The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2019!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2019.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Not the greatest of evenings, tonight's viewing:

Zombie Flesh Eaters 3 aka Zombie 4: after death.

Bottom of the barrel, lowest of the low, for me no redeemable qualities. Complete shit, the end could not come quick enough.

Nightbeast

Not as bad as Zombie, but not great, some really bad acting and non existent script make the short running time feel a lot longer. It does have some ok gore and I really like the alien.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  2. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 20

86. The Mad Doctor of Market Street (1942) Blu - Decided to finish up the Universal Horror collection 2 this morning. First time watch. I thought I knew which direction it would go and then it took a different turn. The last Lionel Atwill movie in the collection.

87. The Mad Ghoul (1943) Blu - The last of the collection. Kind of a slow go, but entertaining anyway.

88. The Cat o' Nine Tails (1971) Blu - Seen this one a few times. I had bought the Arrow set sometime after last years viewing and wanted to crack it this marathon. Really like this movie and Argento in general. Good cast here. The set is really nice as one would expect.

89. The Stuff (1985) Blu - While I was in my Arrow collection I decided to open this as well. Odd Larry Cohen movie that works if you go in with the right mindset. The stuff looked like marshmallow cream. People just couldn't get enough!

90. The Monster of Piedras Blancas (1958) Blu - Obviously similar to the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Same rubber suit styled movie with a different look. Seen this one a few times now. Fun movie if you just want to chill and maybe are short on time.

~Rocker10

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/19/19

OPERA (1987)

[​IMG]

An Italian opera house experiences the curse of Macbeth when a car accident mows down its leading diva. Her young understudy Betty (Cristina Marsillach) gets called into action to play the coveted role of Lady Macbeth, much to the delight of her agent and mentor Mira (Daria Nicolodi). Despite personal insecurities, Betty is a success. As the acclaim and admirers pour in, one of them goes much too far expressing their fandom. A masked psychopath kills individuals connected to her. Betty is tied up, gagged, and forced to watch the slaughter as rows of needles are taped beneath her eyes. Could these events have a connection to a childhood trauma that has haunted her ever since?

Opera has got to be one of the biggest budgeted films Dario Argento made in his career, estimated around $8 million dollars. A very large cast, rich production design, fancy costumes, convincing special effects, and lots of music effectively combine in this unpredictable giallo. Clever camera work is found throughout, flying around the performance hall like the many ravens and staring down a peephole following a suspicious knock at the door. Betty is often difficult to figure out. Even stranger is police inspector Santini (Urbano Barberini from Demons). Betty feels more confidence in her director Marco (Ian Charleson), who really seems to have her back. Marco has an unconventional strategy in attempting to learn the killer’s identity. The story ends in the Swiss Alps and looks like scenery from Phenomena (1985).

I’m a big fan of Dario Argento, but don’t care for most of the movies he made from the 90’s onwards. Still haven’t seen some of them. Opera and Two Evil Eyes (1990) are the last ones I really enjoy. Scorpion released this limited edition earlier in 2019.

4. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

Decided to open up my American Horror Project Vol 2 boxset and watch them in one sitting.

37. Dark August (1976) First time watch

A man (Sal) accidentally runs down and kills a young girl and has a curse placed on him by the girl's father, who is apparantly an occultist,then Sal and his friends have strange occurrences happen to them so he turns to a local witch for help.

Slow moving and creepy , the film moves at a leisureley place towards it climax then wraps up quickly . liked this and will watch again soon. 3.5/5

38. The Child (1977) First time watch

A housekeeper goes to live with a family with little girl who has the power to control the dead to take revenge on those she thinks wronged her after her mother dies.

This started off well with a atmospheric opening in a cemetary , it quickly leads to a by the numbers plot leading to a climax reminiscent of night of the living dead.

Despite the bad acting and probably the worst child performance since Bob i still enjoyed this , the synth soundtrack and overuse of fog machines and overall general tone made this feel like a low grade Fulci film. Go into this with low expectations you might enjoy this 3/5

39. Dream no evil (1970) First time watch

A young girl who is adopted by a church family dreams of her father coming to rescue her , as an adult she travels the countryside with her faith healer step brother still looking for her father. She finds her father by accident when she runs into a pimp/undertaker who tells her he knew her father and he has just died and he has him in his mortuary. Cue the insanity , the irish jig sequence has to be seen to be believed.

