The 2013 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10.24.13 (38)

Another Vestron Video Classics on DVD Triple Feature

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sweet Sixteen (1983) (DVD) [​IMG]

Melissa is the new girl at school, but all her dates end up dead ... Slasher with small town setting, lots of sympathetic characters and engaging mystery plot. The climatic everybody-is-sitting-on-the-ground ending was kind of corny and seemed rushed. Love the very ending which left the door open for a possible sequel.

Strange Invaders (1983) (DVD) [​IMG]

Divorced teacher and tabloid writer team up to solve mysteries in a small town inhabited by aliens. 1950s sci-fi homage not poking fun at the genre. The director had a keen eye for mood, atmosphere, setting. This film actually feels and looks like it was made in the 1950s.

Sole Survivor (1983) (DVD) [​IMG]

Survivor of a plane crash is haunted by the spirits of the dead... Long time fave and October-regular. This creepy little gem is filled with eerie chills and thrills.​

2. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 24th:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Night Gallery: The Cemetery

October 2nd

02. Night Gallery: Little Black Bag

October 3rd

03. Night Gallery: Finnegan's Flight

October 4th

04. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

October 5th

05. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)

October 6th

06. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)

October 7th

07. Night Gallery: Class of '99

October 8th

08. Night Gallery: The Return of the Sorcerer

October 9th

09. Night Gallery: Aunt Ada

October 10th

10. Night Gallery: A Question of Fear

October 11th

11. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

October 12th

12. The Shining (1980)

October 13th

13. The Fog (1980)

October 14th

14. Christine (1983)

October 15th

15. They Live (1988)

October 16th

16. The Thing (1982)

October 17th

17. Prince of Darkness (1987)

October 18th

18. In the Mouth of Madness (1994)

October 19th

19. The Mummy's Hand (1940)
    20. The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
    21. The Mummy's Ghost (1944)
    22. The Mummy's Curse (1944)

October 20th Happy Birthday Bela Lugosi! :evil:

23. Dracula (1931)
    24. White Zombie (1932)
    25. The Black Cat (1934)
    26. The Raven (1935)
    27. Son of Frankenstein (1939)

October 21st

28. The Seventh Victim (1943)

October 22nd

29. The Mask of Satan (1960)

October 23rd

30. The City of the Dead (1960)

October 24th

31. Night of the Demon (1957)

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

SPAWNINGBLUE'S 2013 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIE WATCHING

Bold = first time viewing. Rating out of 10.

October
    The Fog (1980) 9/10
    This Is the End (2013) 7.5/10
    The Boogens (1981) 7/10
    V/H/S 2 (2013) 7/10
    Frankenstein's Army (2013) 6/10
    The Lords of Salem (2013) 4.5/10
    Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! S:1 - What a Night for a Knight (1969) 6.5/10
    The American Scream (2012) 7/10
    Campfire Tales (1991) 5.5/10
    The Real Ghostbusters S:1 - Mrs. Rogers Neighbourhood (1986) 6/10
    The Simpsons S:24 – Treehouse of Horror XXIII (2012) 4/10
    The Simpsons S:25 – Treehouse of Horror XXIV (2013) 5/10
    Bob’s Burgers S:4 – Fort Night (2013) 6/10
    Halloween Wars S:3 – Zombie Prom (2013) 6.5/10
    The Nest (1988) 6.5/10
    Ticks (1993) 7/10
    Planet of the Vampires (1965) 7/10
    Crystal Lake Memories (2013) 8/10
    Garfield's Halloween Adventure (1985) 7.5/10
    Sharknado (2013) 3/10
    The Real Ghostbusters S:1 - Silmer, Come Home (1986) 6/10
    The Real Ghostbusters S:1 - Troll Bridge (1986) 7/10
    Home Improvement S:2 - Haunting of Taylor House (1992) 7/10
    Monster House (2006) 6/10
    Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971) 7/10
    Triangle (2009) 7.5/10

