Synapse Films: Titles Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn Francis, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah same, I thought Massacre at Central High was never going to happen. Sucks that the company they hired did a shitty restoration, but so happy that it's still coming.

~Matt

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Kim Bruun and Steel76 like this.
  3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Excellent news about Kindred. There's been so much talk about it this past decade I'm very curious to see it now.

I wonder what's happening with Lemora? That went from, "Sales weren't strong enough to justify a Blu-ray release" to "Here's a picture of us restoring Lemora!" really quickly but that was a few years ago now so you have to wondering if something happened there too. Or a press release could go out this afternoon. :D

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

***OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT***

Coming to Blu-ray 10/29 from Synapse Films!

WATCH ME WHEN I KILL (a.k.a. IL GATTO DAGLI OCCHI DI GIADA)!

The film will be presented in anamorphic 1.85:1 widescreen (1080p on the Blu-ray), with DTS-HD MA English and 2.0 mono English and Italian soundtracks on the Blu-ray and Dolby Digital 2.0 mono English and Italian audio on the DVD, with optional English subtitles for the Italian tracks. The disc will come with reversible cover art (see below) and the following extras:

Audio commentary by film historian and author Nathaniel Thompson
    “In Defense of WATCH ME WHEN I KILL”: Interview with academic Mikel Koven
    Three short films from director Antonio Bido: DANZA MACABRA, MENDELSSOHN IM JUDISCHEN MUSEUM, BERLIN and MARCHE FUNEBRE D’UNE MARIONETTE
    Isolated music-only track
    Original theatrical trailer, TV spot and radio spots

[​IMG][​IMG]

f.ramses, SilentScreams and Katatonia like this.
  5. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I watched my DVD copy of Watch Me When I Kill once and then got rid of it. I remember nothing specific about it.

I am excited about Synapse doing Tombs of the Blind Dead, and back when they announced Massacre at Central High, Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural, Chorake (Crocodile), and The Deadly Spawn, I was giddy with anticipation. But it's weird with Synapse. They can announce something, and then years pass before it materialises. Sometimes, you almost get the impression that they've lost interest in the project and start to fear it might never happen. Then something like Watch Me When I Kill pops up, and you can't help but wonder why it's apparently taking precedence over a more anticipated/popular title like The Kindred.* To be fair, I can find mention of Synapse doing Watch Me When I Kill as early as January 2018, so it's not completely out of left field, but it's definitely a title I had forgotten they'd announced.

*I know there can be many reasons for this, including some very practical ones. The Kindred ain't even a personal favourite of mine, but it's one of those titles fans have been clamouring about for years.

6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

There have already been blu-ray releases of Watch Me When I Kill in the UK as well as Germany so I would much prefer any of the other titles that Kim Bruun mentioned.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I believe Synapse placed an all stop on everything else when they were working on Suspiria. It was an expensive acquisition I'm sure and required a lot of hard work to do. And Suspiria had been routinely botched by other distributors for decades so a lot of eyes were on it. So it took all of Don's time and there's really no one else directly working on these masters (not a slight against Jerry, but from my own understanding he's purely the business end of the operation). So that's put a company that already takes its time a few more years behind.

People always talk about problems. But conversely... Sometimes a release can come together quickly. If you have a good starting point and a transfer that needs little work it can done easily. Apparently all the elements where there for Watch Me When I Kill to be done quickly and efficiently so they did it. I don't know how they shuffled things behind the scenes to do it but we got a Synapse release and that's the important thing.

To understand Synapse I think The Deadly Spawn is a good case in point. Synapse produced an excellent DVD. But the rights owner wanted to do a quick turn around on HD; Synapse didn't. So the rights owners took it to Elite who basically put out the DVD master on a Blu-ray. It was crap. Nobody was happy. So the rights owner did a replacement program. It was even worse. People were even less happy. So the rights owner brought it back to Synapse and everyone was happy. But we're back to square one. There's a lesson there that seems to have been forgotten.

