Subspecies 5

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Apr 16, 2019.

1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

[​IMG]

Full Moon has a new plan up it's sleeve that involves ten new films (project currently titled Deadly Ten), one of which is Subspecies 5. I will remain cautiously optimistic. Some of Full Moon's offerings in the past few years have been very subpar (to put it nicely). Hopefully a lot of the original people from the series come back, in front and behind the camera.

https://www.fullmoonfeatures.com/updates/full-moon-s-newsflash-vol-43

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm interested... but Full Moon movies just aren't what they used to be.

Anders Hove is definitely a positive, but Band better give it a damn budget at least.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

No, they're not the same. But the past ten years they've been getting ever so slightly better with each release. Puppet Master: Axis Termination was an improvement over the previous two entries. Evil Bong 5 was pretty bad though; I still need to watch Evil Bong 666 and 777 this weekend to confirm that trend.

Still I'm cautiously optimistic. The new Subspecies probably won't be better than 2 or 3 but hopefully better than 4 which was a mess.

Katatonia likes this.
  4. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I'm only interested if they use the word "fledgling" 100 times, to keep in the spirit of the others.

rxfiend and Katatonia like this.
  5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

That was one of Full Moon's series I could never get into. Still, I do hope they are able to improve on some of their recent output. I have a nostalgic fondness for Full Moon.

Katatonia likes this.
  6. Dave

Dave Pimp

Denice Duff is in so I'm happy. Budget will suck but if they get to film in Romania, I will have slight hope.

7. Dave

Dave Pimp

www.deadlyten.com

Pretty ambitious for a no-budget/low-budget studio. I'm dubious but wish them the best. Subspecies is filming in Europe so there's that.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah it sounds like a good plot but a bit ambitious for the scope of the project. I'm wondering if we'll get something more like Puppet Master: The Legacy which was nothing more than a glorified clip show:
    https://deadlyten.com/feature/15

Somewhat surprising to see Ted Nicolaou back. He hasn't done anything with Full Moon since Puppet Master vs. Demonic Toys for Sci-Fi Channel which Band walked away from. I suspected there was some bad blood there. So if they buried that hatchet that's pretty cool! And Denice Duff is apparently back. But if anything that kinda makes me think this will be a clip show...

And there's going to be a stand alone Blade film too. But the real lead being buried seems to be Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama 2 co-directed by Brinke Stevens! "I'll come back, but I want to direct!" Classic. ;)

9. Dave

Dave Pimp

Band and Nicolaou have appeared at conventions together over the past several years. If there was bad blood, yeah it doesn't seem to be a thing anymore. It's a prequel so I'm guessing Denice is playing a completely different character. Also interesting that given how much the two actors have aged that they plan to make this is sequel. Denice is an ageless beauty. Anders Hove...not so much. I suppose a shave and dying the hair would work some wonders. Plus what are we comparing him to? Radu the vampire...

[​IMG]

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ha, I was thinking the other way around with Duff and Hove. You can slap on some Nosferatu make-up and make believe Hove's still the same old immortal. It's a lot tougher with Duff unless the longer she stayed a vampire the more Nosferatu like she too became then you can make her up as well. (There's not enough movies with Nosferatu-chicks. I'd totally be down with that.)

They're going to have to re-cast the mortal Radu and maybe Hove just does some fireside hosting like in Retro Puppet Master.

How they do the Subspecies themselves will be interesting. Puppets? CGI? Green screen people and shrink them? They did something of a mix of the Puppets/CGI/shrink on the last Puppet Master so that's probably what they're going to do here. Actual stop motion seems unlikely BUT Band is wrangling some animator to finish Primevals so maybe he keeps them around to do work on Subspecies and/or Blade? Would be cool!

11. Dave

Dave Pimp

Were the subspecies even around in the past few movies? Seems like those little guys are out of the picture.

As for Radu, my understanding is the prequel will focus on the time before he was a vampire ... how he came to be one and all that. Perhaps you are right - cast it to a younger person and have Hove do something else.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

As I recall they were barely in Subspecies 2 and were only featured slightly more in Subspecies 3 but did actually accomplished something or another... It's been like 10 years since I've seen them. I don't remember anything about Subspecies 4... I might not have even seen it because I hear it's dreadful. I do remember seeing Vampire Journal but I don't recall the Subspecies themselves in there except maybe in the flashbacks.

I wouldn't be surprised if in Subspecies 5 they were like, "Subspecies? What's a Subspecies?" o_O

13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I agree - very interested in the Sorority Babes sequel. Could be a lot of fun. I also am looking forward to Subspecies 5 but I was disappointed in part 4 so I am pretty leary of this one.

X-human likes this.