The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2018!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Hope everyone had an enjoyable Halloween!!!
    Had the day off of work, and it was nice to sleep in while it downpoured outside! Slept till 945, had a beer cracked and was watching Halloween by 1015. Unfortunately there ended up being a fucking Tornado warning from 6-10pm so trick or treating was pretty much cancelled. Door bell rang twice around 530 but that was it. But it did serve as perfect horror movie watching weather!
    I decided to add some first time viewings into my Oct 30th-31st lineup.

Candyman 2....first time viewing

[​IMG]

Never sat down and watched this, although I've seen most parts here and there on TV. I enjoyed it....fun enough little slasher.

Body Bags..... another first time view

[​IMG]

I'm a sucker for anthologies. I liked the gas station segment the best. Enjoyable enough movie.

Motel Hell..... first time watch

[​IMG]

I really did not like this flick. It wasn't awful...I just didn't find it entertaining.... certainly not the funnest movie. Glad I finally caught but won't be revisiting any time soon

Halloween

[​IMG]

My all time favorite movie. Perfection. 11 out of 10. 2nd year in a row watching on blu ray. Beautiful.

Halloween 2

[​IMG]

Watched this right after the first. It was my first time watching on blu ray. I watched this for years on VHS....holy fuck what an improvement....was like watching a new movie. Fantastic slasher. Always have loved this movie

Idle Hands

[​IMG]

One of my all time favorite movies. Watch it around Halloween every year. Still holds up well after almost 20 years.

Fear Inc

[​IMG]

Caught this last year and really enjoyed it. I find it very entertaining even though it's fairly predictable.

Tragedy Girls.....first time view

[​IMG]

Man I really did not enjoy this one. After reading about all the love this film gets.....I was very disappointed. Boring, no likable characters, tame kill scenes..... no me gusta.

The Houses October Built 2

[​IMG]

First time viewing. Aside from some cool Halloween attraction imagery, this one was a bore. I wasn't a HUGE fan of the original but it was much more enjoyable than this one.

Overall I had a very enjoyable Halloween. The wife and I had the day off. Got some lunch, did some Jack O Lanterns, ate a bunch of junk, drank 12+ beers throughout the day, and even got to scare the delivery man by answering the door with a creepy bunny mask on when he dropped off dinner! Good times.

2. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

If it's not cold and rainy then you just watch a horror that takes place in the desert or on a bright day. :) But I get it. There were a couple of days I planned to watch a ton of movies and ended up either being too tired or just not in the mood. You don't force your horror watches. Well maybe I did a bit, but not in a bad way.

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Oct. 31st

The Monster Squad (1987)

Obvious choice is obvious, but after a long month and a long week (already) at work, I needed my comfort zone. And so, my favorite horror film. How did it hold up during my...I dunno, 20th viewing? This time, two things really stuck out for me:

1. Rudy is a BADASS. He smokes, he's old(er), and he pretty much does all the killing: He kills all three of the Brides of Dracula; he kills the Mummy, and he fucking kills the Wolfman (and he makes Frankenstein's Monster cry)! He sticks up for Horace, he steals their biggest weapons, forges silver bullets, and he even finds time to mack on the blonde sister.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The dialogue, especially early on, can be problematic. I get that this was the 1980s and things were "different" then, but wow, is there ever a lot of homophobic language. Of course, all forms of entertainment will age and need to be taken into historical context when viewed, but it does make this particular film difficult to recommend to younger kids today.

3. OK, I know I said two things but right at the end, there is an extra who comes up to the Squad as they are all hugging and he pushes his way through and it's bizarre. He tries to interact with everyone as the camera pulls away, and everyone keeps trying to shuffle around him. Watch for it next time, he comes around the left-hand side.

This remains my favorite horror film. It has heart, great effects, kids in legitimate danger, an abundance of dynamite, a terrible end credits theme song, and for the most part, it really holds up. I love this movie!

4. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 31st-

[​IMG]
    #SCVpsychochallenge: Day 31. IN THE GRAVEYARD: The graveyard seems a fitting place to end a journey. But for some it might just be the beginning...ZOMBIES!!!
    Halloween come and gone. Was a blast doing the challenge this year. Got to check out some new horror films and rewatch some favorites.
    As always, was great seeing everybody's selections and sharing mine. Hope everyone had a good Halloween.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, hots4 and 6 others like this.
  5. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 31ST:
    Elvira's Halloween Special
    The Wickedest Witch
    Frankenstein (1910)
    The Devil and Daniel Mouse
    The Mini-Munsters unsold pilot
    This Is Horror (from Stephen King's World of Horror)
    Spookies
    Friday the 13th
    The Evil Dead

hulkyduck, maskull, Rocker10 and 2 others like this.
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

My minor cold turned into a full blown cold, so I really didn't watch too much last night. Went to bed a little after midnight, so my October went out with a whimper. Still had fun though, and my final film for the month was... interesting, to say the least.

October 31st:

CHILDREN OF THE CORN.JPG

Children Of The Corn: Genesis (2011) (DVR / AMC) - This is the only Children Of The Corn movie I had never seen, so I figured I should see it just to wrap up the series. It might be the worst one, although that SyFy remake was pretty bad too. Still, it was watchable I guess? There really isn't much in the way of children or corn in this one. It's about a couple who wind up stranded in a house with Billy Drago for the entire movie. Then at the very end, when they finally leave the house, there's a gigantic car accident that I'm 90% sure is just footage lifted out of Bad Boys II. This was obviously made quickly and cheaply in order for Dimension to keep the rights. So yeah, I've sat through all ten movies now. Go with the original or IV: The Gathering if you're looking for the good ones.

AHS.JPG

American Horror Story: Apocalypse Episode 8 "Sojourn" (DVR / FX) - This episode was complete filler, but I will say it was more fun than the more Coven heavy episodes. Billy Eichner and Evan Peters as the two satanic techies were hilarious, and I also thought Sandra Bernhard was great. Still, it was an entire episode of backpedaling to minor details we don't need to know. There's only two episodes left in the season, and I suspect they're going back to the Coven garbage on overtime.

SCARED STIFF.JPG

Scared Stiff (1987) (VHS) - I thought it'd be fun to go out on an obscure oddity, and this was definitely that. Andrew Stevens and Mary Page Keller play a couple who move into an old mansion haunted by an evil former slave owner. There are dead bodies in a trunk in the attic, a dead handyman hanging from a tree, toy cars that come to life on their own, a dead girl in the fountain, and a probably racist lamp that becomes gigantic and terrorizes people. Also, there's a pretty cool gore gag where a mental patient unzips his scalp to expose his brain. Not to mention the kinky shower scene with a possessed Andrew Stevens. Oh, and Mary Page Keller plays a famous singer, so we get random scenes of her performing on a gigantic set that looks like the Celine Dion "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" music video. My favorite part was when Mary Page Keller and her son are trying to flee the house and get away from the possessed Andrew Stevens, and the kid is like "wait, I have to go back! I forgot my racist lamp!" Who the fuck carries a lamp around with them? This is not a good movie, but it's pretty funny if you're in the right mindset. From the director of Doom Asylum and Phantom Of The Mall: Eric's Revenge.

