Severin - Upcoming Blu-Ray releases

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Mar 31, 2015.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

On Friday we announced that we'll be releasing Sergio Martino's Giallo masterpiece ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK on Black Friday. For those unfamiliar with the subgenre, ‘Giallo’ is Italian for ‘yellow’, the color of the lurid pulp novels that inspired one of the most intense, extreme and influential genres in movie history. As a companion to Martino's film, we'll also be releasing a 3-disc set entitled ALL THE COLORS OF GIALLO, featuring a black-gloved barrage of trailers, featurettes, music and more! There is even a disc devoted to Krimi films, the German cousin to the Giallo. PLUS! Exclusively as part of our Black Friday sale you can pick up a limited edition dual slip case so you can house ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK and ALL THE COLORS OF GIALLO together. It's time to turn Black Friday into Yellow Friday! Full details and artwork below.

DISC ONE:
    *Over 4 Full Hours of Giallo Trailers

*All the Colors of Giallo - A New Feature Length Documentary By Federico Caddeo

*The Giallo Frames - Interview With John Martin, Editor Of 'The Giallo Pages'

*Audio Commentary On Every Trailer with Kat Ellinger, Author of 'All The Colors Of Sergio Martino'

DISC TWO:
    *Kriminal! - 90 Minute Krimi Trailer Compilation

*The Case Of The Krimi - Interview With Film Historian Marcus Stiglegger

DISC THREE:
    *The Strange Sounds Of The Bloodstained Films - Bonus CD of Giallo Themes Compiled By Alfonso Carrillo of RENDEZVOUS! From The Archives Of BEAT Records Company. Remastered By Claudio Fuiano.

[​IMG][​IMG]

zbinks, wago70, Matt89 and 1 other person like this.
  3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

satans-sadists likes this.
  4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

And Severin's said it's almost sold out already, so if you want it now's the time to get it!

$43.99 at FamilyVideo: https://www.familyvideo.com/the-blood-island-collection-10139964

I stopped checking them out when they canceled some of my LE pre-orders because they never got the stock! So buyer beware. But as of now they're saying "In Stock."

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Lesson learned. I’m not buying (and definitely not preordering) anything from Severin any longer until the reviews are out. The Changeling was the final straw.

wago70 likes this.
  7. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Thanks for the heads up - just the deal I was looking for. Free shipping taboot!

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

9. russweiss

I watched Brides of Blood today and was amazed at the picture quality. For a low budget film that was literally made 50 years ago it looks fantastic. The sound is a different story. It appeared to me that the audio was added after the film was shot. I really wanted to like the film more than I did but this is still a movie worth having on blu. Now on to Mad Dr. and Beast of Blood.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

As tiki people, my wife and I are really enjoy the Blood Island Collection. The movies are a blast. We made the Green Blood Potion last night and used the coasters and swizzle. We're going to frame the map and put it in our basement tiki bar. I've become pretty minimalist with my movie collecting these days, but this was a bundle where I saw a use for every single item. Super satisfied.

Myron Breck, russweiss, x666x and 2 others like this.
  11. russweiss

Mad Dr. of Blood Island had a very nice transfer although I didn't find it as vibrant as Brides of Blood. Once again the soundtrack appeared to be added after the fact.

Both of these films were presented full screen and I'm not sure that is the correct AR. For example in Mad Dr. at 5 minutes 20 seconds in you can see an overhead mic appear in the upper left hand corner. Had these been letterboxed that would have been missing.

While not the best or most exciting series this set is highly recommended.

The last comment here contains some spoilers so if you are planning on watching these films stop now. I always remember the scene from Brides of Blood where during the creature transformation the guy is rolling around on a bed and a piece of his make-up falls off and is laying on the pillow behind him. Something equally bad happens in Mad Dr. which I had never noticed before. During the final fight scene in the cave Dr. Lorca tries to hit John Ashley with his cane and instead ends up putting a hole into the wall of the cavern itself. You can see the hole which simply highlights the fact that is was probably just a paper-mache wall.

12. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I ordered from Family Video but if they fuck me on this I'm writing them off completely. The order is paid for anyway so they HAVE to fulfill. Never thought buying from small chains would be so headache-inducing. I placed the order almost a week ago and still haven't gotten a shipping notification so they're already off to a bad start.

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Skinner was announced with cover and full specs, if someone wants to share them here. I would, but I'm on mobile and it's a pain.

14. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

That really blows. I expected an Amazon price drop and waited until Friday before I panicked and feared the set would sell out before I obtained a copy. So I ordered it from Diabolik, which is definitely a last resort measure for me.

With the tax Amazon would have charged, it'll only end up costing me an extra $12 or so. Pisses me off nonetheless. I probably would've gotten it sooner from Amazon.

15. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I got shipping confirmation from Family Video - looks like my Blood Island set should be arriving Wednesday from UPS.

elDomenechHDG likes this.
  16. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Box set turned up yesterday - totally unexpected. No shipping confirmation. In fact, my order status still says "Processing". That was, um, weird, but, hey, it's in my possession.

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  17. shape22

I'm glad the Severin Black Friday sale doesn't include anything I desperately want. After last year's Jack the Ripper shipping date disaster and the recent mess with The Changeling, I'm happy to sit this one out.

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I want Skinner, but hopefully it's not a $50 exclusive like Combat Shock. I'd just assume grab it wide retail sans the slipcover in a few weeks.

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Severin's website is up with the new Black Friday titles.

20. shape22

I watched "Terror Is A Man" last night and was really surprised by the restraint and artistry on display. I expected a total cheese-fest, but this one plays like a Lewton/Universal mash-up and features a surprisingly nuanced script and some impressively moody cinematography. I've always liked Francis Lederer in Return of Dracula, and he's great here as an unusually complex and realistic mad doctor. It's a talky flick, and most of the monster carnage is confined to the last reel, but I really enjoyed it. The transfer is mostly good, too--with the exception of some REALLY annoying buzzing on the soundtrack that could easily have been filtered out. It's fairly constant through a couple reels.

I'm guessing the last 3 will deliver the over-the-top cheesiness I was expecting?

Erick H. likes this.