prodigy who committed suicide by jumping off the roof, and uses it to try to surpass her sister, but soon finds herself falling into the same disturbing behavior that led to the previous girl's death. This was perfectly watchable, but it's also very polished, very tame, very bland, very Blumhouse. The movie is far more concerned with tepid teen drama than anything resembling thrills or horror. There are no surprises or twists to keep you on your toes, all the way to the very predictable final scene. I will say the two actresses, Sydney Sweeney (HBO's Euphoria) and Madison Iseman (Goosebumps 2, Annabelle Comes Home), are both quite good. Again, this one is perfectly watchable, but not really worth recommending.

56.) Love And Monsters (2020) (VOD) - The main reason I wanted to see this is because it was written by Brian Duffield, writer of The Babysitter, Spontaneous, and Underwater. So far he's 4 for 4, because I also enjoyed this one very much. This was a big budget Paramount movie that was intended for theatrical release, but was sent to VOD because of COVID-19. It's too bad, because as far as mainstream entertainment goes, this is well above-average, and the quiet VOD release will not earn it as big of an audience as a wide theatrical release would have. I think the idea was to do a kid-friendly version of Zombieland for the whole family to enjoy, with Michael Rooker in the Woody Harrelson role. Accordingly, this one doesn't have the blood or gore, but it does have giant monsters and big action set-pieces. It also has a lot of heart, charms, and even a few laughs. It might not have enough edge for some of the more hardened genre fans, but it fully delivers as an uber feel-good post-apocalyptic action comedy romance. Highly recommended, and bring the whole family.

AMUSEMENT.png

57.) Amusement (2008) (Blu-ray) - I remember this was supposed to be a theatrical release from New Line, but like with Trick 'r Treat they kept pushing it back for years before finally dumping it straight-to-video. I remember going to After Dark Horror Fest 2, and the trailer played before all 6 of the 8 movies I managed to see. Anyway, this is a very tight and fun little horror movie, as long as you don't apply logic or think about it too much. I hadn't seen it in quite a while, but it's a pretty unrelenting little 85 minute movie. Structured as an anthology, we get three tales of women in peril, before the finale ties the girls and their stories together. Wasting no time, we start Shelby and her boyfriend who find themselves in the convoy from hell. Next, the segment everyone remembers, babysitter Tabitha watches after her two nephews whilst being creeped out by the family's creepy life-size clown doll. Finally, we have the story of Lisa, who goes to find her roommate Cat at a creepy old mansion when she doesn't come home from a one-night stand. All three stories are strong, delivering thrills and chills, while even the wrap-up finale delivers as one big long silly chase scene. The first two segments are so strong that perhaps the rest of the movie suffers in comparison, but this movie is too short and tightly paced to ever be boring. Good stuff, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing this one again.

SCHOOL KILLER.png

58.) School Killer (2001) (DVD) - Shame on me, but I've never been the biggest Paul Naschy fan. However, if you put him as the killer in a post-Scream slasher movie, now you have my interest. That time period in the genre is definitely an acquired taste, and this movie is no exception. School Killer follows six very of-the-time attractive 20-somethings who stay the night in an old abandoned school, but soon start seeing strange things, including lights on in the windows and a creepy security guard (Paul Naschy) lurking around. As they wander the empty school, they say hip things like "this is exactly like Scream 3 or The Blair Witch Project". They soon learn that back in the '70s, there had been a massacre where six people were slaughtered by Naschy's security guard character, which is detailed in a 30-minute flashback essentially serving as a mini-slasher movie within the slasher movie. So you basically get two slasher movies for the price of one, the '70s version with Naschy's psychotic human security guard, and the present day one where they're being picked off by Naschy's ghost security guard. It wouldn't be a slasher movie without a holiday thrown into the mix, and the one here is Easter. I had seen this back when Image released the US DVD (which has a Spanish language menu), but it had been so long that I remembered nothing going in. Little bits and pieces came back to me along the way, especially the stuff with the ghosts standing in the windows. To be honest, this one is needlessly convoluted and not very good, but I'm a sucker for the post-Scream slashers so I still got a kick out of it.