Final Tally:
    1.) Feral (2017)
    2.) You Might Be The Killer (2018)
    3.) No Escape Room (2018)
    4.) Hell Fest (2018)
    5.) The Witch Files (2018)
    6.) Hold The Dark (2018)
    7.) Creeped Out Episodes 1 & 2 "Marti" & "Slapstick"
    8.) American Horror Story: Apocalypse Episodes 4 & 5 "Could It Be... Satan?" & "Boy Wonder"
    9.) Tales From The Hood 2 (2018)
    10.) The Mummy An' The Armadillo (2004)
    11.) The Walking Dead Season 9 "A New Beginning"
    12.) Creeped Out Episodes 3 & 4 "Kindlesticks" & "Bravery Badge"
    13.) Bram Stoker's Shadowbuilder (1998)
    14.) The Body (2018)
    15.) The Purge Episodes 5 & 6 "Rise Up" & "The Forgotten"
    16.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 1 & 2 "Steven Sees A Ghost" & "Open Casket"
    17.) Slash (2002)
    18.) Light As A Feather Episodes 1 - 3 "Stiff As A Board" & "Pretty As A Picture" & "Dead As A Doornail"
    19.) Creeped Out Episodes 5 & 6 "Cat Food" & "Trolled"
    20.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 3 & 4 "Touch" & "The Twin Thing"
    21.) Knuckleball (2018)
    22.) Light As A Feather Episodes 4 – 7 "Dark As The Night" & "Mad As A Hatter" & "Troubled As The Tide" & "Right As Rain"
    23.) Cucuy: The Boogeyman (2018)
    24.) Creeped Out Episodes 7 & 8 "Shed No Fear" & "The Call"
    25.) Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (2018)
    26.) Bad Times At The El Royale (2018)
    27.) You Episodes 4 - 6 "The Captain" & "Living With The Enemy" & "Amour Fou"
    28.) The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 2 "The Bridge"
    29.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 5 & 6 "The Bent-Neck Lady" & "Two Storms"
    30.) Malevolence (2003)
    31.) Light As A Feather Episodes 8 - 10 "Cold As Ice" & "Innocent As A Lamb" & "Slippery As An Eel"
    32.) Eli Roth’s History Of Horror Episode 1 "Zombies"
    33.) I Still See You (2018)
    34.) The Roost (2005)
    35.) Malevolence 2: Bereavement Director’s Cut (2010)
    36.) He’s Out There (2018)
    37.) Karma (2018)
    38.) Sleep No More (2018)
    39.) Extremity (2018)
    40.) Malevolence 3: Killer (2018)
    41.) Jack-O (1995)
    42.) American Horror Story: Apocalypse Episode 6 "Return To Murder House"
    43.) The Purge Episode 7 "Lovely Dark And Deep"
    44.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 7 & 8 "Eulogy” & “Witness Marks"
    45.) Halloween (1978)
    46.) Miss Leslie’s Dolls (1973)
    47.) Halloween (2018)
    48.) Halloween (2018)
    49.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 9 & 10 "Screaming Meemies" & "Silence Lay Steadily"
    50.) The Babysitter (2017)
    51.) All Hallows' Eve 2 (2015)
    52.) Killer High (2018)
    53.) Creeped Out Episodes 9 & 10 "A Boy Called Red" and "Spaceman"
    54.) Mr Mercedes Season Two Episodes 6 & 7 "Proximity" & "Fell On Black Days"
    55.) The Simpsons Treehouse Of Horror XXIX
    56.) Blood Harvest (1987)
    57.) American Nightmare (2002)
    58.) You Episode 7 "Everythingship"
    59.) The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 3 "Warning Signs"
    60.) Eli Roth’s History Of Horror Episode 2 "Slashers (Part 1)"
    61.) Mr. Mercedes Season 2 Episodes 8 & 9 "Nobody Puts Brady In A Crestmore" & "Walk Like A Man"
    62.) Def By Temptation (1990)
    63.) HauntedWeen (1991)
    64.) Haunted Episodes 1 & 2 "The Woman In White" & "The Slaughterhouse"
    65.) Eli Roth's History Of Horror Episode 3 "Slashers (Part 2)"
    66.) Channel Zero: Butcher's Block Episodes 1 - 3 "Insidious Onset" & "Father Time" & "All You Ghost Mice"
    67.) House aka Hausu (1977)
    68.) Haunted Episode 3 & 4 "Demon In The Dark" & "Children Of The Well"
    69.) The Goldbergs "Mister Knifey-Hands"
    70.) Mr. Boogedy (1986)
    71.) Bride Of Boogedy (1987)
    72.) American Horror Story: Apocalypse Episode 7 "Traitor"
    73.) Haunted Episodes 5 & 6 "Alien Infection" & "Stolen Gravestone"
    74.) Riverdale Season Three Chapters Thiry-Six - Thirty-Eight "Labor Day" & "Fortune And Men’s Eyes" & "As Above, So Below"
    75.) Mr. Mercedes Season Two Episode 10 "Fade To Blue"
    76.) Trick Or Treat (1986)
    77.) The Hazing (2004)
    78.) Creeped Out Episodes 11 - 13 "The Traveller" & "Side Show (Part 1 & 2)"
    79.) The Halloween Tree (1993)
    80.) What The Waters Left Behind (2017)
    81.) The Witch In The Window (2018)
    82.) Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina Chapters 1 - 6 "October Country" & "The Dark Baptism" & "The Trial Of Sabrina Spellman" & "Witch Academy" & "Dreams In A Witch House" & "An Exorcism In Greendale"
    83.) Dead In The Water (2018)
    84.) The Guilty (2018)
    85.) Lightning Bug (2004)
    86.) You Episode 8 "You Got Me, Babe"
    87.) Boltneck (2000)
    88.) The Uninvited (1944)
    89.) The Nanny (2018)
    90.) ArieScope Halloween Shorts (1998 - 2009)
    91.) Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina Chapter 7 - 10 "Feast Of Feasts" & "The Burial" & "The Returned Man" & "The Witching Hour"
    92.) The Curious Creations Of Christine McConnell Episodes 1 & 2 "Snacks For Strays" & "Gifts For Nosy Neighbors"
    93.) 9-1-1 "Haunted"
    94.) The Conners "There Won't Be Blood"
    95.) Terrified aka Aterrados (2017)
    96.) The Legend Of Halloween Jack (2018)
    97.) ArieScope Halloween Shorts (2010 - 2018)
    98.) Eli Roth's History Of Horror Episode 4 "The Demons Inside"
    99.) Malevolent (2018)
    100.) Children Of The Corn: Genesis (2011)
    101.) American Horror Story: Apocalypse Episode 8 "Sojourn"
    102.) Scared Stiff (1987)

The highlights would be SyFy's wildly outrageous Killer High and seeing a brand new Halloween movie on the big screen (twice in the same day, in fact!). My favorite re-visits this year were Malevolence, Lightning Bug, and The Babysitter.

HIGHLIGHTS.JPG

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! :)

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG][​IMG]
    34 10/25 Frankenstein 1970 (1958)
    It's late in October so it's time to get into the Universals and what better way to kick them off than with this Allied Artists release ten years later... Wha?!? Staring Boris Karloff as the man himself Dr. Frankenstein for the first but certainly not the last time. Our geriatric practitioner is taking on the teenage Frankenhoodlums that have been hitting the theaters for over a year and Peter Cushing's debut as the good Dr. prior with a plot best described as Frankenstein VS. Hollywood as he picks off casts and crew members invading his castle to shoot a Frankenfeature. But Karloff's well placed here with lots of juicy dialog to wring his hands over and a marvelous narrative he gets to deliver in one single tracking in the Frankenstein crypt. While one can always argue that it's better when we see less of the monsters in pictures it can't be argued the same for their mad creators as Karloff has more screen time in this film than perhaps any other. It's a fitting plot with Frankenstein enacting his revenge and picking over the bones of our dwindling crew to form his creation. A mostly forgotten film but one of Karloff's best performances with good production values.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    35 10/25 House of Frankenstein (1944)
    And so begins our slate of Universals and I like to build towards the original films by watching them in reverse order; unless I play more than one in a day then I play that queue in order. Make sense? No? Good. We're up to our neck bolts in monsters at this point with Karloff as the mad scientist (no relation to Frankenstein yet) working on his own revenge plan with brain swaps while being hounded by Lon Chaney Jr. and John Carradine. Why they even cast Lionel Atwill and George Zucco in throw away parts because they ran outta villainous roles! But let's not overlook the faithful companion J. Carrol Nashy as the hunchback; he's a brute, he's an escaped murderer and he's a bit of an idiot but we end up loving him all the same as he becomes the broken wheel of love triangle between Channey (his Dracula vs. Frankenstein co-star) and the perky prospect Elena Verdugo. The narrative is told almost exclusively through his eyes and reminds me a bit of the first play adapted of Frankenstein which for the first time added a hunchback who talked directly to the audience. It seems our good doctor hardly took a second step into the world before he was paired up with a vertically challenged assistant; reports are Mary Shelley gleefully approved and so do I. For where would our Gothic horrors be without them?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    36 10/25 House of Dracula (1945)
    Once again Chaney Jr's back with Carradine in a supporting role (film makers just can't think of anything for Dracula to really do can they?) and even Lionel Atwill makes an appearance. (to die the same way he did in Ghost of Frankenstein. Now they've really pulling from the same well!) And with this house filled with monsters we go one twist more with The Hunchback's mate in Jane Adams. As devoted as ever, our femme hunchback is now the kinder gentler malady who puts her own needs aside to help cure Talbot
    (And gets tossed down the basement steps with a lab explosion above her for her troubles. Seems even nice girls can't escape the Hunchback curse of death in these horror flicks.)
    Onslow Stevens is the break out performance here though as literally the good doctor but that won't last long as Dracula, without much motivation, decides to turn the transfusion tables and inject the doctor with his vile blood. We get some great moments here with our now maniacal doctor delivering one of my favorite scenes on a hayride from hell with great exchanges between the victim and the victimizer that builds up the dread before the final deadly deed. It's an ingenious way to turn a good doctor evil when critics can only say that the series and long run its course. Even in the doctor's vampire fevered nightmares he dreams of fixing his Hunchback only to get his manic hands to grope her newly conformed flesh. Truly one of the more bizarre bits in a series glutenous in body horror. The depictions of the doctor's madness mirror Fritz Lang's montages and with make up fit for Dr. Mabuse this is as German Expressionist as the series ever got after Son of Frankenstein and a fitting homage to wrap up this Golden Age of the Universal Horrors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    37 10/26 Rowing With the Wind ( Remando al viento ) (1988)
    When you're watching Frankenstein adaptations all month what does one watch on Frankenstein Friday? Especially when one's already watched Ken Russel's Gothic not once but TWICE? Why you dig a little deeper and make a double feature out of that lost summer where Mary Shelley first dreamed up her Monster. I first went with Rowing With The Wind because it hit theaters first and was more highly regarded by critics. The first surprise is its star studded cast of the very young Hugh Grant and Elizabeth Hurley. And I'm surprised myself when I say this but Hugh Grant made for an excellent Lord Byron. He could say those caustic words with that tone of voice that made you see the humor and wit of it. As this film spans a few years you watch his Gabriel Byrne made for an imposing figure fit for the straight up horror of Gothic but Grant allows you to better believe . This is a Romance in the original definition which we would describe as a bleak melodrama today. The narrative deals as much with life as it deals with death. Mary Shelley's grapples with the deaths of those most beloved to her and the survivor's guilt she is left with leaves her to envy the dead. They speed up the timeline for the deaths for at least a couple of characters but beyond that it gives a broader picture of what was happening historically for Mary Shelley. An interesting drama with some macabre imagery that I think many would enjoy as such.
    [​IMG]
    Side note that Hurley and Grant first met and fell in love during this film and lived their own bohemian lifestyle together for over fifteen years and never married; life imitating art as it were.

