Second Sight (UK): Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Martin (1978)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jan 13, 2019.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

The limited edition I'm sure will continue to go up in the future. The standard edition probably depends on how many copies were pressed and if it gets a release in the U.S.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  2. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

A small bit of news on Martin, looks like it will be UHD and BD:
    [​IMG]

Let's hope it's a combo pack and not separate releases, but if Dawn of the Dead is any indication...

Matt89, zbinks, Zombie Dude and 5 others like this.
  3. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Late Summer? Lol - I don't think so. They've just begun the restoration. Maybe by Christmas but even that is pushing it. How many times was DotD pushed back before it made landfall? 3?

f.ramses likes this.
  4. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I like your pessimism, my first thought was that we will definitely not be seeing this release "late summer" but I would really love for them to prove us wrong!

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I mean, there's a chance they've already been working on this newer scan for a while and only decided to share now? I don't recall their reasoning for delaying the Dawn release though. Either way I'm happy to get this in 4k when it's available. It's really awesome they were able to find a good quality negative for this.

russweiss likes this.
  6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

They initially announced this a WHILE back, around the time the Dawn specs were finalized and said then that they had just started working on the restoration for Martin and that it would still be a while before it saw a release. I can totally see it coming late summer. They've been working on Martin for a while, they're only now just tweeting about it.

That being said, definitely picking up the UHD. If it's anything like their Dawn restoration, it'll look incredible.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Another new update here:

https://www.facebook.com/SecondSightFilms/posts/2200912220043199

*MARTIN update*

Originally planned as a Blu-ray only release many will know we had a change of mind and decided on a 4K UHD release as well. This meant going back to create the HDR grade and restoring in 4K which is now underway but will take some time. We're not expecting to release until early 2022 but we hope you'll agree worth the wait.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    hots4, studio1, buck135 and 3 others like this.
  8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Unbelievable news - Romero’s original 3.5-hour B&W Director’s Cut of Martin has been found! This has not screened or been seen and has been lost since the original test screenings back in 1976!

Posted by “Ronald Gorewood” (aka DOP Michael Gornick using a pseudonym) on Facebook:

“I simply can't say enough about the efforts of KEVIN KRIESS and THE LIVING DEAD MUSEUM in locating the seldom (if ever) seen, black and white, 16mm version of MARTIN. This "Director's Cut" of some three and a half hours in length was always Romero's preferred version. May it soon return safely to the custody of Richard Rubinstein and Braddock Associates for digital revitalization and distribution to the world.

Note: This photo depicts Reel #1 of 3 (see attached photo). The hand written label is one that I prepared back in 1976. To my knowledge, this is the only existing version of this Romero classic.”

No confirmation yet if this new long lost cut will be included on upcoming Second Sights release, but I’d guess the delay on the release is likely so they could include this version - hopefully. Fingers crossed!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Egads! I'm not even sure there's a comparison to be made about this. Simply wonderful news that it exists and has been found.

Unfortunately it seems unlikely Second Sight will be releasing it any time soon, as it'll be a long ways off from home video. Some great points have been made about it not only needing restoration but probably running the festival circuit a year or two (like The Amusement Park has). Even then, 16mm does not require UHD for example. So I'm not anticipating this affecting the Second Sight UHD release (which will still be a "must buy").

Is a "Mischief Night" trick now a thing? Like April Fools'? Has this been verified to be THEE Michael Gornick? I wrote this off as no longer existing so long ago that I'm having trouble even wrapping my mind around it as still existing to be found.

f.ramses likes this.
  11. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

That's some amazing news but I'm definitely putting off getting too excited about it until there's a confirmed physical release, which I'm sure is inevitable even if it's not part of the Second Sight release. PLEASE just be part of the Second Sight release though, don't jerk us around...

12. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

*drools*

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Martin itself originated and was shot on 16mm, so it's not just this recently found Director's Cut print that's on 16mm.

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ah, so it is.

I don't want to disparage using 4k or even 8k on 16mm/8mm. There's absolutely advantages to going above and beyond so the UHD is still the way to go for me.

15. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/SecondSightFilms/posts/2312947765506310

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Second Sight will have a long wait, as I'm certain Rubinstein is going to want to milk this on the festival circuit which will take some years. That Second Sight hasn't even gotten feedback from Rubinstein is :rolleyes:.

Not that Second Sight shouldn't try, but I expect we're first going to get an edition sans the workprint. If so, it's in SS's best interest to get this out there well before word of the workprint circulates too much.

17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

18. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Heard on another forum that Second Sight wasn't able to acquire the director's cut and then saw today that the owner is trying to sell it from their site and if it doesn't sell by the 10th it will be auctioned off.

https://www.georgeromerobwmartindirectorscut.com/

lol

Steel76, Katatonia and russweiss like this.
  19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ugh. Very questionable that he legally owns these prints. Unless the lawyer took the prints in lieu of payment (doubtful) they didn't own the prints. And it's a rather incompetent website to boot. To contact them they say you need to fill out a "form," then they don't provide you with a form. :rolleyes:

f.ramses likes this.
  20. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Almost feels like a April Fools joke?