sAw II Reaction Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by KillerCannabis, Oct 28, 2005.

1. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Saw this last night right after watching sAw uncut, so I could give a good comparison. I'm still having trouble formulating an opinion about this movie. Part of me really dug it, but another part wasn't that impressed. I'll say this much, don't buy into all the hype that it's "the original cranked up to 11!" because I don't feel that was the case. It's a cool movie, decent acting. Tobin Bell gave the best performance by far. Shawnee Smith looked hot as ever, but the rest of the cast were fairly mundane. Oh yes, there was blood, but not the gallons I was expecting. The traps set up in the house were cool, but no where near as inventive as I anticipated. The wasn't much lag time, which was a major plus. I still have a problem with first time directors doing a movie straight after doing music videos since their films almost always look like one the first few times and this film wasn't an exception. Not as much quick cutting as I expected, but enough for me to comment on how lame this technique is, as we all know. Overall, I'd say I need to see it again to really let it sink in, but it was pretty good. I'd give it 3 out of 5.

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I'm still un-decided as well. Some parts were really cool, but then it seemed to lose it's way by the 3rd act. A lot seemed rushed to me, like why didn't some characters get tapes or stories or more than 2-3 minutes of screentime?
    I'll give credit that I didn't see the ending coming (I knew some twist was coming, but was way off on the details.)
    I have to say I prefer the original much more as of now.

I'm sure mentioning that LG is trying to make franchise out of this won't be considered a spoiler.
    It also probably shouldn't be considered (too late).
    I love the concept of Jigsaw, but fear where this series will go after the end of part 2.
    I loved how they ended up back where the first film took place near the end.

3. KillerCannabis

Agreed on the spoiler bigdaddy. Everyone in the audience went nuts when she opened that door. And I'll admit it put a big grin on my face and satisifed me much like the ending of the first film when Jigsaw is revealed.

4. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Have to just say I agree with Bigdaddy and KilleCanabis all the way. It's an enjoyable horror film, but like most sequels, it falls short of the original. I was frustrated too regarding the tapes. There was an opportunity for much more grisly fun to be had with different traps, etc. Some of those characters we didn't get to know at all...that's such a common fault of sequels: too many added characters. There were highs and lows I don't remember experiencing in the original film, and twist just meet my expectations. The film lacks much of the dread of the original because we know more about what's going on and there's just not as much left to surprise us. But I still had a good time and I'd recommend it, but I think fans of the original are going to be somewhat disappointed, contrary to what I've been reading.

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i will of course pass on this in theaters and pick this up on dvd hopefully lions gate wont make people double dip with just releasing an unrated version same time as theatrical on dvd though

6. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

If people are saying this isnt as good as the original theres no way I'll see this, since I thought the original was garbage. I still think its funny they're going with that 'I'm not a murderer' concept as if it's clever or something. As far as I'm concerned, when you abduct someone and design an elaborate death trap where they can easily die in a horrible way, you ARE a murderer. So dumb.

7. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I loved it.

Excellent, well made follow-up.

8. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

I thought it was great. The traps were excellent, the acting was nothing to complain about(or write home about), the ending was superb(although I fear for this franchise). The way they were able to tie the ending of 2 with what happened in 1 was very well done considdering 1 was not made with a sequel in mind. I was dissapointed that I didn't get to see the trailer for Final Destination 3, but Underworld Evolution looks pretty good. The crowds reaction to the Hostel trailer was by far the best. I think that movie is going to be a money maker.

9. bigdaddyhorse

Dang, we didn't get the Underworld trailer. :(
    I did see the FD3 trailer though, and while not as awe-inspireding as I was hoping for, I'm still very much looking forward to the film. That's a great franchise IMO, I just hope it moves the right direction and doesn't try to tie a bunch of new characters to the first 2 films. They could keep making stand alones on this concept.