[​IMG]
    38 10/26 Haunted Summer (1988)
    It's hard to be the third runner up when telling the same old story but I feel this one came closer to the truth of what happened over that summer. This film focuses not on one night nor a life time of friendships but instead focuses simply on the long cold summer of 1816 on Lord Byron's Geneva estate. Again we are treated with a studded youthful cast of Laura Dern, Eric Stoltz of all people and Alex "EXCELLENT!" Winter as flop Polidori! I was surprised when Dern proved not to be Shelley but instead her masochistic cousin. The role of Mary went to Alice Krige but she proved enigmatic and beguiling. The kind of portrayal that gave you a woman who could both fire the imaginations and confound them. Although the dialog at times fails her she still gives a stoic performance that overcomes the lacking script. She's not your typical last girl of Gothic or Mary Sue of Rowing With The Wind thus becoming my choice for best performance.
    A story point, not too spoilerish, is when Lord Byron specially acquires one of Henry Fuseli's paintings of Nightmare, who had an affair with Mary Shelley's mother, to unveil it for them. Mary's mother died giving birth to her, and knowing Byron I thought this to be a moment for him to turns the screws on a woman who had turned away his advances. But while it captivated Mary, this fact is never brought up either by Byron or Mary (or Percy).{Before you think too much of me, Google happened to pull up a direct link to my Fuseli post when I was searching Frankenstein 1910's title screen. Pure fate.}
    This film is also more explicit in depicting the Shelleys' incestuous ménage à trois, Bryon and Polidori, and finally Mary and Byron. It's note worthy that all three films show a buck naked Percy Shelley running around but Eric Stoltz goes so far as to show some full frontal nudity. It's interesting that for all three filmmakers the character of Percy is so visually intertwined with this imagery. It's rare to encounter male nudity in a film and for all three to lobby successfully to include it is intriguing.

[​IMG]
    "Finally in a post from X, something for the ladies..." (And some lads!)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00 10/26 Frankenstein (1910)
    My Frankenstein Friday regular programmer has come to be Edison's Frankenstein, the first film adaptation and a fun one at that. It's starts a little slow with one awkward scene where Frankenstein joyfully paces about because he solved "the problem" of life and death. But this scene is notable for Frankenstein's fixation on a skull. In many Frankenstein films the first appearance of The Monster is its bare skull and one can presume this cranium that Frankenstein peers deeply in as a medium's orb is the very skull he later breathes life into. It is therefore the also the first use of that subtle imagery. The leading lady Mary Fuller it turns out came to the same tragic end as Mary Shelley's cousin Claire, historically spurned by Lord Byron in the two above films. Fuller spent the last 25 years of her life in an asylum before dying. The diagnosis? A broken heart. She meet the same end as The Monster; clutching the heart and being spirited away from a cold cruel world.

This is since been released to the public by The Library of Congress so check it out!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/31/18

HALLOWEEN (2018) in theater

[​IMG]

My wife and I called it an early work day and finally went to check out the new Halloween film. For the last two years, we have been seeing most of our theatrical films at Alamo Drafthouse. With two free movie tickets to AMC Theatres, this was an easy choice. This was the first time either of us had gone to a "Dolby Cinema" screening. A fat surcharge on each ticket for a premium auditorium experience meant that these tickets were no longer free. At least it was for horror and something we actually wanted to see.

A pretentious podcast couple specializing in true crime journey to Smith's Grove (upgraded to hospital). After an introduction to psychiatrist Doctor Sartain (Haluk Bilginer), they get to meet his most infamous patient - Michael Myers (Nick Castle, just not in the stunt scenes). Precautions are in place as the duo attempts to get inside his head. With that epic fail behind them, their next target is Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis). Bribe money gets an interview with her at Laurie's paramilitary compound home. She still suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder in the aftermath of Michael Myers' killing spree 40 years ago. Laurie learns that Michael is about to be transferred to a new facility. What on earth could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

We both enjoyed this more than we planned on. Neither of us loved it though. Halloween 2018 does not hold back in the gore department. I thought the story went overboard with Laurie's transition to survivalist/commando. That said, Jamie Lee Curtis delivered a great performance. It's sad how her life turned out and having to deal with all kinds of anxieties even in what should be routine social situations. Daughter and granddaughter frequently see her as a lunatic, but eventually learn she was right on all counts. Didn't like the Doctor Sartain character at all really. Seemed like the actor tried to channel the quirks of Loomis, but emulating Donald Pleasence is a mistake.

Fun to see this on the actual holiday. Our first "Dolby Cinema" experience was very different. The theater was gigantic, seats incredibly comfortable, and the audio aspect was frequently bombastic. Time will tell how Halloween 2018 holds up. We don't however buy into the "greatest series sequel ever" propaganda. Just because something is newer and competently made, doesn't mean the older sequels should be dismissed in any way. I will always hold the first three Halloween films in extra special regard.

WNUF HALLOWEEN SPECIAL (2013)

[​IMG]

Had this one sitting around for the better part of a year. Watched it for the first time last night and did so while neighborhood kids came trick or treating. In this alternate reality throwback to 10/31/87, we get: a news broadcast, lots of commercials, and a holiday special inside a haunted house that no one has entered for 20 years.

Lots of fun to be shared here. Many of the regional commercials come across as though they could have been aired back then. There is a lot of funny "satanic panic" propaganda, which was all the rage in the 80's. At one point we see some allegedly satanic graffiti on a wall where someone spelled it "SATIN." The host at the haunted house is very much a smartass and there is even a portion where viewers can call in during a séance. One such caller proclaims his love of Iron Maiden and bashes wimpy glam band White Lion.

Replay will be extremely limited outside of October. The WNUF Halloween Special is a cool experience, especially for those of us who remember what it was like circa 1987.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

31st - October Madness No.49 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 31 - IN THE GRAVEYARD: The graveyard seems a fitting place to end a journey. But for some it might just be the beginning... ZOMBIES!!!
    [​IMG]

La noche del terror ciego (Tombs of the Blind Dead) (1971) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5
    Amando de Ossorio's Tombs of the Blind Dead is chock full of atmosphere and dread. While the first half of the film does indeed drag and takes the film down a notch, the second half at least makes up for it by cramming in lots of slow-mo Blind Dead action amongst the numerous odd characters, like the decorator and mannequin maker who are looking for their dead friend, to the smuggler and his prostitute girlfriend, to the bizarre mortician and the sexist morgue assistants, there's plenty of colourful characters that balance out the quiet, slow motion dread the undead Knights Templar deliver. It's a bizarre mish-mash of atmosphere and exploitation that just works, and features an unforgettably bleak ending.

31st - October Madness No.50
    [​IMG]
    Prince of Darkness (1987) Rewatch - Rating: 4/5
    John Carpenter's tale of science and theology combining to figure out an unholy terror is one of my favourite Carpenter films, filled with a wonderfully foreboding sense of unease and diabolical horror. Beautiful anamorphic compositions, to interesting set and prop design, to a cast of unlikely normal individuals populate this movie and give it a unique tone. As others have already mentioned (and seemed like a lot of us coincidentally watched both this and my next and final film of October Madness on Halloween night) this movie grows on me more and more, and I appreciate it more and more with each rewatch.

31st - October Madness No.51
    [​IMG]
    WNUF Halloween Special (2013) Rewatch - Rating: 4/5
    This hard-to-describe-other-than-pure-nostalgia throwback to community television news and Halloween specials is a wonderfully absurd, hilarious, and perfectly assembled package of tricks and treats. While clearly everyone loves the commercials in between, the cast playing the news team investigating the "haunted" house absolutely nail their roles and add a credibility that makes this semi-parody a Halloween time favourite. If you've never seen this one, add it to your queue next Halloween night!

