Synapse Films: Titles Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn Francis, Dec 29, 2010.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

As I recall Suspiria steelbook was on Amazon.com for something like $79.99

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

gobad2003, Colin, Steel76 and 2 others like this.
  3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That looks real nice. You can see so much more detail in those caps. You can tell the old ones were also DNR'd and they just look murky by comparison.

russweiss, Steel76 and Katatonia like this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, even on release, I wasn't impressed by the old BD transfer. It was better than the DVD, but the DNR was annoying.
    Glad we finally got a proper remaster now.

Katatonia, russweiss and Zombie Dude like this.
  5. Zombie Dude

I'm curious to revisit the film now that it actually looks good lol.

Katatonia and Steel76 like this.
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I've been seeing Suspiria UHD going out of stock most everywhere and I'm getting a little paranoid Synapse won't reprint it as they're telling people Ultra HD doesn't sell well enough for them to do their next releases in UHD so I've decided now or never and can justify it as assuring myself a slipcover (for something like Suspiria I do like to have it).

I found the cheapest was on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspiria-4...w-4k-Transfer-Argento-All-Region/303385729526

Which turned out to be from CAV directly when the digital transaction completed so that worked out well enough.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  7. Zombie Dude

Synapse can be weird about giving straight forward answers to things too. I wonder if they could clarify?

I know on Facebook recently someone said they couldn't wait for LEMORA and they replied saying there's no plans for that one. I asked how that was the case since they showed us they were working on it in the past and never got an answer.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Steel76 likes this.
  8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Same if you ask about plans for a regular release of a pricey steel book... “not at this time”

Horrorphilly, Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I sorta hate Synapse’s steelbook method of releasing movies then dropping all the extras when they release a standard edition. I feel like they’d probably sell more copies if they just put stuff out in standard cases with extras like most boutique labels do.

I dunno maybe it’s just me, but I’ve never been a steelbook guy.

That Suspiria UHD is a stunner though, so if it is going OOP I suggest snagging a copy while you still can. One of their best releases hands down.

~Matt

hots4, Steel76, Katatonia and 3 others like this.
  10. Zombie Dude

That I can understand more because they want to trick people into getting the Steelbook, as there's usually always been a standard release later.
    Still, it makes me like them a little less as a company when they can't be more straight forward to people's queries and this silly business model of high priced Steelbook's first.

hots4, Colin, Steel76 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I have the steel, but you guys have convinced me to pick up the 4K as well, especially since I upgraded my system recently.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

So I need to hang onto the steel...?

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I think the Demons movies might be the only ones where they dropped the extras? Most of the others are the same disc(s) as the steelbook.

Myron Breck and fattyjoe37 like this.
  14. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

More bad news from Synapse. I believe they've given up on Creature from Black Lake because they couldn't find the elements for it, and they recently said that their search for the 35 mm foreign cut of Chorakhe / Giant Crocodile came up empty. I was really looking forward to both of those and would very much prefer and imperfect presentation with print damage to no release at all. Lemora: A Child's tale of the Supernatural is one of my favourite titles in the Synapse catalogue, and it's a bitter disappointment to have them tease us with a release and then, with no explanation whatsoever, read that there are no plans for a release. I appreciate the work that Synapse puts into their technical presentations, but their release pace is frustrating, and I dread the thought of them having the rights or materials to titles they might never get around to doing.

On a positive note, those screengrabs from their release of The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue look absolutely stunning!

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

With the exception of CD-soundtracks, have there been any steelbook-exclusive extras since Demons and Demons 2?

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

If anyone would know you would Z. ;) I don't think Synapse has excised extras since the Demons for the very simple reason that it costs time and money to make a new disc sans extras. So it's somewhat self defeating when trying to ring out a few extra bucks. But it's funny how that original sin lives on.

I'm pretty befuddled by the whole Lemora situation. Originally they said the DVD didn't sell well enough to warrant HD (which I could believe). Then out of the blue they announce it in the works leading one to believe it was imminent... Then almost exactly FIVE silent years later they say "no plans" which is a "wha?!?" I was really looking forward to that. Hopefully they mean there's no date on the calendar but those words aren't promising. Rumor mill is already at work saying the rights owner wants too much money now and this has left Synapse's grasp. If Synapse really did lose the rights before finishing their Blu-ray I hope that's a wake up call to them. "Real artists ship!" :rolleyes:

Glad I didn't sell my Lemora DVD last October. And I think I'll hang on to my Deadly Spawn disc now too.

Zombie Dude and zbinks like this.
  17. sinister

sinister Active Member

Got the Synapse Living Dead at Manchester Morgue steelbook today and just watched it, looks fantastic.

I hadn't watched it since getting the old Anchor bay DVD tin box set about 20 years ago so it was almost like seeing it for the first time. OK, so it's not the upgrade that Suspiria got from its remastering as the original film elements here are a bit soft and grainy in comparison, but this must be the definitive transfer and I can't imagine it ever looking any better.

Soundtrack great as well, remixed in 5.1 and there was even some good surround and subwoofer action at appropriate moments. (Which really just makes me even more annoyed about their Tenebrae release being mono only, but that's another story!).

Movie itself is better than I remember it being too. Definitely recommend this release even if you've never seen the movie before, although maybe waiting for a cheaper single disc version would be the way to go if you're not sure about it.

Zombie Dude, Colin and russweiss like this.
  18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I have to say I'm confused about this company, I appreciate they do great prints but there release schedule is poor and I know they have said that it takes time.

OK, answer me this. We can all agree Vinegar syndrome prints are great, yes? Well how come they can get 3 to 4 releases out a month and synapse can't do that in a year? The companies are around the same size and the prints from what I've seen are on a par.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Synapse only has 2 employees and they do the remastering, direct sales, conventions, everything. Vinegar Syndrome has at least 6, I think.

20. Zombie Dude

Still, even with the extra people they are getting monthly release out. Synapse seems to have a few a year if we're lucky.

hots4 likes this.