Tales From the Hood

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Oct 22, 2013.

1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

The BD is amazing compared to any other version of this I've seen (cable, laser, vhs, dvd) and has tons more picture on all sides. Click a couple fullscreen compares to see just how bad previous versions have been. Must own for fans.

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

so happy i had a chance to revisit this. i'd only seen it once many years ago on vhs, and it hadn't made any kind of impression. for some reason, as a kid, i really didn't like anthology films. i was also a pretty sheltered, rural white kid...a film with themes like this might as well have been in Swahili for all I could relate to it.

3. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Best anthology ever. Period.

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I don't think the other screen shots are that bad, yes the blu is better, but not as much as an upgrade as this for example:
    http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=9194&d2=9193&c=3713

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I've definitely seen a worse copy of Tales From the Hood because I agree that that DVD doesn't look too bad. Chopping Mall is a massive upgrade though, wow!

hots4 likes this.
  6. bigdaddyhorse

Damn man, I don't want to buy Chopping Mall again, but might have to now.:(
    Although I think Tales is just as much of upgrade as that one, and the new sound mix on the BD is amazing.

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I have an extra used copy!

8. bigdaddyhorse

How much, and with slip?

9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

fceurich39 and Workshed like this.
  10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Trailer for the sequel came out as well as a release date!

baggio, Zombie Dude, dave13 and 2 others like this.
  11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I see a hoodoo doll!

This is an easy blind buy if I've ever seen one, especially with the same filmmakers involved. Sounds like a perfect Halloween treat.

Natas and fceurich39 like this.
  12. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

My thoughts exactly! Trying to keep my expectations in check because it'll be virtually impossible to come close to the original, but just as you stated.......has October fun written all over it. Cannot wait.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  13. CPT HOOK

$13.39 pre-order for the Tales From The Hood 2 blu-ray on Amazon.

Great price for a new release. Especially one I was going to buy regardless. :)

14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I hope that for everyone looking forward to this it meets expectations, but I thought it was awful, it starts bad with the terrible CGI dancing skeletons and never raises much there after, the wrap around story is bad and the most of the tales were poor, the Emmett Till tale was interesting and quite a tonal change from the rest of the movie, but at 110 minutes it's was a long tough watch.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Zombie Dude and fceurich39 like this.
  15. Zombie Dude

That is a lot longer than I was expecting. I'm still curious to watch it but also more weary now.

16. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I was looking forward to this one, but this 10-minute preview clip killed my enthusiasm:

The original is awesome because it delivers its message in a tremendously entertaining way. Like early Romero, the political subtext is never far from the surface, but you can ignore it if you want because there's enough story to keep you occupied. This sequel seems to totally lack that balance. It's talky, preachy, and off-putting because there's nothing compelling to distract you from the agenda-pushing. The ham-fisted tone and stereotypical evil white characters seem borrowed from a sitcom I never want to see. Setting the wrap-around in a bright, sterile-looking environment seems like a big mistake, too. The mortuary setting definitely contributes atmosphere to the original.

I may give this a shot when it hits Hulu or Amazon Prime for free, but it's a definite pass as a blind buy.

17. Zombie Dude

I watched this maybe a week ago now and have to agree that it pretty much sucks. It's just way too long with really average to just plain poor stories that don't feel anywhere near as relevant as the ones in the original film.

I will say I was impressed with the cgi effects and look of the film. It looked really polished for something I'm assuming had a real low budget. Too bad the content is just mind numbing. Stick with the original.

18. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

This is available on Netflix right now. However, it is absolutely terrible. I love the first one, but this sequel is shit.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. CPT HOOK

So this is interesting.

There's a movie on one of the Cinemax channels right now called American Nightmares. New movie, anthology horror, directed by Rusty Cundieff and Darin Scott, and looking into it, it appears to be Tales From The Hood 3. I don't know if they had leftover segments from when they did Tales From The Hood 2 or what, but it appears to be in the same mold.

It was almost over when I found it, but I set it up to record when it's replaying on Thursday.

fattyjoe37 and fceurich39 like this.
  20. CPT HOOK

Okay, I've now seen American Nightmares. It is still available on Cinemax OnDemand through the 16th, if anyone is interested.

If you didn't like Tales From The Hood 2, you probably won't be into it. It's pretty similar in tone and feel. However, I will say this is much better than TFTH2. Or at least much more fun. I'm surprised they didn't use some of these segments for the much more seen TFTH2 than the ones they actually used. It probably would have been received better. But whatever: I consider this Tales From The Hood 3.

Danny Trejo is the host this time around. We get seven tales this time, and they're all extremely fast and fun. The first story is by far the weakest, involving a woman who uses a dating service and winds up with an interesting partner. For the most part, this just made me want to go watch the excellent The Companion (1994), featuring Bruce Greenwood as a psychotic sex robot who becomes a little too attached to its user, and terrorizes her throughout the Jarvis house from Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter. Bear with it through this mediocre segment.

The second segment is fair, but not one of the better ones. Jay Mohr stars as a scuzzy prosecutor who puts the wrong man on death row, and eventually receives his comeuppance from beyond the grave. Eddie Steeples and Vivica A Fox also appear. This one is fine, but it's a pretty standard and straight-forward tale.

Now we get to the good stuff, as the next three segments are all gold. All of these are better than the segments in Tales 2 (although I really loved the first segment in that). The third story stars Brendan Sexton III as a racist cop who moves his family to a town where "no blacks allowed... ever!" The fourth story features a deranged Chris Kattan as a client who requests his prostitute dress up as a clown. The fifth story involves the comeuppance of a misogynistic right-wing radio host, and it's absolutely hilarious and macabre. James Duval appears.

The sixth segment is a weaker one, but still not bad. Interestingly, this one features Clarence Williams III, who played Mr. Simms in the original Tales From The Hood. The movie ends on a high note with it's seventh and final segment, involving a bunch of radical pro-lifers who kidnap a woman from an abortion clinic, unaware that the baby she carries is a result of a rape.

Overall, I thought this was a fun anthology horror. Considering it's available on Cinemax, if you have the channel it's worth a look.

fceurich39 and fattyjoe37 like this.