The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2016 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2016.

1. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

2. Dartmoor Killing
    [​IMG]

More of a romance novel with "thrilling" elements than a thriller, this was nowhere near a horror movie. Sadly, it was so utterly bland and uninteresting I found myself wondering why I was still watching it, and then it ended.

maskull and indrid13 like this.
  2. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 7
    [​IMG]
    Paranormal Activity The Ghost Dimension (2015)

maskull, Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

malatesta.jpg
    Seriously: GO. WATCH. THIS. NOW.

This has everything I love about low budget, early-70s horror. I was expecting BLOOD-SUCKING FREAKS (which I truly enjoy), but this is so much better in every way.

I'll definitely be watching this again very soon. So glad I blind-bought the Arrow box set.

maskull, Kim Bruun, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  4. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 7TH:

133556-d4.jpg

5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #7:
    The Towering Inferno (1974)
    First time viewing (Blu)
    *** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    7. Disaster day. You know, earthquakes, floods, viral outbreaks etc.

One of the few "not quite horror" days of the challenge.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    maskull, Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Arrow's American Horror Project has been one of my very favorite releases of the year. Malatesta's Carnival of Blood is the best film of that trio in my opinion. Sure there are plenty of WTF moments, but that's just part of the charm. I just would have liked the film to be a little longer.

7. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 7

Added 4 to my total making it 23 for the month. It was an almost all 1987 type of viewing day.

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (Blu) 1987 - Not bad, but a bit of a dip in my opinion. This movie also showed me how bad this Blu collection sucks by Warner. Pic quality is shitty for a Blu ray. Looking arond I see where others compare it to the DVD set and say it's only slightly better. That is accurate.

2. Blood Diner (Blu) 1987 - I find this movie whacky as hell. Over the top in most ways and very humorous. Only saw it last year for the first time, but grabbed the Vestron Collector Blu recently.

3. Zombie (Blu) 1979 - A definite classic. Wanted to get this one in this year so tonight was the night. Like the atmosphere and the tone. Definite Fulci fan.

4. The Lost Boys (Blu) 1987 - Always liked this movie. I've bought it numerous times in the form of upgrades, but can't remember watching it for what has been a very long time. Enjoyed the heck out of it and remembered why I liked it.

Natas, indrid13, maskull and 2 others like this.
  8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 7th: IT'S PRONOUNCED FRANKENSTEIN, NOT FRONKENSTEEN!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Movies 19, 20, & 21:

Microwave Massacre (1983): Some big a**hole treats his wife like crap and tells a lot of awful one-liners. Then he kills his wife because he doesn't like her cooking. The wife's pretty awful but the guy is maybe one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen in a movie.....things get a bit better after the wife's dead and the cannibalism starts(!!!!), possibly because dude ain't complaining all the time and there's a lot of nudity and bodies being low-budget-ly chopped up for dinner. Still, it actually took me two tries to make it through this movie.

Blood Diner (1987): Honestly this movie was a little hit or miss for me for most of the runtime. The humour was very iffy and at times a little annoying, but other times it was pretty hilarious. Then again, the rest of the movie really doesn't matter because what happens in the club at the end is now one of my favourite things ever in a movie!!

The Last Slumber Party (1987): Felt like it was made by someone who had never made a movie before, nor should ever make another one. All the characters were unlikable, especially the "final girl". The dialogue was gross, it's all over the place. Nothing makes sense. The killer does everyone in the exact same way. It's boring, confusing and frustrating....then at some point I realized that for some unknown reason, I was actually starting to enjoy the damn thing. The repetition of scenes, the main girl's weird reactions to her friends dying, the odd timeline fluctuations, it all felt very nightmarish. I didn't know if this was intentional or not. I just knew that it started to work for me. I also knew that I would never recommend it to a single person in the world.

10. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

10-6-16
    The Exorcist

10-7-16
    Dellamorte Dellamore

Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

00 09/30 Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)
    Because of Orson Welles' World of the World stunt for Halloween I like to have an alien invasion theme night September 30th, typically with George Pal's 1953 War of the Worlds. But a co-worker's fear of clowns has inspired me to watch this instead. Although I've seen a few moments of this on TV (on Svengoolie I think...) I've never seen much of it. Man, it's a hoot! Almost instantly this gets going with its Blob inspired opening and underpinnings though out. The underrated Royal Dano starts us out playing Olin Howland, a performance he would flesh out in Spaced Invaders shortly after. The Chiodo Brother's knowledge of effective special effects really help drive this with crazy concepts like the air balloon dog that's simple to execute but is extremely effective. John Vernon is especially golden here and all the actors are wonderfully in on the joke, but place in completely straight which is just what you need when Killer Klowns are running wild.

00 09/30 Mars Needs Women (1967)
    After Yvonne Craig passed away last year I had a marathon of the few movies she's had, but saved this movie for 9/30 but forgot about it. So I made damn sure to watch it this season! It's been a long time since I've seen this and while my youthful impression was it was camp this elder viewing didn't strike me as campy at all really. There is a shade of Stangelove here with some procedural specificity and off hinged General, but overall this is just so bad it's bad. Yvonne, however, is as beguiling as ever. She had instant chemistry with the camera and it's a wonder she didn't have a longer love affairs with the screen.

01 10/01 Vampira Presents, The Thirteenth Guest (1932) 12:00 AM
    And then, at the stroke of midnight, I flipped that hour glass figure and commenced the witching hour with Maila Nurmi. And what a pair Mali and Yvonne would make toe to toe! But anyways, Vampira never disappoints with her sultry saunter in smoked filled rooms. Thirteenth Guest is luckier than one might initially think when bopping for apples in a bin a rotten as the public domain can be, but by happy happenstance this is a fun whodunit with a great cast with willey wit and rapid repartee. If it weren't for Vampira I probably wouldn't be as exposed to this is as I am now but it's become a favorite of mine with its twists and turns, black humor and spooky enough atmospherics.

02 10/01 Svengoolie Presents, Island of Terror (1966)

I can only get Svengoolie over the air and during the summer there's just too many trees and probably other hindrances between me and Chicago which blocks my antennae. But with the Autumn Equinox comes the Northern winds bringing in the cool air knocking down leaves, and a few branches too, clearing the air for Svengoolie in come into my abode. He was breaking up a lot last week for the evening showing of Island of Terror but this week during the morning replay he came in strong and true just in time for October 1st. Island of Terror with its Irish settings and stirring fears of what science make bring makes for a remarkable apt entry into my theme this month, H.P. Lovecraft. Settings the stage on my own Druid Samhain stomping grounds with Lovecraft's themes of the unknowable. There's a great sensibility of dark humor never really seen in the Hammer horrors, so it's great to have this film give Peter Cushing a chance to flex his dry British wit with this film's dark coroner banter. This film is remarkably like Resident Evil with its increased isolation much like The Thing. With its finale in Japan you could almost think of this as a prequel to Umbrella Corp and I wonder if that got Capcom's Shinji Mikami and Tokuro Fujiwara's minds turning.

12. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 7th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15) We Are Still Here: Considering I’ve sat through a number of awful supernatural horror films this month, I was anticipating another shitpile. Thankfully this one was a huge pallet cleanser. Ted Geoghegan has a fantastic eye for visuals and uses the Victorian era house to his full advantage, top that with a great script with a unique mythology and a cast that includes horror veterans Barbara Crampton and Larry Fessenden and you have a recipe for a fantastic viewing experience. Huge props go out to the practical effects team who did an incredible job making the burnt corpse apparitions look creepy and menacing with buckets of gore to round things off. The only real complaints I have are the goofy acting from some of the supporting cast and a loss of tension in the finale which is really just one giant B-movie gore fest (not that I’m really complaining, it was still fun to watch). Highly recommend (8/10)

