Synapse Films: Titles Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn Francis, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Everyone that was an employee at The Archive is now officially employed by VS (not that they really weren’t before) so they’re cranking it out. They are also remodeling The Archive so it’s gonna be really sweet taking up 3-4 floors. Shoot, I may quit my job and join ‘em - haha.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=17950568&postcount=4122

WOW! That's absolutely ridiculous.

And a big part of it too is that, what, these guys have nothing better to do? They have a to-do list a mile long and instead they decided to pull out an old film negative and ram it through a scanner for shits and giggles? And post it up on social media? What did they think would happen?

Ridiculous. I've been pretty patient with them before now but that really pisses me off. I thought it great that they were doing Lemora in HD to, at best, break even but now I know they were just slow jerking us before climax then letting go. Shit can happen to materials when running it through a scanner and they had already stated they didn't think it economical with the low DVD sales so there wasn't much intent behind this stunt.

Bill Olsen hasn't even pulled something that shitty. This really cuts the legs off of my opinion of them. It's idiotic and tone deaf at the same time.

Ridiculous.

Katatonia, Steel76, Kim Bruun and 2 others like this.
  3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That is very ridiculous of them. I don't personally care for Lemora but I know that the picture they posted had a lot of people very excited. If what they say now is true then why not mention that in the post of the photograph at the very least? Seems like a major dick move to get people excited for nothing.

They need to start releasing more films rather than announcing/teasing them (and then backtracking).

Katatonia, Steel76 and hots4 like this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I hate how Synapse always takes forever to finish their damn transfers, and then releases them as overpriced steelbooks. Just give us a choice to buy a standard edition at the same time.

Look at 88Film, another company run by only two persons, yet they make and releases amazing new color corrected transfers of cult movies, within just a few months, and there are plenty of releases all year long, at low prices as well. Sure the early releases was mediocre, but today they make amazing releases of Italian movies.

All we hear from Synapse is excuses all the time.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Zombie Dude, Katatonia and russweiss like this.
  5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I didnt know 88 film was run by just 2 people.

The difference here is 88 films utilities a lot of already completed HD prints for there releases. Where synapse are just over the top anal when it comes to prints.

But even with the 88 film produced masters. They still kick out more content.

Also for me I Don't understand synapse releasing. For example people (myself included) have been hoping 'the Kindred' would be released soon, we know they are working on it. Then new synapse release arrives and it's 'hot dog the movie' and it's like WHAT! Where has this cone from? As anyone been smashing down their doors for this? How one this gets releases before the kindred when they have been working on that for years.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  6. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wonder if they are even working on The Kindred? After all this time, it should be finished and released by now. At this rate, I will die of old age, before it’s released.

and what about Deadly Spawn?
    Is it still happening? Or was it just a rumour?

Zombie Dude, Katatonia and hots4 like this.
  7. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Deadly Spawn was definitely announced and was even mentioned in a January 1st 2018 post on their Facebook page with Massacre at Central High, Crocodile, The Kindred and others. Creature from Black Lake wasn't mentioned on the list, nor was Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural. Don may have abandoned his search for usable elements for The Creature from Black Lake, but he had teased Lemora. This whole "no plans at the moment" situation is deeply unsatisfying. If you have the rights, do something with it or sell them to someone who will. If you don't have the rights, just come out and say so. As good as the quality of their output is, Synapse is in some regards the most frustrating boutique label. As chaotic as the whole Severin mid year sale and ensuing shipping process has been, they'll still get you your movies faster. The way I see it, I've been waiting 4 years for Lemora. My Severin order will have taken just over a month. :p

Katatonia and gobad2003 like this.
  8. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I really never understood why labels would announce titles before they've even started working on them, it would make a lot more sense and with labels with Synapse it would probably also lead to a lot less frustration if they would just not announce anything until they're done or almost done working on it.

Katatonia likes this.
  9. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I get the way Synapse does things isn't perfect, but I don't understand them suddenly becoming the go to "worst distributor ever" on forums lately. At least when they release something you know it'll be available everywhere (except for their site exclusives, which get scaled down wide releases eventually) and it'll be full of features and great picture/sound. I'll take them really finessing a title and taking a long time to release it any day over a Code Red or Dark Force release full of social media drama and only being for sale on sites that are never open. Their discs also never have the quality of Synapse and have become increasingly bare bones. They have also definitely been teasing discs that have not been released for longer than Synapse, yet they get none of the guff. Maybe it's lowered expectations cause everyone knows it'll be a shit show right out of the gate with them?

