The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2018!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2018.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Channel Zero Dream Door - Episodes 1 - 4

channelzero_gallery_207recap_10.jpg

I started up the new season of Channel Zero called Dream Door. I've been watching a few episodes per night. So far it's the best season of Channel Zero. Usually the seasons kind of lose interest for me after the second or third episodes. I was waiting for that to happen with this season. But it keeps up the tension. The villain is really creepy and has a bunch of scary scenes. The premise is that a door somehow shows up in a couple's home. What happens breaks what I call the Eddie Murphy black person horror rule. It was responsible for the recent Get Out movie title. Dream Door also has a white guy doing something completely crazy in the first episode. I would post an image but it would spoil the surprise that's just hilarious.

But I like the characters and the situation of the show. The actors do a good job too. There is the guy who played a cop in the previous season as the husband in Dream Door. Also a new actress that I've never seen before plays the wife and the main character. Apparently she's going to be in a new Swamp Thing show as well. So I'll look forward to seeing her in that. She has a nice voice and you care about the predicament she finds herself in. Also Barbara Crampton shows up along with the bad guy from the second season of Helix. He always turns in a good performance.

The person in charge of picking out the locations can really find some nice houses. I love the different home designs and interiors. I did a quick search to attempt to find the locations but wiki and imdb doesn't have it listed yet. I assume somewhere in Canada though since all of the previous seasons were filmed in Manitoba. I saved a few images. I want to find the poster in the main character's entryway for myself.

I found a post on another forum that linked the inspiration story for this season. I'll read it after I finish watching episodes 5 and 6.

http://fifteenhours-creepystories.t.../creepypasta-1067-i-found-a-hidden-door-in-my

I'll post a final review of those last two episodes. I hope the show doesn't let up.

One of my favorites. Nice seeing you use a Mondo poster image. I'm looking forward to what they and other galleries might have for Halloween.

Rocker10, CPT HOOK, Workshed and 4 others like this.
  2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #33:
    Vigilante (1983)
    First time viewing (Amazon Prime)
    *** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    29. GANGS: One where a group of ne’er-do-wells do some serious menacing.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, CPT HOOK and 2 others like this.
  3. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I ab so fucking lutely love the Blind Dead series. I may have to break out the box set and rewatch them all again. The series is covered with atmosphere. Great set

4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 29th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

75) V/H/S

76) V/H/S/2

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

29th - October Madness No.46 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 29 - GANGS: One where a group of ne'er-do-wells do some serious menacing.
    [​IMG]

Tenement: Game of Survival (1985) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5
    Robert Findlay's highly entertaining and trashy Tenement: Game of Survival is a bloody good time. A gang of dope pushers are squatting in a tenement building and hassling the tenants, and when the cops are called on them they get busted and shipped off to jail, but when the charges can't be stuck the gang walks and seeks revenge on the building and its occupants, slowly advancing to the top, terrorizing and murdering all in their way while the tenants band together to defend their family and homes. Game of Survival shares quite a few similarities with Death Wish III in set-up and execution, which came out a few months after so this technically came first. But this lower budget, grimier, and offensive actioner is chock full of exploitation value and a kick-ass soundtrack which contains slightly dated '70s era proto-rock and an '80's hip hop opening and end theme, and where else are you gonna see a bad guy get his demise via a cartoon lightning bolt after being impaled with a television antenna on the tenement rooftop during a thunder storm?

29th - October Madness No.47
    [​IMG]
    Blood Lust (aka Mosquito) (1977) - Rating: 3/5
    Very loosely based on a true story about a guy who drank the blood of some folks, Blood Lust (aka Mosquito) concerns a deaf and mute man who's abusive upbringing has led to deeper problems as he fixates on becoming a human mosquito and works his way up form mutilating dead bodies to eventually drinking their blood through a straw. It's a moody film with some haunting and deeply disturbing images, some pretty good practical effects, and an interesting portrayal of why people do the things they do, and how their upbringing and those who've shaped them share in the blame so it's got some heavy social commentary to boot. It does drag a bit here and there, but Werner Pochath gives the role his all and is genuinely creepy and committed to the performance.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/28/18

GRIZZLY (1976)

[​IMG]

Running out of time in this October horror marathon. Thankfully I watch horror year round as I'm sure most people here do. Felt like a good time to throw on another animal attack film. That and I was eager to see how this new Scorpion Blu-ray compared to the previous one.

A vast national park in the mountains of Georgia has become the playground for a rampaging grizzly bear. Chief ranger Michael Kelly (Christopher George) is responsible for getting this situation under control. Rather than delegate everything, he is very often out there hands on involved. Mountain man naturalist Arthur Scott (Richard Jaeckel) is also available. The animal skin wearing Scott is an authority on bears and announces they are looking for a prehistoric bear of unearthly proportions. That theory doesn't go over well. At least Kelly has an Army veteran helicopter pilot (Andrew Prine) to cover the endless miles of hiding spots.