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG][​IMG]
    39 10/27 Svengoolie Presents, Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
    I'm viewing this a little out of order from the Universal canon but that's simply because Svengoolie was going to show it close anyways. Sven originally broadcast this on Bela Lugosi's birthday so I was a little disappointed that he didn't mention that fact during the mail bag (the only newly recorded footage). No matter this is still a fun one with Lugosi and he gets to show off a lot more of his hand work here not only when hypnotizing Costello but also you get to see his fine finger work while he zaps The Monster's bolts some zips from his ring in close-up. It's some nice work that I think prop fondler Peter Cushing would be envious of. I think Lugosi really did improve his technique over the years touring as Dracula in doing the play. There's some compelling evidence that Dave Fleischer of Popeye and Betty Boop fame may have actually oversen the animation for the opening credits. He was known to advise Universal on projects at the time. In the back of my mind I suspected such a thing possible as the animation is very rubber band in style which was long on the way out by 1948 but something the Fleischers were well known for. I didn't suspect a Fleischer directly but certainly an old cartoonist's hand. However did it it's beautiful work. This is a great monster mash up that I almost screen at my Halloween party when selecting a Lugosi title. It's got everything going for it and can entertain modern audiences today. While there was a Vincent Price marathon on Halloween I'm sad to say Vincent Price's cameo at the end is the only (non)appearance he made this October on my screen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    40 10/27 Svengoolie Presents, 13 Ghosts (1960)
    Svengoolie's episode before Halloween so he always has a Happy Halloween send off I like to catch so I made the time on this evening to watch the night broadcast.
    You know I like a lot of William Castle films... I like a lot of dopey horror films... This one's a bit too hokey even for me. Ghosts are almost literally outta Scooby Doo with cartoonish affectations and at times literally paper skeletons on strings! With any kind of Hollywood budget you can do better than that. There are z-grade horror films that regularly do better than that. Sure it may be for kids but even kid horror films do better than that. And it's tough to sell as a kid's film when the majority of it is a stuffy old professor wandering around. I have a hard time believing any kid would walk outta that and not feel gypt. Margaret Hamilton was a treat, if a little under utilized. Sorry boys, no cheese cake photos of her on the net. (hey, they were all young once!) I do have to say I was surprised to learn Ouija board's name comes from the French 'Yes' and the Germany 'Yes.' As much as I've heard about Ouija and it's origins I don't think I ever heard that. So kudos to Castle for teaching me a thing or two! With ALL that said... I'm still tempted to pickup the Indicator box set with four count 'em FOUR versions of the film; straight B&W, Illusion-O, Ghosts Illusion-O red, No-Ghosts Illusion-O blue. I've actually got the original DVD with a pair of glasses. I'll probably catch this next Saturday morning during the UPN replay so maybe I'll make my final decision now that I know what to expect and can re-calibrate my expectations.

[​IMG]
    "And your li'l dog too!"

[​IMG][​IMG]
    41 10/28 Howl of the Devil ( El aullido del diablo ) (1987)
    I was cleaning up when my VHS bootleg of this caught my eye. I checked and it hasn't made it to home video in ages to I figured now's the time to give it an unspooling. Written and Directed by Paul Nashy this is his most lovingly transcribed tribute to classic horror films by a bygone era. Paul Naschy plays the brother of a dead Horror Movie star; a traditional stage actor he is jealous of his brother's schlocky fame and takes that sibling rivalry out on his nephew played by Paul Naschy's real son. Naturally this boy takes all his unwarranted punishments and channels it into manifestations of his dead father's cinematic creations to play with. The first of which we see is Paul Naschy made up as Frankenstein's Monster. It's a traditional make-up with a flat top, greenish face paint (we now know Karloff was a corpse white with blue tint) and black suite. Throughout the film we see Naschy play all the monsters from Mr. Hyde, The Phantom, The Hunchback and of course The Wolf Man who's still Waldemar Daninsky although he makes sure to give a shout out to Lon Chaney Jr's portrayal. And if that weren't enough Paul Naschy also dresses up the still living brother as historical horrors like Rasputin, Blue Beard and Fu Manchu (OK he's not so historical). It seems envying his brother's monster roles has dovetailed into his own sex life causing him to only get arousal out of role playing but with more refined classical tastes; while typing up and sadistically raping unsuspecting women. One of whom is Caroline Munro, who gets the nurturing role of a house keeper who wants to stay and help the poor neglected nephew while spurning off Naschy's advances; all while holding off the local's drunk's slut shamming and the possessiveness of her ex-boyfriend the local priest! Girl just can catch a break. Did I mention Howard Vernon? He's in there too as a practicing warlock. Oh and this is all happening while a maniac slashes his way through every woman who trots through the joint (and there's a lot of'em). A fun film that I've barely scratched the surface of just trying to sum up its plot! I hope we see a HD transfer soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    42 10/29 The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)
    Produced by the director of the previous year's The Wolf Man, George Waggner, who put his ensemble of Lon Chaney Jr., Evelyn Ankers and even Ralph Bellamy to work in what amounts to a 40's reboot of the Frankenstein era. While Lionel Atwill and Bela Lugosi remain, with even a brief appearance by a straight laced Dwight Frye, gone is the artistic flair of the unreal world created by James Whales. Now we get a more modern European village with clearer skies, fuller trees and few less stark shadows. And other moments like The Monster shambling after struck trees hoping to get struct himself is played for straight laughs lacking that morbid touch the black humor of this series had reveled in. Chaney, once praised for his role as Lenny in Mice and Men and excellent in other similar roles, can't quite seem to make his character work the way it needs to. Even Lugosi isn't really feeling it here with a rather low key performance of his previously bombastic blacksmith (although perhaps a few of those bullets as still churning in his stomach from Son of Frank and that's causing his lack of enthusiasm). The titular Ghost of Frankenstein also takes on the odd appearance of a miniature Cedric Hardwicke as his own father (when we clearly see Colin Clive in flashbacks) haunting his own lab equipment. An interesting idea that just isn't executed very well. We also get the final misstep of Ygor's brain in The Monster's body which proved a costly flaw to be rectified. A bland entry in the series that gives us the actors we want but the narrative we don't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    43 10/29 Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)
    Like The Monster himself, sometimes a film is more than its individual parts, and this mess of a film comes together with many of the same parts and pieces of Ghost with Lon Chaney Jr. back this time as The Wolf Man himself and paired with his remaining werewolf co-stars Maria Ouspenskaya and even Patric Knowles. Back as well is Lionel Atwill and for the final time Dwight Frye. Producer George Waggner must have thought better of his decisions in Ghost because we begin with one of the strongest Gothic sequences of Universal's canon when two shaky grave robbers pillage the Talbot tomb only to wake the dead! It's got great atmosphere and is a great starting off point. I like to show this film to friends who want to take the next step into Universal's lore. It's got some great payoffs that can draw in new fans while holding a few a few key moments that still bemuse old fans like myself.
    One of these moments is the fact that Talbot taking a spooky interest in the bar girl, who he stares at the entire time as Maleva questions the bar owner. That night she is killed by the werewolf. Did he see a foreboding pentagram on her? It goes unmentioned but once you realize it this after a few viewings it makes this somewhat functionary scene more compelling. I also have to admit my own thick head when all these years I took Talbot's crack on the forehead as something that happened to him while bouncing around the night before as The Wolf Man. But I just realized now that this is from the killing blow delivered by his father at the climax of The Wolf Man. And that Ilona Massey is continuing in Evelyn Ankers' role which is more fitting with her Germanic accent. I assumed she was Colin Clive's third child! It helps to finally watch these all in order doesn't it?
    I always get a great bemusement at Talbot's suffering during the villiager's gay song and his personally twisted interpretation of their song. This is that great black humor Ghost sorely missed and unfortunately rarely seen again in the House sequels. While it made sense to cast Lugosi finally as The Monster it proved difficult for the aged actor. Much of this film was re-worked to remove Lugosi's dialog which may or may not have been delivered in Ygor's voice. What little we know doesn't say, but simply that his performance was laughable making the Ygor voice more probable. And much more of the The Monster's scenes had to be filled by stunt men. I suspect his first appearance was even re-shot with an entirely different stunt man from the rest of the shoot because Lugosi talked too much in the original footage. Still this all comes together and is one of my absolute favorites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00 10/30 I Dream of Jeannie: "My Master, the Ghostbreaker"(1968)
    I took an earlier lunch than usual and this happened to be on. I'm a bit of a fan of the show and this is an entertaining episode because it's just a down and dirty TV classic where the lead character inherits an ancestor's haunted mansion from across the pond. I think studio just kept a haunted set around and made every TV show use it at least once in their cycle. Barbara Eden does a good frightened routine but this mostly out of the picture as Larry Hagman and Bill Daily stumble about the house as mere mortals. Hagman was a great physical comedian and it's surprising as his later stint on Dallas made him more well known as a dramatic actor. While Eden's harem costume constantly calling Hagman "Master" makes it easy to believe this was a sexist show I've found the humor to be based almost entirely on a mutual respect and understanding that was much more healthy than Bewitched and much more in sync with the reality of modern times (for a show about a genie). Jeannie is never told to hold back because there's something wrong with magic, instead Hagman wants to scientifically get to the moon. And she's never asked to give up her magic. She's allowed to pretty much do what she wants so long as NASA doesn't catch on. I mean it's a show and from the 60's so there some allowances for that. But overall a funny show that does manage to challenge our understanding of gender here and there. [More about Bewitched later.]

