The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2016 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2016.

1. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

The down side of pursuing lesser known titles smacks hard this time, with a roster of the sub-par and the outright lousy. Ratings are out of ****.

10/16/16 - How Awful About Allan (1970) **
    A recovering patient leaves a mental institution and returns to the home where a fire had killed his father, scarred his sister, and left him with psychosomatic partial blindness. His attempt to cope turns to paranoia, directed at a new boarder he's convinced is there to judge him for the tragedy.

This is a slow burn suspense made for television movie, leveraging heavily the expectations for the perpetually type cast Perkins. The blurred point of view imagery is effective if not particularly clever, likewise the burnt room left unrepaired like a scar on the house is a nice touch. The adeptness of the leads’ performances are the film's main strength, even though Perkins is just playing the same old coldly reserved morphing to manically unhinged persona. Frankly I suspect for the bulk of his career the calls from his agent went like this...

"Anthony, I've lined up a part for you."

"No need to fill me in, I play a crazy bastard. Got it. I'm broke, so sign me up."

But in the end the film's plot and resolution are derivative, the ending given a rote twist of questionable merit, making the whole affair rather forgettable.

The Torturer (2009) *
    A military interrogator relates his feelings and experiences through flashbacks of his abuse and degradation of an Iraqi detainee.

I knew I was in for a bad time when the copyright warning screen looked cheap. And the credits were rolled onscreen ridiculously oversized and with scene obscuring effects. The DVD menu screen indicated the film has an alternate title with the statement 'a.k.a'. Trust me, no one has heard of this mess under any name, nor should they. Having a scene that directly rips off the cut sequence from 24, right down to the music, won’t put the film on anyone's radar either.

The interrogator actor in this farce was clearly cast for his Tom Cruise likeness, played to the hilt channeling that actor's courtroom theatrics from A Few Good Men. And he never turns it off, over emphasizing every utterance, comically even having his own instance of "the truth" line. Nichelle Nichols plays the clichéd psychiatrist stereotype, right down to the trope of echoing every patient statement as a question. She's not the only Star Trek link in this film - the lead clearly hails from the Shatner school of bad acting and awkward enunciation. Nichols has a few moments where it’s unclear if her look of disgust is because the role called for it, or she's having a real reaction to the bad acting and dialogue. The only decent actor in this film is the one playing the prisoner, who spends most of her time sobbing and screaming. Hilariously in her casting and filming a major trait goof was overlooked - how many female Iraqi insurgents have a belly button piercing?

There isn't any salvation in plot quality, either. What starts as an unrepentant soldier relating to an accusatory psychologist switches motivation and realities to a remorseful contractor debriefing to his condoning handler. What initially plays to be a torture horror/drama switches into an overt, heavy handed, and repeated political and policy commentary. The film ends with a non-sensical plot twist that simultaneously tries to deliver a happy ending and a karmic payback shock. By that point all the viewer cares about is the credits are finally rolling on this steaming pile.

2. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Movie 48, 49, 50, 51, & 52:

Sadako 3D (2012): Watched in underwhelming 3D. Pretty bland but has some moments of fun. Especially when it strangely turns into a creature feature with spidery Sadako monsters chasing our heroine through the halls for 15 minutes. I think the big problem with this movie is that it's just not scary or creepy. A lot of that is probably because almost every scene is shot in the daytime or in well lit areas. Probably so the 3D would work. Lack of shadows/darkness makes it harder to be scary.

Snake Woman's Curse (1968): I do love movies where Japanese dudes rampage around a house waving a blade, screaming and ranting. There's lots of that in this movie. Makes up for the movie being pretty damn depressing in the first half with all the death, slavery, beatings and raping going on. I really liked the snake woman make up. It was really quite gross-cinating.

Bloody Beach (2000): A slasher made in South Korea that quite honestly could have been made in America with American actors and not too much would change. It's got what you'd expect from a slasher film, blood, some cool kills, nudity, a final girl, an "is the killer really dead?" ending. I've seen this a few times and always enjoy it. It might be a little slow to get going but once the kills start, they're really fun. This, I'm pretty sure, was also my very first Korean film. Not exactly what you'd expect from Korean horror, but it still counts.

Dead End (2003): Christmas road trip from Hell!!! What you'd expect from a movie about a family heading to the mother-in-law's house for Christmas dinner....but funnier and with more death. Always loved this movie.