There's no denying that Grizzly is a Jaws rip-off. Whether that's your preferred term or if you say "shameless cash-in" - there's no denying the entertainment value to be found. Comparisons between the two are pretty pointless in my opinion. We're talking a $750,000.00 exploitation flick versus a $9,000,000.00 Spielberg mega-blockbuster. You could get away with some pretty wild content in 1970's PG rated films. Here is your further proof. The bear attacks are swift, but rather bloody stuff for the rating level (one features limb dismemberment). The mother and child encounter cannot be overlooked. The musical score is amusing in that it conveys a "family friendly" vibe.

Christopher George is no stranger to fans of 70's and 80's horror cinema. Good as he was in the following year's Day of the Animals (1977), George is in top genre form. Richard Jaeckel has more to do in Grizzly than he did in Day of the Animals. The quirky aspects of his character are welcome here. Andrew Prine is another valuable asset. As an old pro in the genre, he brings some level of credibility even if his pilot tells the occasional tall tale.

The real life bear used in the film was 11 feet tall. Characters in the film say he is 15 feet tall. The poster image above claims 18 feet tall. I've found it more fun to suspend disbelief and just say "Yeah." Size issues aside, Grizzly is my favorite Jaws rip-off film. This new remastered release from Scorpion is a major upgrade from the 2015 disc. Highly recommended for fans!

Kim Bruun, hulkyduck, maskull and 4 others like this.
  7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

October 28th:

Dead In The Water (2018) (DVR / SyFy) - This is the last of this month's SyFy Original Movies, and unfortunately they go out with a whimper. I thought it was pretty boring for the most part. This one involves a ship with an all-female crew who pick up a man adrift in the ocean. Turns out the man is infected with some sort of parasite and The Thing rip-offs abound. When it comes to allegory here, there’s no such thing as subtlety. The director is no stranger to the SyFy Original, having directed two of last year's movies (the fun Neverknock and the not-so-fun Stickman), as well as the excellent indie Shallow Ground. In fact, I counted 13 SyFy Originals in his filmography!

GUILTY.JPG

The Guilty (2018) (VOD) - This played at a film festival I attended over the summer, but I had conflicting showtimes with both screenings. I was really bummed I missed it, because I've heard glowing things about it from everyone I know who saw it there. I should have waited for November as it's not exactly horror, but I couldn't wait. I may have overhyped it for myself, but I still thought it was an excellent movie. It takes place entirely inside an emergency call center and follows a demoted police officer turned dispatcher who receives a call from a kidnapped woman, with his only resource to save her being his phone. It's very engaging, a thriller driven entirely by dialogue and sound design. Go for The Call if you want a more exploitative telling of this tale, but give this a try if you're looking for a more mature and thoughtful version.

[​IMG]

Lightning Bug (2004) (blu-ray) - This is one of my favorite October movies, even if it isn't aggressively seasonal. It's not even a horror movie. The movie follows an Alabama teenager with aspirations of doing horror movie make-up effects in Hollywood, but is stuck in his oppressive narrow-minded small town. When he's not squaring off with his abusive stepfather, he's butting heads with a religious zealot (who is also his girlfriend's mother, a terrific performance by Shannon Eubanks) determined to close down the Halloween spookhouse. I was lucky enough to catch this theatrically, and I've tried to revisit it annually since. Robert Hall is better known for his Laid To Rest slashers, but this is his masterpiece. I can't recommend this enough! Wonderful movie!

You Episode 8 "You Got Me, Babe" (DVR / Lifetime) - Still my favorite thing on TV. This episode was kind of filler (what does a modern stalker do when his stalkee deletes their Facebook? And can he move on?) but ends with a cliffhanger that majorly sets up the thriller aspects to come: What happened to Candace?

I also started watching Satan’s Little Helper (2004) on DVD, but fell asleep halfway through. Not because I didn’t like it (I love it), I was just really tired.

October 29th:

BOLTNECK.JPG

Boltneck (2000) (VHS) - I found this VHS in storage above the garage and set it aside for closer to Halloween. I first saw it as a teenager, so revisiting it gave me a bit of nostalgia, but if you don't have that connection with it you'll probably hate it. Let's talk about this cast though. Ryan Reynolds (yes, that Ryan Reynolds) plays a bullied teenager who dies after accidentally falling into an empty pool. Matthew Lawrence (Tales From The Darkside: The Movie, Pulse, Mrs. Doubtfire) plays Frank Stein, teenage scientist who helps the two bullies (one being Justin Walker aka Christian from Clueless) remove this dead teenager from their pool by bringing him back to life. So Frank Stein steals a brain from his father's science lab (his parents are played by Judge Reinhold and Shelley Duvall, by the way), unaware that the brain belonged to a serial killer. It's all capped off at a Halloween party with a guillotine. Richard Moll plays the father of Ryan Reynolds' character, and the popular girls at the high school include Christine Lakin (Step By Step) and Bianca Lawson (Bones, Dead & Breakfast, Buffy The Vampire Slayer). Oh yeah, and Charles Fleischer is the teacher. Fun cast in a mediocre movie, but it's entertaining enough if you're in the right mindset.