DUMMY.png

59.) Goosebumps: Night Of The Living Dummy (includes episodes: Night Of The Living Dummy II & Bride Of The Living Dummy) (DVD) - Fox released these DVDs all weird, so while they paired these two episodes together, there's actually a Night Of The Living Dummy III (available on DVD separately) that goes between them. If that wasn't weird enough, they never made the first Night Of The Living Dummy into an episode, so II is our TV introduction to Slappy. Anyway, both of the episodes on this particular disc are more or less the same. A girl brings Slappy the dummy into her home, and he starts to wreak havoc on the family. The big difference, of course, is the Bride factor, as the family in the second episode already has a female doll in the house named Mary-Ellen. Both of these episodes have fun twist endings, with the Bride ending being especially wild. Once again, Ron Oliver (Prom Night II & III) directed II and wrote Bride. Slappy is a fan favorite, and they made him front-and-center for Sony's recent big-budget Goosebumps movies, so these episodes were definitely a fun burst of nostalgia.

OCTOBER 17TH:

EERIE INDIANA.png

60.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 2 Episodes 4 - 7 (DVD) - Four more episodes from the '90s kids series. First up is The Losers, about what happens to the items we lose. This episode is a bit of a The Burbs reunion with Henry Gibson and Dick Miller in prominent roles. Next is Scariest Home Videos, the series' Halloween episode where a mummy comes out of an old black-and-white horror film on TV. In Just Say No Fun, the school's eye doctor is turning Marshall and his peers into Stepford children. Finally, Danielle Harris guest stars in Heart On A Chain as the new girl in town with a heart defect. This episode is surprisingly heavy and sad for a kid's show. Great episode though. Supposedly Harris and series star Omri Katz dated, until he cheated on her with Vinessa Shaw on the set of Hocus Pocus. Disc 2 proved to be another fun burst of '90s kid-horror nostalgia, with Scariest Home Videos and Heart On A Chain being stand-out episodes.

Previous Entries:
    1.) Cabin By The Lake (2000)
    2.) Pet Sematary (1989)
    3.) Mercy Black (2019)
    4.) Nancy Drew Episodes 1 & 2 "Pilot" & "The Secret Of The Old Morgue"
    5.) Scare Me (2020)
    6.) Return To Cabin By The Lake (2001)
    7.) Monsterland Episodes 1 & 2 "Port Fourchon, Louisiana" & "Eugene, Oregon"
    8.) 12 Hour Shift (2020)
    9.) Nancy Drew Episodes 3 & 4 "The Curse Of The Dark Storm" & "The Haunted Ring"
    10.) Halloween Party (2019)
    11.) Let's Scare Julie (2020)
    12.) The Night Brings Charlie (1990)
    13.) Death Of Me (2020)
    14.) Vampires Vs. The Bronx (2020)
    15.) Nancy Drew Episodes 5 & 6 "The Case Of The Wayward Spirit" & "The Mystery Of Blackwood Lodge"
    16.) Do Not Reply (2019)
    17.) Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill! (2017)
    18.) The Clown At Midnight (1998)
    19.) Monsterland Episodes 3 & 4 "New Orleans, Louisiana" & "New York, New York"
    20.) Nancy Drew Episodes 7 & 8 "The Tale Of The Fallen Sea Queen" & "The Path Of Shadows"
    21.) Lovecraft Country Episode 1 "Sundown"
    22.) The Dead Ones (2019)
    23.) Possession: Until Death Do You Part (1987)
    24.) Monsterland Episodes 5 & 6 "Plainfield, Illinois" & "Palacios, Texas"
    25.) Hosts (2020)
    26.) Phantom Of Death (1988)
    27.) The Walking Dead Season 10 Episode 16 "A Certain Doom"
    28.) The Walking Dead: World Beyond Episode 1 "Brave"
    29.) Spontaneous (2020)
    30.) Tales From The Hood 3 (2020)
    31.) Eerie, Indiana Disc One Episodes 1 - 3
    32.) Nancy Drew Episodes 9 & 10 "The Hidden Staircase" & "The Mark Of The Poisoner's Pearl"
    33.) The Masque Of The Red Death (1989)
    34.) The Locals (2003)
    35.) Books Of Blood (2020)
    36.) The Wolf Of Snow Hollow (2020)
    37.) Hubie Halloween (2020)
    38.) Monsterland Episodes 7 & 8 "Iron River, Michigan" & "Newark, New Jersey"
    39.) Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 2 Episode 1 "Houses Of Hell"
    40.) The Cleansing Hour (2019)
    41.) Alone (2020)
    42.) Save Yourselves! (2020)
    43.) Nancy Drew Episodes 11 & 12 "The Phantom Of Bonny Scot" & "The Lady Of Larkspur Lane"
    44.) Lovecraft Country Episode 2 "Whitey's On The Moon"
    45.) Never Hike In The Snow (2020) + Here Comes The Night (2019)
    46.) Broil (2020)
    47.) Goosebumps: The Blob That Ate Everyone (also: Piano Lessons Can Be Murder & My Hairiest Adventure)
    48.) Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo! (2020)
    49.) Nancy Drew Episodes 13 & 14 "The Whisper Box" & "The Sign Of The Uninvited Guest"
    50.) Lovecraft Country Episode 3 "Holy Ghost"
    51.) Night Terror (1989)
    52.) The Mortuary Collection (2019)
    53.) Memorial Valley Massacre (1989)
    54.) Goosebumps: Monster Blood (also: How To Kill A Monster & The Girl Who Cried Monster)

4. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I ended up having the house to myself Friday night. I decided to bust out the projector and watch a couple of flicks outside in my back yard. Have a bunch of decorations out there, my beer fridge was full of Octoberfest's.....it was a blast.

1_jM0__hE8b196rCTYQ-5YXg.jpeg

Started the night off with Pumpkinhead. One of the coolest creatures ever. Classic late 80s horror and a lot of fun.

Planet_Terror_poster.jpg

It's been a while since I sat down and watched Planet Terror. Very entertaining over the top crazy. Looked fantastic on the projector including the trailer for Machete.

a3bae12ab919653cfb181556340a3032.jpg

A definite favorite of mine. Scream with an Alien pretty much. Very very entertaining.

All 3 were DVDs.......I think I drank 10 Sam Adams Octoberfest's out there for these features.....it was chilly but very comfortable. Ima try and watch more out there tonight.

Today I worked at the Halloween store.....And by "work" I mean I dressed up as Michael Myers, walked around the store, scaring the bejesus out of kids, handing out candy and little Halloween toys.....it was a blast. We sold baked goods and charged a buck to take a picture with me...all proceeds going to a local Children's hospital (Cooks in Fort Worth, TX) they do fantastic work and I believe we ended up raising over $1000!!!

IMG_20201017_131644.jpg

5. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Mixed bag this time. Ratings are out of ****.

10/10/20 - Luz (2018) *1/2
    A woman trudges into a police station, pursued by a body possessing entity seeking an obscure power she may not know she has.

This very short film feels excruciatingly long, with a pacing languid to the point of tedious and a TV episode's worth of plot stretched paper thin. The style is pretentiously artsy, reflected in the staging, framing, movements, and expressions. It’s as if the director felt each scene signified something so profound it required approaching and pondering to make that unmistakable. Instead it just gives feeling of "that’s it?".

The intent of weird is clear, with the film's marketing name dropping much better works of the genre. But it declares an affinity it doesn't deserve, like smearing chalk on construction paper and saying Dali inspired them should get them into the Louvre. Instead of weird, it only achieves the nonsensical to the brink of absurd.

Ditch this mess, watch the names the disk jacket drops like Possession and Mandy.

10/11/20 - The Taint (2011) **1/2
    "All your cocks just got blocked!"
    [​IMG]
    Contaminated water intended to enhance men's junk creates an apocalypse of mindless killers aroused by violence.

The film opens with a delightfully absurd sequence of dream waking, jump revealing killer dangling a hacked off penis, a sickle swinging chase so slow the chaser is actively shitting himself and the pursued has time to light a cigarette, woodland tracking by viscera, repeat projectile vomiting, and garden hose volume ejaculation. All crammed into a few minutes.

As the above implies, this is silly, crass, and deliberately offensive. Its excessive in all meanings of the word, not just in how far it goes, but in pushing that button as often as it can. If you're even the slightest bit prudish, or have no patience for low brow material, avoid this at all costs.

And the offensiveness doesn't limit to the body function crass, the intentionally absurd gore. There are also blatant racist insults made as a shock statement. Such as it’s an Asian executive who makes the decision to release the dick enlarging chemical, and the African American woman getting whipped by a mob of aroused white men.

The low brow humor shotgun swings its aim wildly. There are porn film money shot parodies. A sports training montage parody. A dick shooting rampage. It’s as if a bunch of teenage boys were writing skits for Saturday Night Live.