The Sighting (2016): There's a pretty cool movie about Sasquatch killings, surrounding some pretty awful acting that makes everything hard to believe/care about. Still there's some really interesting and even jumpy moments that work, especially an early scene in the woods. This could have been a favourite with better acting and slightly smarter characters but instead it's just a semi-intriguing addition to the Bigfoot...no, wait, sorry Sasquatch...genre.

3. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Stir of Echoes

upload_2016-10-17_7-39-3.jpeg

Always loved this movie. It's been several years since I revisited. I'm not always a big ghost movie fan, but this has always been a favorite of mine. Solid acting, good plot, creepy at times, moves at a good pace....... Can't go wrong.

I've also caught anywhere from 15 minutes to one hour of the following flicks on TV over the last several days

Childs Play 3 (childhood favorite of mine)
    Friday the 13th part 6 & 7
    Bride of Chucky
    Nightmare on Elm Street 3
    Wrong Turn
    Sinister

Rocker10, indrid13 and maskull like this.
  4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Trick or Treat (Charles Martin Smith, 1986) (4/5)

I recall really enjoying this as a teenager, renting the VHS more than once. But I hadn't seen it in years. Thankfully, it held up really well. It's fast paced, well made, and a lot of fun. I also have a soft spot for 80's hair metal. Apparently Anchor Bay had plans to release a 20th Anniversary edition in 2006, but music rights got in the way. That's a shame, because this movie is easily good enough to warrant some special treatment.

I love Ozzy Osbourne's cameo in this, he's hilarious. And Tony Fields makes a great villain.

5. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

Munchies !!!

indrid13 likes this.
  6. maskull

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Movie 53, 54, & 55:

House of Wax (1953): The 3D really helped this one become even more amazing. Melting wax figures in 3D, the fight in the fire, the chase through the dark streets of New York (all shadowy)...but the movie itself manages to be a little horrifying...in a 50's kind of way....and creepy, and hilarious. Loved Price in his melted man get up but I also loved his tour of the Wax Museum he gave. His lines are spectacular!

Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933): I found myself wondering if the wax figures in this movie were really made of wax of if they were just actors standing very still. They looked lifelike (more so than the Vincent Price version). The burn make up and the melting wax figures are pretty gruesome. I just wish they didn't feel the need for a burned dude to have a full head of hair. This one's a bit too talky at times and has a few too many characters but Glenda Farrell's feisty reporter character was a ton of fun and kept the movie moving through the rough patches. Fay Wray basically is there to scream and look pretty.

It's really surprising how much was lifted from this movie for the Price version.

House of Wax (2005): This was/is one of my favourite nu horror films. It has a bit of a slow start, which a lot of people seemed to complain about, but that doesn't bother me. It's all build up to the face ripping, finger snipping, head sliding to the ground on a pole, and doggie jump scares to come. Great soundtrack for people of a certain nostalgic leaning and the ending is awesome too. Actually it's the best part of the movie. Trying to do anything in melting wax must be so....frustrating. And I can feel it when I watch this.

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Of all the 3D titles I've watched at home, this was probably my favorite in terms of it's use of the medium. The depth present in the museum was incredible, and the gratuitous yo-yo scene was amazing. This might have just been due to a really well done 3D transfer, but I have a feeling that it has something to do with the more deliberate pace of the editing and camera movement. In a recent 3D film, like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, I didn't find the 3D to be nearly as effective. The camera kept cutting or whipping around, and it didn't allow any time for the 3D effect to register.

Jaws 3D was a close second. Looking forward to watching Amityville 3D sometime in the next week or so. Now if only they'd release a proper 3D version of Friday the 13th Part 3.

indrid13 and maskull like this.
  8. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct. 17th.

Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil. (2010). One of the rare contemporary horror comedies that actually delivers for me. Crazy, over the top inventive kills coupled with genuinely funny lines. Tucker and Dale are like a latter day Abbott and Costello, and this clever hillbilly horror satire has genuine charm and heart. One of the few films that I would actually love to see a sequel to. 9/10.

9. maskull

I haven't seen too many 3D movies to be honest but this is definitely my favourite as well. That ball n paddle scene would have been cool in 2D but in 3D it was hilarious.