16) Darling: One of the more creative independent horror films to come out of the United States. Every aspect of this film shines through, especially the decision to film this in black and white, which plays off the atmosphere built around the narrative. It goes without saying, and those who have seen this will agree, the film is very similar to Polanski’s “Repulsion” not only in visual aesthetics, but in plotline as well. That considered, it still does enough of its own thing that I didn’t feel it ripped off “Repulsion” in an egregious manger, although “Repulsion” is a better film overall. Add in the creepy musical score and some really disturbing audio cues and editing choices, this one really knocks it out of the park. I looked forward to what director Mickey Keating has in store for his future projects, and I would love to see the film’s lead actress, Lauren Ashley Carter, in more films as well. (8/10)

17) They Look Like People: Maybe it’s just me, but I felt like this was missing something. At only seventy minutes this thing just feels a bit too long, with minimal emphasis on the alleged unseen threat. All the scenes with the strange phone calls were rather chilling at times, but there was way too much nothing going on during the rest of the film. I did like the cast, but given they had only so much to work with I felt my patience being tested. It does redeem itself towards the end featuring a tension filled finale, but I just didn’t love the film as a whole. (6/10)

18) Lights Out: I’m not too sure why so many people have been glowing about this one because I thought it was just okay. If anything it was a breath of fresh air to see a Hollywood produced supernatural film that stands out of the pack with an original script that has a fair amount of depth to it. It was also great to see something like this focus more on the characters rather than filling up screen time with a million and one jump scares. It’s not without its faults though, because it still looks and feels too much like every other mainstream horror film with the same exact cinematography, direction and so-so acting. I did, however, love the climatic cat and mouse game inside the dark house with the creature, which created a number of very good moments, but that ending felt rushed, as if to say “Shit! We need to end this thing so how!” Defiantly not the worst you could do with your time, just don’t expect the world from it. (6/10)

Rocker10, msw7, maskull and 2 others like this.
  13. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 7th-

Larry Drake double feature

[​IMG]

Darkman (1990)- It's been about five or six years since I last watched Darkman. Forgot just how fantastic the film is. Sam Raimi's direction here may have been some the best of his career.

[​IMG]

Dr. Giggles (1992) - I've always enjoyed the good Doctor. Larry Drake was the perfect actor to play Giggles. A lot of fun and the deaths are actually pretty brutal without showing much gore.

Film count so far- 13 films

Rocker10 and maskull like this.
  14. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG]

Movie #22:

The Conjuring 2 (2016):
    Some early creeps and chills that wear out thanks to being overlong, overstuffed and over-cgi-ed. Could seriously have been cut down to an hour and a half runtime, cutting out the Ed and Lorraine stuff before they get to England and the premonitions. The English family was well cast and likable enough to get me through the rough patches mostly. I cared what happened to them. I may be an old softy but I felt pretty bad for the poor little girl.

Rocker10, Kim Bruun and indrid13 like this.
  15. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

Blood Feast/2000 maniacs, (RIP Herschell)
    976 Evil
    krampus (i know know, its xmass, but its evil and ive been dying to see it!)

16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

October 6th:

I invited some friends over to watch a couple Halloween related movies, and here's what I showed them:

[​IMG]

9.) Donnie Darko (2001) - They didn't get it. I still adore the film.

[​IMG]

10.) Idle Hands (1999) - This one went over much better. Just infectious Halloween fun from start to finish. One of my favorites, and is still a blast on the umpteenth viewing.

October 7th:

[​IMG]

11.) The Seventh Sign (1988) - I had seen this movie once as a kid on TNT or TBS. I remember really enjoying it and was curious to revisit. Watching it now, I found it a bit tepid. I did enjoy the downbeat ending.

