Scarecrow Video Article I Wrote for Fangoria.com

Discussion in 'General' started by fattyjoe37, Nov 26, 2013.

1. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Thought you all might be interested in an article I wrote for Fangoria.com that went up today. I've talked a lot on here about Scarecrow Video, my local video here in Seattle that has the largest rental catalog in the country. Recently Scarecrow announced that they haven't been doing very well lately and could close if they don't have a profitable holiday season. I was asked by Fango to write something about the store since I'm kind of always talking about it on social media. The article can be found here: http://www.fangoria.com/new/last-night-of-the-scarecrow-video/

Let me know what you think and if you want to support an independent video store that has been around for 25 years, head over to www.scarecrow.com and order one of the many new or used flicks that they have for sale.

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Outstanding store and great write-up, FJ!

I love this place and its bizarre layout. I'll go there this weekend to rent a few flicks to show support.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Great article, John. I've always wanted to visit Scarecrow Video, and I hope that dream does not get crushed…

I ordered a t-shirt in support.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Wow. I have only been there once and it was, quite honestly, spiritual. I've never in my life felt so at home. They have everything. I mean EVERYTHING. If you can think of a title, it's there. Can't think of a single title? They literally have hundreds of alternates. I spent about three hours in there and almost passed out from Option Overload.

I want to live there.

5. Dave

Dave Pimp

Looks like a great place. i hope they make it through this latest shift in the industry. Good article.

6. Christy

Christy Active Member

That has to be the best article I have ever come across online. Usually everything I read online is disposable toilet friendly crap. This article gave me goosebumps and was such an enjoyable read! Anyway I hate to say it but video renting is obsolete and dead now. I honestly don't see Scarecrow video being around much longer. If they were a smaller venue they might have a better chance at surviving. I wish them all the luck in the world as they sound like a spiritual experience.

7. fattyjoe37

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. And thanks for supporting Scarecrow if you can. When I moved to Seattle after college, I made sure to get an apartment in the University District so I could be near Scarecrow. I live a little further away now, but still make the trek about once a week to grab a movie that is only available on VHS or an import that I haven't seen. I think video stores are an important part of our film history, especially ones with libraries as extensive as Scarecrows, so it makes me happy to see people getting fired up over the article and supporting the store.

8. cjg

cjg Active Member

Great article, it would be a shame for it to close.

9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I'm taking a film snob on a date there this Friday, :D. She's never been.

10. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

You're getting laid. :D

11. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

[​IMG]

12. Sinister Ash

Sinister Ash New Member

Great article. I'll checkout their online store to show some support.

13. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Excellent read. I've always wanted to go there, but living on the complete opposite side of the country has obviously prohibited such an excursion. I remember reading that Quentin Tarantino stopped in there one time out of the blue.

14. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

BTW, this is a great date spot. :D

The new cafe is a fun addition, too.

15. Christy

Christy Active Member

Hopefully they can create enough revenue to keep this place going.

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Great read! Streaming is unfortunately killing the thrill of wandering through walls and walls of movie covers, interacting with other movie fans, and more importantly getting off your couch. It's sad to say but the younger generation has no interest or nostalgia to any of this and they will be the end of it all. I wander if niche titles will eventually be lost and hard to find again, as most are left with what crap Netfilx decides to offer them.

17. fattyjoe37

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I am extremely happy to announce that we will be holding a DVD pre-release party for my film The Invoking at Scarecrow Video. The event will take place on Monday 2/17 at 7 PM in Seattle. This will be the first place that the film will be available for sale anywhere. If any Washington residents on the forum can make it, it'd be great to see them there and have a drink (Scarecrow now sells beer, soda, and coffee). More information on the event can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/events/780356121977774/?notif_t=plan_user_joined

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  18. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Are we able to buy your movie through Scarecrow via mail? I'd love to be able to support two independents with one purchase. :)

19. fattyjoe37

That's a great idea. Scarecrow sells discs through their website, so once it gets close to release date it should appear in the for sale category. Thanks!

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Hey, you're doing excellent work. Like Egg Shen, I'm one the other side of the country, so I won't be visiting any time soon. I tried to find a flick my wife and I could enjoy the other night on Netflix, On Demand and Vudu. It wasn't easy to find a movie. I really miss rental stores.