By coincidence following Luz in my viewings this month, the comparison between these two attempts at weird became unavoidable. Both focus on the visually unsettling to the beat of a synth score. Both are tremendously flawed in their execution, exercises in excess from entirely opposing directions. But while Luz fails miserably to achieve weird, The Taint definitely hits that mark, as insipid as its target threshold was. As such it gets a conditional rating bump, more in recognition of audacious than for quality.

10/12/20 - Rust Creek (2018) ***
    A young woman on route to an out of state interview gets lost on a rural road, and her intrusion on a pair of nefarious lowlifes becomes a life and death woodland pursuit.

The film ups the game for the frequently visited set up, with the protagonist stoically persevering, resourceful, and quick witted without pushing the bounds of believable. Things change up to a prolonged hide out with someone whose involvement and loyalty with both sides is...complicated.

The film gets points off for some tired tropes and lazy writing. The hick cop stereotype - local rural law enforcement is either corrupt or gullible. The trail of bodies of those who try to help the protagonist. A couple ridiculous coincidences of location in some scenes. And a false note end cut, like an attempt to make some statement of personal power and independence that was just out of place. But overall it’s a smart and effective effort, worth checking out.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Gore Lunatic, Colin, hots4 and 7 others like this.
  6. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Yeah I compared it to
    Triangle
    in my review here or on the other Horror forum. And that it didn't know if it was going to be a serious thriller or a slasher movie. It's still probably the best movie of what I call that blonde girl's horror trilogy. The other two being the Friday the 13th remake and Altitude.

indrid13 and Rocker10 like this.
  7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

22. Fear No Evil (Frank LaLoggia, 1981)

[​IMG]

Having seen Frank LaLoggia's Lady in White, which was made 7 years later, my expectations for Fear No Evil were not terribly high. It's not that I dislike Lady in White - it's a pretty decent movie, but there is a cloying and artificial sentimentality to it that really works against it. It's like a supernatural episode of The Wonder Years, or something. And it turns out that I was on the right track. That sense of unearned sentimentality exists here as well, but in this case the story isn't as good as Lady in White. So we end up with an unfocused antichrist narrative with no real central character, a villain without any personality, and poorly explained mythology. Amidst lots of soft-focus emoting.[​IMG]

I'm not sure what kind of resources LaLoggia had on this movie, but judging by the multiple locations, the large cast, the elaborate camera movement, and the recognizable songs that pepper the soundtrack, it certainly appears that he was working with a better budget than most first time directors. To his and the films credit, he does make very good use of a lot of those elements. It's just that when strung together, they don't gel as a particularly interesting or scary movie.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Gore Lunatic, Colin, indrid13 and 8 others like this.
  8. KGBRadioMoskow

Egads, just finished that yesterday myself. Write up will follow in my usual tardy habit, but I was in consensus with you. None of the characters were worth caring about, a profound gravity to the proceedings was asserted but never justified, the emotional tone was jarringly a half note off, and the villain and the heroes were bland, impotent, whiny wimps. The only credit I give to the film is it unintentionally achieved being very odd.

And wasn't that one of the most ridiculously over aged group of actors to play high school kids? I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of them who forgot to remove their wedding bands for some of the shots.

indrid13, Kim Bruun, maskull and 3 others like this.
  9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/16/2020

THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER (1960)

[​IMG]

Philip Winthrop (Mark Damon) travels to the home of his fiancée Madeline Usher (Myrna Fahey). He is ready to marry and intends to bring her back to Boston for a new life together. Overly protective brother Roderick (Vincent Price) is quick to voice displeasure. An albino suffering from a laundry list of afflictions, Roderick attempts to portray his sister as being even less healthy than he is and unable to ever leave the house. It's a mansion indeed albeit a crumbling deathtrap cared for by the same servant (Harry Ellerbe) for the past 60 years. Madeline's obsession with the family crypt in the building's depths does little to inspire confidence that their wedding invitations will ever get mailed out.

The Fall of the House of Usher was the first Edgar Allan Poe adaptation by director Roger Corman in addition to the first film he made with star Vincent Price. When concerns were raised to Corman that there was no monster in the script, he assured the powers that be "the house is the monster." Hard to argue with that as the moody photography firmly creates a place of menace all throughout. Production designer Daniel Haller also deserves credit for the gothic atmosphere, convincing even on a small budget. Aside from a nightmare involving a bunch of ghost cameos, it's a small cast of just 4 people. Vincent Price is ideal casting for the dark brooding Roderick. Price is at his best when telling the haunted stories of their family tree/infamy and showing off their portraits. He's like a macabre tour guide when taking Winthrop outside to explain the cursed history of the mansion. Mark Damon is less credible in his role, but with more experience under his belt, fared better in a similar role a few years later in Mario Bava's Black Sabbath (1964).

