The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2018!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2018.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

And Who Saw Her Die? :)

But she's not quite on the level of BOB. I can say BOB and horror fans know who I'm talkin' about.

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Oh yeah, everyone knows BOB. It's just that Nicoletta Elmi is the human equivalent of J&B whiskey; It ain't a giallo till you see her.

hulkyduck, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG][​IMG]
    32 10/24 I Was a Teenage Frankenstein (1957)
    As this film is unavailable I made it something of a mission to watch it this season. Teenage Werewolf's Whit Bissell is back for yet more Teenage Hijinks; this time as the renowned Frankenstein himself and they must have enticed him with Phyllis Coates as his love interest because it probably wasn't the paycheck! I'm not sure where the producer's heads were at because for a teenage-centric film they're focusing an awful lot on old people's problems and our teenage Frank's only "love interest" Angela Blake's character's name is simply "beautiful girl" in the credits! As was AIP's dictum at the time the final moments were in color and since our teen had a handsome mug at that point it's fitting that the sole survivor manages to flash back on the monster's horrific visage in glorious (two toned) color. A hopeful sendoff so that drive-in movie goers don't ask for their money back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    33 10/24 Elvira Presents, Frankenstein's Daughter (1958)
    I've see far too little of Elvira these past few Octobers and so I thought I'd dust off my old Midnight Madness VHS to pair with IWaTF. These Rhino tapes aren't a whole show though just an opening bit and closing bit with the Mistress of the Dark.And at least in this episode she's making sex jokes the whole way through.

I liked the opening plot better; a teen unwittingly becomes the guinea pig to her Uncle's experiments between life and death. But soon Dr. Frankenstein steps into the picture as a lowly lab assistant who lusts after her friend, Miss February '57, Sally Todd. But like all of the Frankensteins before him his romantic entanglements prove disastrous (speaking of breeding how do these guys keep doing it?). And so Dr. Frankenstein puts the brain of a woman in The Monster's body and THAT makes it Frankenstein's Daughter. Truly it can be said that we have a woman trapped in a man's body!

[​IMG]

hulkyduck, Workshed, Rocker10 and 7 others like this.
  4. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 29TH:
    At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul
    Carnival of Souls
    Freaks
    The City of the Dead

OCTOBER 30TH:
    Hellraiser
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    A Nightmare On Elm Street

hulkyduck, Rocker10, hots4 and 2 others like this.
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

October 30th:

9-1-1 "Haunted" (DVR / FOX) - I've been casually watching this series since it premiered, and this was their Halloween special. So I figured why not include it. It wasn't especially Halloween-ey, aside from a few brief set-pieces (bats attacking a haunted house, etc). Aside from that, pretty standard episode of the series. I will say the Valentine's Day episode last season was scarier than this.

The Conners "There Won't Be Blood" (DVR / ABC) - I never really watched Roseanne except for the Halloween specials. More than any other show on TV, they always went all out for Halloween. Every inch of every frame was always littered with Halloween. I figured The Conners would at least try to step up to bat, but unfortunately this was pretty standard sitcom fare with just a minor dash of Halloween thrown in, specifically a scene at a Halloween Carnival (which we never get to see the inside of, as the son is banned for his Frida Kahlo costume). Very disappointing. I usually love when TV shows do a Halloween special, but I feel like all the ones I've seen this year have been mediocre.

TERRIFIED.JPG

Terrified aka Aterrados (2017) (Shudder) - I didn't love this one because the overall narrative is way too wonky for my liking. However, I will say that it succeeds where a lot of those mainstream boring ghost movies (for example, the Insidious and Conjuring franchises and their rip-offs) fail in that the scares really land. If you want a great ghost story, this isn't it. But if you're not concerned with story whatsoever and just want a good jolt every 5 minutes or so, this is a good one. I enjoyed it, but doubt I'd ever revisit.