Pretty much all the 3D i've seen has been on older movies, except Box Trolls and Sadako. Jaws 3D was really great, and actually made some of the scenes look a whole lot better. I also liked parts of The Creature From the Black Lagoon....but it was my first 3D so maybe I was just easily impressed.

indrid13 and dave13 like this.
  10. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 17th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

40) The Pack: The more “When animals attack” horror films I see, the more I realize how hard of a subgenre it is too perfect. It’s not that “The Pack” does anything particularly wrong story wise, it’s just not that exciting. I felt my attention wandering through out as I could see a lot of the scares coming from a mile away. I wish I had more to say but this was just kind of there. (5/10)

41) Stung: A giant bug movie that kind of reminded of “Mosquito.” The practical effects used for the giant wasps looked badass, and Clifton Collins, Jr. was the highlight of the film. I did enjoy the supporting cast too, the issue was that just about every single one was killed off by the thirty-minute mark, leaving a lot of potential laughs and creative kills on the table. The leads in the film were charming and did well with what they had and it was great to see Lance Henriksen as usual. (5/10)

Rocker10, indrid13 and maskull like this.
  11. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

[​IMG]

The Hatching - starts of about a killer croc then changes direction about half way through, it's quite disjointed and amateurish, billed as a horror comedy, but most of which for me, including a particular groan inducing ending, falls flat. Nice setting though in rural England, looks nice, psychical effects/croc which gets a few points. However I won't be revisiting.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Fender Bender - takes a while to get going and once it does....it's still pretty boring, not very tense and a lead who makes stupid decision after stupid decision that deserves their fate after well.....no spoilers here. Nice costume, a bit of gore. Move along.

[​IMG]

The Greasy Stranger - A WTF movie if ever there was one, I can't really describe and I'm not really sure what I think of it. Nothing more I can say!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Thanks for saving me the money for the rental of 'The Hatching'.

13. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 16th-

Ringu 2 vs. The Ring Two

[​IMG]

Ringu 2 (1999) I'd seen this one only once before. I was kind of bored by it then. This time I enjoyed it much more. Not as good as the first Ringu but not bad.

[​IMG]

The Ring Two (2005) Whoa boy did this one suck. Long and boring. Except for the comedy gold that is the "awesome" CGI deer attack. The Rings short on the DVD was actually better then the film itself.

Film count so far 30 films

14. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I thought the same as you but it got really good. Give it a 2nd chance.

indrid13 likes this.
  15. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #20:
    Full Moon High (1981)
    First time viewing (VHS)
    *1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    17. VHS Day. Something on the greatest physical format known to psychotronica. If you don’t have a VCR or access to one then watch a movie with a VCR/VHS theme or scene in it.

Been working my way through Larry Cohen films recently and usually enjoy his work. I did not, however, enjoy this attempt at a straight comedy. I think Cohen works best when the comedy is a spice added to his scripts and laughs aren't the only goal.

maskull, Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 17th:

THE MORE MONSTERS, THE MERRIER

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Ok, I'll see if I can squeeze it in again soon. thanks.

18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 17 - Mimic
    I have always enjoyed this movie - and I like it better with each viewing. The plot sounds a little funky on paper but it works. 4/5

maskull, indrid13 and Rocker10 like this.
  19. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 17

4 movies today with 61 total.

1. Night of the Wild (Stream) 2015 - Saw this one in one of Maskull's posts. Thought I would give it a go. Kind of a thin plot. Did have some slight entertainment avenue, but definitely good for one viewing only.

2. She-Wolf of London (Blu) 1946 - Last movie of the Wolfman legacy blu-ray set. I found it to be the weakest, but still decent. I have the recent Frankenstein set as well and due to overlap I'm halfway done with it and it isn't even opened yet. I see why they did it, but between the Universal Monster set and these two recent sets, there is only a few movies that are unique to each. Quality is pretty dang good in these sets.

3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (Blu) 1986 - This is such an over the top, wacky sequel. I liked it, but what a change of tone between the two movies. Definite 80's feel to the approach versus the serious feel of the first. Scream Factory did a great job on the transfer. I was looking at the differences at caps-a-holic between this and the Arrow release and Scream really nailed this one.

4. Jeepers Creepers (Blu) 2001 - Another Scream disc. Always liked this film. Bought it at least 4 times now upgrading each time. Will probably take in the sequel as well.

Hard to believe only 14 days until Halloween. The month has been going way to fast!

maskull, Kim Bruun and indrid13 like this.
  20. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Don't Look Now Criterion Blu

I liked the movie (first time viewing) but I'd be hard pressed to tell you why. Lots of subtlety going on here: the narrative, Sutherland's character, the splashes of red peppered throughout. It's genuinely arty and hypnotizing without having a concrete point to it all.

Salems Lot Blu

Just lots of spooky fun here. Great cast, good direction and still creepy in spots. Always enjoyed this one.

Rocker10, maskull, Kim Bruun and 2 others like this.