[​IMG]

Garfield's Halloween Adventure (1985) - This special was just shy of making my top 5 favourite Halloween TV specials ,but it's still definitely one of the better ones and a whole lot of fun! The old man in the house is still very creepy, as are the ghost pirates who are quite menacing for a children's cartoon. I love the scene where they turn away for a second only to see that the old man has disappeared; cut to him sailing off with their boat and candy haha. This special has a great spooky atmosphere and really celebrates the holiday. I unfortunately just found out that the version I have been watching all these years on the DVD is cut! I remembered the scene when I looked it up, it's after they return home with their candy, the ghosts are still chasing them and while hiding in a tree they realize it's because a gold piece accidentally found its way into one of their candy bags. It makes no sense why it was cut unless they accidentally included the syndicated version. Either way, this is a must watch this month!

[​IMG]

Sharknado (2013) - This movie received quite the hype and fanfare and to be honest I'm not sure why!? Obviously the concept and title are so ridiculous that I understand it piquing genre fans interests, but this went above and beyond that, becoming a massive hit with the general public. I just can't figure out why this film out of all the other ridiculous creature films that have been released made such a splash? As for the film, I admit I have never checked out any of these made for TV creature flicks, although there was always a small amount of curiosity surrounding them. After watching this, I'm not sure where I fall. I will first admit that I was never bored. At the same time, everything about the movie was awful! And as much as I enjoy "so bad it's good films", I expected a little more from this on win those regards. The sharks flying from tornados didn't really start until the last half of the movie, the first half was just a hurricane with sharks roaming the streets of LA. If you are going to deliver bad CGI, dialog, acting, ect., then at least make it insane enough with lots of interesting kills to make up for it. Other then a great scene where a character jumps into a sharks mouth with a chainsaw only to cut himself out of the side, everything else was pretty standard low budget affair. I did get a kick out of all the continuity errors though, which I usually never notice, but here they were just so glaring it was impossible not to. In all the closeup scenes the car there is a raging storm outside, any time they cut to a shot outside the car it seemed fine outside. It was if the Director and editor just didn't really care. A mess of a film, but one I would say is still worth checking out, I think?

[​IMG]

The Real Ghostbusters S:1 - Silmer, Come Home (1986) - Another decent episode, this time about Slimer leaving the firehouse only to getting absorbed by a super poltergeist called Gnash. This show is really above most of the other cartoon output from the 80s and I believe a large part of that is due to the stellar writing team lead by J. Michael Straczynski. It never feels like the show is talking down to the audience, nor does it feel like its only point of existence is to sell action figures. I also love how they use pop and rock songs throughout, none of that public domain crap you hear in a lot of other cartoons.

[​IMG]

The Real Ghostbusters S:1 - Troll Bridge (1986) - This was a really fun episode about a troll who sneaks away from underneath the Queensboro Bridge and finds himself in NY city where he develops an affinity for dancing. The other trolls seize the bridge in retaliation and demand the return of their missing member or else they will attack with Fireflies. The trolls all have a unique and interesting look to them, and once again the dialog is very witty and spot on for the ghostbusting team. I may jump into the actual Halloween episodes next, although I am having a lot of fun just going through this series as a whole.

[​IMG]

Home Improvement S:2 - Haunting of Taylor House (1992) - This is one of the better sitcom Halloween specials out there. In this episode Tim creates a haunted house for Brad's Halloween party, while Brad tries to figure out why his girlfriend didn't come dressed as Raggedy Anne to match his Andy. This was the show's first Halloween special so a lot of the decorations are of the dollar store variety, but the haunted house is a great little set piece with some fun costumes and gags. The decorations get better next season, but the Halloween spirit is still in full swing here.