LEGEND OF HALLOWEEN JACK.JPG

The Legend Of Halloween Jack (2018) (DVD) - This was a low-budget British retelling of Dark Night Of The Scarecrow, only this time Bubba did do it. Unfortunately, it's not good, but I did find it perfectly tolerable. For a Halloween movie, there are really no Halloween decorations here except for during a Halloween dance towards the end. I liked the use of public domain horror movies, even though the opening of Night Of The Living Dead seems like the go-to clip for every horror movie ever. Tonally, it brought to mind those Harvest Of Fear / Path Of Evil movies. I don't think I'd recommend this one, unless it's on a free streaming service and you're completely out of Halloween themed movies to watch.

ARIESCOPE.JPG

ArieScope Halloween Shorts (2010 - 2018) (Vimeo) - Wrapping up the second half of Adam Green's 20 years of Halloween shorts. These were all really enjoyable and fun. I'm glad I went through all of them, because this year's short "The Intervention" is filled with throwbacks to all of the previous shorts. It probably wouldn't work if you're not familiar with them. My favorites of this batch were "Halloween Hugs", "Just Take One", and "A Holliston Halloween". My least favorite was "Happy Halloween", but there's a rather funny joke at its expense in "The Intervention". If you haven't seen these and are in the mood for Halloween fun, I'd highly recommend doing your own little marathon. Check 'em out at: http://ariescope.com/category/shorts/

October 31st:

HISTORY OF HORROR.JPG

Eli Roth's History Of Horror Episode 4 "The Demons Inside" (DVR / AMC) - More from this Terror In The Aisles style clip show, this time tackling the possession genre. Fortunately for me, not just the boring religious ones, but also movies like The Evil Dead, Jennifer's Body, Get Out, and there's even a brief clip from Night Of The Demons early on. But yeah, the majority of the episode is given to The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, and The Omen, all of which are the rare religious horror films I don't find boring. Interviewees include Jamie Lee Curtis (on how her mother wouldn't let her take the role of Regan), Linda Blair, Jordan Peele, Bruce Campbell, Karyn Kusama, and Diablo Cody. Next week is Creature Features!

MALEVOLENT.JPG

Malevolent (2018) (NetFlix) - This got off to an intriguing start, but very quickly ran out of steam. The haunted house that is the primary focus of the movie wasn't very interesting, nor was its backstory. It doesn't help that a majority of the characters are less than likable. I kind of lost interest as it went along. Totally fine for a NetFlix watch, assuming you already have the service, but not something I'd recommend or ever watch again.

Unfortunately, I got a cold yesterday, and Scream Factory has yet to even ship my Night Of The Demons blu-ray (which was on deck for tonight). So I doubt I'll watch any favorites tonight. Whenever I do get my Night Of The Demons blu-ray, I'll probably do a little post-Halloween binge of NOTD 1 & 2 + Scream Factory's Trick 'r Treat blu-ray. I'll just have to leave the decorations up another week or two, or until whenever Scream Factory gets around to mailing my package.