[​IMG]

UNINVITED.JPG

The Uninvited
    (1944) (blu-ray) - Classic ghost story. I had seen it several times as a kid when it used to air constantly on AMC (back when AMC was what TCM is today), but hadn't seen it since. Thoroughly enjoyed revisiting it. Extremely tame by today's standards, but Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey have charming sibling banter that keep the movie fun and afloat. Often credited as the first haunted house movie to take the genre seriously, yet it still ends on a punchline from Milland.

The Nanny (2018) (DVR / SyFy) - This was a movie produced by Chiller Films, presumably to air on their channel after a limited VOD run. The problem is, Chiller closed up shop before this was ever released! It premiered on VOD earlier this year, then quietly slipped onto the SyFy channel in a random time slot (I think it was 8:30AM). Regardless, the movie isn't very good. Schuyler Fisk (daughter of Sissy Spacek) plays a mom who hires a strange new nanny who might be a fairy. Nicholas Brendon plays a father whose daughter was previously taken and is searching for the truth. Nice production values, but the movie is pretty blah and unremarkable.

ARIESCOPE.JPG

ArieScope Halloween Shorts (1998 - 2009) (Vimeo) - I'm a fan of Adam Green, Holliston, and his podcast The Movie Crypt, so I thought it might be fun to check out his annual Halloween shorts, with this year being the 20th anniversary. This was just my first sitting, so some of the early ones are a little rough, but I enjoyed them all to some extent. The first is Columbus Day Weekend, a fun slasher spoof featuring Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees. Steven's Room and Midnight are two of the more straight-faced horror entries, most have a sense of humor about them. The Tiffany Problem was fun and is supposedly one of Green's favorites. I watched up to Jack Chop, one of their most popular shorts with over 6 million views, which is funny but maybe a bit too shrill for my tastes. If you're interested, you can check them out here: http://ariescope.com/category/shorts/

October 30th:

SABRINA.JPG

Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina Chapter 7 - 10 "Feast Of Feasts" & "The Burial" & "The Returned Man" & "The Witching Hour" (NetFlix) - The problem with binging an entire season over a few days rather than getting an episode weekly is that we have even longer to wait for another season. Thoroughly enjoyed this series, and the last episode is pretty action packed. I still think Riverdale is better, but I loved the darker aesthetics of this. Some of the "monster of the week" episodes seem to borrow plots from classic horror, including Pet Sematary, Elm Street, The Exorcist, etc. It's all in good fun though. Worth mentioning, I watched these four episodes over two days, I just didn't feel like writing two separate entries.

The Curious Creations Of Christine McConnell
    Episodes 1 & 2 "Snacks For Strays" & "Gifts For Nosy Neighbors" (NetFlix) - I really love the idea of this show, but I'm not so crazy about the execution. The puppets are really cool, as are some of her curious creations, but for the most part it's a little boring. The sitcom aspect is not sharply written, and the problem with her "curious creations" that she shows you how to make are that there's no possible way your average joe could put this stuff together with things around the house. Everything she has made so far has required very specific special tools and heavy artistic talent.