Could Synapse do a quick turn around on some of these titles and put out a decent release? Certainly. They did it during the early years of Blu-ray putting out HD masters that weren't much better than their SD counterparts. But they were mediocre at best and it quickly became apparent that more effort is needed for HD. A great Blu-ray lays in our future but it's slow going.

Lemora is just about the top of my want list. But I also want it done right. Synapse was my dream company for Suspiria; even over Criterion. This is where I want Lemora to be because I also want it done perfectly. And I know Synapse is the best place for that to happen. What I don't want is a spit polish of a DVD master to silence a few who ultimately just find something else to grumble about anyways. To put pressure on them to do more faster ultimately means we're asking the best in the business to lower the bar when the bar industry wide is already too low.

I see nothing wrong with one label slowly but surely putting out pitch perfect releases.

m@ggot and x666x like this.
  8. Kim Bruun

I realise that. Like I said, There can be many reasons for the order in which releases happen. I'm just saying, I'm hoping that the man hours going into a relatively anonymous and forgettable giallo won't push back the good stuff too much. ;) And I even forgot to mention The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, another more popular title which Synapse has. And yes, that one is already out on Blu (a good release from BU but not beyond improvement), but so is Watch Me When I Kill.

In all fairness, the Synapse release isn't always the definitive one. Case in point, the most recent Arrow release of Phenomena. Hate to break it to you, but the Arrow release blows the Synapse release out of the water. Yes, Synapse has a well-earned reputation for excellence, but there are companies that frequently match them in terms of technical presentation, and which work at a faster pace.

Long story short, I'll be glad to have Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural, The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, Chorake, Tombs of the Blind Dead, Massacre at Central High, and The Deadly Spawn from Synapse, but if there was a crowd funding campaign for free coffee but the bucketful for the Synapse staff, I'd contribute.. :)

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Sure. But it's truly a case of one man's trash another man's treasure. I was disappointed in LD@MM's announcement. Not a favorite of mine (I just watched the DVD before I sold it the other month and confirmed that fact). But I didn't crap all over that announcement. Blind Dead however I'm thrilled with. That's Suspiria level of excitement for me. Whereas more Giallo, even if lower tier, has my interest so I'm looking forward to Watch Me. Then Synapse's release of Django the Bastard has gone by completely forgotten! Sometimes is seems like people focus too much on what an announcement isn't. We all have different tastes. Not every announcement from every company is going to take us over the moon every time. The Arrow threads are especially bad with this as monthly they have a bunch of "nothing for me, where's my jam?" and I have to wonder why even put forth the effort to post that? You're probably not going to get a good answer and you're cluttering the useful posts that help other evaluate the announcements.

Oh yeah, I mean, Arrow is batting 500 at a monthly pace no doubt about it. Whereas Synapse has become a utility hitter brought in once and a while so the inevitable strike outs sting even more. I don't want to climb up Synapse's butt. In a way I feel they their time could be better spent elsewhere when they take on Phenomena or Tenebre with old lackluster transfers and putting in so much work. When in a few years we'll probably get an effortless German or UK transfer from a 4k scan.

Come to think of it with Django the Bastard in August and What Me When I Kill in October we're seeing a veritable smorgasbord of Synapse release! They seem to be playing things very close to the chest now with the reluctant announcement of Tombs of the Blind Dead less than a month before a theatrical screening; only because word leaked. And we're less than two months from WMWIK's release date. So maybe they're getting back into a more routine release schedule. One can always hope right?

