SPLIT SECOND (Tony Maylam, 1992) -- from MVD Rewind Collection in 2018

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, May 9, 2018.

1. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

From my Cinema Arcana FB Page:

“He’s seen the future. Now he has to kill it!” Tony Maylam’s action /sci-fi / horror romp SPLIT SECOND (1992) finally makes its way to domestic Blu later this year, courtesy of the MVD Rewind Collection! In the way off year of 2008, cantankerous detective Rutger Hauer and fresh-faced rookie Neil Duncan find themselves hot on the trail of a heart-munching serial killer – the same one who ripped open Hauer’s original partner years earlier. As they slosh through a partially-submerged cyberpunk London looking for clues, they come to suspect this murderer may not exactly be from our world.

Promoted by Fangoria during production, SPLIT SECOND didn’t gain much traction until its VHS release and cable play, where those who bothered to watch found a fun, action-filled genre programmer with some laughs, some splat and plenty of things blowing up. And sometimes that’s really all you want. Issued on DVD by HBO in the early 2000s, the disc went out of print and fans have had to resort to overseas options for their viewing pleasure. Thankfully MVD are here to give the film its belated Stateside HD debut, and while the disc itself is still a little ways off—production of bonus features is just now being looked into—it sounds like we’ll hopefully see it by year’s end.

And just in case you thought that’s the only sci-fi actioner MVD has up their sleeve, the company has also confirmed their acquisition of Albert Pyun’s NEMESIS (1992) and its sequels! Watch this space for details.

© Bruce Holecheck, 2018

[​IMG]

fceurich39 likes this.
  2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw that one by myself in an empty theater, haven't seen it since. No classic but I have a soft spot for it

chancetx likes this.
  4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I saw this in the theater too and not since. I do have the UK blu-ray but haven't watched it yet.

Erick H. and chancetx like this.
  5. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Wow, I thought I was the only one who saw this in the theater. It played for a week at our local dollar theater and I went by myself because none of my friends at the time was interested. Even for a buck! I don't remember much about it but would be interested to see it again.

russweiss and Erick H. like this.