Dreamlike and weird sometimes , hard to know whats going on however the handy voiceover narration helps steer you in the right direction. worth another watch 3/5

5. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 20th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

49) Zombieland

50) Shaun of the Dead

51) Severance

52) Cabin in the Woods

Steel76, Rocker10, Natas and 2 others like this.
  6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Here's what I watched over the weekend:

[​IMG]
    Movie #19:
    Fangoria's Weekend of Horrors (1986)
    First time viewing (VHS)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    18. ONLY ON VHS: Watch something on the true psychotronic format. If you don't have a VCR then watch a movie with a VCR/VHS theme in it.

Grabbed this tape in Austin years ago and never got around to watching it. It's an interesting time capsule of the first(?) Fango convention back in the mid-80s. Some interesting celebrity interviews (Clu Gulager, Steve Miner and Wes Craven had the best insights for my money), some fan interviews (it was an L.A. con so people like Walter Koenig were showing up as fans), and a lot of film clips. Now that we have horror conventions basically every weekend somewhere in the country, this doesn't give much beyond a time capsule, but it's an easy way to kill an hour.

[​IMG]
    Movie #20:
    The Haunting of Julia (1977)
    First time viewing (French DVD)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    19. VIDEO STORE DAY: This is the big one. Watch something physically rented or bought from an actual video store. If you live in a place that is unfortunate enough not to have one of these archival treasures, then watch a movie with a video store scene in it at least. #vivaphysicalmedia

This was an effective ghost story with really powerful opening and closing scenes. The stuff in-between was a little been-there-done-that as far as haunting stories go, but Mia Farrow is a great anchor to guide you through the spooky shenanigans. Unfortunately it's hard to find and even harder in a good quality version, the region 2 DVD I rented from Scarecrow Video was pretty hard to watch.

With it being International Independent Video Store Day, I also made a day out of hitting up stores and events. Grabbed a bunch of stuff on sale from Scarecrow Video (which has the largest rental library in the world with over 120,000 titles) and then headed down to Portland. While there I checked out Movie Madness, probably the 2nd best video store I've been to. It has a smaller selection than Scarecrow (about 80,000 titles) and not very much for sale, but it has its own screening room and props/costumes from several movies on display. Ended the day by watching Joe Bob Briggs' show "How Rednecks Saved Hollywood" which I definitely recommend checking out if it comes to your town.

[​IMG]
    Movie #21:
    Dead Alive (1992)
    Rewatch (DVD)
    **** (out of 5)
    20. SUNDAY DINNER: From exceptional eating scenes to full on foodie fodder. Come hungry!

Before he discovered hobbits, Peter Jackson was the king of the gross-out meal scene. This didn't work for me as well as it did when I was younger, but it's still full of some of my favorite gore gags ever.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    hulkyduck, Rocker10, indrid13 and 4 others like this.
  7. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

40. Nightmare Sisters (1988) First time watch

Bluray. Low budget horror flick starring Linnea Quigley, Brinke Stevens and Michelle Bauer as three geeky sorority sisters who invite 3 geeky boys round for a party, who then proceed to hold a seance which results in the girls being possessesed by a sucubus which transforms them into horny sexy killers.

Bad acting and poor SFX wont spoil the fun on the screen , Funny begining with the psychic that had a crazy Indian accent leading to the Girls posing in various states of undress (the bathtub scene being a highlight) to the Exorcist called in to fight the demon , this was mindless fun for the near 90 minutes runtime. This would have been perfect to watch with a few beers in me . 3/5

Colin, Rocker10, Kim Bruun and 5 others like this.
  8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/20/19

DISMEMBER THE ALAMO

Participating Alamo Drafthouse cinemas offer an all-day horror movie marathon in October. Today it was in Tempe. The 4 films are always a mystery until the movie starts playing. A vague theme was provided in advance: practical effects. A couple clues were thrown out before each. You just hope this is money well spent.

NIGHT OF THE CREEPS (1986)

[​IMG]

Pledge week finds two nerds Chris (Jason Lively) and JC (Steve Marshall) attempting to steal a cadaver from the university medical center. Chris longs to hook up with sorority girl Cindy (Jill Whitlow) and figures that joining a fraternity is his best bet at making it happen. Nothing goes as planned, but the cryogenics lab now has a major mess on its hands. Police detective Ray Cameron (Tom Atkins) steps in to investigate. Still haunted by events from when he was a rookie cop, Cameron must face an alien experiment that threatens more than just the campus.