Scream Factory included an intro and outro with Vincent Price recorded for PBS television many years later. These are a fun bonus for longtime fans and available for a bunch of Price films on these sets.

THE HAUNTED PALACE (1963)

[​IMG]

Town warlock Joseph Curwen (Vincent Price) is public enemy number one in Arkham, Massachusetts of 1765. One night while deep in some demonic rituals with his mistress and a willing young beauty, townsfolk break up the party. Curwen curses Arkham and pretty much everyone who will ever live there before being burned to death. 110 years later, great-great-grandson Charles Dexter Ward (also Vincent Price) arrives with his wife Anne (Debra Paget). Having inherited the Curwen palace, they are met by hostile locals who want them gone. Among them is a Dr. Willet (Frank Maxwell) who actually means well. Estate caretaker Simon Orne (Lon Chaney Jr.) goes the extra mile to help the new occupants, especially eager to help Mr. Ward channel the spirit of Curwen.

When craving gothic horror cinema, you really can't beat the duo of Vincent Price and Roger Corman. The Haunted Palace was marketed as an Edgar Allan Poe film, but was actually based on a story from H.P. Lovecraft. In addition to the Necronomicon, this tale of possession gives Price a dual role. Rather than invest in makeup to distinguish the two characters - Price sells it on performance alone, body language, facial expressions, etc. Debra Paget would also co-star with Price the previous year in Roger Corman's Tales of Terror. The 60's didn't offer Lon Chaney Jr. many quality parts, however between this film and Spider Baby (1964), Lon proved that he still had much to offer as an actor.

If you're willing to overlook the cheap mutations effects on the cursed residents, there are other assets to consider. An atmospheric castle, a dungeon with lurking creatures, spirited classical score, and torch wielding citizenry all await you.

This film also includes the PBS intro & outro from Mr. Price himself.

Gore Lunatic, Colin, indrid13 and 8 others like this.
  10. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 17

70. Amityville Dollhouse (1996) Blu - This finished off the cursed collection. Another fairly average outing that had some entertaining moments. This movie revolves around a dollhouse that looks like the house from the first Amityville movie. A family builds a house that includes a chimney from a previous house that had burned. They find this dollhouse and end it up giving it to the young daughter and everything starts in motion. I don't regret the cursed collection purchase at all. The movies weren't up to par with the original, but that can be a hard feat. Still will be fun to revisit from time to time.

71. Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) Blu - Still rolling through the new boxset. Obviously this didn't end up being the final chapter, but we'll go with it. This is the movie that had Tommy (Corey Feldman). Jason definitely feels more aggressive in this movie and sets the tone for future movies.

72. Slaughter Studios (2002) Prime - A low budget film crew go back to an old studio that used to film old b movies but was shut down. They attempt to shoot a movie and it ends up being two movies in one. The movie starts feeling like a decent horror movie with around 25 minutes left. Too many goofy moments almost had me give up on this one and not finish. It ended interesting enough, but I felt it was a pretty weak movie overall.

73. Maximum Overdrive (1986) Blu - Pretty sure I can't add too much to this one. Fun movie, good soundtrack, and much better than 'Trucks' which I watched a week or so ago.

74. Zombie (1979) Blu - A definite classic. I have to be honest. I'm still pretty sore with Blue Underground for going all out on this elaborate set, but not mentioning the eventual 4K that was coming. Still haven't upgraded to that and might not even though I do watch this movie more than others in my collection.

75. Evil Dead II (1987) Blu - My favorite of the trilogy and in my opinion, a classic. Everyone knows what this one is about. I played my Lionsgate 25th anniversary edition to also check whether it suffered from rot like my two Saw movies did. It played fine with no issues including some of the special features. I'm curious if the new 4K is much of an upgrade and if the previous features were added to the new package. One of my favorite movies.

~Rocker10

Gore Lunatic, Colin, indrid13 and 9 others like this.
  11. ImmortalSlasher

Curse of La Llorona -

curse of la llorona.jpg

This is a kind of by the numbers horror movie. Not the best and not the worst. There are some good horror shots of the city and areas. I liked La Llorona's design and she has many creepy scenes including one early on in a dark area. There is a quick surprise in the movie which I won't spoil. But horror fans might find it interesting. I didn't know it going into the movie.

