The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2018!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2018.

1. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #29:
    Halloween (2018)
    First time viewing (Theater)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    25. INSTITUTIONALIZED: An antagonist from the funny farm.

I’m only old enough to have seen this franchise from Resurrection on in the theater, so I am happy to say I’ve finally seen a good Halloween movie theatrically! This isn’t as good or as bad as I’ve heard many say. Part 4 is still my favorite sequel, but this is up there. The music was amazing, the stalk-and-slash sequences were solid, and I actually liked some of the teen characters. That said, for being the reunion of Laurie and Michael, Laurie didn’t really get as much screen time as you’d expect and stayed fairly one note. I like this interpretation of the character more, but will say that she has a better arc in H20. Also the “new Loomis” and podcaster characters grated at times. I’m listening to the soundtrack now and will have fun rewatching in the future.

hulkyduck, CPT HOOK, maskull and 5 others like this.
  2. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 25th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

64) Halloween (2018): I was skeptically optimistic going into this, and the trailers didn't 100% sell me on this being good, but I walked away pleasantly surprised and I'm in agreement with many here that this is easily one of the best sequels in the "Halloween" franchise. The true essence of what made the original work is recaptured here - to a certain degree - with Jamie Lee and Nick Castle reprising there roles without missing a beat. Carpenter's score here is fantastic and really complements the atmosphere David Gordan Green created. I also enjoyed all the little nods made to various films in the franchise, which were done tastefully and in context with the overall story, so they never felt like a giant distraction for fan service. It is a bit clunky in parts though, featuring some real out of place humor, those bumbling cops in particular took me completely out of the film for a minute, and the "Dr. Loomis" character who goes rouge toward the end didn't make any sense other than to give them an excuse to get Michael Meyers to Laurie's house, but otherwise I think the story unfolded quite well. The only thing here that really made me go "UGH!" was in the final few seconds for the film, and if they are going for what I think they are I am not sure how I feel about it
    As Laurie, her daughter and granddaughter are being taken away in the back of a cop car, the camera pans to the expressionless face of the granddaughter, who happens to be holding Michael's infamous kitchen knife, before cutting to black.
    Even with it's faults, I still had a grand time, as did the other people in attendance at the theater. do yourself a favor and see this with a crowd because it really amps up the entertainment value. (7/10)

65) Halloween (1978)

66) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

This set looks awesome! Loved DQ back in the day.

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  4. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

More write-ups trickle in, for a batch of uniformly strong films. Ratings are out of ****.

10/19/18 - Lair of the White Worm (1988) ***
    Originally to be titled Lair of the Black Worm, but the producers wouldn't sign off on the wide angle lens and longer running time.

Little introduction needed, and this was a Blu upgrade rewatch. Was jarringly reminded of the stiff acting of all but the leads Grant and Donohoe, but otherwise everything entertainingly fell into place. The deliriously campy attitude, the over the top erotic imagery and innuendo, the hilarious snake-monster hunting equipment list that apparently we should all know consists of mongoose and bag pipes and grenades. Grant shines as his usual smoothly snarky self, but it is Amanda Donohoe vamping it up that is front, back, and center (and I mean all three in a suggestive way) the star of this film.

10/20/18 - Cat People (1942) ***
    An odd loner with odd habits draws the romantic attention of a socially naive man, but their relationship is hampered by her inner beast.

Cultural aspects of the film are highly dated, such as typical early era film portrayals of courtship as unusually fast yet chaste. The husband is rather naive by writers intent on basic relationship concepts like consideration of a partner's privacy and ego, but then the plot sort of ignores that his actions are as much to blame for their growing distant as her odd behavior. And the film rather abruptly switches gears to emphasizing her as a monster, reducing to mostly lip service her being someone in need of help.

Regardless, the film is outstanding in most other respects. The build of dread and doom, the mesmerizing camera distance and angle shots, the use of shadows and sound. And the classic but rarely exceeded trope of a creature implied but never shown, leaving the reality question smartly unanswered even as the film closes.

10/21/18 - Incident in a Ghostland (2018) ***
    After a frantic call from her mentally disturbed sister, a horror author returns to her mother's home where long ago they were imprisoned and brutalized by a pair of lunatics.