[​IMG]

Monster House (2006) - I've never been shamed to admit that I am not really a fan of too many CGI animated films. Yes, this includes Pixar films as well. I'm not sure why, but they just never seem to connect with me. With this in mind, I was surprised to see myself not only getting into this film, but actually really enjoying it. The movie starts off with some good scares, some that I could see being too frightening for many children. The old man (Voiced excellently by Steve Buscemi) is very creepy and menacing, not to mention when he dies of a heart attack and phone calls start coming from his abandoned house, very eerie! I also really enjoyed the young characters, with the chubby Chowder being the real stand out. The really nailed the way kids act and talk for the most part. Unfortunately being a kids movie it can't stand on subtle scares throughout and eventually goes a little over the top, with the finale being one long action scene as the house comes alive and chases the kids. It didn't totally ruin the movie for me, but I feel it worked a lot better with the scares coming on a smaller scale.

[​IMG]

Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971) - The first time I saw this film I didn't really dig it. I had made the mistake of watching it in a party environment with a group of friends and lots of beer. This is a very slow film though, and one that needs all your attention for its smaller psychological scares to truly be effective. The movie follows a women who moves into a recently purchased farm house with her husband and their friend after being away for a while due to hearing voices. She is supposably cured, or so she thinks, until the voices return and she as well as the audience must question whether what she hears and sees can be trusted. Coming from her point of view, the whole movie has a disjointed uneasiness throughout, with strange sounds and voices subtlety thrown in throughout. The tension only builds as she begins to crack and fall apart. The film does a great job at creating sympathy for the lead as she has a childlike innocence that you want to trust and root for, as no one else including her husband does. This all blends together with a vampire tale involving a red headed woman who was living in their house when they showed up, and who may or may not be the same occupant who lived in the house a hundred years ago and who drowned in the lake behind the house. There is also the town of people who are covered in bandages and acting very strange and aggressive toward visitors. It is again as already mentioned a slower paced movie, where not a lot really happens, but it keeps you interested throughout and definitely a great conversation piece afterwards.

[​IMG]

Triangle (2009) - Its's hard to get into this film with out giving away any of its many twists and turns, so I will just praise it and say it is very good and definitely worth a watch! It involves a group of people who get lost at sea only to be saved by am ocean liner and then be picked off one by one by a masked killer. That sounds simple enough, and no more different then any other slasher film out there. Where the fun comes in is when the last survivor, a troubled woman with some mysteries of her own, is the last one standing and looks off the boat only to see herself and the other crew members alive and about to be rescued by the crew liner once again. Yes, this movies is a mind f*ck of a movie, with lots of timeline and parallel universe story lines intertwined together. There's lot of fresh and interesting ideas throughout, and when it ends there is lots to talk about and interpret. Watch this movie!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Dave, been so busy that I'm behind in this thread but just wanted to say how entertaining it was to read your thoughts on all of the Black Cat adaptations. Very fun but well written read. Makes me want to start going through the versions I own!

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG][​IMG]
    10/19 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Hobgoblins (1988)

Hobgoblins.
    Hobgoblins.
    What can you do with those Hobgoblins?
    They're over here.
    They're over there.
    Those gosh darn goblins are everywhere!

Well I hope we all learned an important lesson about Hobgoblins.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    10/19 Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Dead Talk Back (1957)
    It's on the same spindle so I threw this in as well. Lost since 1957 and rediscovered by Sinister Cinema in the 90's I do wonder how cinema history would have been different had this seen release. Would there be people defending it after first seeing it in the 50's? Probably not as this is all around terrible and uses a cheap out in its finale to boot so there's not much for even horror fans to like, but I like to imagine a parallel universe where people saw this when it still had a chance with audiences.