Previous Entries:
    1.) Feral (2017)
    2.) You Might Be The Killer (2018)
    3.) No Escape Room (2018)
    4.) Hell Fest (2018)
    5.) The Witch Files (2018)
    6.) Hold The Dark (2018)
    7.) Creeped Out Episodes 1 & 2 "Marti" & "Slapstick"
    8.) American Horror Story: Apocalypse Episodes 4 & 5 "Could It Be... Satan?" & "Boy Wonder"
    9.) Tales From The Hood 2 (2018)
    10.) The Mummy An' The Armadillo (2004)
    11.) The Walking Dead Season 9 "A New Beginning"
    12.) Creeped Out Episodes 3 & 4 "Kindlesticks" & "Bravery Badge"
    13.) Bram Stoker's Shadowbuilder (1998)
    14.) The Body (2018)
    15.) The Purge Episodes 5 & 6 "Rise Up" & "The Forgotten"
    16.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 1 & 2 "Steven Sees A Ghost" & "Open Casket"
    17.) Slash (2002)
    18.) Light As A Feather Episodes 1 - 3 "Stiff As A Board" & "Pretty As A Picture" & "Dead As A Doornail"
    19.) Creeped Out Episodes 5 & 6 "Cat Food" & "Trolled"
    20.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 3 & 4 "Touch" & "The Twin Thing"
    21.) Knuckleball (2018)
    22.) Light As A Feather Episodes 4 – 7 "Dark As The Night" & "Mad As A Hatter" & "Troubled As The Tide" & "Right As Rain"
    23.) Cucuy: The Boogeyman (2018)
    24.) Creeped Out Episodes 7 & 8 "Shed No Fear" & "The Call"
    25.) Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (2018)
    26.) Bad Times At The El Royale (2018)
    27.) You Episodes 4 - 6 "The Captain" & "Living With The Enemy" & "Amour Fou"
    28.) The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 2 "The Bridge"
    29.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 5 & 6 "The Bent-Neck Lady" & "Two Storms"
    30.) Malevolence (2003)
    31.) Light As A Feather Episodes 8 - 10 "Cold As Ice" & "Innocent As A Lamb" & "Slippery As An Eel"
    32.) Eli Roth’s History Of Horror Episode 1 "Zombies"
    33.) I Still See You (2018)
    34.) The Roost (2005)
    35.) Malevolence 2: Bereavement Director’s Cut (2010)
    36.) He’s Out There (2018)
    37.) Karma (2018)
    38.) Sleep No More (2018)
    39.) Extremity (2018)
    40.) Malevolence 3: Killer (2018)
    41.) Jack-O (1995)
    42.) American Horror Story: Apocalypse Episode 6 "Return To Murder House"
    43.) The Purge Episode 7 "Lovely Dark And Deep"
    44.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 7 & 8 "Eulogy” & “Witness Marks"
    45.) Halloween (1978)
    46.) Miss Leslie’s Dolls (1973)
    47.) Halloween (2018)
    48.) Halloween (2018)
    49.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 9 & 10 "Screaming Meemies" & "Silence Lay Steadily"
    50.) The Babysitter (2017)
    51.) All Hallows' Eve 2 (2015)
    52.) Killer High (2018)
    53.) Creeped Out Episodes 9 & 10 "A Boy Called Red" and "Spaceman"
    54.) Mr Mercedes Season Two Episodes 6 & 7 "Proximity" & "Fell On Black Days"
    55.) The Simpsons Treehouse Of Horror XXIX
    56.) Blood Harvest (1987)
    57.) American Nightmare (2002)
    58.) You Episode 7 "Everythingship"
    59.) The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 3 "Warning Signs"
    60.) Eli Roth’s History Of Horror Episode 2 "Slashers (Part 1)"
    61.) Mr. Mercedes Season 2 Episodes 8 & 9 "Nobody Puts Brady In A Crestmore" & "Walk Like A Man"
    62.) Def By Temptation (1990)
    63.) HauntedWeen (1991)
    64.) Haunted Episodes 1 & 2 "The Woman In White" & "The Slaughterhouse"
    65.) Eli Roth's History Of Horror Episode 3 "Slashers (Part 2)"
    66.) Channel Zero: Butcher's Block Episodes 1 - 3 "Insidious Onset" & "Father Time" & "All You Ghost Mice"
    67.) House aka Hausu (1977)
    68.) Haunted Episode 3 & 4 "Demon In The Dark" & "Children Of The Well"
    69.) The Goldbergs "Mister Knifey-Hands"
    70.) Mr. Boogedy (1986)
    71.) Bride Of Boogedy (1987)
    72.) American Horror Story: Apocalypse Episode 7 "Traitor"
    73.) Haunted Episodes 5 & 6 "Alien Infection" & "Stolen Gravestone"
    74.) Riverdale Season Three Chapters Thiry-Six - Thirty-Eight "Labor Day" & "Fortune And Men’s Eyes" & "As Above, So Below"
    75.) Mr. Mercedes Season Two Episode 10 "Fade To Blue"
    76.) Trick Or Treat (1986)
    77.) The Hazing (2004)
    78.) Creeped Out Episodes 11 - 13 "The Traveller" & "Side Show (Part 1 & 2)"
    79.) The Halloween Tree (1993)
    80.) What The Waters Left Behind (2017)
    81.) The Witch In The Window (2018)
    82.) Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina Chapters 1 - 6 "October Country" & "The Dark Baptism" & "The Trial Of Sabrina Spellman" & "Witch Academy" & "Dreams In A Witch House" & "An Exorcism In Greendale"

8. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

And the crank slowly turns as the month draws to a ghastly close. Ratings are out of ****.

10/27/18 - The Good Neighbor (2016) **1/2
    Two young punk wanna-be psychology researchers rig an elderly neighbor’s house to simulate a haunting, but his reactions aren't what they expected. Pushed to blind rage, the old man laces up roller skates and shoulder pads, calls in his alien partner, then beats the crap out of the brats leaving them bleeding next to a fire hydrant.