Previous Entries:
    1.) Feral (2017)
    2.) You Might Be The Killer (2018)
    3.) No Escape Room (2018)
    4.) Hell Fest (2018)
    5.) The Witch Files (2018)
    6.) Hold The Dark (2018)
    7.) Creeped Out Episodes 1 & 2 "Marti" & "Slapstick"
    8.) American Horror Story: Apocalypse Episodes 4 & 5 "Could It Be... Satan?" & "Boy Wonder"
    9.) Tales From The Hood 2 (2018)
    10.) The Mummy An' The Armadillo (2004)
    11.) The Walking Dead Season 9 "A New Beginning"
    12.) Creeped Out Episodes 3 & 4 "Kindlesticks" & "Bravery Badge"
    13.) Bram Stoker's Shadowbuilder (1998)
    14.) The Body (2018)
    15.) The Purge Episodes 5 & 6 "Rise Up" & "The Forgotten"
    16.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 1 & 2 "Steven Sees A Ghost" & "Open Casket"
    17.) Slash (2002)
    18.) Light As A Feather Episodes 1 - 3 "Stiff As A Board" & "Pretty As A Picture" & "Dead As A Doornail"
    19.) Creeped Out Episodes 5 & 6 "Cat Food" & "Trolled"
    20.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 3 & 4 "Touch" & "The Twin Thing"
    21.) Knuckleball (2018)
    22.) Light As A Feather Episodes 4 – 7 "Dark As The Night" & "Mad As A Hatter" & "Troubled As The Tide" & "Right As Rain"
    23.) Cucuy: The Boogeyman (2018)
    24.) Creeped Out Episodes 7 & 8 "Shed No Fear" & "The Call"
    25.) Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (2018)
    26.) Bad Times At The El Royale (2018)
    27.) You Episodes 4 - 6 "The Captain" & "Living With The Enemy" & "Amour Fou"
    28.) The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 2 "The Bridge"
    29.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 5 & 6 "The Bent-Neck Lady" & "Two Storms"
    30.) Malevolence (2003)
    31.) Light As A Feather Episodes 8 - 10 "Cold As Ice" & "Innocent As A Lamb" & "Slippery As An Eel"
    32.) Eli Roth’s History Of Horror Episode 1 "Zombies"
    33.) I Still See You (2018)
    34.) The Roost (2005)
    35.) Malevolence 2: Bereavement Director’s Cut (2010)
    36.) He’s Out There (2018)
    37.) Karma (2018)
    38.) Sleep No More (2018)
    39.) Extremity (2018)
    40.) Malevolence 3: Killer (2018)
    41.) Jack-O (1995)
    42.) American Horror Story: Apocalypse Episode 6 "Return To Murder House"
    43.) The Purge Episode 7 "Lovely Dark And Deep"
    44.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 7 & 8 "Eulogy” & “Witness Marks"
    45.) Halloween (1978)
    46.) Miss Leslie’s Dolls (1973)
    47.) Halloween (2018)
    48.) Halloween (2018)
    49.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 9 & 10 "Screaming Meemies" & "Silence Lay Steadily"
    50.) The Babysitter (2017)
    51.) All Hallows' Eve 2 (2015)
    52.) Killer High (2018)
    53.) Creeped Out Episodes 9 & 10 "A Boy Called Red" and "Spaceman"
    54.) Mr Mercedes Season Two Episodes 6 & 7 "Proximity" & "Fell On Black Days"
    55.) The Simpsons Treehouse Of Horror XXIX
    56.) Blood Harvest (1987)
    57.) American Nightmare (2002)
    58.) You Episode 7 "Everythingship"
    59.) The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 3 "Warning Signs"
    60.) Eli Roth’s History Of Horror Episode 2 "Slashers (Part 1)"
    61.) Mr. Mercedes Season 2 Episodes 8 & 9 "Nobody Puts Brady In A Crestmore" & "Walk Like A Man"
    62.) Def By Temptation (1990)
    63.) HauntedWeen (1991)
    64.) Haunted Episodes 1 & 2 "The Woman In White" & "The Slaughterhouse"
    65.) Eli Roth's History Of Horror Episode 3 "Slashers (Part 2)"
    66.) Channel Zero: Butcher's Block Episodes 1 - 3 "Insidious Onset" & "Father Time" & "All You Ghost Mice"
    67.) House aka Hausu (1977)
    68.) Haunted Episode 3 & 4 "Demon In The Dark" & "Children Of The Well"
    69.) The Goldbergs "Mister Knifey-Hands"
    70.) Mr. Boogedy (1986)
    71.) Bride Of Boogedy (1987)
    72.) American Horror Story: Apocalypse Episode 7 "Traitor"
    73.) Haunted Episodes 5 & 6 "Alien Infection" & "Stolen Gravestone"
    74.) Riverdale Season Three Chapters Thiry-Six - Thirty-Eight "Labor Day" & "Fortune And Men’s Eyes" & "As Above, So Below"
    75.) Mr. Mercedes Season Two Episode 10 "Fade To Blue"
    76.) Trick Or Treat (1986)
    77.) The Hazing (2004)
    78.) Creeped Out Episodes 11 - 13 "The Traveller" & "Side Show (Part 1 & 2)"
    79.) The Halloween Tree (1993)
    80.) What The Waters Left Behind (2017)
    81.) The Witch In The Window (2018)
    82.) Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina Chapters 1 - 6 "October Country" & "The Dark Baptism" & "The Trial Of Sabrina Spellman" & "Witch Academy" & "Dreams In A Witch House" & "An Exorcism In Greendale"
    83.) Dead In The Water (2018)
    84.) The Guilty (2018)
    85.) Lightning Bug (2004)
    86.) You Episode 8 "You Got Me, Babe"
    87.) Boltneck (2000)
    88.) The Uninvited (1944)
    89.) The Nanny (2018)
    90.) ArieScope Halloween Shorts (1998 - 2009)
    91.) Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina Chapter 7 - 10 "Feast Of Feasts" & "The Burial" & "The Returned Man" & "The Witching Hour"
    92.) The Curious Creations Of Christine McConnell Episodes 1 & 2 "Snacks For Strays" & "Gifts For Nosy Neighbors"