Past Entries:
    1.) Edgar Allan Poe's Buried Alive (1990)
    2.) Doctor Death: Seeker Of Souls (1973)
    3.) Cult Of The Damned (1969)
    4.) The Hand (1981)
    5.) Wishcraft (2002)
    6.) Zombie Nightmare (1987)
    7.) American Horror Story "Chapters 3 & 4"
    8.) Scream Queens "Warts And All"

Rocker10, Natas, indrid13 and 2 others like this.
  17. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I doubt their commitment to Sparkle Motion.

18. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

re-animator.jpg

Such a classic; I never tire of this one one. It could have sooo easily turned out to be crap but everything is pitch-perfect--the performances, the gore effects, the script with just the right balance of shocks/laughs.

Rocker10, indrid13, maskull and 2 others like this.
  19. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Finally an update from this past week...need to get some in this long weekend for sure!
    4. House on Sorority Row
    - Not a bad slasher and one I hadn't seen in a while. Nothing too extraordinary in gore or scares, but it kept me interested throughout. Pretty much the definition of a middle of the road 80's slashfest, which is fine in my book. (6/10)
    5. Sorority Row
    -I actually prefer the remake to the original by a fairly wide margin here. Stylish, sexy girls, some solid gore and several exciting setpieces. I've seen this one a few times now, and continue to be impressed! (7/10)
    6. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003 remake)
    -Marcus Nispiel does not get a lot of love in the horror community from what I have seen, but I love this guy's movies. This is one of my favorites from him. I know many do not care for this one, but I don't see what's not to like! I think he nailed the grimy 70's feel, the extended "family" is an interesting addition, Ermey's performance is great. I actually think most all of the acting is solid here, and there are some great gore scenes. Leatherface is intimidating, and it is certainly not a glossy watered down update of the original. Love it! (9/10)
    7. Savage Weekend
    - A first time viewing for me, and a bit of a head-scratcher of a movie. I didn't know what to expect from a slasher that was made in 1976 years before the tropes were established, and was wise enough not to go in expecting a classic 80's style vintage hacker. By any estimation this one was strange, though. I have to admit that I am not the biggest fan of William Sanderson because I loathed that "Larry, Darell, Darrel"bit on the Newhart show all those years ago. However, he is solid here and I also loved him in Fight For Your Life. He also comes across as a pretty nice guy in the supplementary interview as well. The movie certainly has plentiful nudity if not much blood, and I can say that it mostly held my attention. Worth a watch. (5/10)
    8. Flesh Eater
    - I hadn't seen this one in a couple of years, and this was a happy reunion. Not an example of high quality horror exactly, but thoroughly enjoyable! The acting is absolutely atrocious, the gore cheesy as the entire state of Wisconsin, and filled with abrupt insta- fades to black to transition every scene. It definitely wears out its welcome by around the hour mark, but there is an overwhelming feeel of fun that puts it over the top for me. (7/10)
    Just getting warmed up!

20. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 8th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

19) Contracted: Phase II: The original “Contracted” was an entertaining, gross and well-rounded bodily horror film. This one continues the trend with awesome practical effects with some truly squirm inducing moments, but everything else falls flat. The narrative moves at a sloppy pace and is riddled with way too much plot convenience instead of cleaver story telling. I was also profoundly annoyed with the female detective’s Scottish accent that kept slipping out with ever other word. This was a pretty big bore that doesn’t move forward the narrative well at all. (5/10)

20) Cabin Fever (2016): It’s amazing to me that Hollywood is still remaking films even after te trend has run its course, and they’re really scrapping the bottom of the barrel when they’re remaking American films that are less than fifteen-years-old, which is the case with “Cabin Fever”. This is literally, beat for beat, the same exact film as Eli Roth’s original. I was not the biggest fan of the original, so a complete carbon copy remake was not something I was behind. The acting was bad, the dialogue was even worse, and director Travis Z brought nothing to the table to differentiate this from Roth’s version. The gore was abundant, which was a plus, but that still couldn’t salvage this retread of an already bad film. (4/10)

indrid13, Rocker10 and maskull like this.