So I think I might just end up getting a UK blu-ray player (any advice?)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Matt89, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Alright so here's my situation:

My PS3 (1st gen - 40GB) has been fucking up for a couple months now (the warranty ended over a year ago). It started out not being able to read a couple DVDs - the clock would spin and spin and then nothing. Just the other day I tested out 20 DVDs and only 2 worked, so it's gotten much worse. Blu-rays still play fine and so do videogames. However, to get it fixed is $275 CDN, which is absolutely ridiculous - a new slim 160GB PS3 is $299.99 at Best Buy.

So, I want a new player that will play my DVDs. My birthday is in about 2 1/2 months, so I'm just gonna ask for a new PS3 for my birthday because I still have a bunch of games. But I'm starting to want a new blu-ray/DVD player that will play PAL discs (I have no region-free DVD player - my Philips died several months back and I still have a few R2 DVDs - plus, more and more UK blu-rays are coming out that I really want to get, but they're region B "locked"). Since I'll have 2 machines anyway, I was thinking of maybe just getting a UK Region B/2 blu-ray player to cut costs, since my PS3 will act as a Region A/1 player anyway. All I'd need is a plug adapter for the UK machine, no?

I was also thinking of either getting a Sherwood BDP-5004 or a Momitsu (the guy on DVDBeaver has one and it seems to work fine for him). However, I heard Sherwoods are kindof glitchy and I think that just getting a UK player off eBay UK might very well be cheaper to import.

Anyway, do you guys have any advice regarding this? What's a good UK player? I'm looking to spend like $150 (because you can get good Region A players here for that price). I think I'm gonna go ahead and get a UK player. My TV is a Sharp Aquos, so I'm pretty sure it can handle the PAL signal (my old Philips played PAL DVDs on this TV no problem).

~Matt

2. Getmoredvdsout

Getmoredvdsout New Member

Alright Matt

Im from the UK and I would suggest avoiding Sherwood. From personal experience and that of some mates, they are not the most reliable machines, so I would forget Sherwood personally.

You might be able to pick up the Sony BDPS370 Blu-ray Player for a decent price or alternatively the LG BD550. I have seen them pretty cheap over here but not sure how much extra when it comes to importing. Both are solid peformers and will tick all the boxes. If not, I don't think you will go too far wrong with a Momitsu. Also, from what im aware, your TV should be able to handle the PAL signal no problem at all.

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Yeah I heard that Sharp TVs have no problem handling PAL or "Super-PAL" (1080i/50Hz). I'm not sure whether or not my Philips DVD player was converting PAL to NTSC, or if it was simply outputting PAL and my TV was able to handle the PAL signal, but it worked in that case. I've been reading more about the Sherwood and I'm thinking yeah, I'll probably avoid that one altogether. Apparently there was a firmware update back in March which disables the player's ability to change regions. I'm really unsure about whether models sold now come with this firmware update already installed or if you still need to manually install it yourself. I'm not finding any answers online.

But there should be no problem with voltage or anything, right? A plug adapter should do the trick?

~Matt

4. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

You can't go wrong with a Panasonic player, I've got a BD30 (UK) BD35 (UK) and a BD30 (US) never had a problem with any of them and they get played daily, My original player was a Sony BD300 and it died within months.

5. Getmoredvdsout

Check the voltage of the player first, if it says 110-220V it will be OK, if 220/240V then probably not.

To solve the problem, I believe you can buy something call a step up transformer.

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

And even if you don't, the plugs are going to be radically different than what you can put into your wall socket. I'm not sure there's a cure for this, really. I wouldn't recommend buying a PAL player at all, but that's me. The voltage to power machines over there is a lot different than it is in North America.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

So turns out, after a bit more research, the Canadian INSIGNIA blu-ray players from Best Buy are region-hackable. (WHO KNEW!?) All you do is enter a code with the remote and you are given the option to change the region. The only downside is apparently it reverts back to normal when you turn the machine off, so you'll have to enter the code every time you want to change the region to R2/B to play UK discs. Apparently it supports PAL and 1080i/50Hz. At $79.99, that's not a bad deal. I think I've found my player.

Here's where I found this info:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-players-recorders/159919-multi-region-bd-player-budget.html

~Matt

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

9. Getmoredvdsout

That will do the job nicely! I own alot of Region 1 DVD titles and have DVD region free blu ray player but not region free for blu rays. Really want to pick up Mad Max and Dorm That Dripped Blood aswell.....

10. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I'm glad to see that these players that are hackable with the remote are widely available, it brings the prices down and makes them easier to get! I got my dad a NS-WBRDVD2 for X-mas and was playing with it today, everything I put in it played (Region A BD, Region B BD, Region 1 NTSC DVD, and Region 2 PAL DVD) and it looks like the hack stays once you apply it, only the regions reset when you turn it off (menu choice to change the region remains after power off so you don't have to keep putting the code in) making it slightly more user friendly than my current player. I hear that the one problem with these players is their reliability though, they say they're not the greatest (decent though) and when we were watching a BD, the first movie that it was used to play, it locked up in the middle of it (brand new disc was fine, reset the player and resumed the movie with no problems). Still, for the price and the region switching ability you probably won't do better than this. Although I already have a multi-region player I'm actually considering picking up a NS-WBRDVD2 just to have on the shelf as a backup since they're so cheap!
    There is one thing I wonder about though, it won't affect me because I don't plan on hooking it up to the internet if I get one and the answer is hopefully no anyway but could an update possibly be pushed to this thing if it is connected without you authorizing it? The manual seems to imply updating over the internet is a manual process but since it's common knowledge that a number of connected players quietly “phone home” from time to time I wonder if those that own this and connect it may someday wake up to find that they can't switch regions anymore...

11. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

12. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I was going to recommend the Insignia since right now it's on sale for under $100, but you seemed pretty dead-set on a UK player. I've heard from a number of people it's superior to the Sherwood and very easy to use. I plan on getting on once I get some cash; even at the full $130 price tag I think it's definitely worth it.