Second Sight (UK): Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Martin (1978)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

It's all good :) So what are your thoughts on this set? Buy it now or wait and hope for a less bloated edition? I mean I doubt I'd read the novelization. The one with Essays and stills sounds like it'd be a nice one to flick through though. The cd's don't interest me much but I see their appeal with certain films. I just haven't ever played any I've got in other sets in the past. I'm mainly interested in the 4k and checking out the Euro cut which I've never had a chance to see yet.

2. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

Didn't they say online retailers would also carry these?

3. sinister

sinister Active Member

Their site seems very slow to respond this morning so I wonder if that's people checking for the pre-order going up already. It'll probably be like the Arrow "The Thing" boxed set, where it sells out very quickly and then ebay is full of sellers showing pics of 10-20 sets for sale.

It says UK shipping is free for orders over £50 so that means even single orders of this set will ship free and I don't have to order them all at once to minimise shipping costs. I'm still gonna order 2 BD sets as soon as it goes live, but I can order more copies separately for you guys later if required, at least until it sells out.

Airmail tracked shipping for 1 set to Australia would likely cost around £12-£15 I think.

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

These sets are my holy grail (I pre-ordered both). I have the novelization already which is very good. I would wait if you aren't a die hard fan.

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

There will definitely be standard editions coming . Not sure how long you will have to wait but if they sell quick then it shouldn't be too long. With this being an October release I doubt we will see anything before 2021.

6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

These sets can be ordered from Zavvi if you live in the United States. They are the same price as on the Second Site webpage. They are not cheap. I ordered one of each set and it was $220.00 including shipping.

7. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Pre-ordered, finally!!! Got one of each since I don't have a 4K setup and want to have Dawn of the Dead ready to go for whenever that happens (hopefully not anytime soon...). I was somewhat inclined to just order the BD set and count on a regular edition of the UHD set without all the extra stuff later to save some money but we all know what will happen if I do that...

Mine came to just under 171GBP (~209USD) for the 2 sets so I'm wondering if they gave you better shipping options or something when you checked out (only one option for me, standard shipping).

buck135 likes this.
  8. russweiss

I used Paypal and the price was converted to $220. The charge is actually £173.47. There was also tax added so perhaps that had something to do with it. I've just glad I was able to place a pre-order. I'm always paranoid that limited editions will sell out before I can get a copy.

9. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

10. sinister

sinister Active Member

11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I don’t have a 4K setup yet but just did the Zavvi 4K Ltd Ed. What the hell.

Myron Breck, buck135 and MorallySound like this.
  12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Same. Pre-ordered the UHD set! It's still 5 months away, so plenty of time to upgrade before it arrives.

Angelman likes this.
  13. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Amazon UK now has the pre-order up, but the item doesn't ship to the U.S. I ordered the Blu-ray edition from base.com for £60.02 to make sure I got an order in. Will see what price Diabolik eventually has because I definitely trust them to package things well and not cancel orders when they realize they don't have enough stock (always a worry with limited editions).

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Katatonia likes this.
  14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I did the same from Base. I just don't trust Zavvi the way they're known to ship just about anything in thin bubble mailers. If Diabolik puts it up I'll cancel it and order there...

The Flash Gordon set could eventually be pre-ordered from Amazon UK. It's surprising this can't be...yet.

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I pre-ordered through Zavvi. I've never had issues with them and I've always gotten my shipments in the States rather quickly. I've already had one package from Amazon.uk go missing in the last couple of months and I've never heard of Base until the other day. I know it sounds ridiculous to most, but I don't care if the boxes get dinged as long as I actually get them and the discs are intact.

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I ordered the UHD set off Base.com, they knock off the VAT (whereas they don’t on Zavvi) so for me it was a no-brainer.

I cannot wait for this. Dawn of the Dead has needed a new restoration for like 15 years. The old Anchor Bay blu-ray looks like fucking garbage now.

~Matt

russweiss, Katatonia and Angelman like this.
  17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, the VAT and Zavvi also adds "sales tax" for here which is a bunch of bull.

In the end, it's about $30+ cheaper to order it through Base if you live in the US. That's a pretty big difference in price.

Matt89 and russweiss like this.
  18. russweiss

I double checked and it was £43 less when ordering both units from Base.com so I cancelled my order through Zavvi. Thank you.

19. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/SecondSightFilms/photos/a.155124601288648/1828934630574295/

Katatonia and MorallySound like this.
  20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Myron Breck and fattyjoe37 like this.