Night of the Creeps really started the day off with a bang. A strong script and game performances go a long way. You can never have enough Tom Atkins and the man himself has frequently called this his personal favorite role. I am biased, but he steals the show. Great reactions from the crowd to the one-liners and 80’s nostalgia. Love the cameo from Dick Miller. You can see an influence of 50’s alien themed science fiction along with some slasher and zombie elements popular when this was made. The humor and inside genre references further explain how this remains a fan favorite.

HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP (1980)

[​IMG]

The fishing village of Noyo, California is excited when a company makes plans to open a cannery in their zip code. More jobs for the locals with the prospect of better pay certainly looks good on paper. The discovery of monster mutations complicates everything. First encountered in the water, attacks on land soon follow. Everyone is a target. Women have far more to worry about as these horny creatures are looking to mate.

Humanoids from the Deep takes another look at an evil corporation engaged in growth hormone experiments. A nearly identical plot device was used in Alligator (1980), which I watched just a few days earlier. It’s also fair to say that the mutation angle is recycled from Piranha, another release from Roger Corman’s New World Pictures. Easy to see why Humanoids was much less of a commercial success with the extra nudity and monster rape scenes. There’s no shortage of that along with frequent explosions and cans of Olympia Beer. The village annual festival is hands down the best scene. Let’s just say it gets out of control and not because of the town drunks like Hank Slattery (Vic Morrow).

Grainy picture quality on the big screen, not unlike home video versions. It serves the movie well when factoring in the rugged location and Northern California marine layer found on the coastline.

BRAIN DAMAGE (1988)

[​IMG]

Brian (Rick Hearst) awakens in his tiny shared New York City apartment with more than just a nasty headache. A parasitic creature named Aylmer (voiced by an uncredited John Zacherle: the horror host) attaches itself to him. Aylmer generously provides a stream of hallucinogenic drugs into Brian. Comes at a heavy price. Human brains are the nutrition this being requires. Finding victims can be a lot of work. More drugs might ease the burden a bit.

Basket Case (1982) is the only film I had ever seen from director Frank Henenlotter prior to this screening. Don’t remember liking it and never checked out the sequels. Brain Damage is just too silly for our tastes (my wife and I). The practical effects are impressive at times, especially considering the budget. A blow job scene involving Aylmer is funny and outrageous. Some gritty NYC locations are used along with many band posters including Reign in Blood from Slayer. Kevin Van Hentenryck from Basket Case turns up for a cameo on a subway ride carrying you guessed it, a wicker basket.

Was hoping for the evening to end with a movie more to our liking. The first two entries were creature features. Since the program now shifted to body horror, maybe an early David Cronenberg movie? Huge understatement to say we weren’t prepared for what came next.

BODY MELT (1993)

[​IMG]

On the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia you will find the suburb called Homesville. The Pebbles Court subdivision within becomes a test market for Vimuville Corporation. Free samples of their dietary supplements are mailed to residents. Ever watch a commercial for the latest “wonder pills” in which the benefits are few, but the list of potential side effects is endless? These so-called wellness products are far worse with risks such as: bad trip hallucinations, gruesome mutations, and body decomposition. Detective Sam Phillips (Gerard Kennedy) investigates the madness.

Body Melt may be an acquired taste, but for us it was about as entertaining as food poisoning. If exploding entrails, loss of skin, sex with inbreds, decorative mucus, and killing kangaroos excites you – then knock yourself out with this one. Brain Damage was a subtle film in comparison. Body Melt is splatter satire with over three hours of viewing torture compressed into less than 90 minutes.

Was very encouraged at the first two selections that this would be an awesome day of retro horror cinema. Instead we had two great ones followed by two throwaway titles. Last year’s Tempe event had only one shit movie. We are going to another Dismember the Alamo marathon next weekend. Fingers crossed it will be a more satisfying program overall.

9. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Found the last two amusing, but not enough so to upgrade beyond my DVD copy. Oddly I ranked Body Melt slightly higher of the two, but not by much (and don't remember why). Good chance one or both will get the purge treatment.