hulkyduck, Workshed, Rocker10 and 5 others like this.
  6. maskull

October 28:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

101) Boogeyman (2005): Most of the movie is just boring. BORING. The worst crime is they can't even make a scene with a kid alone in a dark room and the closet door opening, scary. They actually make it laughable when the father gets pulled into the closet. But I knew I was really in trouble when our lead goes into the closet and is attacked by a clothes hanger. I think my attention started to wander after that. Well, even more than it already had. A clothes hanger.

102) A Dragonfly For Each Corpse (1975): Naschy does Giallo. I really get the feeling that Erika Blanc's character was the brains in the family and her husband Paul Naschy was more the muscle. She actually deduces things while he keeps running around yelling that he needs evidence, but hardly ever finding it. Unless it falls into his lap. And often thanks to his wife. Otherwise this is a fairly standard giallo with multiple murders, naked ladies, red herrings, and 2 dummy falls (which made me happy). It's really sleazy though. And the killer is an awful person who kills degenerates. Or at least 70's versions of degenerates. Though to be fair, there is one guy who seems to be into necrophilia and another that's into human trafficking and hangs out with a Nazi gang. So the killer isn't all bad. The weird thing is that you can actually almost figure out who the killer is. Unusual for a giallo I think.

103) What Have You Done To Solange? (1972): I haven't seen this one in a long while but I think that while this doesn't have the visual flair of an Argento giallo, it has one of the most intense, captivating, twisty, and disturbing stories of any giallo that I've seen. It's sleazy as hell and even though the murders aren't necessarily bloody, they are extremely brutal in the details that you don't see. Because the movie makes sure you know what happens to the poor girls. And then the finale made me feel sad.

104) Hell Night (1981): Linda Blair and the "I dropped the bar of soap" guy from Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter get trapped inside all old mansion as part of a Sorority/Fraternity hazing ritual. It's a horror movie, so of course things go badly. It's a slasher so of course there's something monstrous inside, waiting to kill the hapless teens in a bloody, neck twisty kind of way. Dark halls, haunting sounds, lots of atmosphere. This could almost be a haunted house movie but they went for the killer moving through secret passageways route. But it still feels like a haunted house movie for the first half until the blood starts to flow. It's been a long time since I last watched this on a burned, region 2 dvd, and I gotta say it's really nice to have this on blu ray so I can actually see what's happening in some of the darker scenes. It's a revelation.

105) Prince of Darkness (1987): Victor Wong yelling out to the character named Walter in this was rather surreal considering he would later be in Tremors, playing a character named Walter. So it was like he was calling to himself in the future. Too bad Tremors didn't come out in 1999, because then we could say that Victor Wong's character from Tremors was sending back messages to the people in this movie to warn them about Satan. Maybe Satan is a Graboid? But that doesn't work because Tremors came out in 1990. Darn.

Every time I watch this movie, I love it a little (LOT) more. I'm pretty sure it's heading up the list towards becoming my favourite Carpenter movie. I just didn't see it a lot or "get it" when I was a kid so it doesn't have the nostalgia associated with it as some of his other movies.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, Colin and 6 others like this.
  7. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 30th-

[​IMG]
    #SCVpsychochallenge: Day 30 - SLASH YOUR FACE: A solo maniac is out to get ya. You can run but you can't hide!

I'm actually a big fan of Zombie's follow up. Free of the remake/origin stuff it's a brutal, fever dream of a Halloween film. I don't mind the PTSD story line nor Mountain Man Mike. Brad Dourif, Danielle Harris and Scout Taylor-Compton were all excellent.