The film sprints out the gate with an unreal slant. First the frequent and intentional early scene nods to other horror films (only a few I unambiguously got). The initial assault with the protagonist's cowering inaction as her family is battered and violated, the situation ending by improbable resolution. The time jump transition to a skeptically too tidy family setting. The return to the freakishly unchanged home. Throughout the early build up there is a constant vibe of something being wrong, until it dives full on brutal and bizarre as the situation repeatedly shifts with intentionally jarring transitions of reality.

The resolution is genre standard trope, elevated a bit by deft handling of the other genre trope of whether it really is the end or just another layer of madness induced unreality. Adding in solid acting, engaging characterizations, good pacing, shocking visuals, and deft twists the film is well worth a watch even if the ground it covers isn't new.

10/22/18 - Raw (2016) ***
    A young woman joins her older sister to enroll at a veterinary school, where a hazing ritual awakens a very unhealthy appetite.

A fair bit of realistically shocking gore and flinch worthy situations to be had, enhanced greatly by relatable characters and a smartly written social dynamics story of adjusting to new situations and harsh sibling betrayal. Inevitable comparisons to Ginger Snaps will be made, with this story playing out very differently with no slight to either.

The film ends with a rather weak resolution, but everything leading up is so magnificent it’s a forgivable flaw.

hulkyduck, CPT HOOK, maskull and 6 others like this.
  5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG][​IMG]
    23 10/17 Monster of Frankenstein ( Kyofu densetsu: Kaiki! Furankenshutain ) (1981)
    I picked this up a few years ago but never watched it so now's the time. It's a pretty straight forward adaption of the Marvel comics from the 70's without too much of an anime flair like Vampire Hunter D. It doesn't seem to stray too far from the book at first but soon you learn Frankenstein already has a family, a child, and that he's actually Frankenstein Jr. Don't know how closely it follows the Marvel comics but it does have more than a feel for the original novel here and there. Frankenstein's not charming in the least though as he's just a selfish coward so he garners little sympathy. And without good facial animation The Monster remains more of a brute. So you're mostly left feeling empathy for the daughter which is just too easy. It does get into a bizarre area with The Monster befriending Frankenstein's daughter and they have a Disney-esque sequence cooing some birds. There's some pretty laughable sequences of them running around playing together. So what was a decent build becomes somewhat lost. Then it all goes down hill for Frankenstein's daughter with several traumatic events with a dour final act that's about as cynical as I've ever witnessed. Surprising since this is mostly a positive message film. A bit of a mess and I can see why this creation was left on the way side. Still there's some beautiful backgrounds, some great suspenseful moments and thematically a good narrative. Would like to see a more polished version.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    24 10/18 Frankenweenie 3D (2012)
    Hadn't seen this since it got chased out of the theaters; I enjoyed it then and still do now. The original short was an absolute favorite of mine growing up when I use to rent it endlessly on VHS. So I was doubtful that a burned out Tim Burton could deliver the goods in what was at the time a dying medium. But instead what we got was a real shot in the arm and I have to credit that mostly to John August for writing a witty screenplay that saw the potential in the situation. It opens with a fun little home movie of Sparky and I like how they channeled everything through the center speaker for that mono feel. Who hasn't tried to shoot a home movie with their pets and this nod to 3D in early was a great way to plant its tongue firmly in cheek. I laughed more watching this film than I had in a long time. It helps when jokes are true to life instead of referencing pop culture which too many cartoons tend to do now. One of the great things about the story was that all the kids were freaks and instead of wringing out another kids film about popularity as expected the plot devotes its time backing science education initiatives. Martin Landau has several great scenes where he gets to ham it up as a scientist. And in 2012 that message was in dire need. It fell mostly on death ears unfortunately but we're seeing this message heralded by younger generations today. A remake that was ahead of its time? That's quite the amazing feet and I hope this film gets some reevaluation as the years go by. We may see yet another Disney film like Hocus Pocus or Nightmare Before Christmas that generation after generation captures a larger share of the mainstream audience.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    25 10/19 Young Frankenstein (1974)
    Everyone knows Mel Brooks and the man's success is readily apparent. But one of the amazing feats of the man is the fact that in 1974 he made not one but two of the highest grossing films of that year: Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein. Both films were dark horse entries; a low brow comedy and black and white comedy. Neither were expected to earn much and Blazing Saddles was almost dumped by Warner. But they were smash hits. With that said, this is Gene Wilder's creation and the love of the genre is what really sells it. Wilder's able to keep that balance of camp while being the straight man through most of the proceedings. Many of his monologues outshines even the great Cushing and Karloff in their earnestness. And there are some eerie moments here like when Igor hangs the sketch of The Monster and releases it letting it sway; then they dissolve to the hanging Creature from a noose. As a kid it scared the hell outta me when all the adult jokes were going way over my head. I was surprised to learn this was over ninety minutes because it plays so briskly with so many jokes it's hard to get a breath in. A great complement to a comedy and it's no wonder this film still has a life of its own.