Humanoids for some reason retains a special consideration. Maybe its the over the top, crassly offensive proceedings. Maybe the critters are near spot on to my expectations of Lovecraft's Deep Ones (and until Dagon, I feared it would be as close to Innsmouth we'd ever get). It is a keeper for me, and was a prompt Blu upgrade.

Night of the Creeps needs no justification, its an 80s classic for damn good reasons and I'm probably not done double-dipping on media versions.

10. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Day 20 of the Scarecrow Psychotronic Challenge.
    SUNDAY DINNER: From exceptional eating scenes to full on foodie fodder.
    You can tell I've seen Rocky Horror way too many times when I was younger. Having not seen it in many years, I still remembered all the lines and the songs. I think not having seen it in so long made me appreciate it so much more.

[​IMG]

Later I watched Psycho 3. What a fantastically bonkers little film. Was Anthony Perkins influenced by Dario Argento at all? The phone booth murder and a couple other scenes seem straight out of an early '80's Argento film. Jeff Fahey is so damn charming and sleazy in Psycho 3.

hulkyduck, hots4, Rocker10 and 4 others like this.
  11. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Beautiful lineup of "horror comedies" there, sir.

I'm not a huge Zombieland fan but been meaning to watch again before possibly checking out the sequel.

I fucking love the other 3, though.

Colin, indrid13 and hulkyduck like this.
  12. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 21

91. To All A Good Night (1980) Blu - Another movie that ended up being a recent pick up based on this thread. Fairly cheesy but fun.

92. The Legend of Boggy Creek (1972) DVD - Was really hoping to catch my first viewing on Blu this year, but it's getting closer and I'll have it soon. I watched this noticing the quality due to a much better version coming. There were a lot of dark scenes on my Hen's Tooth DVD with detail being washed out. It will probably be an all new experience with the upgrade. Liked this movie and always have. Looking forward to the Blu.

93. Dead Alive (1992) Blu - I'm a fan of the early Peter Jackson stuff. It was time to get it in. I had forgot how bat-shit crazy this movie was took the gore of Bad taste to all new heights. The humor is great too. I catch this one every couple of years or so.

94. Bad Taste (1987) DVD - Another crazy as hell Jackson film. Quite a few laugh out loud moments here. I hope the rumors are true that 4K masters are being worked on for these two films.

~Rocker10

Kim Bruun, fattyjoe37, Natas and 4 others like this.
  13. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I'm on page 6 catching up. The forum seems solid now from when I tried to check a few weeks ago and it was down. I held off posting reviews and because of some other stuff too. But I'm going to post a few reviews tonight.

To start, a few weeks ago I was taking a short cut through a neighborhood during the afternoon and saw a life sized IT Pennywise clown in someone's house! He was right in the front window, kind of peaking from the side of the curtains. It gave me chills, seeing something like that in broad daylight while driving though a quiet street.

I wish I took a photo. But it was freaky. I couldn't believe what I was seeing because I've never seen something like that outside of a theme park. I always knew that didn't want a life sized horror statue in my house as it could scare me in the middle of the night. But the effect on people could be really cool.

Dark Discussions Podcasts -

I have a bunch of these to catch up on. I always catch up during October. I've listened to a couple so far. These guys usually find horror movies I haven't seen or heard of. Or they notice something that I didn't pick up on.

http://darkdiscussions.com/

indrid13 and hulkyduck like this.
  14. ImmortalSlasher

Late response but I think all the cenobites get worse after the first movie. Same goes for the movies as well. I do agree that Part 2 kind of goes well with Part 1. But I can live without Part 2. In fact I will and won't ever own it.

Many series are a bit up and down. But Hellraiser is odd in how none of the sequels are as good as the original.

indrid13 and hulkyduck like this.
  15. ImmortalSlasher

indrid13 likes this.
  16. ImmortalSlasher

I'm listening / watching Halloween 3 while typing up these reviews. Halloween 3 will always be an October favorite. I'm sure I've reviewed it before in previous years. But I really believe this is the way the Halloween series should have continued. With different stories using the Halloween title and not always focused on Myers.

Knock Knock -

knock knock.jpg

I hated this movie. I posted the poster image because the tag line should be some movies should never be watched.

Every time I see an Eli Roth movie, I always conclude that his short trailer Thanksgiving in Grindhouse is still his best. There is a crude feel in all of his projects. I guess because Keanu Reeves is in Knock Knock I thought it would be better. But it's not.

