Scorpion Releasing Goes Blu-Ray!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Shawn Francis, Jul 20, 2012.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Fair enough. But it was 6 years ago, not 10 years. We all hate to admit that there have been DVD's with better PQ than some Blu-ray counterparts, but it does happen. So I don't know why you would bring up "scanning technologies". It all comes down to the person/company that is doing the restoration. It goes without saying that some are better than others. There are scans by some companies from years ago that are still unmatched because it was done right the first time.

Also, the new scan is from a different source with longer footage. So the "scanning technologies" "not as great as it is now today" theory doesn't fly in this situation. It's a completely different source. You basically admit this new Blu has more features and a different source with longer complete footage with deleted scenes included. Plus different audio. I've seen only one company apologize for a reissue of a previous released Blu, and it was Shout.

I appreciate your response, but it didn't really answer the main question nor the secondary question in my original post.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I'm not Scorpion but from the old info and the current info I'd say with your questions it is easy to piece together an answer that the new Death Ship release altogether is strictly limited to 1700 copies total with no repress coming but since it says slipcover while supplies last probably means that roughly 1500 slipcovers were made (amount guessed from the original announcement), so there's probably 200 copies give or take that won't come with a slip when those are sold out. As to the reissue, it's not really admitting the previous release was subpar as it was up to snuff for when it came out but why would you not re-release it using current scanning technology if your rights are still in effect and a better, longer source is found after the original release?

Zombie Dude and X-human like this.
  3. foller

foller Active Member

Walter Olsen said in one of his posts that there will be a retail version of the Death Ship Blu Ray without the slipcover and just the original artwork around October.

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Thanks. That goes against everything that was posted before about the release. They need to come right out and say this instead of hiding this info. It's dishonest tactics to sell a product imho. Even on Blu forum couple of people asked the question and got no answer. $25 for a Blu reissue because the prior release was inferior, crazy. Should be $18 at release date tops. Then drop after that.

x666x likes this.
  5. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

The first one was straight HD telecine using a lab that is no longer in business. It was done 7 years ago actually. The new one was done using the
    ]
    it was mentioned on the initial press release, just like SORORITY ROW and UNSEEN. it might have been omited from Ronins press release, which i have no control of. ig i didnt make it clear, i know i must have in one of my posts on my FB news.

this inferior discussion seems like it will lead nowhere, so you are saying if new footage are later found, or a better lab with a much better modern scanners, especially one who can do it in 2k or 4k can be done, technology that didnt exist then, , it shouldnt be done since we should have a time machine and go back in time an redo what one was only capable of 7-8 years ago? well if thats your mind set, I am guessing you are against the new Blu of DEAD AND BURIED coming out, or the new re-reissues Arrow or VS does, or Shouts LIFEFORCE, THE SHADOW, discs then? or are you just deicded to single me out since it appears you are not complaining at these on this forum from my quick search i did?

anyway, seems like this discussion will just go around in circles so i will end my comments here

gobad2003, maybrick and Zombie Dude like this.
  6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

No offence to Baggio but he's always complaining about re-issues. Personally if the film can be improved upon and it's a fave of mine then I've go no problem buying it again. In fact a lot of my favourite release I've been buying lately are all upgrades.

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

So they remaster a movie, add more features to it than the previous release but somehow it should cost LESS? Lol yeah that makes a ton of sense.

Nobody is making you buy it. Almost every studio does this when better materials become available.

~Matt

gobad2003 and Zombie Dude like this.
  8. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

That hits the nail on the head with me. I actually have stopped buying a lot of reissues. When the Dead and Buried blu came out, I didn't bother buying it recalling a rather a large amount of grain in the dvd release. So HD would just exaggerate that characteristic. Then reviews came out and backed what I was thinking too. So forget about reissues for a sec, first time bluray releases are also under my scrutiny. So now "limited to 1500" ? Who cares. What are the reviews saying? Who's releasing it? Is the packaging at least cool enough to warrant keeping once the transfer is upgraded in future releases? That is why I love the old school Arrow ltd edt packaging. Posters etc make them worth keeping even when someone rereleases the movie itself with a better scan or whatever. And if I am rushed into blind buying something because it's limited, it having a slipcover reassures me that I can probably resell it if I don't like the movie. My take.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    baggio and Matt89 like this.
  9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Ok, so now it's 7 years ago.(I said 6) So don't say 10 years. Bottom line I was almost right on target and you over exaggerated to try and sway opinions. All the while NOT answering my initial question about what was limited or what was not in your first post. THAT took members of this forum, who have nothing to do with Scorpion answer the question instead of you. That's all you had to do, clear up the confusion. You chose not to and went down another discussion.

