Scorpion Releasing Goes Blu-Ray!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Shawn Francis, Jul 20, 2012.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Katatonia likes this.
  2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Damnit where’s the Terror Train review that’s the one I wanna see lol. :D

~Matt

SilentScreams and maybrick like this.
  3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I know. I’m holding off on the Mummy movie because I may want to buy both.

4. maybrick

Still waiting on that Terror Train review.

Matt89 likes this.
  5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

7. maybrick

The review for Terror Train didn’t quite convince me to upgrade from the Scream Factory release at the moment. But I did get Mummy’s Revenge to support Scorpion so that they will maybe release the Naschy films that I do want in the future (like The Hanging Woman, hint hint...).

Angelman likes this.
  8. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I also find the screenshots not very convincing. But I have seen the new Scorpion transfer and it's without question, a very nice improvement. The reviewer even states it's in-motion superiority in text. Many little details I had never took notice of before like in the opening, flammable liquid coating the banner they drop onto the bonfire...the flames erupting from this makes you squint from the brightness. The Scream Factory release doesn't have this visceral impact at all. Nor the contrast and depth. Dark is really dark, realistically. And action decipherable in it. There are a few bizarre film related fuzzy blurred spots, the magic trick dispensing hot nuts machine comes to mind. Obviously film related. And it looks like you're watching a film. The transfer is a 1080 gem. I think Vinegar Syndrome had something to do with it. I always say that about the good ones.

maybrick and Matt89 like this.
  9. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I agree with the consensus so far - I’m sticking with what I got.

Angelman likes this.
  10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Interesting, what makes you think VS had something to do with it? Their remasters certainly have a very filmic look to them, I assume that’s what you mean? If that’s true then that’s very good news. They did amazing work on Graduation Day, The Incubus and Madman (among others - those are just the ones I own - with Madman being the Arrow release which used the VS master).

And that’s just the thing. Those over-sharpened transfers (many of which were done for the DVD era) don’t look good at all on a 4K display, all it really does is draw attention to the flaws in the master. And once you notice them, you can’t unsee it. They just look very digital and tampered with. They certainly don’t look like film, the sharpening is akin to scanner noise in the way it appears on a 4K TV as well as haloing from the edge enhancement. It’s not pretty. A lot of the older MGM masters (and Universal - they’re prob the worst offenders) have this look. They also have a bit of a magenta push that was common on a lot of these masters, it’s why when a fresh restoration is done and the colours are properly rendered people scream “teal push!!” when in reality the older scans were just too pink-looking.

When Shout went back and remastered Lifeforce and Halloween II and III, people claimed that there wasn’t much of an upgrade and in many instances they were correct. The old Uni blu-ray was taken from the negative and the new SF scan was taken from an IP. However, the scan itself, while taken from a technically inferior source, looks much more film-like than the previous Universal blu-ray, and same with Lifeforce. They used an IP on the director’s cut but the shadow detail, the black levels, stability of the image, grain, are all much better handled on the new scan than the old MGM one. It might appear “softer” but it’s only because the older masters were over-sharpened. The newer scans have this velvety look to the grain pattern and thus look much more like film. Halloween II, in motion, actually looks gorgeous. It’s my go-to disc now when I watch that film.

My copy of Terror Train is currently out for delivery so I’ll be checking this out tonight.

~Matt

11. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Not saying Vinegar Syndrome is behind the Terror Train remaster, it just looks like one of their transfers. There are more and more transfers from other labels that resemble their work (Arrow's Bloody Birthday is a dead ringer) yet, fewer to none are credited to VS anymore. Either hush, hush or their competition has perfected their craft.
    Even if you had a 2009 hdtv, you should be very happy with this Terror Train re-release!
    I still haven't seen the new Lifeforce or Halloween 2 & 3 transfers. Soon! I do love the new 1978 Piranha! (though, I think it's from the negative)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Matt89 likes this.
  12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Ah okay, yeah I get what you’re saying. I haven’t watched the new Arrow Bloody Birthday (it’s on my wishlist) but saw some screenshots and they blow away the Severin release.

And yes Piranha looks fantastic. It was taken from the negative and has all the characteristics of an o-neg scan. Another worth mentioning is the amazing job Shout did with 10 to Midnight, also from the negative. That is honestly one of the best restoration jobs they’ve done to date it looks absolutely stunning. I anticipate that Vice Squad’s new 4K scan from the negative will look very much the same.

Blue Underground is another label whose recent 4K scans also rival VS. Maniac, Deathdream, Zombie, New York Ripper, all incredible.

~Matt

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

VS does a lot of Arrow transfers (Doom Asylum, Blood Rage, The Mutilator, The Slayer, American Horror Project, etc), but if I'm not mistaken, Bloody Birthday is one of the rare ones VS didn't do.

Matt89 likes this.
  14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Arrow’s transfers are some of the best the format has to offer and I think it’s moreso that certain studios (VS, Arrow, Blue Underground, Synapse) have perfected their craft because Arrow and Synapse, for example, have been pumping out gorgeous 4K restorations for some time now.

Synapse’s Prom Night, VS’s Madman, Arrow’s Bloody Birthday, BU’s Zombie, etc all have a very similar look in how filmic they appear. I hope more studios take a page out of their books when it comes to restoring more cult films on Blu-ray/UHD.

This is how it’s done.

~Matt

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

16. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I always gave credit to Vinegar Syndrome for most of those great transfers from Grindhouse, Arrow & Blue Underground. But I should have said the sister company OCN Digital Labs. They were creating these terrific, filmic scans for all kinds of labels even before the Vinegar Syndrome label took shape. So, to me, VS rules all because of OCN Digital. There's a level of legitimacy there. But lately, no credit is given to them for any jaw dropping transfers that are coming out these days from other labels. Yet, the best transfers are a spitting image of theirs. I asked them if they were behind Maniac, Zombie, New York Ripper and Bloody Birthday. They said they weren't. But they were admittingly behind Last House on the Left, The Slayer, Driller Killer, Pieces, American Horror Project, etc, etc. This is what makes my head tilt. But whatever...I'll just try to shut up about it when I finally see Arrow's release of The Prey! I know that gut feeling will still be there.

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Popped my copy in after I got home from work and I'm quite pleased with the way it looks. You're right that it has the characteristics of a VS restoration. Nice film grain, deep blacks and shadows, the colour is really nice, it really pops. This was worth it for me, absolutely love this movie.

Two complaints: still not a fan of the artwork, I don't think it looks any better in person, but it's a minor gripe. The bigger issue, however, is that the subtitles are completely out of sync with the movie. They're off by about 3-4 seconds.

~Matt

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I do, however, love how the synopsis on the back is (mostly) the same as my old VHS. I thought that was a nice touch. :D

~Matt

chancetx likes this.
  19. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I'm glad you liked it! I'm with you on Scorpion's new artwork, as well as Scream Factory's. Thankfully both had the original poster art on the flipsides. The slipcovers I accumulate until I fill a small box and then sell them as a lot on ebay. It's important to me to stay as close to mom & pop video store on the shelf as possible. Good eye on the back cover synopsis! I hadn't noticed, nor did I activate the subtitles.
    Here's to hoping for more Scorpion 80's slasher announcements!!

Matt89 likes this.
  20. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I don’t know that I like this movie enough to double dip. The new transfer is better, but it doesn’t make David Copperfield go away.

Matt89 and x666x like this.