"You know that movie, Young Frankenstein? Scared the hell out of me!"
    [​IMG]
    I always think of this moment between Homer and Mel Brooks; it's funny 'cause it's true!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

25th - October Madness No.39 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 25 -INSTITUTIONALIZED: An antagonist from the funny farm.
    [​IMG]

Nightmare (1981) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5
    Romano Scavolini's Nightmare (aka Nightmares in a Damaged Brain) is pretty much a sleazier and grimier 42nd Street version of John Carpenter's Halloween where we have an institutionalized individual who escapes and returns home, killing those in their path, while the doctors and police try and track them down. While Nightmare has the distinction of putting a face to its antagonist until he dons a mask near the end, the echoes to Halloween are very apparent. Luckily though it doesn't feel like a complete rip-off and instead rises above its copycat scenarios and works because of Baird Stafford's uninhibited performance, its seedy underbelly, and commitment to it's wallowing in grue and gore. It's far from a fun movie, but it's definitely one that shocks and leaves an impression.

7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Tonight

The Incubus

A small town's doctor takes matters into his own hands after a series of gruesome and bizarre rape crimes perplex the clueless authorities.

I was interested in getting the Vinegar syndrome release, then saw it was on amazon prime, so decided to view on prime before dropping cash, glad I did.

Anthony Bourdain, sorry John Cassavetes plays the doctor who pretty much takes the whole case on himself, barging into people's houses like he owns them and interviewing people when he likes and on his terms, police and warrant's be damned.

I'm not sure of his acting chops, as I've not seen him in anything else, but he's kind of creepy, spending most of the movie with this vacant grinning expression, it was unnerving, he could definitely play the psycho!

He has a strange relationship with his daughter, constantly telling her he loves her, with her replying that she won't leave him and the way he comes on to the reporter and some of his lines were pretty repulsive, I was never sure what they trying to achieve/portray here.

As for the rest of the movie, well it moves at a brisk pace, there's a bit if blood, most kills happening off screen apart from one in the middle, and I enjoyed the ending, it went where I didn't expect and I like it ended on a cliffhanger.

On the whole, it was ok, the ending was the best bit, glad I watched, but also as I mentioned at the beginning glad I didn't purchase it.

hulkyduck, CPT HOOK, maskull and 3 others like this.
  8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

[​IMG]

9. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 25th-

[​IMG]
    SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 25 -INSTITUTIONALIZED: An antagonist from the funny farm.
    For me this is a classic slasher film. Near perfection. It's in my October rotation almost every year. I love it more then the first film since it was the first one I saw in the franchise.

10. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 26

Been off work all week and have to go back Monday which sucks. Got some good viewing in. Probably still get some in before Monday, but I may have to slow it down as we head in to the last 3 days.

101. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006) Blu-I had really never heard of this one until I saw it mentioned here upon Shout's announcement. Seemed people liked it so it ended up as a blind buy. I liked the concept and found the movie to be enjoyable. Glad I grabbed it.

102. Demons (1985) Blu-Rowdy movie with a killer soundtrack.

103. Demons 2 (1986) Blu-Liked the first one better, but this was okay as well. The two movies are worth checking out from time to time so glad I have them.

104. The Messengers (2007) Blu-I had forgot why I even bought this years ago. After checking out IMDB and seeing Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert's names, I figure that was why I grabbed it. Both were in producer roles. Move was decent. Had its creepy moments. Nice to get a refresh on it as I have had it since it was new more than likely.

105. The Innkeepers (2011) Blu-Just got this upgraded. I was going to buy a copy after I streamed it last year, but the price went back to normal before I had the chance. It went back down to almost half price, so I bought one. I like this movie. Like the characters and the story. Has its creepy moments, but obviously a little less impact after seeing it once already.