I thought the movie would be more clever too. Maybe you could call this a light version Audition if you wanted to stretch things. But it's really just female teasing to sexual harassment. And I guess it's kind of personal because I've experienced that sort of thing. It's not like the scenes in Ghoulies or Ghostbusters because that's supernatural and you aren't thinking straight in that sort of situation. Versus two normal girls that are just harassing you and attempting to take advantage of a decent person. If the movie's premise was flipped and it was a woman alone and two guys knock on her door at night. She wouldn't even open the door. Let alone entertain them in her house. Same goes for if it was a guy alone and two guys knock on the door. It's a silly premise and the twist doesn't really go anywhere either. The two girls would most likely get caught in a few days at most.
    ---

I watched these two to erase the bad taste of Knock Knock away.

The Blair Witch Project -

blair witch project.jpg

I still want to see the sequel and remake. But this movie always cracks me up. I love the outdoors and exploring stuff. And you can get lost really fast in the forest if you don't know where you are going. The stuff with the map is classic. The acting is perfect. It feels real. Blair Witch Project will stay in my top horror list.

Channel Zero: Dream Door Episode 1 -

channel zero.jpg

I watched this again while eating and because I deleted a file by accident. I was going to attempt to find the poster in the couple's house. So I had to find a good shot again to do a screen capture. But this first episode still holds up. Too bad the series didn't continue this year. But it ended on a good note with Dream Door. I think I reviewed every episode in 2018's topic.

17. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 21st
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

53) Zombieland: Double Tap: When Little Rock runs off with a boy she just met, Tallahassee, Wichita & Columbus go on a dangerous road trip in order to find her. After a decade removed from the original film, I worried Fleischer and company would not be able to rekindle the magic that made the original “Zombieland” so special. Thankfully they managed to hit another home run. With plenty of great nods to the previous entry, snappy one liners, and a fantastic supporting cast – especially Zoey Deutch as the ditzy blonde – makes for an enjoyable experience. The returning cast, as well, act as if not a single day has past, and the chemistry they had is still very much there. Sure, the film does slow down a bit in the second act, and the ending is a bit too much retread of its predecessor, but “Zombieland: Double Tap” is everything I wanted out of a sequel. A defiant must see for fans of the original. (7/10)

54) Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

55) What We Do in the Shadows

hulkyduck, Rocker10, indrid13 and 2 others like this.
  18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #22:
    The Little Shop of Horrors (1960)
    Rewatch (Amazon Prime)
    *** (out of 5)
    21. POWER PLANTS: One where vegetation fights back.

Enjoyed this more than I remembered. I still prefer the musical remake, but this is one of the more amusing Corman directed cheapies I've seen. When I was in Portland over the weekend I hit up their huge book store Powell's and found a book from the late 80s called The Little Shop of Horrors Book which covered this film, the stage musical, and the remake. Good timing on that.

[​IMG]
    Movie #23:
    Crawl (2019)
    First time viewing (DVD)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)

I've rewatched a few of Alexandre Aja's films over the last year. A couple (High Tension, Piranha 3D) didn't work as well for me as when they first came out, but The Hills Have Eyes remake was better than what I remembered. I'd put Crawl in second place in his filmography for me, behind Hills. It's not aiming for much in the way of fun or laughs like Piranha did, but it's a solid aquatic creature feature. I enjoyed it more than the similar "trapped with a predator" movies The Shallows and 47 Meters Down.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  19. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Definitely. But I'll give a nod to Inferno, in that I found it a good "hellish punishment for your sins" flick. If I dropped my Hellraiser collection to 2 films the choice is obvious, but if it dropped to 3 this one would be the third.

Like Halloween III isn't a Halloween film, Hellraiser V: Inferno isn't a Hellraiser film. But also like the former, weighed on its own merits its fairly good.

20. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Day 21 of the Scarecrow Psychotronic Challenge.
    POWER PLANTS. One where the vegetation fights back.
    The Return of Swamp Thing. Don't think I'd seen this sucker since sometime in the '90's. It's campy and dumb and a lot of fun. Plus there's a ton of nice creature effects and Heather Locklear. Topped off with a great opening credits sequence. Besides Swampy, I watched a bunch of Doom Patrol. Which continues to bring the weird.

[​IMG]

Colin, hulkyduck, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.