[​IMG]

Hadn't seen Town since it came out. Forgot just how much I liked it.

[​IMG]

hulkyduck, Workshed, Natas and 6 others like this.
  8. maskull

October 29:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

106) Ernest Scared Stupid (1991): As I mentioned a while back in my review of Return of the Living Dead II, I really hate comedy involving people making "funny" faces. So I knew this movie was not going to work for me. Or at least large chunks of it. Then the multiple costumes/personality bit started up and I knew this just wasn't for me. I'm not going to be completely negative though. The dog driving the truck (or any scene with the dog), and the Troll Trap made me laugh. And some of Ernest's gadgets. And some of the Trolls looked like they came directly off the set of Killer Klowns From Outer Space...which it's possible because lo and behold, I saw the Chiodo Brothers in the credits. So that was cool.

I think maybe if I saw this when I was a kid, the nostalgia would help me to like this a lot more, but this is my first time watching this. I think I'll show it to my niece though. She'll like the snot dripping down from the Troll's nose.

107) The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974): I love the look, feel and sound of this movie. It feels sweaty and grimy and I can smell the blood and the stench of the house with all the decaying bodies and chicken crap. Sally's screaming still annoys the heck out of me after ten straight minutes of her doing it, but I get it. Crazy people who killed your friends and who are going to kill you. It has an effect on you. Doesn't help my ears though. The score and the chainsaw roar help to offset that though. So it balances out.

I gotta say, the first time I saw this, I wasn't impressed with it. At least not the second half. It's been a total grower for me over the years.

October 30:

108) Carrie (1976): Waaay back when, I got my first ever personal computer. One I could keep in my bedroom and not have to share with the rest of my family. It was a big deal to me. Even bigger was that it came with a DVD drive. I could finally start watching movies on DVD rather than my worn out VHS tapes. You know what the first movie I bought was? Yep, Carrie (along with Hackers). I even made a wav file of the "they're all going to laugh at you" lines, so I could have it play whenever I shut down my computer. But the weird thing is, I don't think I ever actually watched that DVD the whole way through. I'd seen the movie a number of times of VHS and read the book, but for some weird reason I never got around to watching this DVD. Then I upgraded to blu ray. I still never watched this movie. I knew it was really good, but there was something about it that made me feel like I wouldn't really enjoy revisiting this after all these years.

But now I decided to finally give this movie another go. It's pretty much a perfect movie. The performances are spot on, especially Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, and Amy Irving...and William Katt's hair. The weird camera angles and split screens. The odd choices of music that work but almost sound like they should be in a completely different kind of movie. It all works. The Psycho music cue is a little jarring, but I went with it. Then we get to the prom. There's a reason why this movie is a horror classic. Heck, even just a classic, period. That moment when Carrie is looking happy. Maybe her life is going to get better (probably not though, she still has an awful mother). Maybe she'll have friends. Then splash! ......I'm sorry Carrie. You're one of the best. I will watch you many, many more times in the future. I promise.

109) The Fog (1980): I so love the scenery in this movie. I want to live in Stevie's house and work in her lighthouse. The mood, score, feel....it's all so gorgeously haunting. One of my favourite Carpenter films for sure.

hulkyduck, Workshed, indrid13 and 6 others like this.
  9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Here's how I did this month:

October:

