The 2020 Halloween Horror Movie Calendar

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Aug 14, 2020.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Blind bought Becky, and Fear Pharm at my Walmart today both look cool.

2. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

3. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

Turner Classic Movies star of the month for October is Peter Cushing.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

More mini reviews from the September line-up:

Fear PHarm - Pretty cheap and silly no-budget slasher movie. I thought about saving it for Halloween because it takes place in a Halloween corn maze, but the movie itself doesn't do much in terms of the holiday so I'm glad I didn't wait. The kills are bland and it's pretty paint-by-numbers, but I'm easy when it comes to slasher movies so I didn't hate it. I probably wouldn't recommend it, unless maybe it winds up free on Amazon Prime.

The Devil All The Time - This isn't really a horror movie, but it's very dark and violent. I liked it a lot. Interesting to see bland Marvel actors like Tom Holland and Sebastian Stan actually be given interesting things to do. It's relentlessly depressing and has very little rewatchability, but it's definitely an engaging watch.

Spiral - I really dug this one. It's creative and entertaining. Nice atmosphere, likable leads, and a compelling mystery. I was kind of expecting it to be gay Get Out, and I guess if you look at the plot on paper it kind of is, but the movie itself really feels like it's own unique thing. I did prefer the filmmakers previous movie What Keeps You Alive, but for horror fans who crave something different and original over a lame studio Conjuring spin-off, this is highly recommended.

Antebellum - This movie is a stylish hot mess. It's aggressively stupid and pretentious, but I guess it's not boring? The slavery stuff is up front, so expect to sit through about 40 minutes worth of 12 Years A Slave before it switches over to the modern horror film that the trailer promises. Even when the switch does happen, you're essentially starting from scratch, so even then you have to build up to the horror movie. This might be one of the most poorly structured movies I've seen, but it's done in service of a rather silly reveal that another movie already did better.

Ratched - I'm only a few episodes in, but if you've ever seen a Ryan Murphy series you pretty much know what you're in for. High camp and a terrific cast of actors, but the show is pretty messy. That said, it's entertaining for sure, very stylish and the score is fitting. Recommended, as long as you know what you're in for.

Full TCM schedule: http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=CST&sdate=2020-10-01

Titicut Follies (mentioned previously) is on Tuesday, September 29th at 1:15AM (late night Monday).

The schedule is a lot of the usual stuff. They've got the Dark Shadows movies, and I love Night Of Dark Shadows (but I own it on blu-ray). I'll be checking out Madhouse (1974).

Honestly, the two highlights for me are non-horror. The first being Dogfight on Tuesday, October 13th at 9:15PM. The other being Heavenly Bodies on Saturday morning, October 24th at 4:15AM (following Ninja III: The Domination).

AMC schedule only goes a month out, so the AMC Fear Fest schedule is available through October 19th. Mostly consists of the same stuff as usual.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Crap, I need to finish out my own October schedule before I get in the thick of it!

Excellent choice. The Star of the Month tribute videos are usually pretty good in themselves with Vincent Price done by John Waters being especially... fitting?

It'll be interesting to see who they get for Peter Cushing.

6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020 at 1:24 AM
  7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The real shame is that Halloween falls on a Saturday this year, people/kids could have had fun without it being a work/school night

dave13, Natas and zbinks like this.
  8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

The last 3 or 4 Halloween's have also been cold and wet for us. I'm sure this year the weather will be fantastic...

9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I know, fucking awful...... It won't ruin my season though, that's for sure. I am working weekends at a Spirit Halloween store, it's been packed, sales projections are getting crushed, hopefully it's a good sign for my local area that people are still gonna celebrate.

10. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

Ok, here is a sign of the end of the world.
    Oct 30, tcm will be having a late nite andy milligan tribute with
    Fleshpot on 42nd street
    Guru the mad monk.
    Well, guess my quandry of not having enough Harry Reems films on TCM is over! Sadly, no Robert Osbourne intros.

11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Let it snow will be 14.96 in store on dvd no bluray. Trailer looks OK but haven't seen any reviews yet.