[​IMG]
    It's the pizza dominatrix!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    10/19 Svengoolie (1997): Cult of the Cobra (1955)
    Re-run of the same episode from 1997, with some additional editing to mix up the material a bit from other episodes. A fairly good quickie from Universal with a nice opening of many other nice moment but on the whole rather plain. Faith Domergue is surprisingly spooky as the antagonist with something of a Terminator 2 story arch for her character.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  7. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

50. Castle of Blood
    51. The Devil's Backbone

8. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

October 1st: Friday the 13th (1980) (3/5)
    October 2nd: Bereavement (2/5)
    October 4th: Friday the 13th Part 2 (3/5)
    October 4th: Switchblade Romance (5/5)
    October 5th: Return of the Living Dead (1985) (5/5)
    October 6th: Gravity (3D) (5/5)
    October 8th: And Soon the Darkness (2010) (3/5)
    October 11th: Friday the 13th Part 3 in 2D (2/5)
    October 11th: Suspiria (5/5)
    October 15th: Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters (2.5/5)
    October 17th: Friday the 13th part IV (3/5)
    October 18th: Grindhouse (theatrical blu) (5/5)
    October 19th: Movie 43 (2/5)
    October 19th: Maniac (2012) (2/5)
    October 19th: Descent (2007) (2/5)
    October 19th: Night of the Demons 2 (3/5)
    October 20th: V/H/S 2 (2/5)
    October 20th: Immortals (1/5)
    October 21st: Friday the 13th Part V (3/5)
    October 21st: Friday the 13th Part VI (3/5)
    October 22nd: I Spit on Your Grave 2 (3/5)
    October 22nd: Rites of Spring (2011) (3/5)

October 23rd: Dead Season (2012) (3/5) - This started off as a generic by-the-numbers zombie movie, but actually turned out to involve some smartly written situations and was surprisingly effective. Overall average but worth a view.

October 24th: Friday the 13th part VII (3/5) - This holds up as one of the better entries of the series.

October 24th: Friday the 13th part VIII (1/5) - An absolute disjointed mess from start to magically-healing-toxic-waste finish.

9. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

October 24:

Big Ass Spider! (2013)-7/10
    Hocus Pocus (1993)-8/10
    Amityville II: The Possession (1982)-8/10

10. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Conjuring Blu-ray
    The Amityville Horror (1979) Blu-ray
    The Changeling DVD

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

thanks man. yeah, It definitely made me look at them differently, watching them back to back like that. it also made me think a lot about the process of adapting a story to film, and the different possibilities and directions one could go.

if you haven't seen it, I would really recommend the 1934 version - its fairly short, and, while not as iconic as the Universal monsters, it definitely holds its own. its really dark.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah the two early versions are the ones I don't have but they both sound interesting. I'll have to pick them up and maybe throw out my own thoughts some time.

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say you should avoid the 1941 version, but just make sure to keep your expectations firmly in check. it does have some charm, but it's about as sinister as a game of Clue.

That said, though, the Universal Horror: Classic Movie Archive is definitely worth picking up, if you're into that type of film. No masterpieces in the bunch (unlike The Bela Lugosi Collection, which is where you can find the 1934 version), but there are enough entertainingly "ok" films on there to make it worth your while. I'm a sucker for old B&W horror, though, so take all this with a grain of salt.

14. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

** = first time viewing
    10/01 - Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) 5/10
    10/02 - Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) 6/10
    10/03 - The Awful Dr. Orlof (1962) 4/10 **
    10/04 - Black Sunday (1960) **
    10/05 - World War Z [Unrated] (2013) 6/10 **
    10/05 - Stripperland (2011) 4/10 **
    10/06 - A Bay of Blood (1971) 8/10 **
    10/07 - Female Vampire (1973) 1/10 **
    10/08 - Student Bodies (1981) 5/10 **
    10/09 - Return to Horror High (1987) 6/10 **
    10/10 - Kill Baby, Kill (1966) **
    10/11 - Lisa and the Devil (1973) **
    10/11 - The Hitchhiker: A Whole New You (1991) 1/10 **
    10/12 - The Hitchhiker: True Believer (1986) 4/10 **
    10/12 - The Hitchhiker: W.G.O.D. (1985) 5/10 **
    10/12 – Doctor Jekyll vs. The Wolfman (1972) 6/10 **
    10/13 - Crimson (The Man with the Severed Head) (1973) 1/10 **
    10/13 – Berserker: The Nordic Curse (Berserker) (1987) 4/10 **
    10/14 – Victims! (1985) 4/10 **
    10/15 – Elvira's Movie Macabre: The House That Screamed (1969) 7/10 **
    10/16 – Elvira's Movie Macabre: Maneater of Hydra (Island of the Doomed) (1967) 3/10 **
    10/17 – Death Ship (1980) 5/10 **
    10/18 – Ghost Ship (2002) 6/10
    10/18 – Wrong Turn (2003) 6/10 **
    10/19 – Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (2007) 6/10 **
    10/19 – Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead (2009) 2/10 **
    10/20 – Tombs of the Blind Dead [Spanish Uncut] (1972) 6/10 **
    10/21 – The House by the Cemetery (1981) 6/10 **
    10/21 – This Is the End (2013) 8/10 **
    10/21 – Seeding of a Ghost (Zhong gui) (1983) 7/10 **
    10/22 – The Killer Snakes (She sha shou) (1975) 4/10 **
    10/22 – The Night of the Sorcerers (La noche de los brujos) (1974) 6/10 **
    10/23 – Evil Dead II (1987) 5/10 **
    10/23 – Evil Head (2012) **
    10/23 – Kiss of the Damned (2012) 9/10 **
    10/24 – Babysitter Massacre (2013) 4/10 **
    10/24 – Cyrus: Mind of a Serial Killer (Cyrus) (2010) 8/10 **
    [​IMG]
    Kiss of the Damned (2012) 9/10 **
    The vampire Djuna resists the advances of Paolo, but soon gives in to their passion. When her trouble-making sister unexpectedly comes to visit, Djuna's love is threatened, and the whole vampire community becomes endangered.

I’ve seen a number of recommendations for this one and I agree with all of them. KISS OF THE DAMNED feels like a polished Jean Rollin film. It’s filled with atmosphere and the tension is thick. There are a few scenes that have really stuck with me since I viewed the film. There is a great soundtrack that matches some stunning scenery.

Babysitter Massacre (2013) 4/10 **
    A group of young women teamed together in their youth to run a babysitting business, when one of their friends died suddenly the group fell apart. Now years later they are all going their separate ways as college approaches, but on Halloween night someone is torturing and killing every member of the babysitter club.

I really wanted to like this one more. There is so much quality “real girl” nudity on display. And they all have huge titties. Also, the lead (Erin R. Ryan) is charming as hell. The biggest issue I had is that the most significant part of the story just didn’t make sense. Basically, all the girls vehemently hate the girl that survived first attack, but their hate feels completely unjustified and forced. And as the film went on the kills started to feel just as gratuitous as the nudity. Normally that isn’t a problem for me, but in this case something was off. Its probably the way the camera oogled the money shots.

[​IMG]

Cyrus: Mind of a Serial Killer (Cyrus) (2010) 8/10 **
    An independent TV reporter and her cameraman interview a man in regards to a serial killer, the man known by the name of Cyrus.

I’ll admit, I picked this up for Tiffany Shepis. I didn’t realize it also stars Lance Henriksen, Danielle Harris, and Brian Krause (Sleepwalkers). So after going in with extremely low expectations, as I do with all of Shepis’ work, the film ended up blowing me away. Henriksen is fantastic as he recounts the serial killer’s tale and seriously, he could make the phone book sound interesting. The rest of the cast is terrific as well. The story is well done and there are some gruesome kills. Some of it was very unsettling. Unlike most Independent horror, there’s no audio problems or obnoxious camera filters to take you out of the film. The film is well made and I found it to be chilling and entertaining.