1st: SCREAM OF THE WOLF (1974) **1/2
    2nd: CHILDREN OF THE CORN: RUNAWAY (2018) ***1/2
    CURSE II: THE BITE (1989) ***1/2
    3rd: nothing
    4th: A UIET PLACE (2018) ****
    POUGHKEEPSIE TAPES (2007) ***
    5th: ISLE OF THE DEAD (1945) ****
    THE STEPFORD WIVES (1975) ****1/2
    6th: ISLAND ZERO (2018) ***
    MALEVOLENT (2018) **
    7th: HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH (1982) ****
    THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES WHO STOPPED LIVING AND BECAME MIXED-UP ZOMBIES (1964) ***
    LEGEND (1986) ***1/2
    8th: THE THING (1982) *****
    THE CHANGELING (1980) ****
    9th: THE UNDYING MONSTER (1942) **1/2
    10th: nothing
    11th: SCREAM (1996) ***
    12th: HEREDITARY (2018) ****1/2
    13th: WRONG TURN 3: LEFT FOR DEAD (UNRATED) (2009) *1/2
    14th: LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (1971) ***1/2
    OUT OF THE DARK (1989) **1/2
    15th: THE EVIL (1978) **1/2
    16th: THE PREMONITION (1975) ***
    17th: HALLOWEEN (1978) *****
    18th: HALLOWEEN (2018) ****
    19th: SHOCK WAVES (1977) ***1/2
    20th: WITHOUT WARNING (1980) ***
    THE DOCTOR AND THE DEVILS (1985) ***
    21st: KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS (1977) ***1/2
    BODY MELT (1993) **
    GODMONSTER OF INDIAN FLATS (1973) ***
    22nd: PHANTASM II (1988) ***
    THE EXORCIST (1973) *****
    23rd: AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (1981) ****
    24th: THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW (1975) *****
    25th: BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (1992) ****
    26th: THE HOWLING (1981) *****
    27th: nothing
    28th: THE BLACK BELLY OF THE TARANTULA (1973) ***
    29th: THE WATCHER IN THE WOODS (1980) **1/2
    30th: THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD (1970) **
    31st: FRIDAY THE 13TH, PART II (1981) ****
    A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 5: THE DREAM CHILD (1989) ***1/2
    LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1986) *****

hulkyduck, indrid13, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

17 years ago(!) here was the review I wrote for Carrie: http://web.archive.org/web/20020604103710/http://horrordvds.com:80/reviews/a-m/carrie-se/
    If the Blu you have is the Arrow or Shout Factory, hit up some of those extras. They're really amazing.

hulkyduck, indrid13 and maskull like this.
  11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

This is how I'm wrapping up my Halloween horror season, too. It's a fantastic movie, and I agree, it just keeps getting better and better. I believe I said this last year, but I think this might be his last true masterpiece.

12. maskull

Honestly I only had the regular release of the movie because I didn't see myself watching it very much and it was cheap. Now that I've learned the error of my ways I'll definitely be springing for one of the more complete, feature laden releases. I'm so glad I watched this again!

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  13. maskull

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYBODY!!!!

I'm still watching movies so I'll post up my actual Halloween watches when I'm done.

hulkyduck, indrid13 and Rocker10 like this.
  14. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 31st
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I had off from work today, so I decided to make the best of it. With that being said, I'm exhausted. Happy Halloween!!! :D

81) Scream

82) Suspiria

83) Rosemary’s Baby

84) Videodrome

85) Eyes Without a Face

86) Cat People (1942)

87) Psycho (1960)

Myron Breck, hulkyduck, hots4 and 7 others like this.
  15. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 31

Happy Halloween everyone! Too much chaos today, but finished the way I wanted to anyway.

129. Halloween (1978) Blu-I pretty much have this movie memorized. It's a staple of the season and Halloween wouldn't feel right without a viewing. I usually don't watch it any other time, but every October, I get a watch in. Classic.

130. Halloween II (1981) Blu-The first Halloween I saw and saw it in the theater as a double bill with Ghost Story. Was underaged at the time, so it definitely had some shock value for me. A great double bill tonight of these two movies. I'll catch the new Halloween movie at some point, just not a fan of the theater experience anymore.

131. WNUF Halloween Special (2013) Amazon Prime-I had seen this mentioned quite a few times in the recent marathons and really knew nothing about it. Decided this was a good way to close down this years run. To me this feels ridiculously authentic. I remember the whole feel of TV and role that local news played in different events. Complete with commercials, they nailed the feel of this perfect. Glad I took a shot on it although I would probably only find this useful for a viewing in October.

~Rocker10

hulkyduck, hots4, Workshed and 5 others like this.
  16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/30/18

MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE (1986)

[​IMG]

It's pretty common for people to call specific films "guilty pleasures." I personally have no use for that label anymore. It sure sounds as though you're apologizing for liking a film dismissed by the masses. Have heard that term applied to this production, but couldn't give a fuck. Maximum Overdrive is a film I've maintained a lot of nostalgia for. The Vestron Video Collector's series from Lion's Gate has been a hit and miss affair in terms of titles. I however was very pleased with this latest selection getting the Blu-ray treatment.

