Second Sight (UK): Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Martin (1978)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jan 13, 2019.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

About 2 weeks ago, I had a pending charge from Amazon UK for this. That pending charge was quickly gone. Was getting a little nervous that my August order for the Blu-ray set would not be filled. Got my shipping confirmation today!

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Maybe it's one of those things where you have to just get used to it and the next time you sit down and watch it you'll appreciate it more. From what I'm hearing it's amazing. Sometimes having a film with a cruddy transfer for so long, you get used to it. I felt this slightly with Arrow's Alice Sweet Alice which is night and day difference from the old print but also made the film feel off on my first sit though the other night. I just need to get used to it looking so much better :D

sinister likes this.
  3. roderick

roderick New Member

don't get me wrong i am not saying it is a bad transfer.the transfer is excellent.i watched it again yesterday and it bothered me less because i knew what to expect.one thing that i will say for it that i noticed is that there is something about the look of it where i thought this looks like it could have happened right after notld.what is bothering me about it is blueish color timing throughout the film.it is just enough to make colors often look unnatural.that is why i compared the effect to the german suspiria transfer.it has this yellow piss colored tint throughout the film that alters everything in a way that just doesn't look right.it is the same thing here just to a lesser extent.while watching it i just can't help but think that looks wrong and it is very distracting to me.thing is i don't really mind the revisionism we see on a lot of transfers.the new halloween 4k and the house bu the cemetery for example look much different from the earlier versions but still look fantastic.the colors still look believable and natural.another way to explain it is the difference between the shout and arrow versions of the thing.i prefer the arrow version as i feel it is the more faithful to the intended look of the film but i can watch the shout and still enjoy it because taken in it's own context it still looks natural to me.i only notice it's flaws in direct comparison to the arrow version.with this i notice it from beginning to end and i can't stop myself from thinking this looks strange.hopefully overtime i will grow accustomed to it and come to appreciate it more.it's really not a big deal.i can always sell it later down the line and probably get my money back out of it doesn't grow on me.

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I finally received my sets (4K and Blu-ray). I watched the UHD theatrical cut. Oh my. I own countless versions of Dawn from Laserdisc on, and I'm happy to say I'll never need to buy another.

The restoration has exceeded my expectations. There are several soft scenes, but that is how they were shot. The scenes that are in focus are breathtaking. I said "Wow" constantly. I noticed things I've never seen before. The audio is amazing as well.

Thank you Second Sight. I can't wait to watch the other two cuts as well as the bonus disc.

5. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

So far I've checked out the theatrical cut and the Argento cut on BD. With the theatrical version I was surprised by how different it looked but overall I really liked it and was very impressed by the quality and the way it made little insignificant details noticeable for the first time. I feel like the different colors really worked for it and since it was sanctioned by Michael Gornick I also feel like I can just assume that this was the intended look and not worry about it even though I wouldn't be surprised by a different result if the same person were to supervise a restoration years later. I assume that the Extended cut will look the same as the theatrical cut and really look forward to checking it out tomorrow on Black Friday, it seems fitting...

Don't mean to be a showoff and I'm sure some will have other editions but I started thinking about how many times I'd purchased this movie over the years and the next thing I knew I had most of them all laid out. Actually wanted to grab my VHS copies when I was at my parents house earlier but said 'fuck it' when I couldn't find all of them.

[​IMG]

Hopefully this is the last time I buy this unless there is another physical format after UHD, but I could see myself getting suckered into a UHD release of the 'Complete Cut' or any release, official or not, of what weird Japanese TV cut that I still haven't been able to see. I remember thinking “Yep, never need to buy this again!” when I bought the Anchor Bay DVD set... I don't have a 4K TV or a UHD player but I just couldn't not buy the UHD release and I look forward to seeing this look even better at some point.

fattyjoe37, buck135, sinister and 3 others like this.
  6. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I received the UHD from Amazon UK. Flimsy box, no padding - of course the DAWN box is dented in the corners ON THE FRONT (the rear is fine o_Oo_O). I know this will not stay sealed as there's no reason since the condition isn't great. I just need to get a player for this soon.
    I wonder if I should have gotten the Blu Ray instead.:confused:
    Those damn rounded corner dents are really annoying. :eek:

7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I had a similar issue with UK Amazon. They should really use regular boxes and the not the cardboard mailers when shipping overseas. I'm sure a certain percentage of movies must fall right out of the mailers. My box had some slight dings on a couple of corners but not enough of an issue to request a return/refund.