15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Cool, both of those sets have been on my wish list, was waiting for the right price. They are decent now, but of course I am broke! I love all of the old black and white, especially Universal, films that I've seen, but I admit I haven't seen that many. I really need to start checking out a lot of them!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

SPAWNINGBLUE'S 2013 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIE WATCHING

Bold = first time viewing. Rating out of 10.

October
    The Fog (1980) 9/10
    This Is the End (2013) 7.5/10
    The Boogens (1981) 7/10
    V/H/S 2 (2013) 7/10
    Frankenstein's Army (2013) 6/10
    The Lords of Salem (2013) 4.5/10
    Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! S:1 - What a Night for a Knight (1969) 6.5/10
    The American Scream (2012) 7/10
    Campfire Tales (1991) 5.5/10
    The Real Ghostbusters S:1 - Mrs. Rogers Neighbourhood (1986) 6/10
    The Simpsons S:24 – Treehouse of Horror XXIII (2012) 4/10
    The Simpsons S:25 – Treehouse of Horror XXIV (2013) 5/10
    Bob’s Burgers S:4 – Fort Night (2013) 6/10
    Halloween Wars S:3 – Zombie Prom (2013) 6.5/10
    The Nest (1988) 6.5/10
    Ticks (1993) 7/10
    Planet of the Vampires (1965) 7/10
    Crystal Lake Memories (2013) 8/10
    Garfield's Halloween Adventure (1985) 7.5/10
    Sharknado (2013) 3/10
    The Real Ghostbusters S:1 - Silmer, Come Home (1986) 6/10
    The Real Ghostbusters S:1 - Troll Bridge (1986) 7/10
    Home Improvement S:2 - Haunting of Taylor House (1992) 7/10
    Monster House (2006) 6/10
    Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971) 7/10
    Triangle (2009) 7.5/10
    War of the Worlds (1953) 7.5/10
    Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! S:1 - Hassle in the Castle (1969) 7/10
    Every Other Day is Halloween (2009) 6/10
    Halloween Wars S:3 – Twisted Nursery Rhymes (2013) 7/10
    Tales That Witness Madness (1973) 6/10
    The Amityville Horror (1979) 7.5/10

[​IMG]

War of the Worlds (1953) - Even though I have seen the remake several times and enjoyed it immensely, (How can you go wrong with Spielberg and Cruise?), I haven never got around to watching the original, even though I have owned it for several years and heard many positive things about it. I am glad that this October I decided to throw it in as I had a blast with it, no pun intended. Yes, the special effects and designs are all a little dated, but that has never really been a bad thing for me. I love the suction cupped fingers of the aliens, the cobra like design of the ships, and of course the cool blast effects that show the skeletons of the victims within. I also love the set design and cinematography in this film, at times reminding me of some of the better Bava Italian flicks. There are several good scenes in this but the highlight was definitely the tension filled scene in the barn, as the two heroes hide from the aliens and eventually retaliate with an axe. Even though I still prefer the remake and the family point of view better (I know it's blasphemous!), I really was surprised how much I enjoyed this version and can't way to watch it again soon, hopefully on Blu-ray!

[​IMG]

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! S:1 - Hassle in the Castle (1969) - This time around, the gang on their way to a fishing trip come across a map of a castle that apparently leads to buried pirate treasure. When they get there they find out the castle is haunted, of course being an episode of Scooby-Doo we know the ghost is just a guise for a thief hoping to scare off any visitors as he searches for the buried gold. This episode like all of early Scooby-Doo was a lot of fun with once again a great foggy atmosphere. I liked how the villain was a magician this time around which helped explain (At least in cartoon terms) some of his more impossible feats of terror.