Patricia Velasquez who was in those action Mummy movies and that FBI serial killer movie has a role in La Llorona. But she is also in one of the dumbest scenes. One of those stupid horror movie moments.

The guy lead I remember from a bunch of 90s movies. He's kind of cool as the hero who barely seems fazed by the situation. This is one of those horror movies that wants to use time period and production as a selling point. A few bad ones that I can't remember did that. But I don't see a reason this can't be modern day. Overall it's not worth owning for me but I enjoyed the creepy moments in the movie.

12. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG]

Little Monsters (2019): Well if that wasn't the most adorable zombie movie ever made????!!!! I really could've done without the Josh Gad character, except for one line he had that made me laugh, so I guess he can stay, but otherwise he was just annoying and getting in the way of my good time. Everything about this movie is so damn cute!! I laughed so hard. I love this!!

13. ImmortalSlasher

Ready or Not -

ready or not.jpg

I do like this game card image. And the old kids game of Hide and Seek. With the saying ready or not, here I come.

This movie reminded me a bit of Clue with mansion and odd characters. But maybe it's either a bit too jokey or too dark, I can't figure it out. There are some real hilarious moments throughout. But perhaps with a movie like The Burbs where it's continually played back and forth with the are they killers or not would work better for Ready or Not. Also, there are a few obvious character things that happen which aren't really twists.

I remember first seeing Samara Weaving in the Evil Dead TV show and thinking that she was a good actress in her small role. So it's cool seeing her in this movie. And I do kind of like the ending. Yet something about it just doesn't reach that level of a Burbs or Clue. I didn't immediately want to watch the movie again.

14. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 17th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

40) The Wolf of Snow Hollow: A struggling, alcoholic cop finds members of his small mountain town mutilated after each full moon. Writer/director Jim Cummings knocks it out of the park again with the follow up to his dark/dramedy “Thunder Road”. The werewolf action is sparce, but the film more than makes up for it with plenty of funny moments and genuine humanity. The dramatic – yet hilarious – aspects take up the bulk of the film, unique for the horror genre which often takes the surface level approach to drama, and completely throwing it to the wayside once the shit hits the fan. If anything, the film under develops the secondary characters, who feel like background players and are very one note. The police procedure aspects were a bit underhanded as well, but the twist in the finale proved to be clever and entertaining. Recommended. (7/10)

41) Vampires vs. The Bronx: A group of friends discovers their neighborhood is being overrun by vampires. A fun, easy viewing that pays homage to the horror/comedy greats of the 1980’s. There are a number of clever nods to vampire lore – with references to F.W. Murnau, John William Polidori, and “Salem’s Lot” – which served as nice easter eggs if you’re paying close attention. Despite its obvious social commentary on gentrification and the lack of visibility of poor, minority communities, “Vampires v. The Bronx” doesn’t take itself too seriously. The leads – a group of young teens – do a great job here, coming off very charismatic and likeable. Method Man was a nice surprise as well, playing a sardonic catholic priest, and character actor Shea Whigham was perfect as the vampire’s familiar. Some of the jokes didn’t really hit the mark, coming across too corny at points, and Sarah Gadon was so-so as the lead vampire. She wasn’t terrible by any means, but she was not particularly convincing as a real threat. A fun, if flawed, horror/comedy. (6/10)

** "The Wolf of Snow Hollow" is available on VOD. "Vampires vs. The Bronx" is available on Netflix.

15. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    17. VIDEO STORE DAY: (10th anniversary!!) This is the big one. Watch something physically rented or bought from an actual video store. If you don’t have access to one of these sacred archival treasures then watch a movie with a video store scene in it at least. #vivaphysicalmedia

Movie # 32:
    Bad Karma (Hell's Gate) (2001) (DVD)

This one has sat in my collection for some time. Picked it up when a local video was going out of business and selling off their stock. Honestly I only picked it up because I find Patsy Kensit hot. The story is fairly slandered psycho stalks a family, shenanigans ensue. Kensit plays an escaped mental patient who believes her doctor is Jack The Ripper in a previous life and she was his lover. The film plays out fairly predictably with a surprising amount of bloody violence.
    Also surprising is the talent behind the camera. Directed by John Hough (The Legend of Hell House, Escape to Witch Mountain, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry and Twins of Evil), written by Randall Frakes, produced by Mark L. Lester, and the score is by Harry Manfredini.
    Nothing special, but I was entertained.

