Survival of the Dead

Discussion in 'General' started by Mok, Sep 9, 2009.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I watched the first 30 minutes or so last night and boy, people, it's not that bad. There's CGI gore but it's not nearly as distracting as I was led to believe. Everything seems to be about on the level of Land of the Dead (albeit on a lower budget). People apparently expect way too much out of Romero and take him way too seriously these days. Yeah it's not on the level of his classics but it's still loads better than the likes of Tobe Hooper's Mortuary or the Day of the Dead remake.

2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Unfortunately when fans hear the words Romero and Dead in the same sentence, you have certain expectations because of the first 3 film pedigree (me included). There is no denying that the last 3 Dead films are not on par, kinda like Lucas' Star Wars films. That said, I really disliked this last entry. I could not bring myself to give a rat's ass about any of the characters in Survival. That is what hurt the film for me the most, not so much the CGI kills. Even though Land is rather weak, it had a couple of characters I liked such as the lead and Asia Argento.

George needs to move on, but I'm sure funding isn't easy for him when it isn't another Dead film.

3. maybrick

Land of the Dead has grown on me more over the years but I still find all of the characters to be pretty flat, even the ones that I like. I do wish George would find the budget to produce something closer to his heart but it's just not meant to be, I guess. I'll have more to say in regards to Survival once I finish watching it later tonight.

4. maybrick

Guess I'm the odd man out, but I really had a lot of fun with SURVIVAL! Aside from complaints about CGI I don't see what people's problems are. It may not be "classic" Romero, but if you enjoyed LAND OF THE DEAD this wasn't all that different. I could easily tell that it was directed and written by the same fella and it's a thousand times better than DIARY. Yeah, the zombies aren't all that scary but I don't think that was the point or the intention. After more than 40 years what else is left to do with them? It's obvious to me that Romero just wanted to have a little fun and didn't want to deliver a straight-up horror film as expected, but that said, there were plenty of worthwhile scenes and haunting images in this film to justify me watching a second and third time. It has a lot of interesting concepts and I'm glad he tried something a bit different this time around. I also liked the characters, too, for the most part. They are certainly no worse than the ones in LAND for sure.

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I think I enjoyed it a lot more than Land and Diary actually.

6. maybrick

I'd need to see it a few more times before I agree with that statement, but there are certainly a lot of things I enjoy more about it than I did with LAND. The complete absence of Big Daddy and Dead Reckoning, for instance.

But I totally think that SURVIVAL is meant to be tongue in cheek. I mean, Romero didn't even care if some of the Islanders off the coast of Delaware had Irish/Scottish accents while others of the same family had Southern ones. That's just plain hysterical in my book! :lol:

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Well at least it wasn't as preachy as Diary, especially the voice-overs that kept saying the same thing over and over again.

And at least it didn't have Big Daddy, Dead Reckoning, and that lame "they're just looking for a place" final line.

It did have Kenneth Welsh over-acting, some cool gore, and a pretty fun sense of humour to it that I enjoyed. Not a movie to be taken seriously, but definitely a good time when watching it if you can leave your expectations at the door. Also enjoyed the
    Showdown at OK Corral with zombies in the middle ending.

That accent thing threw me at first. I couldn't quite figure out if the story was taking place in Ireland or something, but then I decided it didn't matter and just enjoyed the show.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Anyone wanting to see it at a theater can do so on May 28th,it starts at the E-Street Theater in D.C. It's a Landmark theater,pretty nice.I've seen a lot of art house stuff there.

9. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

I dunno...I was somewhat into horror movies at a pretty early age, and although I was nowhere near ready to see Dawn of the Dead when it came out (being only 9), I was aware of it, and totally sought it out when video hit...I loved it when I finally saw it, and looked forward to seeing Day of the Dead when it was announced...Somewhere in between the time I saw Dawn and Day, I saw most of Romero's other 70's flicks, and with the exception of "The Crazies", which I found fairly interesting, I didn't really care for the others...Day of the Dead failed to excite me either, although it has grown on me over the years....

I don't know where mine falls on the opinion scale, but beyond Night and Dawn, I haven't been all that enthused over Romero's other films...I thought Land was entertaining, but nothing terribly thrilling...I thought Diary was terrible...I guess I'm just saying that I for one don't really have any expectations from Romero any more, and haven't for awhile...I don't question his talent, I think he's definitely got that, so I'm not sure where it is that his movies fail with me, but for the most part I'm pretty blah about it...If he were to put something out that totally blew me away, I'd probably feel differently, and I would then have higher expectations for future projects.

I really feel sad to say that, but that's pretty much where I'm at, having seen Survival of the Dead from beginning to end now...

10. steveterror83

steveterror83 New Member

maybe bc zombies is easily my fav sub genre of the bunch theres some really horrid releases, but i just got done watching it and enjoyed it. I like all of the movies except land. found this one alot goofier then the others and other then the first bit of cgi i didnt mind it it too much. imo not nearly as bad as people are saying.

11. maybrick

Romero is showing Survival for free at the Brattle in Boston for anybody in the area tonight! It's a little too far away and last moment for me. :(

12. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Thanks for the heads-up- I just heard about this myself. I work right down the street in Central Square, I'm too lazy to stand around in line for an hour for tickets. I'll probably just wait for the official release later on this month.

13. maybrick

I've heard that it's going to be playing at the Kendall Square Cinema on May 25th. I like the film enough to consider making a special trip in to see it.

14. Dave

Dave Pimp

Playing for FREE at the Brattle Theatre in Boston tonight, with an intro from Romero. I would go to meet Romero but that's about it. Sadly I'm too tired and have to work. :(

15. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

He was also doing an autograph session at the Newbury Comics in Harvard Square, but it was only from 5-6pm. I'm still at work so I missed out on that opportunity.

16. maybrick

I wouldn't be surprised if the show tonight is simply a blu-ray projection, but has anybody heard any word in regards to the official release? Did they strike prints?

17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Mark down August 24th on your calendars as that's the day the movie will be hitting DVD and Blu-ray from Magnolia/Magnet. From what we hear, the package is gonna be pretty stacked, too. Amazing that we're finally getting a release that's better than our UK cousins! Whodda thunk it!?!

18. maybrick

It happens a lot actually.

And punctuation!? What the holy fuck! Are you on crack? Surely this must be a sign of the end times...

19. dentists

dentists Member

I just watched it on pay-per-view (on demand in the bay area).
    It is a sequel to 'Diary of the Dead' with several of the same characters returning but it's better than the first one.
    It's ok-ish kinda good.
    Not great at all but not dog shit like 'Diary'.

20. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

mods someone has hacked fceurichs account please help please send more commas this is very distressing.