Either way it does lead to somewhere. It's important to customers who spend good money for your and other companies products. We need to know these things. What's amazing is how insulted a Blu Ray company (especially very small) gets when confronted with pricing. Yeah, take a look around, EVERY product sold in existence to man people want a better price or fair price. But nay, this apparently doesn't apply to Blu-Ray restoration. They get insulted when a customer questions a re issue (from the the same company) You all got a big head when people started paying outlandish prices for the "limited edition" Blus a couple years ago. I knew this was going to happen(probably even posted about it), it has become the new standard.

Funny you brought up VS, Arrow, Shout. These you are not. You're not even in the same league as these companies. So don't worry about doing searches about whose complaining on who. These companies release a ton more product(so there's bound to be mistakes made) and stand behind and WILL FIX and REPLACE any problems. Again, Scorpion doesn't have this reputation. So go do a search on that.

Finally, like how you chose to be vague about details. I will be vague. Maybe I will buy Scorpion product again or maybe I won't.

P.S. - Having fun on that other forum accusing me of "claiming" that you are a "SCAM ARTIST". Really that desperate? You are a bold face liar sir. BOLD FACE LIAR. I NEVER STATED THAT EVER. You are twisting facts to get people to back you. You and your company can NEVER be trusted ever again. You were caught. You now lost the trust of the customers because you LIED about a customer with an opinion.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    x666x likes this.
  10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Oh, jesus christ. Baggio is turning into more and more of a loon as he gets on in years. :rolleyes:

If you didn’t literally call him a “scam artist” you sure have been treating him like one. Chill the fuck out.

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It may be $25 now with the slip, but when it goes wide retail in a few months it should be easy to find for $15-$20.

So if price is the issue, just wait and pick it up then. Disc is identical.

In other news, my Death Ship blu should be waiting for me when I get home!

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

WOW.

Is all I can say.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. CPT HOOK

...and it's here.

I know what I'm watching tonight.

IMG_20180604_150125.jpg

14. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Ok the word was dishonest. Not scam artist. As I thought that initial post said it, sorry

baggio likes this.
  15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I also received the Death Ship re-release in the mail today from Ronin. Won't have time to watch it until next weekend, but it looks pretty freaking awesome!

And to quote George Kennedy (Captain): "No one gets off my ship." Haven't seen this in quite a while. Look forward to revisiting!

wago70 and Scorpion like this.
  16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Thank you. I appreciate that. I apologize if things got out of hand. Was just looking for clarity on the Death Ship release details.

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I watched the new Blu-ray of Death Ship last night, and the transfer is a huge upgrade over the older Blu-ray. It looks great, and now fully uncut to boot.

It's also great that they were able to obtain the lengthy documentary from the old UK DVD and add it on the disc this time around. Now I can finally part with that old DVD!

Another thing is that the optional English subtitles do include the German "voices" (not translated to English, but in the original German). I actually do prefer it that way...since I can translate German text fairly well, just not spoken German so much. And besides, there is always that Katarina segment which goes through and translates the German vocal snippets into English.

satans-sadists likes this.
  18. CPT HOOK

Yeah, the 40 minute doc was really good. I had never seen that before. The back and forth cutting between Jack Hill and Alvin Rakoff was extremely entertaining, as neither especially cared for each other's work on the film. I'd love to see Jack Hill's version of the movie, as Rakoff repeatedly said the movie wasn't of interest to him. So great to see the late George Kennedy interviewed as well.

19. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

There's a 40 minute doc on this? That's awesome. I thought I'd read about a piece that was on a UK DVDs that people were hoping would be ported over for the US release but I wasn't sure if it was Death Ship or something else. Glad that this is finally the definitive version.

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, it's the same 40 minute doc that was on the UK DVD released by Nucleus Films back in 2007. So it's an 11+ year old doc, but still very solid and informative.

I re-watched it on the Blu-ray, and it was still quite entertaining. I had last watched the doc back in 2007 though...so I guess that's not very surprising. :p