Superbeast

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Kim Bruun, May 19, 2018.

1. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

[​IMG]

After a deformed man goes nuts on a plane and is killed, pathologist Dr. Alix Pardee (Antoinette Bower) travels to the Philippines to investigate whether or not the man's condition was an isolated case. There, she eventually meets the handsome mad scientist Dr. Bill Fleming (Craig Littler), whose attempts to cure criminal behaviour with a serum has so far only yielded grotesque, violent freaks. Said freaks are sold as game for those willing to fund the doctor's research.

Superbeast interestingly blends The Island of Lost Souls with The Most Dangerous Game, but there are real issues with pacing. Much of the movie simply has the lead actress trotting about in the Philippines without really advancing the plot. What's worse, the Philippine locations are a bit dull. If this is a travelogue, where's the exotic wildlife? The colourful orchids? The spectacular geographical formations?

And then there's the lead actress. Antoinette Bower has an interesting look, which translates into screen presence, but her range is limited. Whether investigating strange goings on, fantasising about a sexual encounter with a hideous mutant, or being told to her face that she is about to be killed, she looks perpetually dazed, like she's playing the role on Valium (see the clip).

I really like the makeup effects and find the appearance of the beastmen genuinely frightening (again, see the clip). There's also a rather convincing (and disgusting) autopsy early in the film which could easily be stock footage of the real McCoy.

I did kinda enjoy Superbeast and am happy to have the Scream Factory Blu-ray in my collection, but it's not an easy film to recommend. If you are a fan of such fare as The Bat People, you might get a mild thrill out of Superbeast.

russweiss, CPT HOOK and Katatonia like this.
  2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Never saw Superbeast but I do have the one sheet combo with Daughters of Satan. My wife and I just watched the blu for that and I was surprised how good it looked for a low budget Philippines film from 1972. Seeing such a young Tom Selleck was interesting especially since my wife has always had a crush on him.

Superbeast.JPG

Kim Bruun likes this.
  3. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I’m mildly curious about Daughters of Satan, not least because it was paired with Superbeast (which I did appreciate in spite of its obvious shortcomings). Can you recommend Daughters of Satan? From what I’ve read online, it has issues with pacing - much like Superbeast.

4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Daughters is a bit slow but I liked the plot and the picture quality was more than I hoped for. If you can get it for a good price I'd say it's worth it.