The 2013 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2013.

1. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

29. Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    10/07 Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
    The redheaded step child of the Halloween franchise. The stars should be right here with Irish references, Samhain legends, clockwork robots and analog meets sci-fi thrown in for good measure. I think the IRA would get a kick out of "London Bridge is Falling Down" as the jingle. But let's be honest, the screenplay is a real mess. A lot of the character's are almost entirely unmotivated and the story's trying to be something it's not; a mystery. However, combined with They Live this makes for a rather prophetic film from John Carpenter. I almost want to ask him, "Since the '08 recession have you been wanting to say 'I told you so' to everyone you meet?" I think if I watch it again I could dig it more.

[​IMG]
    10/08 Night of the Demons 2 (1994)
    Doesn't have any of the edge of the original but is an enjoyable follow up. It takes a little too long to get going though and stops and starts too much. Would make a great pairing with Ghoulies III. Surprisingly good CGI in here too, but then I have something of a low quality version. The Blu-ray may be atrotious in that regard but on VHS it probably still looks great.

3. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

October 1st: Friday the 13th (1980) (3/5)
    October 2nd: Bereavement (2/5)
    October 4th: Friday the 13th Part 2 (3/5)
    October 4th: Switchblade Romance (5/5)
    October 5th: Return of the Living Dead (1985) (5/5)
    October 6th: Gravity (3D) (5/5)
    October 8th: And Soon the Darkness (2010) (3/5)

October 11th: Friday the 13th Part 3 in 2D (2/5) - Hm. This one does not hold up well when viewed soon after the first two. It rehashes elements of each too often (beginning of part 2 follows the same structure; shock ending is the same as part 1, etc.), but the worst part is that the obvious 3D shots are amateurish and gimmicky, and really distract and detract from the movie.

October 11th: Suspiria (5/5) - One of my favorite movies ever. Just perfect.

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/2/13

The Walking Dead “The Suicide King” (2013)
    The Walking Dead “Home” (2013)
    The Walking Dead “I Ain’t A Judas” (2013)

10/4/13

The Walking Dead "Clear" (2013)
    The Walking Dead "Arrow on the Doorpost" (2013)
    The Walking Dead "Prey" (2013)

10/5/13

The Walking Dead "This Sorrowful Life" (2013)
    The Walking Dead "Welcome to the Tombs" (2013)
    The Fog (1980)
    Prince of Darkness (1987)

10/6/13

Psycho II (1983)
    Psycho III (1986)

10/7/13

Baron Blood (1972)
    Lisa and the Devil (1974)

10/9/13

American Horror Story: Asylum "Welcome To Briarcliff" (2012)
    American Horror Story: Asylum "Tricks & Treats" (2012)

10/11/13

Dracula (1958)
    The Vampire Lovers (1970)
    Twins of Evil (1971)

5. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

October 11th:

House II: The Second Story (1987)-8/10
    Ernest Scared Stupid (1991)-8/10

6. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 12th: House by the Cemetary

[​IMG]

My enjoyment of Fulci flicks depends very much on my mindset. Even the best of his films must be accepted with some flaws. HbtC, thankfully, has considerable strengths as well: A creepy-looking villain, great use of locations (especially the way Fulci keeps returning to that door leading to the cellar), and the continuous ambiguity regarding the fates of certain characters (Mae suggesting that Mary Freudstein isn't dead, for instance).

Verdict: A great spooky flick if you can abide fake bats, glowy google eyes, and occasionally awkward dubbing/10

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10.10.13 (13)

[​IMG]

Messiah of Evil (1973) (DVD) [​IMG]

No October/Halloween without this eerie classic.

10.11.13 (14)

[​IMG]

Roseanne - BOO! S2E7 (1989) (DVD) [​IMG]

My favorite Roseanne Halloween episode.

8. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

A classic indeed! Is there any truth to the rumor of a Code Red blu-ray release? I know it's difficult to answer with Bill involved, but if it is true, I'd rather wait for the blu-ray to watch it again.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Bill's mentioned it as a possibility so I've been holding out for a Blu-ray of it.

[​IMG]
    10/09 Trick 'r Treat (2007)
    There's a lot to like here but it's a little too disjointed. I'd have to put those pacing problems on the director's shoulders. Too much stopping and starting to allow the audience to keep pace. I enjoy everything about this from the cinematography, production design, casting and story concepts. I think this suffers too much from being both Michael Dougherty's first feature length film AND being his first big budget film. The polish can cover up what isn't working and make it difficult to even see the problems at first; none the less fix them. I'm hopefully though that after repeated viewing I can be more forgiving. I haven't given up on liking this yet (nor Halloween III).

[​IMG]
    And how could I go with mentioning Anna Paquin? I've been a big fan since X-Men but she's come out as quite the horror fan so now my fondness goes deep. This was a fun role for her.