The film description and setup partly keeps hidden its genre until the very end - horror, thriller, drama, vengeance? - yet reveals its hand way too early by flashing forward to future scenes. I understand the reasoning, to have linear chronology would have resulted in a fairly dull end segment. The problem is the rest of the film is much like a real world surveillance - lots of dull waiting for something to happen, space with repetitive talk regarding minor personal conflicts. Very little actually happens, and when it does it is far too brief.

The revelation is potent (if rather rote) and gives a welcome dose of James Caan returning to dramatic form. But it is a small payoff for a long slog. Tamlyn Tomita and Laura Innes provide "hey, I recognize them!" nostalgia moments, only the latter is provided a scrap of real script meat to chew on.

10/28/18 - Sleep Tight (2011) ****
    A man who finds no satisfaction in living strives to make the residents and coworkers of the apartment building he works share his condition. His covert campaign to sow misery, doubt, and fear is defied by one woman's perpetually upbeat demeanor.

A shocking portrayal of a most insidious invasion of personal space and security. Even as the noose tightens on him as his actions gain notice, the villain subjects his prime target to an escalation of stalking, infiltration, and sabotage.

The climax is pure, skin crawling evil, a perpetration of life wrecking intimate betrayal that had me wanting to scrub my brain clean long after the credits rolled. Near certain this will be the best movie I've watched this marathon, and I'm in no hurry to ever watch it again.

10/29/18 - Cub (2014) **1/2
    A group of scouts go off the trail to set up camp near a not quite abandoned factory.

Like the characters, this film doesn't tread down the expected path. A feral kid and a homicidal hermit in the woods has all the ear marks for trope checklist ticking. Instead there is a mash up of a sadistic scout master, twisted booby traps, an odd underground complex, and a pocket version of Lord of the Flies.

The issue is the result doesn't make sense, in either the events or the character motivations. Why people do what they do, how things lead to where they go, are as excessively odd and elaborate as the mechanical devices the forest is rigged with. But it plays out so briskly and mesmerizingly bizarre it distracts from the irrationality, the film deserving a much lower rating if it weren't so damn engaging.

Victor Crowley (2017) **1/2
    The undying murderous mongoloid is back to turn swamp trespassers into fountains of blood.

Yet another tongue in cheek slasher, slightly shaking up the usual expectations of who the victims will be. Silly, fun, but not really funny, this is strictly popcorn fare good for time wasting amusement.

hulkyduck, maskull, Rocker10 and 4 others like this.
  9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Two of my favorite movies of the last few years, though I think I enjoyed Cub more than you apparently did. Sleep Tight's DVD also has one of the best making-of documentaries ever, told in stages of script writing to pre-production to filming to post. About the best story of how a movie is made, beginning to end, that I've ever seen. And I really dug the Buckcherry song on the soundtrack, Next 2 You. Although that's only my second favorite song with that title...

hulkyduck, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  10. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

CPT HOOK, I'm really glad you like Sabrina, because I do, too! I was sold from the opening credits, which pull directly from the new comic (that the show is also based on). Recommend giving the graphic novel a chance, as it's even darker.

Oct. 29th

The Ritual (2017)

[​IMG]

After the aforementioned Sabrina, The Ritual may be the biggest surprise for me in my, albeit limited, October viewings this year. A buddy recommended it, saying the design of the creature was especially impressive. Agreed! The plot is something we, by now, are all familiar with:

Group of four friends go on an extended hike, get lost in the woods, and bad shit starts to happen.

But the execution is where it all impressed me. There is a tragedy at the heart of the group and it haunts them, especially the lead, Luke. The way director David Bruckner weaves moments from that tragedy into the present-day works so well. And the forest is vast and eerie...until it becomes menacing. While a seasoned horror viewer may not experience anything "new" here (aside from the cool creature), the way it all works together really kept me in the moment; it kept me asking myself, "What would I do if I were here"--start to finish, I asked myself this, across various predicaments and horrors. Also, my wife screamed three times. Recommended!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    hulkyduck, maskull, Rocker10 and 5 others like this.
  11. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

I think enjoyed is probably the best description of how I experienced Cub. I enjoyed it, but was not really moved by it. It just wasn't a well designed story, being more an exercise in keeping the viewer off balance by plot path convolutions and incoherence. Back stories were hinted at then dropped on the floor, characters wore their motivations without explanation and sometimes without consistency, and some events seemed to progress "just because". I was never certain if the plot was half baked, or intentionally supposed to be unfathomable. Even the beginning is the end was a bit pointless. The whole affair was like an amusement park ride - chaotic yet memorable, superficial yet exhilarating. Its the resulting wild ride that left me glad I watched the film, even as I lamented how much better it could have been.

hulkyduck, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  12. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 29th-

[​IMG]
    SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 29 - GANGS: One where a group of ne'er-do-wells do some serious menacing.
    Months almost over, damn. The challenge has been fun. Class of 1984 is a favorite. And that Lisa Langlois! Man oh man. I enjoy Class of 1999 a whole lot as well. There's no way you'd get away with making a film like Class of 1984 now.