106. Donnie Darko (2001) Blu-I had never seen this. Through the years I have seen the title here and there and just never really looked into it. Started a stream the other day and knew I needed this on disc. Didn't return to the movie until it arrived today and watched it on Arrow's blu. This is one complicated movie. I definitely liked it, but feel I am going to need more viewings and a different focus on it to have a shot at totally figuring it out. I get the general idea, but there are details that could sway ideas in different directions. Will revisit soon.

~Rocker10

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/25/18

SCARS OF DRACULA (1970)

[​IMG]

Earlier this year, I scored a great deal on a Hammer Films box set from Studio Canal released in Germany. Seven films in the collection, all of which I watched months ago. Some very nice presentations indeed, but Scars of Dracula was one of the titles that received a noticeable boost on Blu-ray. With that in mind, I gave this late in the cycle sequel another spin.

A mob of easily riled up villagers lose their shit when the corpse of yet another young lady is found on their turf. They band together and storm Castle Dracula like any angry mob from Gothic horror cinema and try to burn it down. Some damage is done, but The Count (Christopher Lee) summons a bat attack as retaliation and takes down many while profaning their church. Some time later, a young horndog named Paul (Christopher Matthews) very much on the run for sexual misconduct ends up at the castle through a strange turn of events. Paul's brother Simon (Dennis Waterman) and his fiancée Sarah (Jenny Hanley) search for him after he fails to return.

Scars of Dracula was the sixth film in Hammer's Dracula series and the fifth one with Christopher Lee. This was released only six months after the previous film Taste the Blood of Dracula. Scars of Dracula has never received much love, but the Blu-ray transfer sure did. Having owned this in older formats, this is by far the best it has looked. I enjoyed it more than I planned on. It's a straightforward story, though there is a break in continuity at the beginning (unlike the start of Risen from the Grave and Taste the Blood). After the classic first film Horror of Dracula, each script featured Dracula coming into the story later and later. Christopher Lee is in action right away in Scars of Dracula. He gets more to do in this film and has more dialogue than what was given in prior sequels. It's very cool to see Lee himself play hospitable host as Dracula. Of course he always keeps that underlying menace there.

Now that the Dracula series was in the 1970's, there was an increase in blood, violence, and something Hammer avoided before - nudity. This would never be lumped in with their classics, but the content works for the time and place. There are two scenes in particular where Count Dracula shows his rage with violent outbursts that would seem probably out of character for him. Fun change of pace and keeps things interesting. Yes, the flying bats are bigger than required and look extra phony. Some matte shots around the castle are not at all convincing. Minor gripes in an entertaining vampire sequel. Truth be told, the Hammer series would move into more outrageous territory with the next two films: Dracula A.D. 1972 and The Satanic Rites of Dracula.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, maskull and 2 others like this.
  12. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 26th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

67) Evil Dead (1981)

68) Evil Dead 2

69) Army of Darkness

13. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

October 17:

69) Cruel Jaws (1995): The Italians watched Jaws, Jaws 2, Jaws 3, Jurassic Park, and Star Wars one day and decided to make a movie because they had a bunch of stock footage of sharks swimming. So they built a really fat shark head, hired Hulk Hogan (just kidding), added a thick sludge of Italian exploitation and then released it on an unsuspecting audience. People went in expecting Jaws, but what they got was a nonsensical story, lines/scenes lifted directly from the Jawses, and really over-the-top bad guy that'll stoop to poisoning dolphins, romance, the mob, a broke sea aquarium trying to make it work, crashing helicopters, thongs, a sailboard regatta, and some truly awful dialog. So in other words, this movie is perfection!

70) The Breed (2006): If you're afraid of dogs or even just a little leery of them, then do not watch this movie. This movie managed to make some really cute dogs scary (mostly--ok they're totally adorable of course! Except the long-haired German Shepard, that just looks wrong). Maybe it had something to do with being covered in blood and the cannibalism. Yeah, that managed to take the cute doggie quotient down a little bit. Also there's a couple of quality jump scares that got me and made me jump. But they were well done so I don't mind. So yeah, being trapped on an island with a horde of vicious (cute), slavering, blood covered (adorable), cannibalistic (aww puppy!), human hunting, dogs is a bad thing. I guess. No but seriously, it's a bad thing. That puppy sure was cute though.