10. Kim Bruun

My post bothered you. Fair enough, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. I don’t care for the sometimes very negative posts when Arrow does their monthly announcements on Facebook. I’m like, okay Arrow has nothing for you this month? Relaxe, they’ll get around to something you like eventually. The situation with Synapse is that they have so many cool titles on their slate, but the time frame makes me nervous. I guess what I’m trying to say is, I wish Synapse was in a position to expand and release at a faster rate. Their catalogue and overall quality deserve it. :)

As for cluttering, it’s a free forum as long as you maintain a civil tone, right? My pet peeve clutter post is the “my order just shipped” post. I always enjoy reading the thoughts of others when their order arrives - whether they like the movie and find the technical presentation good. But the whole, ‘my order just shipped’ is just a bit trivial to me and not very useful. But I gave up bitching about it long ago. Until now. :p

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  11. Kim Bruun

For the record, I never called Watch Me When I Kill trash. I don't remember it as trash. In fact, I don't remember much about it at all. Except maybe that it was competent but unremarkable. I like gialli, but I prefer those that either manage to be genuinely suspenseful (like Torso), are dramatically engaging (like Don't Torture a Duckling or What Have You Done to Solange?), or are downright sleazy (like Giallo in Venice). The stuffy, convoluted kind, not so much. But hey, I love even lower tier slashers, and have read countless posts stating how boring The Prey is. I don't feel the need to shush them. I'm still excited about the release and looking forward to re-evaluating the movie.

But hey, I've derailed the Synapse thread enough. Would you guys recommend Django the Bastard if I have no particular affinity for spaghetti westerns but love them if they're brutal and exploitive? :)

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Hate to bump a thread a week later, but I didn't mean to single you out by quoting you or puts words in your mouth. I was speaking generally and with some hyperbole. I don't think anyone on this forum has been unnecessarily harsh on Synapse, a specific movie or in general.

Don't know much about Django, I've decided I don't enjoy spaghetti westerns enough to blind buy them, but over the past week I've noticed Synapse does have a couple of releases now that's gone unreported here:
    Slaughter of the Innocents
    Undertaker

It's interesting that Synapse picked up Slaughter of the Innocents. The plot sounds like it's a bit ahead of its time and I'd like to see that.

And I'll watch just about any Japanese zombie movie so I'll pick up Undertaker even though the reviews aren't making it sound too good. But it seems like another Stacey which I enjoyed so I'll take a chance on it.

13. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

Django the Bastard is not your typical spaghetti western and is not particularly violent although it has a grim atmosphere. It's a western with horror overtones and makes for some great atmosphere and imagery. Also ignore the title as it is not connected to the original Django which is a better example of a violent and exploitative SW.

For those interested in SW/horror crossovers I would recommend And God Said to Cain (directed by Anthony Margheriti) as the best example.

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Not to add fuel to the fire lol but I gotta agree that the Arrow remaster of Phenomena blows away the Synapse.

~Matt

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Without a doubt. Arrow did use a 4k source though, where Synapse did not (and it shows).

Steel76 likes this.
  17. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Not sure if this was mentioned here already, but the insert inside the Watch Me When I Kill blu-ray lists the following as COMING SOON from Synapse:

Alice In Wonderland (Bud Townsend)
    The Convent
    Crocodile
    The Dragon Lives
    The Deadly Spawn
    (All New 4K Restoration)
    The Headless Ghost
    Horrors Of The Black Museum
    Hot Dog... The Movie
    Joe Dante's Trailers From Hell Collection
    The Kindred
    42nd Street Forever: The Peep Show Collection Volume 40 And Beyond
    Hail!
    I'll Never Die Alone
    Killers
    The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue
    Massacre At Central High
    (Director Supervised Edition)
    McBain
    Patty
    Rooms For Tourists
    Running Time
    The Steel Fisted Dragon
    Suckers
    T.A.G. The Assassination Game
    Today We Kill, Tomorrow We Die
    Watch 'Em Die

Kim Bruun, loutoad23 and russweiss like this.
  18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

No Tombs of the Blind Dead which is interesting because the restoration has already premiered and Don said that we should see a retail released around April 2020 which is surprisingly specific from him. Considering many of these listed titles are probably farther away than that it's a noticeable omission.

Then again they may just be planning to put this identical insert in TofBD so why pay for the extra ink?

19. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Massacre At Central High (Director Supervised Edition)

Thank. Fucking. God.

Body Boy likes this.
  20. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Now I'm curious why that's a big deal. Has this been botched in the past or something?