All kinds of crazy shit is going down in Wilmington North Carolina and I don't just mean summer heat and humidity. Machines have suddenly gone haywire ranging from the playful (ATMs cursing at customers) to the dangerous (drawbridges opening at the wrong time, arcade games & vending assaults, etc.). The biggest threat happens to be all modes of transportation including construction vehicles, tractor trailers, and anything with wheels. All of them embrace the Death Race 2000 concept too literally. A number of people take shelter at the Dixie Boy truck stop. In reality, no one is safe from the kill crazy rampage.

Maximum Overdrive was made not that long after Night of the Comet. It was a timely concept for mid 80's horror material and a cool explanation for the madness unfolding. This would be the only time Stephen King directed a movie on top of the adapted screenplay. King has never been shy about his hatred of the film. Emilio Estevez is adequate in the lead. Don't expect any Repo Man (a personal favorite) moments. Some bad Southern stereotypes are on display. Examples include: the drunk pervert travelling bible salesman, super redneck business owner (Pat Hingle) who has enough personal guns to support the armed forces, and a "just married" couple with a whiny wife whose accent is thicker than the humidity level. They're all part of the entertainment value, especially Hingle. His character is named Bubba Hendershot (you read that correctly) and he loves to fire his rocket launcher when civilized people are still in his line of fire. Look for Giancarlo Esposito (Gus Fring on Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul) in a cameo as a video game aficionado.

This was never intended to be high art or thought provoking cinema. Instead, you could say that Maximum Overdrive delivers the goods as advertised. You even get a soundtrack from AC/DC. No deleted gore scenes on the Blu-ray, though the amount and quality of bonus material offers much to the collector.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, Workshed and 4 others like this.
  17. maskull

October 31:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

110) The House of the Devil (2009): Even though I like The Innkeepers slightly more than this one, I've found myself being drawn to watching THOTD on Halloween and watching The Innkeepers earlier in the season. I think THOTD is just a little more foreboding and seasonally, within the movie, it feels more appropriate for a Halloween viewing. It's a total slow burn but with little clues as to what's coming and a quick flash of bloody violence, but a lot of the movie is a girl, alone in a house. Babysitting. Not much else. But right from the start you know something is off. Maybe it's just Tom Noonan.

111) Trick 'r Treat (2007): It's a tradition for every Halloween. Must watch this movie. It's probably the most Halloween-y movie there is. It drips Halloween.

112) Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982): That score is soooo freakin' amazing!! And the Silver Shamrock song is so catchy that I'll have it in my head for...the rest of my life. And the masks are cool. And what the masks do is really horrific. Just try not to think about the logic of this movie too much because you could pull it apart easily. But it also just feels like Halloween (the day not the movie). So it's best watched on October 31. Just don't wear your Silver Shamrock mask while watching it.

113) Suspiria (1977): My first time watching this on the Synapse blu ray. Gorgeous. You can really see those maggots clearly now and the blood is even more bright red than it used to be. WITCH!

114) WNUF Halloween Special (2013): I had no plans on watching this for this year's Halloween Fest but I kept seeing it get logged and honestly I was feeling a little bit tired. This is the perfect thing to but on and veg to. It's really well done. Not actually much to it story wise but a good watch late Halloween evening...well technically November 1st.

115) Night of the Demons (1988): The final movie of October. This is my traditional last movie. Usually watched really late at night...or should I say early morning? It's 4:58 right now and it's time for some sleep.

Thanks everyone for joining in again this year. Once again added a bunch of stuff to my watch list and enjoyed reading your reviews. Definitely going to give Sabrina a try now. Happy Halloween!

18. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 30th: The Manster

Manster.png

I decided I needed to watch at least one black-and-white horror movie this month, and in anticipation of Severin’s Blood Island set, I went with a bit of mad science and monster-on-the-loose action, The Manster. Having already turned his wife and brother into hideous monsters, Dr. Suzuki decides that foreign correspondent Larry is the ideal subject for his experiments. Exactly what Dr. Suzuki hopes to achieve with these experiments is never quite clear, but before we know it, Larry is running around with girls, drinking heavily, cheating on his wife Linda and being abusive towards her, killing people, growing an extra head, and just being an all-round dick. Really, Larry goes from no obvious personality to grade A asshole in the blink of an eye. When his wife confronts him with his infidelity, he backhandedly blames her, saying that perhaps he should have put her in her place more often and slapped her around a bit. Why Linda is willing to fight for her marriage to this scumbag is perhaps the biggest mystery. The monster effects are fun, though.

October 31st: Halloween (2018)

Halloween.png

After all the rave reviews, my expectations were high. I was aware that this entry retconned every other sequel out of existence, and that was the only thing that left me slightly sceptical. The original Halloween works fine without Laurie being Michael's sister, but if the two are to lock horns again and again, they need to be bound together by something, and her being his sister offers the strongest motive possible. In Laurie, Michael comes the closest to recreating his first kill - his sister Judith. If Michael is simply a force of evil, why would he take special interest in Laurie? That point of criticism remains for me, but I did like the idea of Laurie Strode having become a traumatised gun nut recluse. And 40 years later, Jamie Lee Curtis is still an engaging adversary for Michael Myers, and the movie's final stretch is enjoyably suspenseful. It's also the freshest part of the movie, as much of Michael's Haddonfield spree consists of reimaginings of episodes from the other sequels to the original. I was like "oh, the garage scene from H4, the old lady making a sandwich from H2, the attack on the young woman on the telephone from H2," etc. H40 borrows a certain element from H5 and 6 that I found somewhat unsatisfying:
    Michael has a guardian in Dr. Sartain. Like Dr. Loomis, Sartain is obsessed with Michael. But whereas Loomis simply wanted to neutralise Michael, Sartain is fascinated by Michael and the chance to study him "in the wild" - and perhaps even hearing him speak. Now, this idea is not bad at all, but the moment Michael kills Sartain, it feels as if the whole concept (and all the possibilities with it) is simply discarded. Sartain was nothing more than a means for Michael's escape and a mouthpiece for the idea that "perhaps Laurie and Michael are each other's driving force." Gee, didn't need a psychiatrist to explain that to me. I did, however, dig Sartain's ominous line: "He can speak. He just chooses not to."
    All in all, I was mostly entertained, occasionally scared, and at times, slightly frustrated. Certainly a stronger movie than the somewhat misguided H6 and the unredeemably awful H8, closer in spirit to the original than Zombie's clunky injection of social realism, and no doubt packing more of a punch than H20. As a sequel to the classic original though, it won't supplant H2 and H4 for me.

So that was it for this October - it went by too fast.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  19. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #35:
    Deathdream (1974)
    Rewatch (Blue Underground Blu)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    31. IN THE GRAVEYARD: The graveyard seems a fitting place to end a journey. But for some it might just be the beginning...ZOMBIES!!!

And that’s all for October. I was surprised to see that I watched just about as many films this year as I did last, back when I didn’t have a baby around.

Favorite first time viewings:
    The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970)
    I Start Counting (1970)
    Threads (1984)
    The Uninvited (1944)
    A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Man, I really bricked it this year. Probably less than 10 movies total. Plus, as has been pointed out by others on this board, I'm getting older, so often my planned marathons stopped at 1 1/2 movies because I was just ready to sleep. I never want my movie watching to be a chore (and fighting sleep is indeed that). Also doesn't help that we had exactly one night of rain and temperature below 75. Not exactly conducive to horror movie watching.

Still, I remember a Mad magazine bit from a long time ago called "Good News/Bad News". And one of the panels was a dejected kid at Christmas: "Bad news: Finding out there's no Santa Claus". Next panel had him buried in presents. "Good news: Finding out it doesn't matter"

So yeah, I can (and will) watch a ton of horror movies any fucking time I want, when I'm not tired, and when it's cold and rainy outside. If it's cold and rainy outside. Damn global warming!

hulkyduck, Rocker10, hots4 and 3 others like this.