[​IMG]

13. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 30

I thought I was gonna slow down, but got quite a few in the last couple of days.

123. The Toxic Avenger (1984) Amazon Prime-Probably the first Troma Team Release I saw back in the day. Lots of goofy shit and gore. Don't remember liking the sequels as much as this one. Brainless fun here.

124. Victor Crowley (2017) Blu-Forgot I had this one until this month. Like the Hatchet series. This is similar to the rest in style. Liked it.

125. Thir13en Ghosts (2001) DVD-I don't think I have watched this one sinceI bought the DVD back when it first came out. Saw Maskull's post earlier and thought I would revisit. Definitely a different take on haunted house movies. Kind of average.

126. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) Blu-A classic here. Good story. Had not seen this in a very loooong time. Nice to be catching some of these after so many years.

127. The Unborn (1991) Blu-First time watch. Back to back Brooke Adams movies tonight. This wasn't too bad.

128. Troll (1986) Blu-Figured I would end the night with some B-movie goofiness. This is just a bad movie, but that makes it entertaining. Almost made me wish I had thrown in Ghoulies instead.

Was giving it some thought tonight. I really need to spend more time with my collection. I do this binge every year, but watch very little the rest of the year. I think I am going to try a bit harder to spend more time with each set. Watch the movie and then dig in to the features. I enjoy that stuff. Not with modern films. To me, things get much more interesting after time has passed. For me, that's where the rubber hits the road. So that's my plan. Tomorrow will definitely be the first Halloween movie. I usually do it earlier, but felt that watching Halloween on Halloween would be even better!

~Rocker10

CPT HOOK, fattyjoe37, hots4 and 7 others like this.
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG][​IMG]
    29 10/21 Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1973)
    The final entry in Hammer's Frankenstein series and they cut loose a bit so it's a fun one at that. We get to see Frankenstein perform a number of different surgeries throughout and there's more black humor here than the rest of the Cushing series combined. Unfortunately I did not get to see the uncut version which would have added even more. And even more unfortunate Madeline Smith has little to do. But Cushing's given plenty as always. Also for the first time in the Hammer series we have Frankenstein proposing that any headway they've made should be taken advantage of now before the creature de-evolves further and have it breed... Again all you'd get is that Neanderthal's progeny. You wouldn't get the artist's hands nor the mathematician's brains. And that should be obvious to any one with any medical knowledge. Up until now Hammer's Frankenstein's goal was always just proving life can be restored and limps replaced. Speaking of, David Prowse is back and the poor guy must have been hunched over the entire shoot; why cast a tall slim man for a short bulky role? While the Monster's make up looks great it soon becomes ridiculous when it talks and its jaws don't move... Then it keeps talking, a lot, eloquently might I add... And still its jaw doesn't move. I mean, come on EFX guys, cut the mask one more time and spirit gum the chins together is it THAT hard? Planet of the Apes did it five year ago! He comes off more like Beast from X-Men and what may have looked good in ad campaigns is now rather laughable. Are we really to believe Frankenstein expects this hairy neanderthal to be presentable to the scientific community? After how many years of failure to persuade them? At the close of the Cushing series perhaps it is fitting that he's housed in the maze of an asylum as he's lost all perspective. Even his wig is absurd at this point and from what I know of Cushing he was very particular about the hair pieces he selected for each role so I can't help but believe he saw the man's slide into delusions of grandeur. As the final film of the series it has an odd TV pilot feel to it like we'd be able to tune in next week to see what other zany situations our moxie crew will get into. Like the previous Horror of Frankenstein we get an open ended finale for what proved to be the final nail in the coffin. It's somewhat too bad because Cushing proved ready, willing and able to continue the charade for quite a few more years but this is something of a high note and maybe it is better this way. Unlike the Dracula series which really floundered and audiences walked away from each succeeding film more and more disappointed.

[​IMG]
    Goodbye Doctor. Hello Nurse!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    30 10/22 The Horror of Frankenstein (1970)
    After over a decade of Cushing lead Frankenstein films Hammer decided to hit the hard reboot button to cast the Baron as a dashing young man and christen this with the American name for the first Dracula, Horror of. Ralph Bates takes the clinical approach a bit too far and seems rather bored throughout the picture. Without the right charm he just becomes dull and the rest of the movie becomes just as lifeless. Even though there's some good humor sprinkled through out it also just doesn't come off as very funny (I did like the gravedigger's wife) . And it is odd that a horn dog like Frankenstein is completely disinterested in Veronica Carlson. I guess he only like brunettes? Suspension of disbelief can only go so far. David Prowse does make a formidable Monster and his make up looked like the kind of misguided creation a man of Frankenstein's caliber would stitch together. I especially liked the zig-zag pattern stitching his arms to his torso. He's an unsympathetic killing machine however; a far cry from the pathos achieved in previous adaptations. And ultimately that's the downfall of this film. We don't care about Frankenstein's struggles, The Monster's plight or even Carlson's unrequited love. It had some nice production values, spending more assuming they'd kick off a fresh series of sequels I'm sure. And the final payoff is also rather vexing for audiences as Hammer's most inconsequential finale yet for our Baron and ironically they never continued opting instead to resume with Cushing three years later (see above).

