Songs that would be great in a Horror Film

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Every once and a while i hear a song and think to myself, That would be great in horror film. The Two that come to mind right now are Seven Nation Army by White Stripes and Paint it Black by the Rolling stones.

Just wondering if any of you ever feel the same way when listening to a particular song?

2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Ah I love both of those songs and think they're great choices. Also, I used to hear a song called Save Yourself by Stabbing Westward that I always expected to turn up in some teeny-bopper horror movie. I don't think it ever did, but I was really surprised.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Actually come to think of it Paint it Black was in Stir of Echoes, though allot of stuff From the Stones would go good in a Horror film.

The Joker likes this.
  4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Anything by the Chrome Cranks (a now defunct mid-90s NYC garage/noise/blues band) They kicked major ass!

5. I agree Seven Nation Army and Paint it Black would both make tracks for any horror movie soundtrack. Some songs that I think would be great are Heart's Crazy on You, White Zombie's More Human than the Human, Metallica's Fade to Black,Kill them All, and Enter Sandman would all make be great to hear in a horror movie.

6. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

poop

i thought they used that stabbing westward song for the "disturbing behavior" trailor, but maybe not

7. Vasilis

Vasilis New Member

Strip the soul by Porcupine Tree :D

8. Wolf Man

Wolf Man Guest

Gob's cover of Paint It Black was in Stir Of Echoes. The original was in the closing credits of The Devil's Advocate. Also, Guns n' Roses cover of Sympathy For The Devil was in Interview With A Vampire.

How about Alice Cooper's Only Women Bleed (Based on title alone, it should be in a horror movie) or maybe Cold Ethyl?

9. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

Bites the Dust

10. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Pretty mcuh any of The Misfits or Samhain songs.:evil:

11. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

Yeah, they do have a nack for those kind of songs ;)

12. gusse

gusse New Member

Skinny Puppy's music often has a very filmlike feeling to it if you ask me. Don't know if it ever has been properly used in a horrormovie though... I know they have had some sort of a connection to Jim Van bebber (he made one or two of their music videos) but I'm not sure if they ever appeared on any of his movie soundtracks. Anyone know?

If you have a good internet connection you can download Skinny Puppy videos from this place: http://sick.cirilo.net/ . You can find both live bootlegs and a bit more polished stuff.

...if you are not familiar with the band you should sheck them out. They are probably pretty hard to get into if you are not familiar with this kind of music (electronic industrial) but give it a shot - very fashinating stuff. They are one of the pioneers of EBM/industrial music and have a huge cult following. They have had a big impact on todays industrial scene (NIN for instance). Pretty experimentel/avantgarde stuff.

The band was founded by cEvin Key and Nivek Ogre in the early 80's - they had met due to a shared interest in animalrights issues and horror movies - something that is very apparent in their music. Check out the (unofficial) video for "Warlock" if you haven't already done so - it more or less consists of violente scenes from horror movies that have been cut bu censores over the world....

Live they use lots of horror props and stuff like that. They are a extremly visual band who like to use lots of video projection to enhance the music experience. ...check out the "backing tapes from the Too Dark Park tour" you can find on the page - avesome stuff. Surreal. ...The "Testure" one is perhaps the most disturbing thing i have ever seen... view at own risk!

13. gorelover

gorelover Guest

They're my favorite band since I discovered them in the mid 80's. It's very sad (to say at least) that the third Puppy, D.R. Goettel, died back in '95 from an overdose. I strongly recommend the 'Worlock' video to any horror enthusiast!

-gl

14. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Download (SP side project band) appeared on Charlie's Family soundtrack (an unreleased film by Jim VB, though bootleg copies are pretty easy to get).

15. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I second that. "Skulls" or "Death Comes Ripping" would be great in a slasher movie.

How about The Ramones' "Chainsaw" for the upcoming TCM remake?;)

Sitting there with nothin' to do
    Sitting here thinkin' only of you
    But you'll never get out of there
    She'll never get out of there.
    Texas chainsaw massacre
    They took my baby away from me
    But she'll never get out of there
    I don't care...

16. 'paint it black' is the theme song for 'twisted metal:black' on ps2.

just wondering though, why isnt 'hell to pay' by converge in a film yet? (on the album 'jane doe')

17. gusse

gusse New Member

Oh, regarding Skinny Puppy and movie soundtracks... cEvin Key contributed with some stuff to the End Of Days soundtrack, a few short ambience tracks if I'm not mistaken. Don't have the soundtrack tho so I'm not able to verify which tracks he made...

Gorelover: They are one of my favorite bands aswell. I love the surreal and dirty feeling their music stirs up... It's sort of fractured and dissjointed, but at the same time it all fits perfectly together somehow. Hard to describe. Oger's voice and lyrics are fantastic and cEvin's and Goettel's music are pretty unique if you ask me.

BTW if you didn't know theres a new Skinny Puppy album coming out sometime later this year. The band has been ressurected, they have written and recorded new tunes and will start touring again after the release of the album! I cant wait, hope they drop by Sweden - I have never seen them live, just a bunch of video bootleggs and stuff like that and judging from that they are pretty much a one-of-a-kind-act!

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Misfits "Horror Hotel" would be perfect. I could see it as the only sound in a trailer for an action/horror movie.

Fiesty Cadavers have a bunch of songs that would fit perfectly into horror movies as well. They are kinda similar to the Misfits in that lots of their tunes are inspired by horror movies, esp. Dying Art.

Also, probably cuz I was just listening to it, Method Man's "Judgment Day" would work well in an end of the world type horror movie.
    "Don't Fear The Reaper" has worked before (The Stand), and will always fit!

19. steve

steve Guest

C'mon guys, if there was ever a song begging to used in a horror movie, it has to be "Bodies" by Drowning Pool. I know it's been used in trailers, but I'm not sure if it's actually been part of a film score.

20. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I don't care too much for a lot of the regular songs used for movies, but I do dig the Flash of the Blade by Iron Maiden in Phenomena.