Second Sight (UK): Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Martin (1978)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jan 13, 2019.

1. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

"Limited to how much cash we think we can rake in without having stuff left in the warehouse."

2. sinister

sinister Active Member

Yup, pretty amazing that there are 12000 orders for the UHD but also that there are twice as many UHD as BD orders.

I know a few folk that still just have DVD players or relatively recently switched to BD and don't personally know anyone with a UHD player at all although many have 4K TV's now.

Maybe all those extra UHD sets are the ones we'll be seeing on ebay at £200 over the next year, or until someone else releases this which will happen sooner or later in the US I assume. I can't see me ever switching to UHD but if it happens it'll be so many years away that there'll be another 4K release of this by then for sure.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well don't forget Xbox has had a UHD drive since the Xbox One now, and this console generation both Xbox and PS5 will be able to play those discs. That's going to get a lot more of these players into peoples homes.

hots4 and sinister like this.
  4. sinister

sinister Active Member

Ah, I didn't even know that, thought they just had BD drives. :D In that case I do know a few people with UHD players and 4K TV's.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. sinister

sinister Active Member

Just got shipping confirmation from Second Sight.

They're using Royal Mail rather than a courier so delivery will probably be next week.

Katatonia, MorallySound and russweiss like this.
  6. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Nice! I was expecting to see news of another delay when I saw there was a new reply here.

7. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

An unboxing of the Dawn of the Dead box. It's smaller than I expected.

Still gonna wait for the standard edition.

sinister likes this.
  8. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/DiabolikDVD/posts/10158904950898530

9. sinister

sinister Active Member

^^ Great review, but.... how the fuck did I not notice until he mentioned it that they only have mono sound on the director's cut version.

The director's cut is the only version I watch now and the Italian Midnight Factory boxed set I already have has a 5.1 track on that version. So £70 for this set and I'll likely still be picking the version I already have from the shelf.

Maybe I should just re-sell this one before I even open it and wait for someone else to release another new version. :oops:

10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    But that GREEN TITLE, though...so nice! I know what you're saying. I was a holdout until recently. I'm not sure how clear I need this to be...I'd just like a nice accurate color balance and black level and great sound where I don't have to keep turning up the volume to hear dialogue and turn it down during action scenes (small apartment, thin walls).

11. Zombie Dude

I hope their standard 4k release uses that same artwork.

12. Zombie Dude

God, I actually hate that disc packaging so much. We're in 2020 and we're still getting those awful fold out digipacks for discs. Is a keep case so hard? Or just separate the discs so the digipacks open like a normal case with one fold.

Steel76 likes this.
  13. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I have both Blu-ray and UHD sets preordered from Amazon UK, I should probably cancel one of them because I can't really afford two sets. I'll probably go with the UHD because it's not much more even thought I don't have a 4K TV currently. But my TV is quite old, so I don't know how much longer it has left before I need to upgrade it. Has anyone heard anything about the odds of Amazon UK actually shipping these sets to the US yet?

14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

From a covid perspective the whole country is in lockdown. It started yesterday and is set to last 4 weeks, so this may have a bearing on the shipping, if they ship, time scales etc. I've not received anything to say there will be delays or prioritising certain deliverers as they did first lockdown, so you may be ok.

15. sinister

sinister Active Member

Well my 2 boxed sets arrived yesterday. I got one as a gift for a friend so decided to open that one and check it out, since I couldn't see my mate complaining about it being opened as he wasn't paying for it anyway. :) And if I wasn't happy with it due to the mono sound on the extended cut I could then sell the sealed copy and stick with the Italian Midnight Factory release for myself.

First thing to mention is that it is region B locked, can't remember if that was confirmed before or not.

The picture quality is definitely better than the Italian set, not a *huge* difference as the Midnight Factory one was pretty decent, but enough to be noticeable and to justify the upgrade by itself if you're a big fan of the movie. Although if you're not into all the extra stuff I can see waiting for a normal release being the way to go to save some cash and some shelf space.

For me the major upgrade here is the soundtrack, on the theatrical cut at least. They're not just using the existing 5.1 remix from the Italian set , this is a whole new mix and it's truly amazing what they've managed to achieve with it. There's even some sub-woofer action which was notably absent from the Italian remix. This was really the best experience I've ever had watching DOTD and it's not even my favourite cut of the movie. Even though the extended cut is my favourite version I'd now rather watch this theatrical cut with the new 5.1 mix than the extended cut in 5.1 from the Italian set.

That makes it all the more frustrating that they didn't bother to create the new 5.1 mix for the extra 10 mins of footage in the extended cut. On the menu of the extended cut they have the music in 5.1, sounds amazing... then you hit play and fuck, it's mono.

So for now this is the definitive version. And if you're favourite version is the theatrical cut then you'll likely not be buying this again anytime soon, if ever. But for fans of the extended cut we'll still be waiting for the perfect release.

The Argento cut looks the best I can remember seeing it but still significantly worse than the other 2 versions included here. It seems quite a bit darker in places (presumably intentionally) and sometimes that works well but sometimes not so much.

Anyways, I'll be keeping this set for the theatrical cut and that amazing soundtrack and this will be my version of choice for the future, at least until there's an extended cut with an equivalent soundtrack.

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Got my shipping notification for the UHD set from Zavvi on the weekend. Now fingers crossed it arrives in one piece! I still won't be able to watch it until sometime next year as that's when I plan to finally upgrade my setup to accommodate UHD/4K, but it will look real nice as a centerpiece on the shelf until then haha.

buck135, Katatonia, Angelman and 2 others like this.
  17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

My 4K set pre-order shipped from Diabolik on Sunday, but only entered the mail stream on Monday.

Insured Media Mail, looks like it should be here by Monday the 23rd.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  18. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I ordered my set from them on May 29th but have not as of yet received a confirmation. Hopefully it will ship soon.

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Ordered mine on June 2nd. Someone said they were shipping them out by last names vs. order numbers, but I don't know if that's actually true or not. My last name starts with a C though...

20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

That could be as my last name starts with a W. Also as the sets aren't numbered (to my knowledge) it wouldn't really matter one way or the other.