Second Sight (UK): Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Martin (1978)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah this is incredible. I'm so glad I made the jump to UHD last year. That Italian UHD is one of the most garbage looking 4K transfers I've ever seen so it's not like it would be hard to outdo. It looks barely better than a mediocre blu-ray taken from a shoddy print.

I was happy enough that this was getting remastered on blu-ray but I never expected a UHD. With an HDR grade, no less (the Italian 4K was SDR). Hopefully it'll be in Dolby Vision, too.

~Matt

buck135 likes this.
  2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Stop making me second guess my purchase of the Italian 4k Matt. :)

Anyway, I'll be watching this one close as I never have a problem buying this movie over and over.

buck135 and Matt89 like this.
  3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

from what was posted on blu ray.com, all 3 cuts will be on the UHD

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Based on Second Sight's description it sounded like all three will be on UHD but it seems too good to be true! Since they probably can't use seamless branching when they're doing a unique restoration on each cut(*) I imagine they would have each cut on a separate UHD disc. So I wonder if they'll include the regular Blu-rays with the UHD release? This might be a situation where they wouldn't because otherwise that could be at least six discs! And that may be costly. Not counting any grandiose extras that would require another disc.

I took a quick look on eBay to see what the Italian UHD disc is selling for and it didn't look like all that much. So I may just keep mine. The old Anchor Bay DVD set sold for a decent amount though. I may sell that as realistically I'll never return to it.

(*) It'd be possible to assess each cut, determine identical (or even nearly identical) sequences and just use the best source source as the master for all and insert the alternative footage. But it sounds like it would be too impractical in this case.

5. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

They could probably get away with four discs for a complete BD/UHD set (2 cuts on one disc, 3rd cut + bonus features on a second disc for both the BD and the UHD). That way it would be a future-proof set for those who have yet to upgrade to 4K.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Perhaps. Seems like every release so far has put each cut on its own disc. Even the Italian disc had the Argento Cut on two separate discs; one for widescreen another for unmatted full frame. But then it could be more of a marketing thing; "3 DISC SET!!!" . But I haven't really compared the storage ratios in UHD. I occasionally read concerns about longer cuts with seamless branching like on the extended King Kong but no real complaints.

7. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Second Sight teases new bonus material on Twitter:

"DAWN OF THE DEAD location shoot moves into the Monroeville Mall with Tom Savini, Michael Gornick, Tom Dubensky and Taso Stavrakis. More from our ‘access all areas’ tour to follow!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

buck135 and X-human like this.
  8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Woah... Is the Manson looking guy Savini?!? Or did he cut his hair and he has just the goatee? There's not a good look at that guy's face.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Yeah I was having trouble, on closer inspection, it's the guy with the dark goatee, not the grey goatee fella.

10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Guy with the grey beard/long hair is Taso Stavrakis.

X-human likes this.
  11. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Some more photos from the shoot...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

buck135 and gobad2003 like this.
  12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I keep seeing the location featurette teases for this and Martin on FB and I'm like:

[​IMG]

I went to the Monroeville Mall a few years ago, back when the JC Penny was in its original location (I've heard it was moved). There was a little zombie museum on the first floor.

Monroeville Mall was one of my first location visits and I took maybe 5 pictures. Digital camera, don't think I had a smartphone. Yesterday I visited the camp from Friday The 13th: Jason Lives and I took over 100 pictures and a few videos. How times change.

Natas, buck135 and gobad2003 like this.