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    31 10/23 Sam Sherman Presents, Dracula vs. Frankenstein (1971)
    Starts off with a poorly filmed opener by the producer Sam Sherman where he does a good job setting us up for a fun mood and perhaps setting our expectation a bit lower. He's got nothing but nice things to say about Al Adamson, the cast and the crew involved. Sherman sounds like a bloke who just enjoyed making monster movies. House of Frankenstein alumni J. Carrol Nash and Lon Chaney Jr. are together again but this time Nash is the master as Dr. Frankenstein and Chaney is the muscle. They're still as captivating as ever here with all their scenes still a joy to behold. As such I enjoyed the Doctor story line more than the Dracula/Monster one which was more or less tagged on. An old wax works barked by a midget, naked girls being experimented on, and some bikers running amok for good measure. Sounds like a winner to me. More than likely we only ended up watching the strongest footage for this original story line but still it would be cool to watch the original film before the Dracula/Monster story line was added. While the afro rocking Dracula is a bit hokey I kinda like the moldy old Monster here looking like he hasn't had a bath in 200 years. He's practically the Mummy by now. The final showdown is pretty good though. They actually paid to have some optical FX work done and spent the time to make the classic melting Dracula. I put off buying the Blu-ray because I know it's kinda lame but after watching this again after so many years and seeing screenshots of the new HD transfer I might just have to spring for an upgrade after all.

And doing image search for Dracula vs. Frankenstien circa 1971 I'm regretting that I didn't set aside the time to watch the Franco Frankenstein features. I'll have to save those for next season.
    [​IMG]

15. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 27:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

95) Bone Tomahawk (2015): So I think this barely would count as a horror film. It's definitely a western. It's kind of like The Searchers except the natives are vicious cannibals. So yeah it's got horror elements to it. But for me I just really liked the western part of the movie. Kurt Russell, Matthew Fox, Richard Jenkins (the actual star of this movie), Patrick Wilson, (with an assist from Sid Haig and David Arquette). I could have totally watched an entire movie of these people just riding around, being all cowboy-y, eating beans, and shooting bandits. With a lot of bloody kills and great lines from Richard Jenkins.

96) Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (2014): I keep seeing that this is a cross of Road Warrior meets Dawn of the Dead. Personally I'd go more with Day of the Dead with a bit of Resident Evil and yes, Road Warrior. Road Warrior especially because the filmmakers totally pay tribute (lifted in a loving way) to a couple of scenes from that movie. And the car and clothes look like something from it as well. This is a fun Australian horror zombie movie with buckets of blood, an evil scientist, bad army dudes, lots of humour, action, and super powers.

97) Night of the Creeps (1986): A nice Drive-In Creature Feature/Alien Invasion Movie throwback with icky, slimy slug-like creatures that possess people and turn them into zombies. Great practical effects, including a zombie dog and cat, and a ball of slugs near the end that I'll admit really grossed me out. Plus, a scene with a lawnmower...if you know what I mean. I was pretty tired while watching this so my enjoyment wasn't as high as the last time I watched this. I guess I should've taken a nap.

98) Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013): Bloody, gory and a dude wearing a dead skin mask and carrying a chainsaw (which he uses). Sure it's pretty dumb and that finale doesn't completely make sense (though I am buying it a bit more this time around), but I'm not all beholden to the TCM lore. Heck, the other TCM movies aren't beholden to TCM lore. So I just enjoyed this as a fun slasher flick. I think it works pretty well that way. The "cuz" line is really bad though.

99) Blair Witch (2016): I keep trying to force myself to like this movie. I love the original and the sequel so much and I really want to love (or at least like) this movie as well, but I just don't. I never felt the need to spend more time in the house in the woods. I never felt the need to see the Blair Witch. All of this is better left to the imagination. This movie doesn't deal with imagination at all. It's all jump scares, effects, no slow build up to the dread, and the need to show you everything you may not really want to see.

100) Demons (1985): The Italians do horror right. Any movie that features a dude on a dirt bike, riding up and down the aisles of a movie theatre, chopping down demons with a samurai sword while some lovely heavy metal plays, is pretty much the perfect movie for me. Plus, Bob makes an appearance at the end. Demons RULEZ!!!

