Slaughter High Coming to DVD 4/14/09

Discussion in 'General' started by SilentScreams, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Yeah, exactly. Final Terror was the same kind of cruddy transfer, but at least it was only $4.99!

2. Here here, I SO adimentally agree. There is basically now excuse, for this day & age, for a major company to make a transfer that is basically a VHS tape rip straight to the disc. I mean it's basically a higher-profile DVD-R that anyone can do now if they own a VHS tape of the film.

Hopefully My Best Friend is a Vampire, which is an actually underrated late '80s comedy and well worth re-discovering, will be of a better transfer. But I'm not holding my breath. I'm just psyched it's finalyl getting a North American release, as for years all that has been out is the long out of print Region-4 Aussie/New Zealand disc that I didn't wanna bother with (as i don't import).

Reguardless, I'm ordering both soon. I also used to watch that Morgan Stuart's Coming Home a lot (like A LOT) over about a full two period time as a late '80s and first part of the '90s couch-potatoe kid addtracted to both good & trashy televisions and the best junk food there was at a Kroger. I'll pick that up as well, but I'm in no rush as it's just comin' out. I'm pickin' up Slaughter High and MBFIAV first. I can only remember set pieces, like the kids love of genre films and his Gunnar Hanson signed chainsaw and playin' with the cute brunette in the shower with masks, abuot Morgan Stuart.

Slightly off topic but still on, check out the English language Wikipedia entry for the Morgan Stuart's Coming Home movie. It has the longest alternate foreign title outside of North American I have ever, ever seen. And quite cool in an odd way. The litteral translation from French into English means "Qu'il est dur d'être farceur, d'aimer la musique pop et les films d'horreur quand on a un père qui se présente aux élections, which means "How tough it is to be a prankster, to like pop music and horror films when you have a father who is presenting himself in the elections".

Whoa, interesting ...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009
  3. shockwave

shockwave New Member

I agree, My Best Friend is a Vampire, Hiding Out, and Morgan Stuart where movies I saw a lot as a kid, so I'm sure I"ll pick up all 3.

4. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Nah, there really isn't anything out there to compare to the Final Terror's transfer. You can't see shit in that thing. Slaughter High wasn't terrible on VHS so I really can't imagine the DVD transfer being completely awful in that aspect.

5. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Not my point. A VHS rip should be cheap is what I'm getting at. Especially if it was filmed in the last 30 years.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I can only think of one DVD in my collection that had a transfer as dark and blurry as The Final Terror DVD, and that's Wes Craven's Chiller. I don't know if there is even a good quality DVD of that released, but the transfer on the DVD I own is atrociously bad.

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

The R2 DVD of Massacre at Central High is pretty terrible. The movie starts right off the bat (and the first like...2 seconds are cut off). Horrible transfer, great film.

~Matt

8. rin0001

rin0001 New Member

I think they should make curtains and night school part of this lost collection~ i mean i think it sucks that curtains AT LEAST has not come out on dvd- theres the uk version but i heard that it stinks because of the transfer quality from a shitty VHS version. Hopefully (maybe) we'll get curtains on dvd- and/or night school- give them the respect that they deserve!

9. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I believe Paramount plans on releasing Night School soon. I have no idea who has the rights to Curtains.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I saw the trailer to Curtains not long ago and it looks quite chilling. I'll be all over this if it gets a release.

11. SimplyOwnage

SimplyOwnage Guest

I just now found out about this disc's transfer. Disappointing for sure, but I'll still be picking it up. I don't own the VHS, so it's not like I'll be buying something I already own. The chances of this film ever getting another DVD release are slim to none, so this will do just fine.

12. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

hahha this sounds just like when Sleepaway Camp was released UNCUT buy Legacy. It has a crappy transfer too. but its uncut. and isnt parts 2 & 3 released buy Legacy, arent they uncut too?

13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

wasn't there a cleaned up widescreen version on fearnet along time ago?

anyway my local records store has 2 copies of this for 10 bucks waiting to be put out tuesday i'll be getting it being a collector

14. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    It wasn't widescreen, but it looked VHS quality. If the DVD looks at least like the Comcast On Demand version, I'll get it.

15. Zombie Dude

I pre-ordered mine. I couldn't resist.

16. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

[​IMG]

17. Zombie Dude

The films a great piece of cheese. What's not to like?

18. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

The shit transfer used for this DVD.

19. Zombie Dude

Well yeah, there's that. I doubt it's going to get re-released any time soon though. That is unless Lionsgate pulls it and fixes the transfer, but I doubt that'll happen.

20. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

[​IMG]