Severin - Upcoming Blu-Ray releases

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I am slowly making my way through the Adamson set, and the ones films I had seen before are far more enjoyable than I remember them. Maybe it's from watching the documentary first and appreciating them more, or the fact that the HD transfers are a big improvement over the old DVD transfers.

The Blood & Flesh documentary was quite well done though. It sounds like the murder could make a good true crime book, or hell even a movie.

It also seems like Severin has done a better compression/encode on some of these unlike many previous problematic releases from them.

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

3. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Oh - okay then. I'll look forward to this. I have so many of their merrvies on my to-buy list hopefully I can get them with this sale...on sale.

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Severin also posted this image announcing the sale on their Twitter - which has some clues as to what the new Fulci and Franco titles could be:

[​IMG]

Fulci is likely Aenigma (1987), hence the snail. And the whip at the bottom, to me, indicates one of the Franco titles could be Botas negras, látigo de cuero (1983) (translates to Black Boots, Leather Whip), which is also a Golden Films title which the last two Fracno releases have been. The spider could also indicate Mari-Cookie and the Killer Tarantula (1998), but who knows.

russweiss likes this.
  5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I have a feeling not all of those clues are intended for the release of Fulci and Franco films, but for the release of Fulci and Franco documentaries, probably in collaboration with Stephen Thrower.

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

If you look a couple posts up at the other Severin June sale announcement, they have 6 NEW releases coming out during this sale (not including the re-issues of Blood on Satan's Claw and The Beast Must Die) which include Fulci, Franco, and Intervision titles, so the other image I posted definitely contains clues as to what those titles are. I know of the docs you mention, and those - if part of the clues - would likely be included as bonus features/discs rather than individual releases.

7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I already have Aenigma - another Severin shot at an 88 Films title doesn't blow me away. Where the "House of.." film at? That's what papa needs.

8. zbinks

In case I was unclear, I think some of the clues are for Fulci / Franco film releases, but not all of them.

Ex: In the drippings under Fulci's head, you'll see an upside-down cross which would seemingly hint at City of the Living Dead. Up and to the left of that you'll see what looks to be the infamous eye gore from Zombie. I think the odds that Severin is releasing either of those films is close to nil, given the recent releases from Scorpion and Blue Underground, respectively.

9. zbinks

MorallySound likes this.
  10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Katatonia likes this.
  11. Katatonia

Too bad they didn't put a comparison up with the German Blu-ray from Filmart. It still easily blows away the Severin transfer, which has cropping and some poor compression issues.

12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Any idea how it compares the UK Shameless release?

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Not much on Franky and His Pals out there. Although there's some info on other sites including TCM.com there's nothing on IMDb but Severin followed up their original announcement with more info on Facebook:

MorallySound likes this.
  14. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

Hard pass for me

15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Aenigma confirmed:

[​IMG]

Also, Franky And His Pals looks wonderful.

16. Katatonia

The Severin has better colors than the Shameless release, but it's cropped for some reason. The bad thing is the encode...the Severin Blu-ray has a lot of macroblocking artifacts especially noticeable in darker scenes.

russweiss and gobad2003 like this.
  17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Ah, Severin and quality never seem to go hand in hand now do they? It's seriously sad to see how often they stuff up their releases.

Katatonia likes this.
  18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

The only Severin disc I own I believe is The Boys Next Door. I thought it looked really good but then again the next best thing was a decades-old Anchor Bay DVD. I’ve seen screenshots of their transfers and they seem to have a ton of issues with disc authoring. I have the Second Sight release of The Changeling because I liked the deluxe packaging better, but there were apparently issues with the Severin release of that as well.

~Matt

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I think the only release I own is Hardware which I admit looks very good.

20. Katatonia

The bad thing is that they don't even seem to care about it, or really want to correct it. It wouldn't be all that hard to start doing good encodes...just get somebody who knows what the hell they're doing!

The Al Adamson set had some pretty good encoding on the discs, so I was hopeful maybe they'd changed who handled their encoding, but Strange Vice was certainly a disappointment.

It doesn't really make too much sense either...the actual movie (which is 100 minutes) on the disc actually takes up more than the first layer of the BD-50 disc, so there should really not be the poor macroblocking artifacts like there are. The encode was just botched somehow. It's not a complete disaster, but for a release with a $35 SRP better care should have been taken.

gobad2003 and Zombie Dude like this.