[​IMG]

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Ok, so the only thing harder than finishing a movie in a single sitting this October, has been finding the time to do a little write-up here. But alas, the month has drawn to a close. So here is a summary of the last handful of films I watched leading up to Halloween:

19. Seven Women for Satan (Michel Lemoine, 1976)

[​IMG]

Nubile young woman is approached, romanced, seduced, then murdered by local French aristocrat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Not much of a..."movie" per se. But it has some nice bits, including a random final jolt of an ending. And...y'know...all the pretty naked ladies weren't so bad.

20. Jennifer (Brice Mack, 1978)

[​IMG]

I don't know why I waited so long to watch this, but it turned out to be great! Although she's way more assertive than Carrie White ever was, the comparison is valid - the characters are so likeable/unlikeable that you can't help but get invested, and then at the end everybody gets theirs (and then some). Although the special effects at the end are a little weak, their heart is in the right place, and it ends up being a really satisfying movie.

21. Near Dark (Kathryn Bigelow, 1987)

[​IMG]

Looking for horror movies we could watch with our daughter (criteria: relatively lighthearted, no sexualized nudity), I decided to give this a try. She was fairly interested for the first little bit, covering her eyes when May bites Caleb in the truck, but kind of lost interest after that. Maybe for the best, since it does get pretty violent, but at it's heart this is much more of an action movie than a horror movie. No criticism there, but I can't help but feel like this is a movie that comes really close to being great but can't quite manage it. I'm not sure why. I've seen it half a dozen times, and enjoyed it, but rarely have the urge to revisit it. Maybe if it were a bit longer, if the stakes were raised a little bit, if Caleb descended further into their world...I dunno.

22. White Zombie (Victor Halperin, 1932)

[​IMG]

This was a first time viewing for me. It's fairly standard low budget horror for that era, not on the same level as the Universal Horrors to be sure, but entertaining nonetheless. There are some great composite matte paintings used (or rather - one that is used a few times), as well as some surprisingly dark and grisly scenes (the zombie falling in the sugar cane mulcher while his fellow workers just continue to churn away is definitely pre-code, as is the scene of Madge Bellamy in her underwear). Bela is great, and seeing him in a tightly fitted suit made me realize just how lean he was. Considering he was 50 when this was made, I imagine he was quite the impressive specimen a couple of decades earlier. Pity how his life turned out.

23. The Man Who Haunted Himself (Basil Dearden, 1970)

[​IMG]

Moore's last role before taking on Bond. It's described as a creepy thriller on the back, and that's fairly accurate, although it reminds me of nothing quite so much as a Twilight Zone episode extended out to 90 minutes. But for what it is, it works really well. Moore is great (he even makes a little joke about James Bond which had me wondering if they knew which way he was going when they filmed it) and the movie does a great job of prolonging the "is he insane or is this all really happening?" angle.

24. Prince of Darkness (John Carpenter, 1987)

[​IMG]

I love this movie. I watched it last Halloween, and knew right from the start of the month that I would watch it again this year. Such a great, great, great movie. Love everything about it. 10/10.

Happy Halloween, everybody!

12. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to come back in and read the last of the write ups for this season. Good stuff all. As usual, the write ups were informative and well done. I looked at wanting to check out new stuff like always early on, but wasn't finding much. I ended up spending quite a bit more than expected, but that's okay. I reserve that right every year.

Going to try to change a few things about my routine including trying to interact a little more year round. I've been around for a very long time now, but didn't really post much until I bumped into these threads every October. The forums are very informative and I typically find quite a bit of stuff through the year. If I'm curious about certain titles that I am unfamiliar with, this is the place I come because you guys really got it together in the horror knowledge department. kudos to all!

I've also decided to not get so caught up in holding off on watching stuff through the year. I said that last year as well and watched a few more during the year, but still found myself holding off. October is a bit tougher to really delve into the features after watching the movie due to the whole 'binge' thing. I'm going to start enjoying these sets more as there is a lot of work put into them.

It's been fun everyone, thanks for being involved and making this a success once again!

~Rocker10

13. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

The season of the witch draws to a close, and while this final batch isn't the best, putting 33 disks in the watched column puts a minor dent on an unwatched pile that damn well may outlive me.

Ratings are out of ****.

10/30/18 - The Ghoul (2016) ***
    A police detective investigating an odd double murder turns to the suspect's therapists and loses himself.

There just isn't enough to the film's twist premise to justify feature length, it would have worked far better as an episode of a TV anthology. It doesn't help the shift in the main character's identity is far too early and definitive, becoming rather than pretending to be the clinically depressed, unrequited love obsessed loser soon after the opening scene wraps. This spoils the films core requirement of sustained doubt of what is real and who is who. But the intriguing concept with solid acting and clever execution is notable, making me grudgingly rate this film better than it probably deserves.

10/31/18 - The Devils (1971) **1/2
    A priest's authority protects a 17th century towns populace from religious persecution, and covers for his habitual debauching of the town's women.

Pure artsy absurdity, pretentious stream of consciousness that the 70s was ridiculed for spewing out. On display is a king's court in drag, a masturbating hunchbacked mother superior, a convent of lust driven naked nuns, spinning corpse wheels on poles, a completely bonkers crow hunt. And dozens of scenes that feel like director Russell (much later behind the impressive The Lair of the White Worm) was barely resisting an urge to add a musical number to. Factual my arse was the first response when the credits rolled and I thought back to the film's opening text. Whatever basis in fact, along with the commentaries on church and state, is buried under bombastic film making excess.

Oliver Reed provides the most perplexing riddle, that of how someone who consistently produced such charismatic, powerful, and riveting performances kept signing up for bong smoke roles like this. Vanessa Redgrave and a few notable others similarly provide stellar performances far better than the production deserved. Apart from them, for me the film's sole merit is as an experience in visual extravagance. And in that it does indeed excel.

Pet (2016) ***
    A loner veterinary assistant sets his sights on a young waitress to be his pet.

A flip on the head of the usual kidnapping psycho play. The stalking is inherently creepy but fascinatingly portrayed in the same disciplined, methodical manner of a police detective show. The villain gives off an odd introvert vibe, but as everyone he interacts with are self-absorbed douche bags it's dangerously easy to feel justification for his actions. And his brainy, provoking dialog with his victim is not the usual caged damsel interaction. Who is in control, who is the real psycho is thrown into doubt and finally flipped over the top.

Some choice bits of gore are served up, quite literally to the dogs. The pacing is brisk and the acting solid, a welcome surprise for films of this type. But the film's adept gymnastics tumbles on the landing, providing a weak and derivative wrap for the clever genre deconstruction. The rating is more out of respect for the later.

14. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Channel Zero Dream Door Episodes 5 & 6 Ending -

Dream Door.jpg

I forgot to post this in my earlier Dream Door review but there is a scene in the fourth episode I believe with a werewolf cat! And yes it exists. I'm already set on a breed of cat that I want to get. But if I didn't I would get one of these.

Lykoi Werewolf Cat.jpg

Channel Zero is an odd series. As I've mentioned before all of the previous seasons kind of lose interest for me after the second or third episodes. I think I know why now. The show is a bit more psychological horror compared to slasher horror. Or at least they don't get the balance as well as a movie like Nightmare on Elm Street. But I think the slasher element of Dream Door is why I like those early episodes so much and why it's the best of the series.

However the last episode was where the show tried to lose me. They had to resolve everything and it just wasn't as good as those early episodes. I think some stuff or elements might even tie into one of the older seasons. I would look it up but I have little interest in revisiting those older seasons. As it stands, I still like Dream Door and if it's on sale one day I might get it for my collection since 75% or so is really good and creepy.

