Second Sight (UK): Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Martin (1978)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm stuck with zavvi, and for some reason I can't get tracked delivery

2. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Diabolik pre-orders are up:

BD: https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product...d-second-sight-uk-7-disc-cd-blu-ray-region-b/

UHD: https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product...cond-sight-uk-7-disc-cd-uhd-blu-ray-region-b/

I didn't see this anywhere on the site but my friend mentioned to me that they were supposedly only taking pre-orders for this today and tomorrow. Wound up ordering from them since they take the money up front, which I prefer. Now I got this paid for and just have to sit back and wait for it to arrive in Oct./Nov. ...and cancel the Zavvi pre-order.

zbinks, russweiss and Katatonia like this.
  3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Yes, they just posted this on their Facebook page re: the pre-order being only for today and tomorrow:

"The UK Dawn of the Dead has really turned into an enigma for us. I won't go into any specifics about why we are making this decision but we are only taking preorders today and tomorrow. After that we won't have anymore to sell or save. It is possible we have plenty when October comes and we can offer more to sell but if you want to lock in your order, please do so now. Although it does say this on the product page, here is a reminder that we take payment now and we don't offer cancellations on preorders."

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/?s=dawn+of+the+dead+second+sight

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I honestly don't know what they mean by that, but it's interesting to say the least...

I went ahead and pre-ordered the UHD set from Diabolik and cancelled my Base pre-order. Sure it'll cost a little more... but at least I know it'll be packed well and I won't have to wait forever for it to arrive to me from the UK. I'm still waiting on a couple of packages from the UK right now that are approaching two months (Royal Mail) and who knows how long these delays are going to continue. Plus, that time of year is generally expensive, so it's best to just pay in advance right now and be done with it.

gobad2003 likes this.
  5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

This is a must own for me, so I just ordered both sets from Diabolik. I'll keep my pre-order from Zavvi just in case.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Hrm... $8 shipping and handling? A total ~$20 premium for the feels? The #FOMO is real yet I can't help but think I'll eventually be able to put in a pre-order at Amazon.co.uk in the next few months.

I've been hard passing on a lot of stuff recently and the more difficult soft pass on still others. I ended up scrounging around and paying more for the Shinya Tsukamoto boxset that I would have liked because I under estimated the demand on that item. But you can't over estimate the demand for Dawn of the Dead. That's what's driving DiabolikDVD's decision on this and they're not wrong.

7. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Grrr....I'm currently on Blu, not looking to go UHD anytime soon but know I will eventually. These sets leave me in the position of having to choose, if I buy them at all.

8. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Fully concur. I rethought my decision to get the full Flash Gordon set, when I realized almost everything in the limited set was junk I didn't care for and the rest was stuff I'd look at once. All of it, except for the movie, was stuff I'd have to find room for. Its all just becoming conversion of cash to clutter, and that's not as alluring a prospect as it used to be.

On Dawn, I think I'd be quite satisfied with a high quality Theatrical and Extended cut and about half the extras. Blu now, UHD for later. Honestly I don't even think I'd listen to the Goblin CD more than once.

9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I caved. Damnit. Those CDs got me in the end.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Blu-ray vs. UHD is the dilemma for me too. I'll be going UHD sooner rather than later but as a plasma man I'm not happy with the current TV offerings. The library music CDs are my big want but the book is interesting too. So if I'm going to be keeping the set around I might as well get UHD.

Clock's ticking... I'm still leaning towards waiting for Amazon to lift the restrictions and being able to order it ~$20 less. If I'm wrong I'll live another day and try again on the 8K set. :p

11. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product...d-second-sight-uk-7-disc-cd-blu-ray-region-b/
    https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product...cond-sight-uk-7-disc-cd-uhd-blu-ray-region-b/

X-human likes this.
  12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

X-human likes this.
  13. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Here is the UHD.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B089267ZTF/ref=tmm_fbs_blu_title_1?ie=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I told myself that I would wait for a standard edition, but I couldn’t stop myself from pre-ordering the UHD.
    Thankfully they don’t pull the money until it’s time to ship the movie, so I still have some time to think about what I have done :D

With shipping included, I will cost me 1100skr (about $115).
    I haven’t paid that much for a movie, since those special edition laserdiscs, back in the mid 90:s.

Madness :D

14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I was only referring to people living in the United States. Amazon UK wasn't allowing shipping of either set until today when the blu-ray became available. The 4K set (at least earlier) still wasn't able to ship to the U.S.

Also I remember the expensive laserdisc days. I purchased several of the Japanese Godzilla box sets. They were beautiful and had tons of extras but weren't English friendly.

15. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

Damn , still not to Norway...

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I wish they'd release a more standard set for the UHD's to go along with the current massive one. I'd like to see this in 4k but I'm not sure it'll be worth the price with all the extras I don't really need and the fact that the movie hasn't quite gelled with me the last few times I watched it.

17. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

For other Norwegians If zavvi is too expensive, og looks like CDON will carry it...
    Anyone know is they can be trusted for import release?

18. foller

foller Active Member

I think the outer box looks great but it's just a lazy digipack. I would have bought it had it come with individual cases for each version. There will be other versions down the road.

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Really? I've not seen anything of the inside contents of the box. I HATE digipacks. They're super awkward and take up ridiculous space once you unfold them to get a disc out. I find it hard to believe anyone will still use them, they're awful.

20. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I canceled my pre-order.
    It’s just too much money for one movie.
    Also, I want to see some reviews first.
    There have been so many releases with fucked up sound, compression etc from cult labels, that I don’t wanna take the risk on such an expensive release.

wago70, hots4 and Zombie Dude like this.