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I ordered the Blu-ray set from Amazon UK after having my orders cancelled by 2 other places. It arrived today and I opened the box to see a banged up package (every corner had damage) and that they had sent me the UHD version instead of regular Blu. I contemplated trying to return via Amazon, but they were sold out of the Blu-ray only version. I also know that they've charged me to ship movies back from the states in the past and I don't wanna be out of money because they sent the wrong product and I had to return it. So I decided I don't need the set and will just sell the UHD. Maybe if I see a good value for the Blu-ray set I'll get it, but seeing that all other listings seem to have varying degrees of damage from shipping I'll probably miss out on the books and get a disc only re-release down the line. Moral of the story: Only order collector's editions in special packaging from Diabolik DVD!

wago70 likes this.
  9. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I posted this on Blu-ray.com but wanted to share it here too:

My set arrived today from Amazon and my first words upon seeing the Amazon box were "Uh oh". As you can see, it looks like the box spent a few hours falling down the stairs.

[​IMG]

But luckily there was a very small piece of paper protecting one corner.

[​IMG]

All of the corners are dinged, this is the worst of the bunch (I haven't opened it so who knows how the bottom looks underneath that flap piece).

[​IMG]

Zombie Dude and wago70 like this.
  10. russweiss

My 4K set arrived today from Amazon UK and this time it was shipped in a box. This provided much better protection than the cardboard mailer that they sent the blu-ray set in. It arrived in near perfect condition. I'm still waiting for Diabolik's order and will see how well they packaged.

11. wago70

Yeah - I could have taken those pics - our boxes WERE attacked by the living dead, lol. I will keep the purchase...I'm just not sure when/if/how/where I will get a UHD player on my current budget. I have a zone free blu ray player which is why I feel I should have gotten the Blu set instead.
    I want to watch it NOW not sometime in the next few years, lol.

12. russweiss

On the positive side if you decide to sell they are going around $150-$180 on Ebay which is quite a bit more than you paid. When they go out of print who knows what kind of prices people will pay.

wago70 likes this.
  13. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I talked to a rep on Amazon UK and he offered me a 54% partial refund, so I can live with the damage for that price. Might be worth a shot to contact them if your set is damaged, I think they're probably getting a lot of people complaining about damage to this set with the wafer-thin boxes they're shipping with.

14. russweiss

Thank you for mentioning this. My set had so little damage that I wouldn't feel right asking for anything. It is pretty amazing though that they ship international using some of those funky flimsy mailers. I can't imagine that boxes are that much more expensive.

15. wago70

THE BOX, THOUGH! The "green title" DAWN art will always be my favorite. I just realized I can, at least, watch the enclosed Blu Ray :). Sorry - everyone seemed to be having such luck with Black Friday, ect. I felt a little shortchanged. One should count their blessings - as I usually do...or try to.
    Now it's time to open up that old Anchor Bay blu ray and watch DAWN again...even though the real thing is happening in my city, lol.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

My 4K set finally arrived today from Diabolik, in perfect condition.

The stupid postal service had misrouted it all the way across the country to CA, and then it slowly crept back to the middle of the country to be delivered...where it should have been in the first place.

My "Priority Mail" shipment of my Mondo RAD poster took 2 full weeks to arrive the other day. I feared it was lost or stolen. I'm really fed up with the USPS this week.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Maybe they are getting a lot of complaints and not being as generous with the refunds, because I chatted with Amazon UK and even with my incorrect format plus damage I only got about a 35% refund. 5 pounds were off a future purchase, the rest was given as a refund. Must be a lot of people looking to settle up after their shoddy shipping practices.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Hrm, my Zavvi order shipped on the 13th and still is not here. My Amazon.co.uk order shipped on the 24th and it came this afternoon!

The box was a little beat up, and there was no padding in the box, but while a couple of corners pierced the wrapping the corners themselves weren't too bad; not worth complaining about anyways. So in that I'm lucky.

The hell of it is I've lost my UHD player's power cord somehow during a cleaning spree and so I can't watch it!!! :mad::mad::mad:

19. wago70

I opened up my box set from Amazon - the damage is superficial in a way since only the front has visible damage...hehehe, anyway the books and holders had no dings...BUT four discs were dislodged (the movies of course and the Goblin music CD). Only the CDs had damn scratches.
    I *was* going to let this slide until I opened the package and saw the film score by Goblin was scratched. That did it - I chatted with and described what happened and got a partial refund on my card (not the generous amounts I just saw over at Blu Ray dot com board). That was nice though. I'll listen to the CD later hopefully no skips.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's probably okay, but if it looks truly bad just spray some windex (or window cleaner) on it and buff it with an eyeglass cleaning cloth. That usually always does the trick for me with scratched CD's, unless it's just a really deep mark/scratch that can't be buffed off to any degree.

Myron Breck, Zombie Dude and wago70 like this.