[​IMG]

Movie # 33:
    Cruel Jaws (1995) (DVD)

Holy balls! This movie. Bruno Mattei rips off Jaws a couple decades late and it's amazing. The film looks more like 1985 then 1995. The dubbing is atrociously bad. Then there's Star Wars music that plays multiple times. And the cherry on top of all this is the dude that looks like Hulk Hogan brother!

[​IMG]

Movie # 34:
    Spookies (1986) (Bluray)

Imagine if Charles Band directed The Cabin in The Woods in the '80's. And after he was done filming he had only forty minutes of film. So he brought in Lucio Fulci to direct some additional scenes with zombies. Then had Godfrey Ho edit it while snorting coke.
    I hadn't seen this sucker since the USA network back in the '90's. Had a lot of fun revising Spookies. Perfect for this time of the year.

[​IMG]

Movie # 35:
    Black Magic Part II (1976) (DVD)

Maggots. Breast milk. Pube shaving. Nails in the head. Hag screwing. Black Magic II really does have it all.

16. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Today's viewing

Trick or treat

A bullied teenage boy is devastated after the death of his heavy metal idol, Sammi Curr. But as Hallowe'en night approaches, he discovers that he may be the only one who can stop Sammi from making a Satanic comeback from beyond the grave.

I first watxhed this in the 80's and wasn't a fan, I decided to give it another go and my feelings haven't changed. I was enjoying it until sammi appeared at the high school dance and then it's all down hill from there, where for me it turned into a electric bolt firing bore fest. It's goreless which also doesn't help. I enjoyed the cameo's but won't be revisiting this again.

17. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG]

A Babysitter’s Guide to Monster Hunting (2020): So Rachel Talalay hasn't made a ton of memorable movies, but she worked on the Nightmare On Elm Street franchise, even directed Freddy's Dead (which has grown on me over the years), and let's not forget Tank Girl. Which I haven't seen in a while but used to love. Now she's directed this movie for Netflix. It's not very good, but I'm sure it'll be fine for some young kid to watch as their first horror-ish movie. At least it has a cool chair that turns into cats, followed up by the cutest cats chasing a laser pointer scene that I've seen in a long while. So there's that if you have to watch it.

Gore Lunatic, hots4, Rocker10 and 5 others like this.
  18. KGBRadioMoskow

And my Y chromosome quickly clicks the buy button on the Amazon cart...

ImmortalSlasher, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  19. KGBRadioMoskow

More shlock on tap. Ratings are out of ****.

10/13/20 - Darlin' (2019) **
    A feral teenager staggers into a hospital seeking help, which leads to her offloading to a religious school for domestication with an ulterior motive. Her taming doesn't quite go as planned, while her bestial companion blazes a trail of carnage tracking her down.

This is a watchable film but a conceptual misfire. Many aspects just don't ring true by way of lazy execution. Like the feral girl with obviously sculpted eyebrows and shaved body hair. The ridiculously quick learning of language and transition from raging animal to girl just wanting to have fun. Followed by the just as sudden switch to suicidal with rebellious statement intent. Then there are the heavy handed social messages. The bad Church stereotypes - inflexibly disciplinary, rejecting of science, morally hypocritical, stubbornly stupid, wantonly cruel, and sexually perverse. The only misfits are good people trope - the rebellious teens, the ex-junkie, the gay couple, and the homeless. Everyone else is actively evil or complicit by inaction and thus worthy of slaughter without regret.

The final act is a three ring circus of crazy nonsense, with most of the passive participants exiting as quickly as they arrived when the gore splatters the screen.

A trilogy concluding sequel to Offspring and The Woman, this falls short of those also flawed films. When it was over, I was left again with the impression I frequently have in regard to McKee and McIntosh, that their work shows promise and daring but is too sloppy and overbearing. There's definite potential for them to deliver. McKee stormed onto the scene with the riveting May and The Woods, and McIntosh was in front of the camera for notables like Headspace and Let Us Prey. But this is phoning it in compared to those works.

10/14/20 - Hatchet (2006) **
    A pair of friends sidetrack from their Mardi Gras revelry to take a haunted swamp tour. There they meet face to blade with the local legend and undead deformed hulk Victor Crowley.

This is a tongue in cheek slasher fest, first of a franchise claiming trilogy, trying to plant feet onto the ground of funny, scary, and dramatic. It doesn't really accomplish any of them. It does manage amusing, but unremarkable to the point of being throw away viewing.