Workshed, Rocker10, CPT HOOK and 8 others like this.
  16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

30th - October Madness No.48 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 30 - SLASH YOUR FACE: A solo maniac is out to get ya. You can run but you can't hide!
    [​IMG]

Prom Night (1980) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5
    It's Disco Madness! Hot off the success of Halloween, Jamie Lee Curtis continues her rise with the second film in her scream queen trilogy (Terror Train being her next project after this) with Prom Night. Getting ready for the big senior prom, a group of high schoolers are being stalked and offed one by one by someone with a grudge. Prom Night is one of the quintessential Canadian slashers and a colourful (though hazy), fun, and thrilling film. Jamie Lee shines, Leslie Nielsen is great, and that sparkly balaclava and axe combo are memorable. Just don't boogie too hard, or your head might roll!

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Don't forget that you get to see former child actress Nicoletta Elmi (Deep Red, Bay of Blood, Andy Warhol's Frankenstein, Baron Blood) all growed up.

18. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 30th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

77) Lords of Salem

78) It Follows

79) [REC]

80) WNUF Halloween Special

Rocker10, indrid13, maskull and 2 others like this.
  19. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

Well guys as i write this it is nearly 5 P.M and i am just about to get ready to go to work so these will be my final filmsfor this years marathon. Thanks to everybody who contributed and you all have given me a lot of ideas on what to watch soon and for next years marathon. On a side note i would like to say this forum and the people on it are the ultimate horror fans and leaves more so called popular sites in the dust when it comes to love of Horror films and thats why i keep returning to this site for the marathon every year.

This year my Favorite first time watches were Eyeball and Pieces, its great when you find films you fall in love with and i am sure i will find more in the years to come.

On that note i would like to wish everybody a Happy Halloween and wish you all the very best of luck in the future.

50. An American Werewolf In London (1981)
    Blu Ray . Over the years I have not been the biggest fan of werewolf movies only this film , the original Wolfman , The Beast Must Die and Dog Soldiers have been the only ones that have really stood out for me , im sure there have been loads i have missed and pretty sure you guys on this board could recommend a few good ones for me to catch up on.

This Film though is one i love , it is the perfect blend of horror and comedy , not laugh out loud but very dark humour. I dont think the transformation scene has or can be topped and the main characters are all very likeable and the film moves along at a brisk pace with a climax that is perfect.

I.M.O this is John Landis's best film and feels like a british production , Landis captures the british sense of humour perfectly.

9/10

51. Halloween (2018) First Time Viewing
    Caught this at a small local cinema here in Scotland , they hade a special showing late last night so went to that instead of waiting till Halloween to watch this. The Cinema was full of Halloween fans so it was good to watch with them rather than people who just wanted to watch a scary film.

Since this was announced i have been waiting excitely but at the same time dreading that if it bombed they would totally kill this franchise off. This is my Favorite Film Franchise period so it had a lot to live up to and going into this with a lot of expectation i am pleased to say this film rocks.

Ill start off with the theme , it felt true to the original theme , updated but they did not move to far from the original , very good start. On to Michael , It Felt that he was a force of nature like in the original film , ive seen some reviews where it said that he was just going about killing randomly , i did'nt feel that and for me it felt like he was honning his skills and getting ready for his championship fight in fact there was scenes of Laurie training for the big showdown too, felt like the training scenes for a Rocky movie.

Laurie also felt truer to her character here than in H20 and had shades of Linda Hamiton in T2. The climax was amazing too , tense and suspenseful and without spoiling it too much there was a cheer in the cinema when Michael and Laurie's roles became reversed.

The only things i did not like were the replacement for Loomis , the Doctors motivation did not make sense and he was used as a plot device to get Michael to the final fight instead of being a character that fitted into the plot and that plot point did have everybody scratching their head a little and i felt they overdid it with the references to the first film it felt like the wee going down the force awakens route, which i suppose all in all not a bad thing when you see how successful that was.

All in all i really enjoyed this but wont know till ive seen it a few times if its going to last the test of time and they good thing is since its made a ton of money we should have more Halloween further down the line.

It will be interesting to see where they take it from here.

8.5/10

52. Suspiria (1977)
    My Final film in this years marathon watched this in preparation to see the remake when it lands on our shore. The new film has a lot to live up to and i hope its a success so it brings to new fans to Dario Argento's work which in turn speeds up a new Argento flick.

Not much can be said about about this film that has not been covered in here, Just that its rare that every part of the film works in tandem perfectly like this. Not just my favorite Argento film but one of the best horror films ever made.

9.5/10

Workshed, Natas, Rocker10 and 6 others like this.
  20. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #34:
    Prom Night (1980)
    Rewatch (Amazon Prime)
    ** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    30. SLASH YOUR FACE: A solo maniac is out to get ya. You can run but you can’t hide!