Split Second DVD OOP?

Discussion in 'General' started by KR~!, Nov 9, 2004.

1. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

The Barebones US version is now OOP.

Are there any other versions on DVD out there?

2. froggydogg69

froggydogg69 New Member

Not that I've heard of, and the OOP version has sold for $70 and up on Ebay.

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I thought there was a PAL version at one time,if you can play multi region dvds.

4. sumo8675309

sumo8675309 Active Member

yeah it's crazy what they are charging for this dvd. ive seen it on amazon for $129.00 -$149.00 .theres 3 on ebay right now for $33 and lower, 1 R1 and 2 r2

5. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

I got hard up a few years back and had to sell this one off.Along with Sid & Nancy Criterion,Puppet Master Box set,Lady in White,Maniac Cop Elite Version,Silence of The Lambs Criterion.I would love to have those back.Anyone got them for sale or trade,let me know.

6. MrVess

MrVess Guest

:D

This reminds me of some "Swamp Thing" DVD discussions elsewhere... I've heard that people were paying over 50 USD for it on auctions, while I bought it for 5 euro in a store, and Amazon UK still carries it for 1/3 the list price, because nobody is buying it. :)

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Split Second is coming to DVD February 2006 from Starlight (Germany/PAL/R2). The film will be presented in 16:9 Widescreen and 4:3 option and English audio. No word on any extras yet.

8. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

good news, I will keep an eye out for that one.

9. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG]

Street Date: 02/28
    Specs are still the same.

10. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

I really dig this flick and as others have searched ebay and such for it for quite some time...no way in hell i would even think about buying with those price tags attached to it though.: Kim Cattrall is a uber hottie and her shower scene is a welcome addition..my one gripe is that the creature itself didnt get more screen time.Thought it was quite an original and cool design for the suit..great news on the upcoming release.:)

11. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Split Second is getting a Blu-Ray release here in the UK in June 2015, 101 Films are releasing, I think there stuff is usually region free, but no more details/or artwork at moment.

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Good price on Amazon UK, currently at 10 pounds. I pre-ordered yesterday.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Unfortunately it will be a "Krekel" transfer, so expect his obligatory massive DNR and contrast tinkering.

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Thanks for the warning. I will wait for reviews and cancel my pre-order if necessary.

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It might be okay, but the dude has never done a good transfer.

The German Blu-ray comes out on 4/7, so when the comments come in on that one it should give solid hints to what the UK transfer will be like.

16. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Wow, I actually saw this one in the theater back in '91 or '92. It played the discount theater in Austin for a week when I was in college. I really don't remember anything about it - does it take place in the sewers or underground tunnels? Weird it's never been re-released given Hauer and Cattrall's popularity.

17. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

For that price I am thinking about pre-ordering the German release. I don't own the DVD so even if the BD transfer is disappointing it's worth the gamble.

18. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I watched the German Platinum Cult release last night and went in expecting to find the naysayers were full of hot air. The screenshots didn't look bad. Unfortunately this is a frustrating release. Nothing looks waxy but some of the motion is blurry. And its distracting when it frequently alternates from highly detailed to glaringly soft. The 5.1 audio is incredibly weak but I found the 2.0 track to be serviceable. These kind of releases are why I spent little more for a decent Yamaha receiver.

All that said, at $13 it was still a worthwhile purchase for me. SPLIT SECOND had been near the top of my watch list for more than a decade. I was just waiting for a serviceable release. While the transfer is distracting, the film isn't so great that I feel cheated. I suspect that I might enjoy this film more on repeat viewings when I might be able to forgive some the performances and WTF moments. Hauer and Cattrel seemed like they had no idea what was going on and the final showdown was a real head scratcher. The demon had Hauer dead-to-rights numerous times but chose to stand there looking at him for what seemed like an eternity. I almost wanted to turn it off as early on the film spends way to much time just hanging out with Hauer being weird in his apartment. I wasn't quite ready for how cheap this film is but it does have some cool moments. The setting is cool and there was some impressive gore and sleaze. I'll give it another run in a few years.

Oh, and other than in TANGO AND CASH I hate Michael J. Pollard. The tone of this film was already all over the place and his appearance late the film threw it off the rails.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  19. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

Meh, I'll stick with my old Image dvd until a better release comes along.