Halloween Finale Thoughts -

Once again I didn't watch that many movies on my list. I watched bits of October favorites like I usually do. The movies I'll probably always watch like Halloween 1 , 2, and 3. Also The Thing and I actually watched some of the remake again. I still don't like it that much except for the performance of some of the actors. I'll manage my time better next year. I think I need to get my movies setup before October and ready for each day. No searching for pumpkin beer during October but getting it early in September. Have everything set and ready to go. I didn't even create my October items topic either. But since I didn't get to those, I'll have them for next year as well.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG][​IMG]
    44 10/30 Halloween (2018) [theater]
    The ticket girl told me it had a lot of good jump scares which I hadn't heard so I was intrigued to see. There wasn't really, but that's OK as that's not my focus. Production wise I really liked it. There was some great use of tracking shots throughout the Trick 'r Treating and...
    The set down on the porch to let it all play out was great. They must have used CGI for the end but it looked great. They used it more for shock than to show off. And the motion light was a well done moment too. It lights up again as he finally moved in for the kill and I think that captured that moment well. I liked that he killed a kid. That whole sequence at the bus crash had more tension than any other scene of the movie as with those nuts running around anything could happen; wouldn't even need to be Myers.

It's mostly the script that needed work. We get some bland teenage melodrama with no real payoffs. I had the inkling that it would have been great to see Laurie literally track him down on his own hunting grounds of a neighborhood on Halloween night. Would have made some great set pieces. She could have failed and eventually ended back at her survivalist house, that I don't mind, but she really didn't seem all that prepared after all. It seemed too convenient that all thread Strode women survived. If Laurie died, even just after finally killing Myers, from her wounds that would have worked. But I feel like Laurie's daughter probably should have been the one to die saving her teenage daughter. Maybe even teaching Laurie real sacrifice and the meaning of living a full life. Instead the jackass father unceremoniously dies and nobody cares.

The opening credits with the re-composing pumpkin was a brilliant idea. And like with Trick 'r Treat it's funny that Jamie Lee Curtis had John Carpenter like hair. Is this a fashion trend that's catching on?

I also don't like it when people are killed off screen. Sometimes it works like in the garage (they're nobodies) to slowly reveal to the other character Myers is there, but build up the babysitter's boyfriend, have him man up to help his gal, and then not show it? What does that do? If anything it just cuts the tension because at least he's not going to jump out still alive and say, "Don't shoot!" (which they already used earlier).

And what was with the teeth Myer carried around and then spilled over the door? That didn't feel like Myers to me. Well maybe Zombie's Myers. But I don't watch Halloween enough to write a psychological profile of the man.

I didn't mind the psychiatrist going nuts. I could tell early on that he's not really working in Meyer's best interest by encouraging the bloggers to taunt him with the original mask. His focus on Meyer's speaking is I think an interesting fixation. Not seeing the forest through the trees kind of thing. His actions speak louder than words after all. Also helps explain what happened on the bus as the Doctor was probably lying about that.

My main complaint is that only one baby sitter bought it. More moms were killed and one of them seemed to be simply so he could get his favorite kind of knife from her kitchen. Which is fine individually but killing baby sitters is his thing right? Killing baby sitters like his sister?

Overall I enjoyed it. Much like the new Puppet Master is was just great that it wasn't totally stupid. I know it's sad that this is what it's come to these days. But hey, baby steps. Maybe that means over then next few years we'll like new movies because they're just plain good! Can you imagine?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    00 10/30 Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: "A Halloween Story" (1996)
    Cozi TV had a Sabrina marathon the night before Halloween... So All Hollow's Eve's Eve? Before switching over to their Bewitched marathon all day Halloween. I must have caught it early because this is the first Halloween special the series did. It's Episode 5 of the series and a good spot for them to have a theme of hiding her witchcraft heritage until a few witchy mishaps at her Halloween party are interpreted by her friends as gags. So one night a year she's able to let loose and do some public displays of magic. It's funny that 10,000 Maniacs is the featured band because they seem an ironic band name for a alternative group. I have to think the producers looked at a list of pop bands who were hot and available at that moment and said "10,000 Maniacs of course!" But then again it was the perfect match for this show format so they're probably smarter than I give these producers credit for.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00 10/30 Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: "Good Will Haunting" (1998)
    The wrap around on this one is great with Salem giving a Horror host introduction that makes me wish they really did a host show with him! This episode has everything, a creepy doll, an insane asylum where the inmates have taken over, and The Frankenstein Monster shows up with his friends The Mummy and The Wolf Man. A bit of a tore de force performance for Salem as his antics with the creepy doll always gave me a good laugh. Another good episode and even got The Monster for my Frankentheme in too!

[​IMG]
    "Sorry about your face." "That's OK, have a Kit Kat."
    00 10/30 Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: "The Halloween Scene" (2000)
    Sabrina's in college by this season and moved out but she gets homesick around the holiday and comes come for Halloween like it's Christmas. But her aunts had other plans so Sabrina makes plans of her own and throws another Halloween party this time renting The Frankenstein Monster and his friends (instead of their previous malicious appearance). But The Monster's getting along a little too well with Sabrina's room mate and she has to help Frankie patch things up with The Bride in order to get him back home and get back her deposit. Directed by Melissa Joan Hart herself I wasn't expecting much because it's getting late in the series but I still found this to be an entertaining episode that's some more goofy fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    45 10/30 Son of Frankenstein (1939)
    I watched the new extended cut now available in the US on Blu-ray and a few small moments seemed new to me, not much but kinda cool. But I'm use to Svengoolie cutting this down to broadcast length so it's hard for me to say with certainty everything new. But I think they did and some more with Josephine Hutchinson's character and showed more of how miserable she was in that house.

A few weeks ago I happened upon a Documentary about 1939 which I've well know to be consider as Hollywood's Golden Year with Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind and even The Hunchback of Notre Dame in theaters. But it never occurred to me that Son of Frankenstein was released that year too. And it shows as a rival to the James Whales films it holds up marvelously even today and I suspect it to be overlooked simply because it's the third film of a series entitled "Son of." What's best of all in this film is that every actor is giving it their all in some of their most iconic performances. Boris Karloff is back to form with the mute brute stumbling his way through a strange world. He remains child like but has gained a murderous wit undoubtedly from Ygor. An underrated performance that I think best his previous turns. Bela Lugosi has what many call his best performance as old Ygor and is nearly unrecognizable when his accent and mannerisms have him tight cast as Dracula for years to come. Basil Rathbone is is most manic ever with a level of control that makes us believe him to be Colin Clive's son. But it is Lionel Atwill who has what is undoubtedly the role that he will done in film history for. He works his real arm as a wooden appendage so skillfully few would even think that was a real arm. And he plays the straight man to Rathbone's ravings and still manages to steal every scene he's in. It's not a role that immediately comes to mind as great potential but that shows what a truly great actor he was.

[​IMG]
    One of my favorite subtle moments is with Josephine Hutchinson when they first goes up stairs and asks the nurse maid to wait she doesn't want to get lost. She goes up stairs and in the next shot you see in the background she goes the wrong way further up, and then moments later in the next shot comes back down and goes down the right way. LOL!

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    [ 44x 2007 | 56x 2008 | 63x 2009 | 33x 2010 | 42x 2011 | 77x 2012 | 47x 2013 | 47x 2014 | 56x 2015 | 48x 2016 | 43x 2017 ]

01 10/01 Vampira Presents, The Thirteenth Guest (1932)
    00 10/01 The Venture Bros.: A Very Venture Halloween (2012) [commentary w/ Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer]
    02 10/01 Death Becomes Her (1992) [theater]
    03 10/01 The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
    04 10/02 The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
    05 10/03 Mystery Science Theater 3000 Presents, Being From Another Planet ( Time Walker ) (1982)
    06 10/03 Gothic (1986)
    07 10/04 The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
    08 10/05 Frankenstein's Bloody Terror ( La Marca del Hombre-lobo ) (1968)
    09 10/06 Svengoolie Presents, The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)
    10 10/06 Night of the Living Dead (1990) [Workprint]
    11 10/06 Dracula vs. Frankenstein ( Los Monstruos del terror ) (1970)
    00 10/07
    12 10/08 Trick 'r Treat (2007) [commentary w/Michael Dougherty, Simeon Wilkins, Breehn Burns and Douglas Pipes]
    13 10/08 Hocus Pocus (1993) [theater]
    00 10/09 Psych: "Tuesday the 17th" (2009)
    14 10/09 The Phantom of the Opera [theater w/ live organist]
    15 10/10 Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
    16 10/11 Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed! (1969)
    17 10/12 Blackenstein: The Black Frankenstein (1973)
    18 10/13 Svengoolie Presents, The Return of the Vampire (1944)
    19 10/13 Svengoolie Presents, Cry of the Werewolf (1944)
    20 10/14 Flesh for Frankenstein (1973)
    21 10/15 The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) [theater]
    22 10/16 Mad Monster Party? (1967)
    00 10/16 Mad, Mad, Mad Monsters (1972)
    23 10/17 Monster of Frankenstein ( Kyofu densetsu: Kaiki! Furankenshutain ) (1981)
    24 10/18 Frankenweenie 3D (2012)
    25 10/19 Young Frankenstein (1974)
    26 10/20 WNUF Halloween Special (2013)
    27 10/20 The Black Cat (1934)
    28 10/20 Gothic (1986)
    29 10/21 Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1973)
    30 10/22 The Horror of Frankenstein (1970)
    31 10/23 Sam Sherman Presents, Dracula vs. Frankenstein (1971)
    32 10/24 I Was a Teenage Frankenstein (1957)
    33 10/24 Elvira Presents, Frankenstein's Daughter (1958)
    34 10/25 Frankenstein 1970 (1958)
    35 10/25 House of Frankenstein (1944)
    36 10/25 House of Dracula (1945)
    37 10/26 Rowing With The Wind ( Remando al viento ) (1988)
    38 10/26 Haunted Summer (1988)
    00 10/26 Frankenstein (1910)
    39 10/27 Svengoolie Presents, Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
    40 10/27 Svengoolie Presents, Thirteen Ghosts (1960)
    41 10/28 Howl of the Devil ( El aullido del diablo ) (1987)
    42 10/29 The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)
    43 10/29 Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)
    00 10/30 I Dream of Jeannie: "My Master, the Ghostbreaker "(1968)
    44 10/30 Halloween (2018) [theater]
    00 10/30 Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: "A Halloween Story" (1996)
    00 10/30 Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: "Good Will Haunting" (1998)
    00 10/30 Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: "The Halloween Scene" (2000)
    45 10/30 Son of Frankenstein (1939)