[​IMG]

For the carnage score card, the attacks are brazenly straight forward and telegraphed, the kills excessively energetic in a distinctively good way. But they're not enough to make up for tone deaf delivery of almost everything else.

Robert Englund makes an establishing act cameo, and is then gone except as a prop corpse. Tony Todd similarly pokes out of a doorway to deliver a particularly bad Cajun accent as a litigation spooked voodoo priest, then slams the door on his movie presence. Richard "I have people skills!" Riehle steps out of his Office Space cubicle and into a gator's jaws, where a Jump to Conclusions mat won't help him.

There are worse ways to spend a movie night. But Freddy, Jason, and Michael didn't take any notice of this wannabe franchise party crasher. Even Chucky, The Tall Man, Ghostface, and Jigsaw said get to the back of the room.

10/15/20 - Thirst (1979) ***
    A secret society of vampires embarks on a campaign to brainwash a woman into accepting her forgotten blood-sucking ancestral heritage.

[​IMG]

Straight out of the 70s film making playbook, this moody mind-freak is less about traditional vampire horror and more about social dystopia and elitist conspiracies. The vampires here are the aristocracy, openly flaunting positions of power while keeping their dietary habits under wraps. And their day to day habits in that regard are rarely so uncouth as street hunting and neck chomping - humans are kept in blood farm communes, drained to the point of stupor in sterile factories to ensure peak product quality. To which the vampires visit as tourists to marvel at the process, emphasizing the coldly impersonal nature of their gruesome consumerism.
    [​IMG]
    The overly passive protagonist is mostly a sullen witness to the proceedings, shambling from one reality bending attempt to break her will to another. Setting the stage for some remarkable visuals, such as the possessed room that changes its demeanor as its occupant succumbs, and the neck attaching blood drain machines.

There are some miscues, mostly in dated tropes of the era. Like the odd repeated attempts to make golf carts imply something sinister. The dated 70s music that often widely misses the mark of the emotional tone. Easily ignorable flaws for this slow paced, enticingly strange, and prediction defying presentation.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Gore Lunatic, Colin, indrid13 and 7 others like this.
  20. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 18

76. Friday The 13th: A New Beginning (1985) Blu - Kind of a different entry in the series. Still enjoying my run through the series. Thought the guy cast as the older Tommy was a bit of a miscast look-wise.

77. The Forest (2016) Netflix - I had been looking into this one just prior to somebody mentioning it. This is the movie about the twin sister who goes missing in the Japanese 'suicide forest'. The other twin travels to Japan to try to find her in the forest. I watch Chicago Fire and Taylor Kinney who plays Kelly Severide on that show is in this movie. The movie does a good job of casting doubt. You are left guessing whether to believe what you are seeing or not. Some creepy imagery in places as well. The movie has some flaws, but I did enjoy my watch.

78. The Haunted Palace (1963) Blu - I popped this disc in from the Vincent Price collection volume 1 and basically let it go for both movies. Satans-Sadists gave good write-ups on both so I'll not add anything. Enjoyed both. Vincent Price doing what he does best.

79. The Fall Of The House Of Usher (1960) Blu - The other movie I just mentioned. I've hit a lot of these Price movies in the three collection box sets. Pretty good stuff.

80. My Bloody Valentine (1981) Blu - So Lionsgate is officially on my shit list. I was checking discs and found that my 2009 version of the remake with the anaglyph 3D has now gone bad as well. That's three movies so far this month, all Lionsgate. I'm going to have to take a deeper dive after the marathon so I know where I stand. I watched this movie to see if it too had gone bad. It played fine and the movie is good. I would really liked to have had the new Scream version, but their prices suck as usual. I missed it on their recent sale for 19.99. Maybe, I'll try again some other time on sale. I don't trust Lionsgate's earlier disc releases at this point.

81. Ju-On: The Grudge (2002) DVD - Man, where do I begin. This DVD was open, but I can't remember ever watching this before. This movie had a very interesting structure to it. A series of stories that help create the timeline of the main story. Things would get a bit slow and then the creepy shit starts. I guess in a way I blew it (maybe). This apparently is the third installment and I didn't realize that. Not sure how close movies tie together or if they even do, but I'll probably take the time to find out. The Japanese obviously do things a bit different and the results in at least the stuff I have watched have been pretty good.

~Rocker10

maskull, Gore Lunatic, Colin and 8 others like this.