Katatonia likes this.
  10. Kim Bruun

I'm not saying "worst distributor ever," but I am frustrated with the lack of transparency. Why not do Lemora? If it turns out it's all down to lack of time and inclination, sell it to Arrow or Vinegar Syndrome. If it's something else, then maybe I'd be more forgiving if the situation was explained. The thing with Synapse is that you find yourself going from "it will look and sound glorious when it eventually comes out" to "is it actually going to see a release at all?"

Demon Dave gets plenty of flack for his bizarre antics, as Bill has for his abrasive attitude towards his consumer base. Also, Synapse teased Lemora about four years ago. Dark Force has barely been around for 2-and-a-half. And I daresay some of Code Red's output has been gorgeous (The Dark, Slithis) - probably depending on whether someone is doing a fresh restoration for Bill, or if he's dusting off some old scan. Dark Force too has had output of varying quality (I don't think I could ever sit through their presentation of God's Bloody Acre again). I'm not denying that Synapse has a better batting average in terms of technical presentation. And I don't want some ugly old scan with digital noise reduction and artifacts. But... I'd rather have something taken from imperfect source materials if that's all there is to no release at all. With regards to your closing statement, I can't think of a Code Red title being teased as long as, say, The Kindred or Lemora. Not trying to be contrary, just curious if you can think of an example I've forgotten. ;)

Zombie Dude, Katatonia and russweiss like this.
  11. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

The first time I ever heard of a distributor teasing something for years was The Farmer. Code Red announced it in 2006 and it still isn't out.

Also I was talking more about the people on Blu-ray.com spewing venom at Synapse than anyone on here. Basically every label's thread over there is now dedicated to bashing Synapse.

gobad2003 likes this.
  12. Kim Bruun

I actually recall Bill flatly saying on more than one occasion that the rights owner wanted more money for The Farmer than Bill expected to make on the release. I'm guessing he has the materials, but not the money to release it.

Katatonia likes this.
  13. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

The Farmer will come out sooner or later. My bet is early next year if Demon Dave keeps pressng him.

Katatonia likes this.
  14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I loved this release. Tell me which door to smash and I'll smash it.

Zombie Dude and Katatonia like this.
  15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's hearing about this new level of unprofessionalism that degraded their status in my eyes. Film negatives are prone to damage and to run a reel from Lemora through a scanner with little intent to follow through on a full master is worse than negligent it's needlessly reckless. And they, being in the industry as long as they have, should know that. The social media post is just icing on the cake because they should also know exactly how the Internet would react too. So it's a childish attitude in both regards. And their thick headed response five years later shows they haven't matured much. They've reaped what they've sowed as far as I'm concerned.

And with someone like Cauldron selling out American Rickshaw is Lemora really that out of the range of profitability?

It doesn't make them the "worst" but I'm much less inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt now. I've bought a few steelbooks of theirs more or less because I thought it was funding something I wanted more like Lemora. But now it's clear they aren't who I thought they were so I'm planning accordingly. But after all it's not like they pulled a release just to spite us like Bill openly did with Necromancy. Anyone remember that?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  16. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Fair play. I'm glad your happy with the release.

17. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I'm not 100% buying the "test scan" story. Lemora was never marked as "coming soon" in any of the recent product catalogs since the initial 2015 hint, but there had been inklings of progress, since that time, granted from 3rd party sources that were neither Don nor Jerry. Bruce mwntioned that there was more to it, than he could get into, and I have to believe that there is. Unfortunately, we'll likely never know, for sure.

18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I get the impression Dark Force is stringing people along with regards to The Farmer. Both Bill and Triple D have acknowledged at varying points that it's actually Walt's title, solely, not Bill's.

gobad2003 likes this.
  19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well that's a big part of the problem. Why can't they just clear the air and let people know what the story is? Why be so coy and cryptic? Nobody likes that. I'm sure rights holders come into play but surely Synapse can give us more info than a misleading picture that was released years ago.

Steel76 and Kim Bruun like this.
  20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

chancetx, Angelman and zbinks like this.