Normally I play MST3k on Halloween during Trick 'r Treat hours but last year I stumbled upon a Adams Family marathon which works just as well so I went with that. This year was Bewitched which I don't much care for. However this year I played WNUF Halloween Special during my party so that means I had the time to watch my old Halloween VHS my parents made from various airings during the early 80's. So I watched that, which I hadn't really sat down and watched even when I played it at parties.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00 10/31 Halloween Is Grinch Night (1977)
    Almost ten years after How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Dr. Seuss gave TV specials another shot with this second Grinch filled Holiday special that's mostly forgotten now. And it's too bad because while it's not quite Stole Christmas level of excellence it's still got some great songs, some great designs and more limited but still quiet excellent animation. I kinda have to blame Friz Freleng for its lackluster approach. He was always a bit more low key compared to the greats like Chuck Jones and that's most evident in the Wile E. Coyote cartoons Freleng later made after Jones left Warner Brothers.
    In place of Boris Karloff we now have Hans Conried, who was recently on Svengoolie's airing of Dr. Seuss' first live action film The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T. And after seeing that and on Sven's recommendation I watched the rare oddity film The Twonky and so I've become very familiar with this man now and Dr. Seuss must have enjoyed his work too because he brought him back here for this. He has some large shoes to fill after Karloff and I feel he does it admirably doing double duty as narrator and Grinch just like Karloff died. And why not, for Conried is every bit of the character actor Karloff is and one of the great comedy actors which I always considered a tougher career than dramatic acting.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00 10/31 A Disney Halloween ( Disney's Halloween Treat ) (198?)
    I've had a hard time pegging down which broadcast this is as it was re-edited nearly every year throughout the 80's. It's a fun compilation for the verging Disney Channel that includes many on the ride shots of The Haunted Mansion from Disneyland (which is hard for park fans to get decent period footage of). It almost immediate with the sequence from Fantasia A Night On Bald Mountain which is enough to keep anyone enthralled. Up next is The Old Mill (1937) which is another masterpiece circa Snow White. Amoung other season excerpts is a reworking of a segment Disney produced about cats and witchcraft which apparently never made it to home video. It's a great set piece where a cat hunts rats! And mixed in here somewhere was a seriously trimmed version of Donald Duck and the Gorilla (1944) which is still fun with all its highlighted high jinx.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00 10/31 The Wonderful World of Disney: "Disney's Greatest Villains" (1977)
    And guess who's back? That's right our new friend Hans Conried who supplied not only the face and voice for the Magic Mirror for this Disney special but one of the very villains he waxes philosophically about is his own portrayal of Captain Hook from Disney's Peter Pan! This is a fun excerpt that I always remember dropping any toy I was playing to watch this mesmerized. It's a novel narrative that paints the villains in a positive light in its own peculiar way. Funny enough it's mostly a collection of the more overlooked villains of Disney film history, but why focus on the already infamous ones even if the show's entitled "Greatest Villains?" Conried has some simple but effective face paint on as "Slave in the Magic Mirror," from Disney's first film Snow White (which he did not play in 1937) and which he reprises several times over the decades for Disney.

[​IMG]
    Reference photo taken of Hans Conried as Capt. Hook for Disney's Peter Pan animators.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00 10/31 Lonesome Ghosts (1937)
    One of the best screwball shorts to come from Disney and it would have made a great companion piece to Hold That Ghost. The animation is amazing, the designs hysterical and the backgrounds are stellar. Disney just doesn't get much better than this. My favorite bit though is Goofy and the dresser. It's one of those great Goofy moments where you could cut away to the ghosts standing at the side lines thumping to the scene and saying to the audience, "Get this dope!" It's too bad these old shorts are so impossible to see these days. I dare say Disney is ashamed to show them because it make their modern digital animation look like crap by comparison.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00 10/31 Trick or Treat (1952)
    I tried to get an HD copy of this from "the usual places" to better enjoy but they squeezed it to be widescreen the Philistines and it was completely unwatchable. So my VHS copy will have to suffice for now. By the 50's the animation styles had become more reserved and we didn't get the rubber band style of the 30's like above, but don't let that conservative animation fool you because work hard play hard was the 50's motto and nobody played rough like Donald Duck who brow beat his nephews mercilessly with regularity and this Halloween was no exception. But his cruelty is repaid in kind as a witch shows him a trick or two. But while Lonesome Ghosts may not be chic enough there's some other reasons why this one doesn't get circulated much any more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00 10/31 Walt Disney Presents, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1949)
    The program finally closes with of course Walt Disney himself introducing this American classic. They take the time here to build things up with more screw ball antics that I frequently forget how much like the other Silly Symphonies as the time were. I'm a big of of Bing Crosby fan myself and his casting as the narrator and vocals for most characters is an inspired one. He was a talented actor whose skill can be found as he easily matches Bob Hope in their travel comedy; as I said comedies is probably the toughest and Bing made it look effortless. And that comedic timing was a blessing here too. But his baritone pipes was also well equipped for going to the deep darkest reaches of the imagination. While the finale is filled with nightmarish imagery it's pretty hysterical with Ichabod behaving more like Goofy. It's that horror and comedy balance that always seems to work brilliantly together and that's so very clear here. A well deserved classic for the ages.

[​IMG]
    00 10/31 Halloween Is Grinch Night (1977)
    This film is well planted in my mine and I'm always surprised when I meet people who don't know it. But a few years ago that got explain because I found that it's on this VHS tape twice! God knows how many times a monster kid like me watched this tape October after October back in the day but however many times I did times that by two and you get the total times I've watched this short film. Dozens of times more than The Grinch Who Stole Christmas I'd wager! Some more things I learned this year is it turns out Henry Gibson, so will later show up tonight as Igor in The Halloween That Almost Wasn't, did the signing voice for Max the dog! Small world. The IMDb also list Mel Blanc and Paul Frees as unaccredited voice work and while I can believe Frees lent his voice because he's the go to guy for any voice work required for characters without dialog I'd have a hard time placing any voice to the very identifiable Blanc; I may have to watch and listen again.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00 10/31 Witch's Night Out (1978)
    It features a Gloria Swanson-esqu witch that's depressed no one asks her to cast spells anymore because nobody believes in magic. It's a great performance so looked up who did the voice and was blown away that it was Gilda Radner! It's some excellent voice work and while I know her work I never imagined she was that versatile with her impersonations. It also turns out the disagreeable adult who's most like a witch was played by Catherine O'Hara (Frankenweenie) in another performance I never would have imagined. As a kid I didn't really like the animation style so I tried not to luck it but much of it did capture my imagination like the children and uncle wanting to turned into monsters (including Frankenstein's of course). I appreciate the unique animation style more now and the sound design is stellar. A real first rate production for what I can imagine was a cheap TV budget. Sometimes cartoons are just wasted on the young.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00 10/31 The Halloween That Almost Wasn't (1979)
    It's funny when you recognize actors now as adults, like Judd Hirsch who was a regular on Taxi playing Count Dracula. And his Lugosi impression is pretty good. Not so good that you'd swear it was Lugosi but good enough that you don't question the inspiration. And Henry Gibson who usually plays the straight man in comedy hamming it up as a hunchbacked Igor with a Karloff impression that's more a jumping off point for a lispie creep than an impersonation. Funny enough the actor playing The Frankenstein Monster is also doing his best Karloff impression so we have dueling lisps goings on. It's some more dumb fun that I think adults would appreciate more but I remember well as a kid the teeny tiny bat gag. And the disco dancing Dracula is something that occasionally reforms my mind's eye randomly like an acid flash back from the 70's.