October 18:

71) Dead Mary (2008): Some young-ish adults head out to the cabin at the lake for a weekend of fun with some old friends. It's got the paranoia and who's been taken over aspect of The Thing, the taunting possession of The Evil Dead, some nice bits of gore and a mythology similar to the Bloody Mary story (but not as well done, obviously). Unfortunately, it does take forever to get rolling and they spend a little too much time with the who's cheating on who/break up/other dramas, and most of the characters aren't really that likable. I will say that they do actually feel like friends though. Goods friends who have grown apart. There's parts of this movie that I really like. For instance the paranoia aspect, but more often than not the movie just gives away the suspense for a cheap scare. And the people in this resort to killing and burning bodies really fast. I think it's because the road is so far away. Who really wants to walk that far?

72) Night of the Lepus (1972): Most people think rabbits are cute but from a certain angle, with blood smeared on them and foam flying from their mouths, I could definitely see them being terrifying. Especially if they're mutant, giant, killer bunnies and there's a crap load of them coming towards you. And you have carrots in your pocket.

October 19:

73) Wild Zero (1999): Punk rock n' roll alien invasion zombie horde road movie with a psycho club owner and the coolest rock band of all time. Lots of rockin songs, gore, and romance. It's weirdly nonsensical at times but when a movie is this fun, it just doesn't matter if you always know what's going on.

74) Friday The 13th (1980): I've seen this movie so many times. So many times. I don't have much else to say about this movie, except that it's great and while it's not my favourite of the series, it's still one of the better ones. The door knob scene is still in my top five moments from the series. Pretty good for a movie that doesn't even feature a grown up version of the series' star.

Workshed, hulkyduck, CPT HOOK and 5 others like this.
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG][​IMG]
    26 10/20 WNUF Halloween Special (2013)
    This is the night of my Halloween Movie Night and year after year I've been playing VHS recordings of forgotten video lore in the backround. So with this being the 80th Anniversary of the Orson Welles' War of the World broadcast I thought I'd pull a prank of my own and play this as a "last minute" tape I got from a friend who said, "It was good in a 90's way," but saying I'd yet to see it (plausible deniability will be my first defense!). My first mistake though was not prepping my old AVI file of it which I had stashed on one hard drive or another years ago. So I had to panic and open up my genuine DVD and try to click through it fast enough that people wouldn't catch on. Unfortunately my brother-in-law was soon on the scene as I frustratingly had to wait out a Camp Motion Pictures start screen that I could not skip. Fortunately CMP is very amateur looking and the menu at first glance not much better so I clicked through in record time and he seemed to buy my story; why not it's what I usually did - play some crap someone on the internet sent me. People ignored the news broadcast for the most part, only really noticing the commercials. One person claimed they even remembered one of them! So far it was doing its job lulling itself in. I'd periodically ask passers by if it was any good and I'd complain it didn't seem Halloweenie enough. Plausible deniability. But then when the program switched to the news piece about the house and the psychic investigators it slowly garnered interest as the ladies began hushing the men in their lives because they wanted to hear more... And soon nobody was around the kitchen with me but instead everyone had gathered around the TV to watch as the "live" feed began. It truly felt like Welles' broadcast where people ignored it all at first but soon found themselves huddled around their family room radios in anticipation. But soon enough doubt began to sink in for some of my viewers, "This can't be real!" "Oh but it is," would say another. The debate heightened and I wish I had a cam going because it was just too good to be true. We were getting pretty far into it now, with the seance already gone awry, when someone whipped out their phone and looked up WNUF Halloween Special and of course the jig was up. Everyone got a good laugh, jokes about fake news, mixed with some disappointment; and now suddenly it was clearly an amateur production. I can't help but roll my eyes at that. It's one of those things where if you know it's fake it can't fool you but if it's real then "truth is stranger than fiction." But you know what really planted the seed of doubt?
    The newscaster interviewing a bystander with a cat commenting, "That's a pretty pussy." Just a bit too far for any legitimate broadcaster to go- even on live TV.
    Without that not so sly joke I wonder how much further it would have gone. Unfortunately I didn't check the clock and I'm not entirely familiar with the video so I couldn't say exactly when to call it. But based on how little mayhem was left in the movie I have to admit we got further than I had figured on. If "WNUF" was harder to find online or less pronounced in the video... Who knows how far it could have gone. A good prank I'm happy to have pulled off so successfully.