As for Jigsaw, sure he's commiting crimes, but it's his motives and methods I really dig about the character.
    Also don't take my previous remarks as a diss to this film, as I'm one of 3 or 4 people who loved the first one, so the bar was set higher for me. :)

10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I was only so-so with the original,this one I liked even less,I basically predicted everything that was going to happen(including the end) and found it to be kinda tedious.I also got really tired of the endless,circular debates that the hero and villian had(Listen,follow the rules.blah blah blah).It reminded me of the old Monty Python "argument" sketch.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  11. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I thought Saw II was pretty good, despite putting a New Kid on the Block in the lead role. :rolleyes: Overall, I thought the original was better, mainly because the idea was fresh. The twist was OK, but I didn't totally buy into it. It almost seemed like it was only done for the sake of throwing a curve ball regardless of whether it made any sense.

12. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

regarding the trailers...I didn't get "Final Destination 3" or the new "Underworld",

but did get "Hostel" and a good one for "Wolf Creek".

13. KillerCannabis

Again regarding the trailers........

Hostel looks fucking bad ass. I can't wait to see this.

Underworld 2 actually looked a lot better than I expected. I think I'll have to go see this after all. I like the new designs for the vampires and werewolves (I refuse to call them 'lycans').

I didn't get a FD3 trailer, which sucks because part 2 was so much dumb, gory fun that I'm really looking forward to seeing the third one. Guess I'll have to scour the net to find it.

14. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I won't be able to use my free pass to see this for a few more days, but after a big Friday opening, most box office sites are predicting that this is going to make about 32 million this weekend. With the best case analysts predicting this would make about 22 million, it is way ahead of expectations.

Saw, love it or hate it, it does seem to be the rated R horror movie that a lot of folks will come out for.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2005
  15. Horrorfan

Horrorfan Member

I just got back from the film and was really impressed!!!!!!!! Great sequel that you have to see!!!!!!!

16. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

really? i used my free ticket from the saw two-disc special editon and got in last night, despite the fact that the lady on the phone said they weren't valid for a couple weeks. anway, great follow up i really dug it. good gore, better acting, awesome ending. i hope this does well at the box office.

17. hicksz

hicksz Guest

I thought this was a great sequel. I bought the Saw II Uncut DVD and got to see it for free. The tension started right away with the first Jigsaw Venus-Fly trap. It so hard to talk about this movie without giving away spoilers. My hat goes off to anyone who figured out the ending in advance as I didn't see it coming. I thought it was very inventive. A couple of other people posted that they liked how the this movie tied in with the first movie and I agree. I like that you find out the fate of some of the characters in the last movie. I do wish they did more character development with the people trapped in the house but maybe they didn't becasue they were actually pawns in a bigger plan? I did enjoy the conversation between Jigsaw and Dective Mason as it remind me a little of the conversations between Hannibal Lecter and Clarice Starling in Silence of the Lambs. Why do people never listen to what Jigsaw says??? If you just talk to me you will get your boy back!

Seeing the Hostel trailer was great. There nothing like seeing "Based on True Events" to perk your curiosity

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2005
  18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I just 'saw' this, hahaha, and was fairly impressed with it. I thought it would be a whole hell of a lot worse then what it is. There are quite a few flaws and some weak acting, but it was rushed to get it out there for Halloween. It was gorier and more violent then the first, but I found it followed too much of a linear pattern.
    I mean, everytime they find a new door someone is gonna die, no matter what. It became to predictable.
    The story was rather interesting and evolved rather quickly, but
    I felt it relied too much on the fact that Subject A had to do this or Subject B would not do that.
    And with the ending,
    I think they had it too planned, in the fact that they needed to make another big twist. I just don't think it worked. For instance, the ending relied on Wallberg beating up Jigsaw, because if he didn't, then Jigsaw would have lost his own game. It was as if that was forced, too forced I guess. If Wally had waited 10 more mins instead of jumping his guns, he would have had his son back, and Jiggy would be sitting there, "Well, aren't I a retard now. Hehehe."
    Anywho, it was decent, and I enjoyed it more then I thought I would. Some scenes had me cringing, like the needle pit. Ewwww! Owwwww! So I'll give it a 3.5 out of 5.

19. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

Saw 2 was great, cant wait for hostel either ,theres nothing better than seeing trailers before a movie

20. bigdaddyhorse

Does the theater near you not let you use them opening weekend, or you just can't get there til then?
    I used mine opening afternoon. Of course, they rang that ticket up as $9.50, while my gf's was 6.75, scamming bastards.