Severin - Upcoming Blu-Ray releases

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Mar 31, 2015.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/severinfil...bqnaaXYF20LuSfZmIt4r-08cbYSij162Nmc&__tn__=-R

Nailwraps and Kim Bruun like this.
  2. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I received replacement discs for The Changeling with my copy of the Anthroppahgous / Absurd boxset.

The Joker, Nailwraps and x666x like this.
  3. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I saw something from Severin a week or so ago that the replacement Changeling discs were about to ship, so I'm hoping mine will arrive shortly.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Mine should arrive tomorrow. If you check USPS Informed Delivery and there is a package shipped from Youngtown, AZ that would probably be it.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Got my replacement disc today!

6. Katatonia

I got mine earlier also...

There are reel change marks (large black circles at the top right of the screen) at timestamps 18:04 and 18:11 on the transfer now. They only occur for a split second, but are noticeable and annoying since they are right after each other. They weren't on the original discs, and I don't recall them being on the Second Sight release either.

Apparently Severin just copied the corrected 5.1 mix from the Second Sight release, as it's now 24-bit on the replacement disc... but the original 2.0 mix is still 16-bit.

7. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

So I take it that someone online will strip the corrected audio from the new disc and mux it with the video from from the old disc?

8. Katatonia

It wouldn't surprise me, but that seems like a lot of work just for a couple of black circles appearing in the upper right corners for split seconds each. I mean it's not that bad...and most people probably won't even care.

9. maybrick

I certainly don’t. Cigarette burns are authentic to watching a film. I’ve had to look at them for almost my entire life watching movies.

10. Katatonia

Apparently it's not just that. The picture quality on the Severin replacement disc is reportedly worse throughout the transfer than the original disc. There is far more dirt/scratches/noise than the original disc, to think that it actually came from a different source altogether.

I have yet to have a chance to watch my replacement disc fully, but people are tearing it apart on other forums. It almost sounds like the original disc (with the 2.0 audio) is actually better. Hopefully someone posts some screen comparisons soon to better compare them.

Dobby likes this.
  11. maybrick

Really? LOL. Typical. Good thing I haven't tossed the old one yet.

Classic.

12. Katatonia

This is regarding The Changeling from DVDCompare:

"UPDATE (10/10/18): When fixing the audio, Severin did a new encode of the video and inadvertently used their copy of the master pre-cleanup of the scratches and cue marks present on the negative. Check back here for any response."

So, the replacement disc is apparently the "raw" source without any additional work done to it.

This is at least the 3rd "replacement disc" that's been screwed up recently. MVD did Lionheart. Universal did the Creatures disc. And now Severin with this. It seems like any studio would want to do everything to make certain a replacement disc actually fixed the problems and didn't create any obvious new ones. Quality control must have moved to Mars or something. :cool:

Dobby, zbinks and chancetx like this.
  13. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

Does anyone by chance have a copy of the LE slipcover edition of Absurd - Anthropophagus to sell? I would like to buy a copy if someone is willing to part with theirs.

14. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

It's awfully hard to take small label "we hardly make anything on these releases" bitching seriously when they can't even bother to spend a few extra minutes to ensure they're doing right by their customers. Having to issue a replacement disc for a replacement disc may not definitively mean you don't give a f____, but it certainly suggests that's the case.

Katatonia likes this.
  15. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Know what? I am moving on from this Changeling fiasco. I'll just watch the first disc with the mono audio. I assume the soundtrack replacement is fine?

This was just a botched release where Severin let their guard down...twice unfortunately.

I want them to now concentrate their efforts on the Blood Island package. I hope they can nail this release.

16. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Received an email that the Dr. Lorca head bundle has shipped.

x666x likes this.
  17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100%. I just wanted to point out about MVD and how they handled Lionheart, imho they responded without any hesitation. They admitted their mistake, and did the best they could to make it painless for the customer. Sure it wasn't a good look when they sent out wrong replacements, but they made it right in the end pretty quickly.

Katatonia likes this.
  18. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I missed out on that bundle so I went ahead and ordered the mask separately on Friday and I already received it yesterday! I've loved that toothy creature's face since I was a little kid, so I just had to have it.
    https://www.trickortreatstudios.com/conceptual/monsters/beast-of-blood-beast-mask.html

In my opinion the paint job doesn't look as good as the photos on the website though. The teeth and exposed skull are a bit dark and don't "pop" as well. Maybe I'm just nitpicking though- I've never spent $50 on a mask before.

19. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

If it is anything like what I've observed in the software industry lately, its usually a combination of outsourcing, hyper fixation on being fast to market, and disconnected management where short sighted decisions to cut costs are made by management separate from the management responsible for delivering the product.
    • Production done out of house reduces the opportunities to quality control the product as it is initially rolling off the line. Yes, there are opportunities to see the "final master", but what is submitted as the final master and what the assembly line is tooled to produce don't always match up. Particularly if there are any last minute changes or requirement confusions.
    • Time to market is God in modern corporate mindsets. Out early with a crap product trumps out late with a good product. The assumptions are the customer will suck it up anyway, or the issue can be fixed post release after sales revenue has already been collected, or PR can spin the issue to minimize damage. Its not that there is an intention to release shit, its that companies habitually make ridiculously optimistic assumptions of problem free deliverables and then either refuse to adjust delivery dates when inevitable problems arise or make such a rush problems aren't checked for.
    • It is not uncommon that the management that does budgeting and resource allocation planning for that budget has no accountability for actually assuring delivery or quality. The management responsible for product delivery is a separate organization that has to work within the budgetary constraints handed to them. And one low hanging fruit modern companies look at for cost savings is the quality assurance phase. After all, its a distinct org that doesn't actually "produce" anything, adds time to the requirements gathering and design phase (test planning), and delays time to market by adding a phase between post production and product release. So why not just assume nothing can go wrong, and then reap all kinds of savings by cutting that "unnecessary" QA group out of the pipeline? Bonuses all around for saving the company money and promising quicker time to market, and if something does go wrong its the manufacturing group's fault for bungling things up (they shouldn't have made any mistakes). The costs of fixing things post release are a different budget bucket that is conveniently isolated from the original cost allocation (after all, the product did "release" on schedule, right?). And if anyone declares the emperor is naked by pointing out the bottom line cost, its easy to declare the problems are a one time anomaly, that the lesson has been learned and it will never happen again.

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

As many of you have already guessed, Sergio Martino's classic giallo ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK is dropping during our Black Friday sale! Our release features a new 4K scan from the original negative and this eye popping film has never looked better! We'll be announcing a companion release to this title, plus info on a limited edition dual slipcase, this coming Monday, November 12th. Special features listed below:

*They're Coming To Get You - Alternate US Cut

*Color My Nightmare - Interview with Director Sergio Martino

*Last Of The Mohicans - Interview with Screenwriter Ernesto Gastaldi

*Giallo is the Color - Interviews with Actor George Hilton & Italian Horror Expert Antonio Tentori

*Audio Commentary with Kat Ellinger, Author of All The Colors of Sergio Martino

*Trailers

[​IMG]

zbinks, Katatonia, Kim Bruun and 3 others like this.