[​IMG]

Every Other Day is Halloween (2009) - This was an interesting documentary on Dick Dyszel, other wise known as Count Gore De Vol to late night horror host fans. This movies covers his career beginning with his stint as children's host Bozo the Clown, moving onto his Sci-Fi hosting duties as Captain 20, and then finally on to his horror hosting duties as the Count. Not being from Washington, or aware of really too many horror hosts outside of the popular ones such as Elvira or Vampira, it was a lot of fun learning about Gore De Vol. And unlike a lot of low budget docs., this one isn't just another talking head piece, it keeps the viewer interested with various clips from his shows. He seems like a genuine guy who loves what he's doing and I was mostly entertained. I think it could have been cut down a little, maybe to just over an hour without losing too much. I thought the last third when they went into some of the other horror hosts felt a little out of place, and it would have been nice if they interviewed a few more horror celebs other then Steve Niles. Overall though it was worth a watch if you are a fan of old horror hosts or just want to learn more about them.

[​IMG]

Halloween Wars S:3 – Twisted Nursery Rhymes (2013) - There's not too much to say about this show other then I really enjoy it. Tony Todd was the guest judge this time which was pretty exciting, and I thought for the most part the sculptures were more interesting this episode. I find this Season I have really been disagreeing with the judges though. I thought the yellow team's sculpture of the spider trapping Miss Muffet wasn't great, but was still much better then the grey teams butcher with the three blind mice. I thought that one was a muddled mess, and it seems like they keep getting away with issues the other judges find on everyone else's sculptures. I feel the green team has been pretty consistent, but although they seem to always win the first contest they can never come through with the big sculpture.

[​IMG]

Tales That Witness Madness (1973) - This was a decent if not stand out anthology film, where as expected a few stories really worked, and a few not so much. I thought the first two stories were nothing special, one about a boy with an invisible tiger who of course his parents don't believe exists, and the second a weird tale about a guy who travels back in time on an old bicycle while his dead uncle watches him from a picture on the wall. This one didn't make much sense to me to be honest. Thankfully the movie picks up with the last two stories, both delivering stories that I would assume would have been quite taboo at the time. The third one is about a man who brings a tree into his home that has human like features, much to the dismay of his wife. He begins to be infatuated with the tree, and it becomes jealous of his wife. The last story involves voodoo and cannibalism as a man much sacrifice a young virgin by killing her and feeding her to her mother as part of his ritual. Yes, they are both very strange stories, but this is what in turn makes them so very interesting and unexpected. There is also a decent wraparound with Donald Pleasance as a Doctor who is trying to prove what drives people mad.

[​IMG]

The Amityville Horror (1979) - I haven't seen this film in a while, although I remember enjoying it if not being slightly bored. I remember the sequel being far superior. That being said, I don't remember it being as bad as many have recently labeled it. It's strange, but this is a film that each year more and more seem to dislike it and I can't understand why. I understand why it isn't as effective now as it was upon release, so called true ghost movies are a dime a dozen now and the Amityville story has been to many, proven to be a hoax. I'm not sure where I fall in that regard as the Lutz's went to their grave with the mind that it was all real. What I do know though is that I really enjoyed this movie this time around and found it for the most part very entertaining. It could probably be trimmed a little, but I didn't find it as boring as I remembered it to be. There were a lot of great gags here, including the priest scene with the flies, the babysitter trapped in the closet, the red eyes in the window, ect. The acting was a little schizophrenic, at times James Brolin and Margot kidder deliver great performances, Brolin especially with his slow descent into madness, but then at other times they deliver some of the most hammy and over the top acting you can find. Either way, I really enjoyed this and can't wait to revisit the sequel which I have fond memories of.

17. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Night Gallery: The Cemetery

October 2nd

02. Night Gallery: Little Black Bag

October 3rd

03. Night Gallery: Finnegan's Flight

October 4th

04. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

October 5th

05. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)

October 6th

06. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)

October 7th

07. Night Gallery: Class of '99

October 8th

08. Night Gallery: The Return of the Sorcerer

October 9th

09. Night Gallery: Aunt Ada

October 10th

10. Night Gallery: A Question of Fear

October 11th

11. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

October 12th

12. The Shining (1980)