Showtime HD Kung-Fu

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by poorlogic, Nov 26, 2003.

1. poorlogic

poorlogic Guest

Late notice, but Showtime is running Tiger Claw 3 (just finshed playing), Five Deadly Venoms and the extended cut of Master of the Flying Guillotine today - Venoms is at 1:00 PM eastern followed by Master at 3:00PM - It's on HD and regular Showtime.

2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I missed Five Deadly Venoms but I was able to catch Master of the Flying Guillotine. I must say I enjoyed it alot and I can clearly see where it has inspired Kill Bill, right down to the Master of the Guillotine's little tune that plays in all of his scenes. I guess I'll just go out and buy Five Deadly Venoms, I'll probably buy Master of the Flying Guillotine as well.

3. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

i was just checking out the line up last night to see what you hd guys were up to. i dunno a couple there. hopefully they will be adding more and more good movies by the time im ready to go hd. i did notice regular showtime was showing some movies widescreen. gothic was on last night widescreen. red sonja was on too but it was only widescreen for the credits which was a major teaser since there's no region 1 disc.

4. poorlogic

poorlogic Guest

I recorded Master of the Flying Guillotine to my hard-drive, funny thing is, there were no credits at the end, just like AB's Mad Mission DVD's. I'm buring it to a DVD right now, so I'll see if it looks ok. The print was pretty beat-up, but the window-box presentation helped tighten things up.

5. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Guest

I have Guillotine on DVD and so I thought this HD presentation might be a bit of an improvement. However when I turned it on this afternoon, the HD channel was not showing it in HD. It was letterboxed, but the same is true everytime it has been screened on any of the Showtime networks.

Poorlogic, I think you're confusing the neccesity for windowboxing on a movie that it's in 1.66 for an anamorphic presentation, and one like this which is 2.35. It was windowboxed because it wasn't in HD. This is always what happens when they have non-HD material on the HD channel, regardless of the OAR. On the HD channel, the quality of Guillotine was slightly lower than that of my DVD.

6. poorlogic

poorlogic Guest

Your correct Disco Stu, since the film was 2.35:1, it looked like it was enhanced (to me at least), but in fact it was non-HD.

[​IMG]

Still, I found it watchable.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2003