On a side note, one of the best moments of the night was also with WNUF when
    a friend was saying her boyfriend couldn't come because even the slightest blood/violence sends him running. To which another friend laughed. At that moment on screen the newscaster got his top lip cut by the satanists then this friend gagged and almost puked right into his hand! LOL! Too perfect. And it's one of the least gory movies I've shown and he hasn't hard a real problem before. When they can catch you off gaurd that's usually the most effective. :D

[​IMG][​IMG]
    27 10/20 The Black Cat (1934)
    The day was Bela Lugosi's birthday, and I was excited to have my Halloween Movie Night land on this day of days. The 20th would not fall on a Saturday for another nine years. But what to show? Lugosi's had his fair share of goofy stinkers but I didn't want to leave my guests with that impression of him; especially on his birthday. Nor did I feel it in the spirit of my Movie Nights to show one of his more serious roles like Dracula which has put even me to sleep on a few occasions. It had to be that perfect balance of wonderful but weird. And with The Black Cat I think I could get closer to this goal than any other film. He's dashing, he's a sort of hero, and he gets to match wits against his rival Boris Karloff. I prefaced it first by saying this was for his birthday, that it was just over an hour long, and pretty fun. And it was. People really dug the architecture of the house, they laughed at all the right parts and they did get wrapped up in the very weird twisted story. True some scenes like Lugosi saying "baloney" got more of a laugh than intended but that's to be expected and overall they comments throughout were very much in favor for what was going on. This is a film I'm well familiar with so it was gratifying to see the mystery aspects of it really take hold in the audience's mind; who's that, what's that for, is he dead, what's going to happen next? It's a testament to a strong film made back when Horror movies still relied as much on mystery for its suspense as a good jump scare. I defied some expectations I'm sure with one lady even telling me she thought it was "great." Not a small feat with today's expectations and I think it helps to see these films as a collective audience.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    28 10/20 Gothic (1986)
    With it being Frankenstein's 200th anniversary could I go three for three and select a third themed title to entertain my guest? I've already shown Frankenhooker so that's out of the question. Flesh for Frankenstein I just recently watched for the first time but before that another film came to my mind. A film not only about Frankenstein but Mary Shelley and the night she first dreamed him up... And it was fucked up too! After watching it early in the month my mind was made up and I chose Ken Russell's Gothic. Again I opened with a bit of an explanation, saying it was based roughly on real people, real events, and their bohemian lifestyle. Someone was already familiar with the history of the writing competition so that helped. It starts out rather chaotic... Too chaotic with Percy Shelley being chase by two girls with hardly an explanation, blaring music over driving the dialog and then we're hit with insider conversations leaving the audience to wonder what the hell was going on. All before my group could really settle in. So I was worried. But this is the ADD generation so what doesn't grip you first can grip you again and it wasn't long before people got drawn in once more. Fortunately the character's drug fueled lifestyle seemed to strike a cord with more than a few of them and that seemed to level any narrative stumbling blocks. On more than a few occasions it was pointed out who was coming down, who was in stride and who was just coming up. Some interesting insights into the film and as I suspected Russell stayed pretty realistic with that; also says something about my friends!
    A girl comment towards the end "when are we going to see the dead baby?" I felt secure enough to say, "Soon enough." And sure enough Mary's son William was in a coffin. My friend seemed a little disappointed, but not soon after that we got another dead baby. Then another. Then twin dead babies. And then the dead baby in the credits. After which I turned to her, "I counted five dead babies, was that enough dead babies for you?" To which she enthusiastically said, "YES!"
    Never let them say they left my house disappointed!

[​IMG]
    I was a bit worried about my selections this year but I think it came off better than I anticipated so 'twas grand night indeed. Now only to out do myself again next year!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Workshed, baggio, hulkyduck and 8 others like this.
  15. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 26th-

[​IMG]
    #SCVpsychochallenge: Day 26. MILITARY INVOLVEMENT. When the men in green take on the little green men.
    Hadn't seen this one in years. Still a thrilling ride.

16. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 27

107. Death Ship (1980) Blu-Watche the v2.0 from Scorpion Releasing of this. Liked the movie and decided I wanted an upgrade and slip. Interesting concept and great cast.

108. The House on Sorority Row (1983) Blu-Another film I've liked through the years and was able to update to the Blu not too long ago. Eileen Davidson, mmm

109. Black Sabbath (1963) Blu-Cool anthology with Karloff starring. Had not seen this one, but did enjoy it. I was reminded that I needed it when somebody mentioned it earlier in the thread.