[​IMG]
    00 10/31 The Ghost of Faffner Hall: "If You Can Play, It's an Instrument" (1989)
    I think this was thrown on the tail end of the tape more because of the Ghost in the title than anything else. It's a Jim Henson production with ghosts so I was thrilled to death to see this as a child. Unfortunately it turned out to be a show almost exclusively about music and as I kid I couldn't care less about that. But I did later dabble a bit in percussion so the segment with David Sawyer is fun and a lot of what he does is the same thing foley artists do so that's a fun segment. In fact it's all pretty fun now and it's a little sad that a show like this didn't catch on because it filled a void I think did need filling. If it didn't have the ghost attached to it it might actually had done better. Which is also somewhat sad to say.

If anyone was counting that was exactly four solid hours of nostalgia that covered the entire Trick 'r Treat window.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    46 10/31 Van Helsing (2004)
    By all appearances this originally looked like a CGI shitfest that took a digital diarrhea all over the original Universal classics so I'd never bothered to watch it. It took me awhile to warm up to The Mummy films of Stephen Sommers and I do like both Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale so what the hell I'll get into the Halloween spirit and watch it. There is a lot of dreadful CGI. The vampire's extended jawline being one of the more annoying but the reworking of Frankenstein into some kinda steam punk robot is just cringe inducing. And the vampire baby bats are just head shaking... But overall it's still watchable film and that's only because of Jackman and Beckinsale. You throw most any other actors in there and you couldn't salvage a frame. And I do like Kevin J. O'Connor but he's totally unrecognizable as Igor and frankly his role is pretty throw away. Cut out the opening against Mr. Hyde, cut out the horse cariage chase, and trim back the first baby vampire birthing and whatever else it takes to make this nintey minutes and you might have something. And yet I'm left contemplating that UHD Blu-ray... but why...?

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    47 10/31 Dracula (1931)
    An underrated film, as strange as that may sound. And long ago I discovered why. I'm pretty well versed in the film so one day I tried to get some work done while it was playing. I told myself, "When it gets to a part that you don't like do something else until it does get to a part you like." But I soon found I could never tear myself away, because I like every part of it! It's got such great acting in it even the talkie parts are filled with little nuggets to enjoy. It occurs to me that we really have Todd Browning to thank for discovering Dwight Frye, one of my favorite actors in these Universals and this is far and away his best performance. The manic laugh he gives in the hold of the ship is reason enough to laud his performance but his scenes talking to Van Helsing in the parlor are just dialog scenes with little action but he milks every word to its fullest in pitch perfect dementia. Outside of the castle sets Frye is painting the atmosphere more thickly than any set dresser. Watching this now and thinking about the Spanish cut, and after reading Gary D. Rhodes's book, I'm starting to think there was a re-shoot of the cigarette case sequence. It's staged very different from the Spanish cut which reportedly even used a lot of the same actor spots. And I find it to be much more refined in the American cut when the Spanish team got to see those rushes. It may be that this moment was originally more broadly enacted in the American version as it is in the Spanish cut. But then Browning scaled it back with the re-shoots. It seems to me the theatrical cut is really the best final form this film could realistically take. I wouldn't trade any of these actor's pieces for some more action pieces. The "House of" films are full of these so called action pieces and people call those dull too.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    48 10/31 Ghost Host Presents, Frankenstein (1931)
    Cleaning up some more I stumbled on this DVDr set I bought of films hosted by 80's WBFF-45 Baltimore Horror Host "Ghost Host." It includes Night Key, Werewolf of London and Frankenstein. To make something special of Frankenstein this year I decided to play this version. It's a simple format, with him just giving some basics, but they put a really cool reverb on his voice and combined with his creepy inflection this made for a pretty cool presentation. His pronouncement of "Frankenstein" was very singular. Almost a question but also a sly statement. He also credits my main man Dwight Frye as the only other name with Boris Karloff (all though later at the mid point he credits Boris Karloff and Mae Clarke). Base on the trailer for "Over the Top" saying it opened that week this broadcast just before Friday the 13th, 1987. As such this is still the heavily censored print which was not restored until the early 90's. Besides the well know edits there's an interesting cut when Edward Van Sloan injects The Monster in the back and Karloff's vengeful blows on Frankenstein are reduced before passing out. I'd not heard of that footage being edited. In addition to all that there's all the original commercials including The Money Machine where you try to snatch blown money in a glass booth and another where you can win a Valentine's Day date with Heather Thomas! I wonder how that went! At the mid point break the Ghost Host walks through a graveyard with pun filled gravestones like "Clawed Raines" and "Frank Stein 1564 - 1790, 1790 - 1855, 1877 - ." Together it all runs under a hour and fifteen minutes so a lot more was probably cut out for time. Apparently it was paired with Ghost of Frankenstein but that was not included in my set.
    [​IMG]
    And Frankenstein? An absolute favorite of mine. I enjoy the down and dirty approach to it with a lot of camera work that's bordering hand held just barely able to keep up with Whale's frenetic shot pace. Dwight Frye is great here with all the little things he does like taking the lid off the jar when stealing the "normal" brain, pulling his sock up before climbing the stairs, and I noticed more how weasel like he is skirting just around the main actors like a cautious rodent would. For Karloff there's all the broad things he does too like his careless use of doors in such a rudimentary way. It's more than child like; a child can watch and learn how to use a door from adults. It's as if he's never even seen someone use them before. It's this kind of break down of how humans fundamentally interact with the world around them that Karloff re-interprets so well. By the sequels he's more advanced in how he moves about the world. But here it's much more animal like than even human. An engaging film that I still find more and more to see in.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    49 10/31 Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
    I always enjoyed the opening with Elsa Lanchester playing Mary Shelley with Percy Shelley and Lord Byron on a dark stormy night. The above shot is a foreshadowing mirror image of the iconic shot later in the film at The Bride's reveal. I took special note of where Percy and Bryon were in relation to Mary and I see that in the final shot Frankenstein is in the place of Percy and Dr. Pretorius is in the place of Lord Byron. The unrepentant sinners are matched and Mary's true love Percy is matched with Frankenstein the passionate genius whom The Bride fancied just as well. It's a brilliant piece of staging and matches well the history with the fantasy. Frankenstein mentions his own desire to breed a race, which I've talked about several times as a fallacy. But Dr. Pretorius comes closest I think to achieving that goal. It's unknown how he creates life. He mentions that he "grew them from seed" but he obviously goes much further than that. I also noted that we first see The Bride as a skull, a common motif in later Frankenstein films. And it seems puzzling to me that with both these films the producers originally wanted Dr. Frankenstein to die but then in both cases test audiences responded that they wanted to see him live. It goes against the censorship laws of the time but somehow Universal skirts past that; perhaps because Frankenstein never directly commits a crime. Collectively we must still empathize with this man but we see in later films these doctors regularly pay the ultimate price in the final reel. Early in the film Dr. Frankenstein reflects that he's profaned death and I think that statement hits closest to the mark about what is ultimately wrong with what Frankenstein does. By picking apart bodies and selecting the best bits and pieces he overlooks what made their life and that's why it is a crime against death. By ignoring their deaths you ignore their lives. And it is this one shot at life that we need to protect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00 10/31 Bewitched: "The Witches Are Out" (1964)
    I caught the tail and of the Bewitched marathon. After dumping on Bewitched during my 10/30 post I have to admit this episode is a good example of compromise between Darin and Samantha. It was one of the good ones with Dick York. Darin takes to heart Samantha's complaint that all witches are depicted as wart covered old hags and puts his foot down on a Halloween assignment; costing his job. Samantha decides to visit the unhappy client... In his dreams with the aid of Madge Blake (Batman 1966) and Reta Shaw (Ghost and Mr. Chicken); two more witches eager to help rehabilitate the witch image. Some great classic witch imagery and a central message that both admits the humor in excessive political correctness but also the need for it. A fun episode that I'm glad I caught in glorious black and white no less.

[​IMG]

Well that's it for this year. Forty nine total films. I did see Lon Chaney in The Unknown which anyone would give to me as an even fifty but I'll remain firm with what I consider true to Horror for October. I only missed on day where I didn't watch a single film. And for nearly every day I watched a Frankenstein film. Only days where I went to the theater or something similar happened did I not watch anything to do with Frankenstein. It was a fun challenge that I took lightly this year and just enjoyed it. See y'all next year!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  17. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Every year I plan on watching WNUF and every year I forget. I bought it ages ago based on the positive postings on here but my collection is so doubled-up on the shelves that I don't "see" the case.

maskull and indrid13 like this.
  18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

...maybe for the best. ;)

maskull and indrid13 like this.
  19. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

LOL, really? Damn, at least you put my expectations in check. :D

20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Yeah, it's a good thing to watch on Halloween but I would say don't set your expectations too high. It's really well done and nostalgic, but don't go in expecting much of an actual story.

Myron Breck likes this.