[​IMG]
    10/10 Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932)
    Thanks to a Bears win on Thursday night I had to slip something in before the clock struck twelve and this 1 hour favorite of mine was well suited to the task. I watched the theatrical cut but there is a re-cut suggested by Tim Lucas which I now favor. The story flows better in Lucas's cut and it's almost surprising watching the theatrical cut again how many pieces feel out of place now. For example in the theatrical cut we're shown the fog drenched docks as a title card to Paris and then we cut to a carnival seemingly miles from there. The Lucas cut instead goes immediately to sailors fighting under a foggy streetlamp riverside. There are other continuity cuts that don't match as well theatrically either. It's surprising then that the original script reflects the theatrical cut. Is Hollywood history wrong? ...

And to go even deeper one of my favorite parts is this seemingly non-sequitur limerick sung by the heroine to a picnic:
    My father wanted me to we a funny, funny little man,
    But I would not be wed, I said, to such a funny little man.

Looking up the words I found a biography of Bela Lugosi by Arthur Lennig which apparently speculates that it was added by the director as sour grapes for not being able to do Frankenstein.

The whole plot of the film is that Lugosi wants the girl to be the ape's mate. The "funny little man" is the short harry monkey; that's the joke. It's a wonder sometimes how these authors can be taken seriously. But I digress...

[​IMG]
    10/11 Kiss of the Damned (2012)
    There's been a lot of talk about this being like a Hammer reborn or other European vampire flicks of the 70's and so some good word of mouth lead up to this. However I found it to lack the experimental imagination of Jean Rollin or even Jesus Franco of which they mimic. The story moves too quickly in the beginning to give the audience a reason to believe this is anything more than puppy love, when even Twilight got that much right. So it's hard to take any of it seriously. I believe this is the direction horror is going now. Audience polling shows that in order for a horror film to pull in larger revenue it needs over 50% women. Horror has specialized too much and become inbred for males and as such since the late 90's females have been able to divide and conquer the genre. It's something of a shame too in this case as the mood and production values are spot on for calling back those atmospheric vampire films of yore.

10. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

October 12. Zombieland. 4.5/5.
    Young Frankenstein. 4.5/5.
    Piranha (Remake). 4/5.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  11. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 12th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

23) Hellgate (2012): This one turned out better than I had anticipated, but its still nothing special. The first half of the film really suffers thanks to all the archtypers from various Asian supernatural films of the past decade. But, when the second half rolls through, it does pick up thanks to the "Shadow Realm" and the creepy demons that populate it. Be warned, the CGI is lacking and most of the actors, Carey Elwes in particular, sleepwalk through their performances. (5/10)

24) 6 Souls: This had everything going for it. Great direction and cinematography, a strong cast of actors and an interesting plot. But it manages to get muddled uo as it goes along. What could have been a unique psychological thriler turned out to be a safe, paint by numbers affair. It's not terrible, but I can't fully recommend it. (6/10)

12. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 12th:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Night Gallery: The Cemetery