110. Dragonfly (2002) DVD-I would really love a Blu upgrade for this movie. It is not technically horror but has some creepy scenes here and there. I love this movie. I hadn't seen it for a very long time and didn't totally remember a ton about it, but did remember it had a great ending. After watching, yup, liked the ending as I remembered.

111. Night of the Comet (1984) Blu-Always liked the concept of this movie. Everyone disappears after a comet fly by with the exception of a few people. It works for me.

112. Trick or Treat (1986) DVD-I love this movie and the killer soundtrack by Fastway. Been a fan of that band since the first album. This movie really needs some love. The DVD I have is kind of shitty, but better than nothing. Someone step up to the plate please and get this one done. I'm sure it would sell quite a few copies.

~Rocker10

17. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 27th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

70) House on Haunted Hill (1999)

71) 1408

72) Session 9

hulkyduck, Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  18. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 27th: Grizzly

[​IMG]

William Girdler's Jaws with claws has been criticised as being derivative and for using an animal that is more cute than frightening. Personally, I wouldn't want to get close enough for a hug, and it seems the actors didn't want to either, as most of them are never seen in the same shot as the bear. Close proximity is realised mostly via editing and a furry puppet arm. And the damage that grizzly does is just ridiculous - literally. Now, I can easily imagine a grizzly ripping off an extremity with its jaws, or tearing away massive portions of flesh with its claws, but this grizzly goes beyond that: With a single swipe from its paw, it can knock a head or an arm clean off - I'm not kidding! It's all good fun though, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I love Grizzly: We get three welcome genre veterans (Andrew Prine, Christopher George, and Richard Jaekel), gorgeous locations, and I personally think the bear turned in an awesome performance. There are two things that don't quite work for me: The greedy-unhelpful-local-politician seems a bit too copy-pasted from Jaws, as does Prine's story of a tribe of Indians being killed by a "herd of grizzlies." Firstly, I was unaware that grizzlies roamed in herds, and secondly, Quint's Indiapolis speech in Jaws is so powerful and grounded in reality that it's a tough act to follow. Needless to say, Prine, a fine actor though he is, doesn't manage to save his monologue from its poor writing.

October 27th: And Now the Screaming Starts

[​IMG]

I think this was the first horror movie I ever saw, and for that reason, it has a special place in my heart. I remember finding the image of the spectre with empty eye sockets, waving its bloody stump outside the window terrifying. Now, as an adult, I find that the rubbery makeup effects lessen the impact. There isn't a whole lot of subtlety to the direction, either. We're only minutes into the film when Roy Ward Baker shows us the crawling hand. Not as a startling effect - he's just letting us know that it's there. Things aren't all bad: The autonomous hand looks kinda neat pulling itself across the floor, Stephanie Beacham is a gorgeous and engaging lead, and the ham-fisted payoff is satisfying enough. All in all, though, this hoary affair might have benefitted from a fresher director and a true makeup virtuoso.

October 27th: Nurse Sherri

Nurse Sherri.png

By his own admission, Stephen Thrower doesn't have anything nice to say about Al Adamson's directorial efforts. I myself have only seen two Al Adamson movies - this and the absolutely dreadful Blood of Ghastly Horror. And I actually don't dislike Nurse Sherri. Even when Sherri is possessed by what looks like green crayon scribbles covering her in her bed, I find myself thinking "you tried, Al."

Nurse Sherri 2.png

The ending is quite dark, and it works:
    While Sherri is successfully freed from the evil entity that forced her to commit multiple acts of murder, she is still considered guilty in the eyes of the law and is consequently institutionalised.

Severin hinted that they might release Adamson's Brain of Blood. I say bring it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Workshed, hulkyduck, Rocker10 and 6 others like this.
  19. Dave

Dave Pimp

Oct 28th

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - binging this on Netflix. Half way through. Kind of fun. Dark. Enjoying it.

20. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Tonight:

Ghost story (1981)

Two generations of men find themselves haunted by the presence of a spectral woman. When the son of one of the elderly men returns to his hometown after his brother's mysterious death, they attempt to unravel her story.

I'd not seen this since a kid, I was looking forward to re-visiting, but unfortunately it was not a great experience.

After a promising start and a brisk 30 mins, it grinds to a halt as it starts to focus on the past.

Characters appear, then dissappear for ages, however it does have a nice setting, love a horror film in the snow, great effects, matte paintings, great house, but ultimately too long and fairy boring, shame.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    hulkyduck, Rocker10, maskull and 3 others like this.