Solo: A Star Wars Story - non-spoiler Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, May 23, 2018.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018, Ron Howard)

This new Star Wars story is set about ten years before Han Solo (Alden Ehrenreich) joins the Rebellion in the original Star Wars (1977). The film is a smaller story and essentially a heist film but not a great one. this kind of story could have had so many interesting moments but this doesn't really and merely ends up being a solid enough little adventure with a few laughs and some ok action.

The beginning of the film is pretty rough with some poor alien creature design and a choppy story. The effects are all fine but do not provide the wonderment that a Star Wars film should.. however I will give them a pass on that considering the troubled production that they had. Unlike Rogue One, the worst character in the film is the feature droid who I am just glad that she did not have a larger part. There is also a little too much referencing of previous films but I was expecting that to happen going from what we have seen so far from Disney.

Ehrenreich is actually pretty good as the character made famous by Harrison Ford and eventually you relent to the situation without making comparisons. The real MVP's of the film are Chewbacca and Lando Calrissian (Donald Glover) who are a pleasure to watch throughout. There was only one moment where I got a nice surprise in the film and that unexpected character arrival will no doubt cause much discussion among the fans.

In the end we get an inconsequential little adventure that is a fun enough way to pass a couple of hours but not the visual epic that the Star Wars brand usually provides. I am sure this will sit quite low in peoples Star Wars rankings but it is certainly much better than the insulting and Vulgar Last Jedi that we were served up last year.

6/10

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    chancetx, othervoice1 and Kim Bruun like this.
  2. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I gotta say that I enjoyed this far more than expected. I'm pretty firmly in the camp that hated Rogue One. And I was split on Last Jedi in that I am on the side that appreciated all of the things that broke with the formula but still felt that it was a pretty horribly scripted story despite some fairly impressive imagery and ideas - the jump to lightspeed that occurs near the climax was beautiful. But, I will also add that I have never really been that big of a fan of Star Wars in general, though I really do appreciate and respect its place in history.

On Solo - the story works best when it's keeping things simple. The heists were well put together and pretty fun set-pieces. And, while there are certainly some dumb ideas in here and some of the important emotional beats really aren't earned, it was a generally enjoyable romp. Most will agree that Lando does steal the show. But, Han and Chewbacca have good chemistry. The new kid playing Han acquits himself nicely of the unenviable job of stepping into Harrison Ford's shoes. I don't think he nails it as well as, say, the cast of the recent Star Trek films. But, he definitely owns the film by the end, even if he does show some rough patches. The new droid actually was one of my favorite additions and injected some really well done humor ("Equal rights?" was really well played) into this latest incarnation of the series. And Paul Bettany made for a really good villain. The biggest weak spot is probably Emilia Clarke and it's hard to tell if she's just a weak actor or it's a poorly written part. Though I hate to say that it is likely more the former.

For a film that has had such a troubled production story, it really doesn't show. But, it is definitely not one of Ron Howards' better films and it does lack his usual tight sense of craftsmanship. But, it really only shows when you compare it to his more accomplished films.

The score was lazy at worst, but no more offensive than most action films these days.

The big reveal/cameo was definitely a surprise, but it had me more puzzled than anything else. However, I guess it makes more sense if I had watched any of the animated shows.

Overall, while I would not call this a great film by any means, it is probably the most I have just enjoyed a Star Wars film in a long long time.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    othervoice1 and thing like this.
  3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I really hated the droid for the stupid crude humour which feels like leftovers from the Russo Brothers and that stupid sassy walk. I might go see Solo again with my gf today

4. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I’m a big Star Wars fan and this is my least favorite live action film in the series besides Phantom Menace. It’s just so inconsequential and tells a story I wasn’t interested in at all. But if you want to know how Han got his last name (something I’m sure no one on Earth ever thought about before this movie) or why Chewie is called Chewie, then this movie has those answers and more. I’d love for Star Wars to stop with the prequels and rehashes and look forward for a change. Having said all that, it’s not terrible. Just mediocre and disappointing considering the quality of the films that have been made since Disney took over the franchise. And because apparently it means a lot in Star Wars fandom and where you stand with the series, I loved Last Jedi. I’d put it right under the original trilogy as far as franchise ranking. So take my thoughts on Solo with a grain of salt if you completely disagree with that statement.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Katatonia and Cooperkill like this.
  5. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I agree. I too really like The Last Jedi, but think Solo is the worst Star Wars movie alongside The Phantom Menace. The reason is simple: it serves no purpose. Whereas Rogue One filled in a major plot hole of A New Hope (easy Death Star destruction) and made Darth Vader more badass than we could have imagined, Solo shows us nothing at all relevant to the series. Even on its own it's an overlong drag with a Han who's a bit douchey, a Lando who does nothing but imitate Lando, and new characters who mean nothing to the rest of the live action series.

Perhaps my biggest gripe is that there's absolutely no danger. We know Han and Chewie and Lando are going to survive everything they attempt, so there's virtually no tension throughout the film. It's watchable, but at best it's mediocre. 5/10.

6. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Yeah i cant take your opinion on star wars seriously..sorry... grain of salt at the ready

7. thing

thing Well-Known Member

My updated Wars rankings

Empire 9/10
    Star Wars 8.5/10
    Return of the Jedi 8/10
    The Force Awakens 8/10
    Revenge of the Sith 7/10
    Rogue One 6.5/10
    Solo 6/10
    Attack of the Clones 5.5/10
    The Phantom Menace 4/10
    The Last Jedi 3/10

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I really don’t get why people hated The Last Jedi so much. It wasn’t amazing like some people are claiming but it’s nowhere near the worst of the series. Like come on, Attack of the Clones and Phantom Menace are virtually unwatchable. Shitty dialogue, shitty story, horrible dated FX, just horrible all around. I didn’t LOVE The Last Jedi but I enjoyed it WAY more than Solo. Also the opening of Last Jedi, I’m sorry, was fucking amazing. Probably the best opening in the series next to A New Hope. The Force Awakens was the one I found to be rather bland to be honest. I liked the nostalgic aspect of it but other than that I felt it was just mediocre.

That being said, Solo is my least fav of the new Star Wars films. In order of preference I’d say:

Rogue One
    Force Awakens and Last Jedi are tied for me
    Solo

Also I think Disney needs to cool it a little. They’re releasing too many Star Wars movies. One a year? Yeah no wonder the last one kinda sucked. Stop rushing them.

~Matt

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

There are moments of the prequels that I enjoy, but I am not fond of them as a whole. I find The Last Jedi to be completely dreadful. I honestly don't think I'll ever watch any of those four films ever again. I preordered the U.K. 3D blu-ray of Solo to support that dying format, and I'm sure I'll appreciate several moments in that film as well. Disney should back off on releasing a new Star Wars film every year. Like DC, it seems impossible to screw up, yet they do so in an inexplicable manner.

Edit: Ugh. Just after writing this, I see that The Penguin (my least favorite rogue villain) is rumored to be the main antagonist in the new Batman or Birds of Prey films. I'd be more excited if Egghead was the main villain.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Call me disappointed on a whole. I didn't think Solo was "bad" per se, but there was definitely something missing as far as the screenplay was concerned. The cast (mostly) worked well enough, the overall design of the film and the visual effects/characters worked... but the script needed to be honed down and the movie should have been far shorter. I can really see why it's under-performed at the box office... you nearly feel like you just completed a "chore" by the time it finally gets to the end credits. It's a rough ride.

You can tell they tried to infuse a lot of comedy into the dialogue, but almost none of it worked and fell flat. I mean you get that it's supposed to be humorous every now and then, but nobody in the theater even laughed with it except a couple of times.

Donald Glover (Lando) did a great job though, with what he had to work with at least. I've been highly impressed with his talent since his video shorts and Mystery Team. Give this guy a movie of his own!

With that said, I'll still buy it when it comes out on Blu-ray/UHD... and perhaps it'll work better on a repeat viewing.