October 2nd

02. Night Gallery: Little Black Bag

October 3rd

03. Night Gallery: Finnegan's Flight

October 4th

04. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) Blu

October 5th

05. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985) Blu

October 6th

06. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) Blu

October 7th

07. Night Gallery: Class of '99

October 8th

08. Night Gallery: The Return of the Sorcerer

October 9th

09. Night Gallery: Aunt Ada

October 10th

10. Night Gallery: A Question of Fear

October 11th

11. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) Blu

October 12th

12. The Shining (1980) Blu

14. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Back for more:
    7. When A Stranger Calls (remake) (6/10)
    -There is really not all that much interesting about this one, aside from how hot Camilla Belle is in it. Still, something has made me come back for a viewing now and then. It suffers from being the perfect example of horror severely neutered for the PG-13. Without Camilla it would be a 3/10 at best.
    8. Blood Night (7/10)
    -My copy of this was the original release. (I know it was re-released later by Lionsgate or somebody). I only mention this because my copy just flat out does not look very good in some spots, with a mildly fuzzy or blurred image in some scenes. That said, this is a fairly entertaining slasher with a decent amount of blood, a title character that spends most of her time nude, and a good turn for Danielle Harris with an entertaining bit part for Bill Moesely. I'd check it out if I were you, but probably go with the Lionsgate presentation unless it's cut.
    9. Offerings (7/10)
    - An unexpectedly entertaining Halloween clone, with the music in spots being close enough to Carpenter to sue. The killer is really nothing special and the kills are similarly lackluster, but sometimes you just need a product that screams out "80's" to scratch that itch!
    10. Absentia (7/10)
    -A strange one, to be sure. The concept of the entity in the tunnel is pretty unusual, and mostly works. The acting is pretty solid as well, although the movie as a whole has a leisurely pace that it struggles to pull off at times.
    11. The Pact (5/10)
    -I really wanted this one to turn out better, because for a majority of the running time I was enjoying this. Without any spoilers, certain things about the last 15 minutes and plot revelations didn't quite make sense, and I left feeling frustrated that a potentially solid fright flick went down the tubes.
    12. Final Exam (3/10)
    -Although I love the 80's to death, this one is just too poor to find my sweet spot. A lame killer, bloodless kills and several annoying and boring characters make this one of the worst 80's slashers I have ever seen...and I tend to be VERY forgiving about these movies.
    13. The Prowler (9/10)
    -Now THIS is more like it! Savini unchained, atmosphere to spare, and an intimidating and brutal killer (at least until he's unmasked and you see who it is...asif you didn't know already). One of the prime examples of the genre.
    14. Trick R' Treat (8/10)
    -I disn't love this one quite as much as my last viewing, but it's still excellent. A true shame that this wasn't put out in theatres, as what we really need is a Halloween movie that actually has something to do with Halloween! How long has it been now? This movie is drenched in the season from beginning to end, and is mandatory viewing for everybody here. I would actually be surprised if anybody reading this hasn't seen it already.

15. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Wolfman (2010 - unrated cut) Blu-ray
    The Mummy (1999) Blu-ray
    Bram Stoker's Dracula DVD

16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yes, I also bought the official DVD-R release from the movie's website, which was available maybe a year or two before the LionsGate release. They went way overboard with the filters. The outtakes on the disc look MUCH better than the actual movie.

17. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

A disappointing October this year, life keeps getting in the way.

October 5
    [​IMG]

October 12
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  18. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 8th-

Effects (1980)

October 9th-

Diary of the Dead (2007)
    Welcome to the Jungle (2007)

October 10th-

The Last Broadcast (1998)
    The Blair Witch Project (1999)

October 11th-

Paranormal Activity 3 (2011)
    Paranormal Activity (2007)
    Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)
    Paranormal Activity 4 (2012)
    Insidious (2010)

I hadn't planned on watching all the Paranormal Activity films, but after watching three I decided what the hell. The original plan was to watch part 3 and then Insidious.

19. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

First weekend of October:

Halloween III: Season of the Witch: The Myers-less "black sheep" of the Halloween series is actually a great horror movie in its own right. It's a combination supernatural / mystery / techno-thriller with a great holiday feel to it (despite being set in sunny California). Tom Atkins is The Man here. In his panning of the film, the late great Roger Ebert described lead actress Stacey Nelkin as an appealing young actress deserving of better roles. I agree wholeheartedly with the first part, but she does well here too. It's good to see this movie move out of Michael's long shadow in recent years and gain a following of its own.

The Gorgon: I hadn't seen this Hammer film before, but always wanted to because of its departure from the usual Dracula / Frankenstein / Mummy stable to use a creature from Greek mythology. Unfortunately, the title Gorgon (Megera, not Medusa) doesn't look very good and isn't used very much. The central mystery of who is possessed by the Gorgon isn't necessary and doesn't make much sense, and the whole affair is pretty dull.

The Mist: A monster movie with a survival-horror setup not unlike a zombie movie. The creatures look good, except for some occasional obvious CGI. It's well acted by a cast that includes several faces now familiar from The Walking Dead. In fact, it's a real hoot to see Andrea and Dale switch roles here; while deciding on a course of action, Andrea says that people are basically good, and Dale says that he has no faith in human nature. As for the unusually grim ending:
    I respect the movie ending, even though I personally don't like it. It's cool that they would put out such a dark, downer of an ending. That took balls. Personally though, as a huge kaiju / monster fan, I don't like the mist breaking and the military moving in to clean everything up. I prefer the book's ending; it's more ambiguous in that we never find out how far the mist has spread and that it could cover the world. They substituted a more personal apocalypse for a possible real apocalypse. Besides, as soon as the final shots were fired, I knew what was coming.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  20. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10.12.13 (15)

[​IMG]

The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia (2013) (Blu-ray) [​IMG]

I still think the title is stupid. Anyway, part 2 has nothing to do with the first one. Ghosts of Georgia tells the story of a young family moving into a new rural house but the property is haunted by the spirits of the undead. The mother is gifted with second sight but tries to numb her visions with medication. The daughter has visions, too, and so does her aunt who moved into a trailer in the garden.
    This was actually solid and beautifully shot. Acting was decent, and the f/x, while annoying at times (appearing/disappearing jittery ghosts) were above average.
    The movie goes straight to the jugular, so to speak, because something supernatural happens about every 3 minutes or so, which is kinda unusual in my opinion. The director must've been hyperactive. I prefer a set up and introduction.