Starry Eyes (2014)

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

[​IMG]

Here is another one I really enjoyed, even if I haven't entirely pieced it together yet. Good story, nice odd and creepy performances by the villains and especially by the main actress and gore galore. I'm looking forward to seeing what these directors do next.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  2. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

the poster screams '80s slasher...

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Looks interesting - I see Vudu has it for rental or buy already - so im tempted to check it out

4. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Regardless of how hard posters/movies try to be retro it never works. Still I'll give the movie a spin soon as I see it makes the torrent rounds. :D

5. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Dig that poster.

6. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

it was VERY good, and definitely requires a second or third viewing. it makes you think a lot about it afterwards. and yes, it's VERY BLOODY, but not until the final 20 minutes.

7. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I really want to see this one. Just checked out the trailer and damn...

8. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

The trailer sold me on this; I really want to see it!

9. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I've seen this on a few horror lists for the year. I kind of want to check it out but the story seems fairly obvious. And I'm not too fond of people who have a price.

10. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Watched this the other night. Bit of a late 70's/early 80's vibe to the opening credits. Personally I found the very similar CONTRACTED superior to this. Roth a watch, that is all.

11. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

Have to say, I didn't like this at all. I found it very predictable and the second half of the film rehashes a certain 1980s' remake of a 1950s horror classic (if that makes sense!)

12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Really enjoyed this one! A great horror flick that had shades of old-school Argento and an obvious nod to Ty West. I'd place it along side his stuff in terms of quality. Another great Ash recommendation. Thank you sir! :cool:

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Can't say I was a fan of this one. I really liked the cast here (Amanda Fuller, Marc Senter, Noah Segan, Pat Healy, etc) and there were some decent ideas in here. But for the most part, the movie just seemed like a bunch of actors whining about how hard their lives are, which I found incredibly unsympathetic. I found the lead character to be very dull and whiny, although the actress does quite a good job later in the film as she undergoes her transformation.

I suppose that if you're an actor, you might find the film very therapeutic. I'm not, so I found it very alienating. But I will give the filmmakers credit for trying something a little different and creative, even if it misses the mark. Many of the actors here have appeared in similar creative indie-horror endeavors that I would recommend much more highly before settling for Starry Eyes (such as The Lost, Cheap Thrills, All About Evil, The Innkeepers, Red White & Blue, etc).

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I rather liked this one. I can see why someone would compare it to Contracted, as both feature women undergoing a body transformation. I just think it made more sense in Starry Eyes, as the transformation had an endgame.

It does take a while to get going though, just a heads up

15. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I liked this quite a bit, but it didn't live up to the hype. I love a good slow burn horror movie but this just seemed like it was dragging its feet to pad out the screen time. The film spent way too much time building melodrama than furthering the overall agenda of the villains to the point that I couldn't feel that sympathetic for the lead actress, and to a lesser extant the supporting cast. Even when things do pick up in the final act in a major way, when the closing credits came up I said to myself "Oh.... that's it?"
    On the more positive side of things, I loved the visual style of the film. The surreal, Roman Polanski-esque "Is this a dream or reality" aspect kept me interested through out, and the performance from the lead actress was fantastic. Had you given this film's script to a less competent director with a shitty lead actress this film really would have been a disaster. The use of practical effects was a huge plus because they looked great, and the score was ominous and added to the atmosphere. I doubt I will ever revisit this one, but I think it is at the very least worth a rental.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I liked it for the most part... but that damned constant "shaky" camera annoyed me.

I absolutely hate that garbage, and it just reinforces that I'm watching a movie that somebody shot to try to look like a "real" event. Well, it has the opposite effect for me at least. I want to suspend my disbelief watching a film, not be constantly reminded of it. If I wanted to watch a skewed version of reality, I'd just watch Hardcore Pawn. :nervous:

And did the film remind anybody else of Beyond the Black Rainbow? Totally different films, sort of, but they oddly reminded me of each other. I guess perhaps it was just the end scene and the retro synth score over the end credits...

17. Do you see

Do you see Member

I've been wanting to check this one out and it looks like I'll get my chance as it's coming to Netflix in April.

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Caught this last night as it's now on Netflix and was extremely let down. A piss-poor plot with no real motive or execution, and the lead character's descent was handled so ham-fistedly and cartoony. If your body is deteriorating in that state, I'm sure you - or your friends - would recommend a trip to the hospital...? Suspension of disbelief is a common thing to do when watching a movie, but when you're questioning simple things that anyone in any situation would do it constantly takes you out of the film. I didn't care about any one character, and when they are trying to flesh out their development it becomes an episode of unsympathetic hispster "Friends". The score was also a bland rip-off of Carptenter and other 80s synth scores and really didn't seem to even fit the mood of the film. The whole movie was just a mess, and possibly the worst horror film I've seen this year so far.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  19. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

A big disappointment to me also. Some aspects of this movie make no sense and others are so obvious. The style is Ti West for the first half and Cronenberg for the second.

20. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

the poster looks cool though

shaky cam is the bane of real movie making, no matter how much i appreciate Blair Witch 1 and the segment in Cannibal Holocaust

and how strange it may seem, that poster and the font they used on it, i expect 35mm film filled with slow movement, steady shots and painted tableaus

and no, i haven't seen it, and never will

EDIT : and where are the focking colors?

I'll give an example. The Strangeness. Not exactly a high-class horror movie. The scene in the mine shaft, with the blowing wind, all the main characters, different pitch black corridors in the background, green lighting => they are only talking there about the situation at hand, but it's effective and creepy and scary as hell

i don't want to sound too depressed about it, but i'm feeling this since a long time : horror is dead & buried since a long time ago

yeah, there's gore and nudity, and they were important too in the '70s and '80s, but goddamnit, there needs to be more!

another example? Superstition (or The Witch), holy balls on a stick, those final moments where the witch is fully revealed, amazing

original Hellraiser (2nd one too), The Thing, Halloween III, The Amityville Horror II,...

horror? dead! dead i tell you!!

OK, rant's over :p

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015